Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Front Parlor > What are you reading now?

Comments (showing 251-300 of 8,670) (8670 new)    post a comment »

message 251: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Oooo, yeah I'll be anxious to hear what you think of Heretic's Daughter, JG. Like Allison said, it didn't quite live up to my expectations, which was disappointing. I hope you enjoy it though! :)

message 252: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 111 comments Shutter Island remains one of my all-time favorite reads for the thriller/mystery genre... sure hope the movie can live up to the printed word.

message 253: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) Reading I Claudius by Robert Graves. Very very very good book. So modern, even though written in 1934. If you want to read a really good Roman book, this is the one!!!

message 254: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 5 comments I'm reading The Exorcist now and I'm not that far into it because I don't want to read it at night. I swear, the concept of the book is freaking me out more than the actual book. I have to brace myself before I pick it up. The movie traumatized me severely as a child and I can't take anything demon-like. Yet, I get a rush from being scared. That's why I love October.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Heidi wrote: "Shutter Island remains one of my all-time favorite reads for the thriller/mystery genre... sure hope the movie can live up to the printed word."

I agree Heidi, I just finished it and loved it. I was looking at the list of names for the cast and it looks like they made some good choices.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I just started Dragonfly in Amber. I had started this book quite a few years ago, but got distracted. Anyway, I loved Outlander and am glad to be back on track with this series.

message 257: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3802 comments Alisha wrote: "I'm reading The Exorcist now and I'm not that far into it because I don't want to read it at night. I swear, the concept of the book is freaking me out more than the actual book. I have to brace ..."

Alisha, I loved that book. It's really, really good.

Oddly, enough, I had the craziest dream about demons last night. There was this little boy who was possessed by a demon, but he didn't get all scary like Linda Blair did, except his eyes were completely black whenever the demon was in control. He'd have normal eyes one minute, and then he'd blink and just look evil. CREEEEEPY!

I woke up, and then fell back asleep and had the SAME DREAM! That never happens to me when I'm cozying up to, say, Henry Cavill or something in my dream. But demons? SURE! Let's dream about it non-stop! LOL

message 258: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 111 comments Lindsay wrote: "Reading I Claudius by Robert Graves. Very very very good book. So modern, even though written in 1934. If you want to read a really good Roman book, this is the one!!!"

Great book... I read it a few years ago after remembering the PBS series my Mom loved in the late '70s... such drama... great villainess (Liv)...

message 259: by Rose Ann (new)

Rose Ann I'm about to start The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America
I tried looking around here, but I haven't seen it mentioned?
Can't wait to start it!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I have a copy of it, and it is on my TBR list. In some of my other groups people have read it and raved about it.

message 261: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3802 comments I have a copy of it, but I have to admit, it doesn't really interest me. I'm thinking of giving it away.

message 262: by Mary Evelyn (new)

Mary Evelyn (MaryEvelyn) I FINALLY got done with Count of Monte Cristo. It was a great book, but the middle dragged on a little bit.

Now I'm on to Forever Amber. I'm excited about it b/c I don't know much about the Charles II era in English history. Woo-hoo!

message 263: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) I finally finished 'Salem's Lot last night. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with it. It didn't really get exciting until the last 150 pages or so. That was about the only time I really had the urge to pick it up and read it. Bummer.

Moving on to Suite Française now.

message 264: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3802 comments Yeah, Salem's Lot isn't my favorite, but I thought the house was more interesting and scary than the vampires. *shrug* :)

message 265: by Felina (new)

Felina | 631 comments *hand raised in the air* I'll take The Devil in the White City, Becky. If you're handing it out, that is.

message 266: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3802 comments Felina wrote: "*hand raised in the air* I'll take The Devil in the White City, Becky. If you're handing it out, that is."

Yes'm. :)

message 267: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 111 comments Heather wrote: "I finally finished 'Salem's Lot last night. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with it. It didn't really get exciting until the last 150 pages or so. That was about the only time I really had the u..."

I have fond memories of Salem's Lot... but that might have something to do with the fact that I was 15 at the time...lol

JG (The Introverted Reader) The Devil in the White City was surprisingly good, and I'm definitely not a huge fan of non-fiction.

message 269: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 5 comments Becky wrote: "Alisha wrote: "I'm reading The Exorcist now and I'm not that far into it because I don't want to read it at night. I swear, the concept of the book is freaking me out more than the actual book. I..."

Becky, I'm surprised at how much I'm actually loving it. I was at my school's campus waiting for my next class, and it time passed way to quickly. I was waiting for the class to be over so that I could get back to it. Not loving it enough to brave reading it when it's dark out, though.

message 270: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3802 comments I said the same thing Alisha, but I just ended up not being able to put it down. Good luck!

message 271: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) If you want a really scary book read Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Definitely not F but it is one of the scariest books I have ever read. Ageing rocker buys ghost off internet and he's not a nice ghost.

