Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Front Parlor > What are you reading now?

Comments (showing 351-400 of 8,669) (8669 new)    post a comment »

message 351: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 3059 comments I do like the others that I have read. So far I've read: Angels & Demons, Digital Fortress, and The Da Vinci Code. I agree with you people seem to either like him or hate him. I also agree that you need to read his books as a work of fiction, just like its classified. I like his books because it gives me another angle to think about. Because of him I researched Templars and other religious conspiracies. I like it when a book makes me want to research things.

message 352: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 493 comments Me too Jackie!!!! I remember after The Da Vinci code I sat for hours on the internet!

message 353: by Misty (last edited Nov 13, 2009 04:02PM) (new)

Misty | 39 comments I am one of those who loaaaaaaaaaathed The da Vinci Code, but I ended up reading a different book (Mary Magdalene) afterwards. I found the subject matter fascinating, but Dan Brown's writing...not so much.
Anyway, I started We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Liking it.

message 354: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) I'm about halfway through Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald. The beginning was really fast-paced but now it seems to drag on and on and nothing seems to really be driving the story forward. I hope it picks up again soon.

message 355: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 445 comments I'm reading The Sin Eaters, a beautifully written book about outcast wanderers that takes place in the 17th century.

message 356: by Felina (new)

Felina | 631 comments For Grisham I suggest either A Time to Kill or The Rainmaker. They are both really well written and emotional. The Brethern & Testament were also excellent.

message 357: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 493 comments Finishing The Alchemist which is kind of weird to read after a fast story like Saving Faith

message 358: by Becky, Moddess (last edited Nov 15, 2009 08:42AM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3807 comments Felina wrote: "For Grisham I suggest either A Time to Kill or The Rainmaker. They are both really well written and emotional. The Brethern & Testament were also excellent."

1000000% agree.

*About A Time To Kill and The Rainmaker - I haven't read the others. :P *

message 359: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 111 comments So I'm still reading The Lost Symbol... oddly enough it's not as compelling as Angels and Demons was... maybe because I adore Roman art, architecture and history, but so far, I'm not drawn in like I was with DaVinci Code or A&D.

message 360: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 5 comments Becky wrote: "Felina wrote: "For Grisham I suggest either A Time to Kill or The Rainmaker. They are both really well written and emotional. The Brethern & Testament were also excellent."

1000000% agree.

*About..."

I just finished reading The Last Juror and was a bit disappointed.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Susanna wrote: "I'm about halfway through Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald. The beginning was really fast-paced but now it seems to drag on and on and nothing seems to really be driving the story forward...."

That one was hard for me Susanna. I finished it, but it never really did pick back up for me.

message 362: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Nov 19, 2009 08:44PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I am currently reading A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly, and The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama. I have never read Jennifer Donnelly before, and I LOVE Gail Tsukiyama's writing. Her style is so lyrical.

message 363: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Lyn wrote: "That one was hard for me Susanna. I finished it, but it never really did pick back up for me."

I loved the ending but the middle dragged for me. Not an excellent book in my opinion but it's okay to read once imho.

message 364: by Beadyjan (new)

Beadyjan | 6 comments Having just finished Gideon the cutpurse aimed at younger readers I decided I wanted something a bit meatier so have started Pillars of the earth which would seem to contain everything I like in a book.

message 365: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) I got The Heretic's Daughter through inter-library loan and I'm about halfway now. I keep waiting for the story to begin. I shouldn't read the descriptions on the back cover because they make for quite big expectations. Well, for me, anyway.

message 366: by Felina (last edited Nov 20, 2009 09:35AM) (new)

Felina | 631 comments Alisha wrote: "Becky wrote: "Felina wrote: "For Grisham I suggest either A Time to Kill or The Rainmaker. They are both really well written and emotional. The Brethern & Testament were also excellent."

1000000..."

I haven't read that one. I didn't particularly enjoy The Associate either.