I was reading it on a dark night waiting for a bus, not a good a idea. But a really good book.

message 272: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3802 comments Really? I didn't think that one was all that scary either, but it was VERY good.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I may have to try Heart Shaped Box, I have been wondering about it.

message 274: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) The scene with the rocker (sorry, can't remember his name) talking to his dead bassiest sent shivers up my spine. But this was the bit read at the bus stop mentioned above. It is a very creepy book.

message 275: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 5 comments I'm glad Heart Shaped Box seems to be liked since that's in my queue for this month.

message 276: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) Am reading I Claudius still not a very October read, but so well written it hurts! Livia is a fantasic character.

message 277: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 350 comments I'm reading Innocent Traitor A Novel of Lady Jane Grey by Alison Weir and so far it's fantastic!

message 278: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 63 comments I started to read The Sweet Far Thing today.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Jennifer Tudor - I knew you'd like it!

Jennifer Sunset - I really liked that book. Hope you do to.

message 280: by Jon (new)

Jon | 374 comments im just about to finish Alias Grace by Atwood, loved it! mystery and phychology

message 281: by Misty (new)

Misty | 39 comments I bought that recently but haven't had a chance to read it. I went on an Atwood spree, actually, and got that, The Robber Bride, Wilderness Tips, Bluebeard's Egg, and The Blind Assassin. Haven't read one. :(
I'm so bad about buying books and then reading library books instead because they have to go back... Ridiculous.

message 282: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 2381 comments I'm a little late, but I think the Exorcist is one of the scariest books. EVER. It's told in a very straight voice. Blatty doesn't describe in such a way that it seems he's trying to scare you, just relay the story. That makes is scarier to me.

message 283: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 2381 comments I just started The Tea Rose which is definitele hist fict and am also reading1984 which is kind of like fictional prediction! That should be a new genre.

message 284: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) I'll be starting Jon Krakauer's Into The Wild next. I have the movie but haven't watched it yet.

message 285: by Felina (new)

Felina | 631 comments Into the Wild was a weird book for me. It started out really interesting but I stopped half-way through and couldn't finish it. You'll need to let me know what you think.

message 286: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinlouise429) | 7 comments i just started reading The 19th Wife A Novel by David Ebershoff today. i am only on page 9 but i am completely enraptured in it!

message 287: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Felina wrote: "Into the Wild was a weird book for me. It started out really interesting but I stopped half-way through and couldn't finish it. You'll need to let me know what you think."

I think I would've preferred if the story had been told in a more linear way but so far it doesn't bother me that much. (I'm about 50 pages in.)

message 288: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 2381 comments I'm really enjoying the Tea Rose. Not what I expected. Better than A Northern Light. (to me)

message 289: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Kandice wrote: "I'm really enjoying the Tea Rose. Not what I expected. Better than A Northern Light. (to me)"

No way!

Hmph!

message 290: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Erin wrote: "i just started reading The 19th Wife A Novel by David Ebershoff today. i am only on page 9 but i am completely enraptured in it! "

Hah, I got that from the library as a friend had recommended me a book - The twentieth wife, but I got confused and got this one instead. Maybe I should keep it now and read later? Only it doesn't appeal after I found out it wasn't actually a push...

message 291: by Felina (new)

Felina | 631 comments Susanna wrote: "Felina wrote: "Into the Wild was a weird book for me. It started out really interesting but I stopped half-way through and couldn't finish it. You'll need to let me know what you think."

I think I..."

I ate up the first half of the book. The first half was informational and it was extremely interesting but the second half was like the author's big boy crush on Chris and I didn't much like Chris so I stopped.

message 292: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 60 comments I just started The Day the Falls Stood Still (I'm on p.50), and I am really enjoying the history of Niagara Falls weaved into the story.

message 293: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) Halfway through The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer.

message 294: by Donna (new)

Donna | 149 comments I finally read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo which was terrific and now I'm reading Murder on the Eiffel Tower for a face to face book group and The Queen's Devotion The Story of Queen Mary II.

message 295: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) I'm back in Stalin's Soviet Union reading The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith. A friend at work loaned me this book after I told him I liked 'Child 44', so I needed to get this read so I can return it to him. The first couple of chapters were really great.

message 296: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 2381 comments I'm reading Queen's Own Fool. Kind of a slog, actually, despite being YA.

message 297: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 63 comments I'm about to start Fever 1793

message 298: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Jennifer wrote: "I'm about to start Fever 1793"
I am curious about that book, love to hear what you think.

message 299: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) Halfway through The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells, seems to not really be my thing, or something's lost in translation.

In addition, I'm enjoying Night Shift by Stephen King though short stories are not really my thing but this is a re-read and this time I'm loving the stories.

message 300: by Misty (new)

Misty | 39 comments Started Her Fearful Symmetry and Y The Last Man Vol. 1 Unmanned, which I am trying to work in as one of my last Helluva Halloween reads.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Kushiel's Dart (other topics)
City of Glass (other topics)
Mistress of the Art of Death (other topics)
Kafka on the Shore (other topics)
Driving with Dead People (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jacqueline Carey (other topics)
Siobhan Dowd (other topics)
Alison Weir (other topics)
Tatiana Lobo (other topics)
Various (other topics)
More...