Like I said, Rainmaker, A Time to Kill, The Brethern & The Testament. But especially The Rainmaker...so good! Could not set them down.

message 367: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Finished The Heretic's Daughter. I liked the flow of her writing but the story itself did not interest me as much. I'll be sure to read the group read discussion post :)

Next I'll be starting Fingersmith by Sarah Waters.

message 368: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3807 comments I have The Last Juror to read, but I've never tried it yet. I don't think that any of Grisham's books can really live up to A Time To Kill or The Rainmaker for me.

I think that it's the genre. He's done so much in it, that it just doesn't pack the same punch. Kind of like Robin Cook with his medical thrillers. Outbreak was great, but then his other books not so much.

*Shrug*

message 369: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 111 comments The next historical fiction book I'm hoping to get started this week (maybe) is Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran... has anyone read it? I liked her Nefertiti books... easy to read but still transports you back in time.

message 370: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 52 comments I am reading Snow by Orhan Pamuk. It is a better read for me than My Name is Red, another Pamuk book.

message 371: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) I'm finally into another historical novel, At Swim, Two Boys A Novel by Jamie O'Neill. It's set in Ireland in 1915. The language and dialogue is very Irish and took some getting into. But now I've fallen completely in love with it and the characters. It's wonderful so far.

message 372: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Finally, I'll start The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Though it'll have to wait until tomorrow since it's 2 AM.

message 373: by Donna (new)

Donna | 149 comments I just started The Coral Thief by Rebecca Stott and so far very interesting.

message 374: by Jon (new)

Jon | 374 comments Im reading Artist in a Floating world, is interesting to be reading it and comparing it to Remains of the Day, more similarities than i would have expected

message 376: by Misty (new)

Misty | 39 comments I'm reading The 19th Wife, and I'm loving it. There is definitely some historical appeal, but it's more than that.

message 377: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 111 comments Dropped all historical fiction to power thru book club choice The Hunger Games for our Sunday meeting... I usually like YA, so I hope I like this one.

message 378: by Misty (new)

Misty | 39 comments Oh, it's soooooooooooo good!

message 379: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (katharineb) | 9 comments Susanna wrote: "Finished The Heretic's Daughter. I liked the flow of her writing but the story itself did not interest me as much. I'll be sure to read the group read discussion post :)

Next I'll be starting Fing..."

Susanna, Fingersmith is so great! It's my favorite Sarah Waters -- full of excellent twists and turns. Hope you enjoy it!

message 380: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 3059 comments Heidi wrote: "Dropped all historical fiction to power thru book club choice The Hunger Games for our Sunday meeting... I usually like YA, so I hope I like this one."

I think this is one of my top books for 2009. I hope you enjoy it :-)

message 381: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 60 comments I'm reading Pretties, the second in Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series. I'm not sure if I posted that I recently read two good historical fictions by Louis Bayard, The Black Tower and The Pale Blue Eye A Novel. I need to line up another historical fiction before the year ends.

message 382: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Katharine wrote: "Susanna, Fingersmith is so great! It's my favorite Sarah Waters -- full of excellent twists and turns. Hope you enjoy it!"

I've only read Fingersmith and Night Watch but I'm going to read more Waters, hopefully soon. I did enjoy Fingersmith. :)

message 383: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 60 comments Allison wrote: "Where do you live? Is it an English translation?

I would kill to get my hands on that."

Hey Allison, I just ordered The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest from The Book Depository.com.uk. I can't remember how I came across it, and I've never ordered from The Book Depository before, but it was free shipping, so I took a chance. I didn't want to wait until next summer for it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

message 384: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 3059 comments I have a couple of books going:

A Breath of Snow and Ashes
The Mummy Case- audio
Shiver

message 385: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 60 comments Jackie wrote: "I have a couple of books going:

A Breath of Snow and Ashes
The Mummy Case- audio
Shiver"

I loved A Breath of Snow and Ashes and Shiver, two of my favorite books. I haven't read The Mummy Case. I'll have to check it out.

message 386: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 3059 comments Amelia Peabody is a hoot! I'm sure you will love her.

message 387: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) I finished At Swim, Two Boys A Novel and was blown away by the writing. My favorite book this year. I'm currently reading a Louise Penny mystery The Cruelest Month.

message 388: by Chrissie (last edited Dec 05, 2009 11:00PM) (new)

Chrissie I just finished The Notebooks of Don Rigoberto. Now I am reading Arrogance A Novel. Both are about the artisit Schiele and other issues too. BOTH are more directed to adults. Llosa's book drove me crazy b/c parts I adored and parts I hated. When Rigoberto goes on and on about independence and religion and other big issues well it sounds like complete sophistry, but when he depicts relationships, Schiele and sex it is incredible. Also I was happy to read my first book by Llosa. Arrogance is just on Schiele, what happened to him and how he felt and what motivated him. It is beautifully written. The style fits the subject. Marvelous historical fiction. I am wondering if there is a thread about artists in historical fiction novels. I am very new to the group! This is the first time I have commented.

message 389: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3807 comments Chrissie wrote: "I just finished The Notebooks of Don Rigoberto. Now I am reading Arrogance A Novel. Both are about the artisit Schiele and other issues too. BOTH are more directed to a..."

Hi Chrissie, thanks for joining! We don't currently have any threads about artists in HF novels, but by all means go ahead and start one! I'm sure that there are quite a few books that share that theme, and we're open to just about anything here. Don't be shy! :)

message 390: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie OK, I will see if I can figure out where to put such a thread....

message 391: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie Just checked out Queen Margot, or, Marguerite de Valois from the library. I'm hoping to start it soon. I am just now getting ready to start The Stupidest Angel A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, Version 2.0 for another group read. It should be a quick one though. Queen Margot is over 500 pages, but the reviews look good!

message 392: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I am reading Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran. It's good so far.

message 393: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Leafed quickly through The Melancholy Death Of Oyster Boy & Other Stories by Tim Burton and will start Alcott's Little Women now as I originally planned.

message 394: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3807 comments What did you think of Oyster Boy? I love Tim Burton, and I'm really intrigued by that book, but I dunno if I want to buy it, exactly.

message 395: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Becky wrote: "What did you think of Oyster Boy? I love Tim Burton, and I'm really intrigued by that book, but I dunno if I want to buy it, exactly."

I'm not a fan of Tim Burton. It's a short book, the illustrations help but I didn't like most of the poems. But the ones I liked were pretty dark and funny. I gave it two stars; not my cup of tea but a fan might think differently. :)

message 396: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (MsJones) | 101 comments I'm reading a lot of history from the 13th century to prepare to write my next novel. With my limited, an ongoing, knowledge of French, I'm translating "Marguerite de Provence," which isn't available in English! It takes me about 45 minutes per page if I don't have distractions, ha!

For fun, I'm reading fellow Spokanite Jess Walter's new book, "The Financial Lives of Poets." I didn't expect to like it much -- I don't go for middle-aged-male-angst novels -- but I found myself laughing my ass off last night! I can't wait to get back to it tonight.

message 397: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 493 comments Susanna wrote: "Becky wrote: "What did you think of Oyster Boy? I love Tim Burton, and I'm really intrigued by that book, but I dunno if I want to buy it, exactly."

I'm not a fan of Tim Burton. It's a short book,..."

Becky, Alberto loves Tim Burton movies! Any books for a almost non-reader written by Burton that you would suggest?

message 398: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3807 comments Oh, I don't know Jeane! I've never read any of his books - I just love his movies. :)

message 399: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) I'm currently reading The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry. I'm really loving the Victorian England time period and the characters. This is my first Anne Perry book, and the first in a series. It's so exciting to discover a new series to get into!

message 400: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 2577 comments I'm reading Pirate Latitudes A Novel which is, basically, a more "real" portrayal of Pirates of the Carribean. It's very good, although you can tell what parts Crichton didn't polish before he passed away. The story makes up for them.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Kushiel's Dart (other topics)
City of Glass (other topics)
Mistress of the Art of Death (other topics)
Kafka on the Shore (other topics)
Driving with Dead People (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jacqueline Carey (other topics)
Siobhan Dowd (other topics)
Alison Weir (other topics)
Tatiana Lobo (other topics)
Various (other topics)
More...