Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Front Parlor > What are you reading now?

Comments (showing 101-150 of 8,670) (8670 new)    post a comment »

message 101: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) I'm getting ready to start on Les Liaisons Dangereuses.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 426 comments Heather wrote: "I'm getting ready to start on Les Liaisons Dangereuses. "

what a coincidence! Me too ;)

message 103: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) hehehe ;)

message 104: by Patricia (last edited Aug 23, 2009 02:09PM) (new)

Patricia | 52 comments I'm in the middle of The Intelligencer by Leslie Silbert and Midwives by Chris Bohjalian. I just started Brothers Karamazov.

The Intelligencer is pretty interesting because the narrative goes between present day NYC and London in 1593...the link between the 2 time periods is a mystery manuscript from the Elizabethan court. I'm reading Midwives for my local Texas book club. However, I am reading Brothers Karamazov at my husband's request. (I love it when he suggests fiction to me -- he is mostly a nonfiction guy.)

message 105: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) Yay, I finally picked up a historical. "The Given Day" by Dennis Lehane. Set in Boston at the end of WW1.

message 106: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Patricia wrote: "I'm in the middle of The Intelligencer by Leslie Silbert and Midwives by Chris Bohjalian. I just started Brothers Karamazov.

The Intelligencer is pretty interesting because the narrative goes be..."

How are you liking Midwives, Patricia? I found it at a library sale here awhile back but haven't read it yet. I've read The Double Bind by Bohjalian and really enjoyed it.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Heather wrote: "Patricia wrote: "I'm in the middle of The Intelligencer by Leslie Silbert and Midwives by Chris Bohjalian. I just started Brothers Karamazov.

The Intelligencer is pretty interesting because the na..."

I read the Double Bind also and thought it was great. Right now I have Midwives on my TBR list, and my son's girlfriend says Trans-Sister Radio is really good, too.

message 108: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 444 comments First post here. This looks like a great group!

I just finished Mistress Shakespeare which I enjoyed.

I just started an unusual book about an archaeologist in Israel who makes a remarkable discovery about a Biblical prophet. It's Drawing in the Dust. It's not HF, but it deals with historical stuff.

Shomeret

message 109: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 60 comments I had every intention of starting A Beautiful Blue Death, but I picked up a new YA instead, Impossible by Nancy Werlin. I vow to read A Beautiful Blue Death next.

message 110: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 52 comments Heather wrote: "Patricia wrote: "I'm in the middle of The Intelligencer by Leslie Silbert and Midwives by Chris Bohjalian. I just started Brothers Karamazov.

The Intelligencer is pretty interesting because the na..."

Heather, I think Midwives is good. I love the narrator's perspective of events both from her youth and after maturity. It is a nice juxtaposition. I hope you enjoy it!

message 111: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 111 comments I just finished The Queen's Fool by Phillipa Gregory... one of hers that I managed to miss... good as always-- she makes history so easy to read.

Now reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin-- set in Greece during World War II... not my favorite time period and this book is dense, but the longer I read it, the more I'm enjoying it... so much about WWII and Mussolini that I didn't know about.

message 112: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1 comments I'm reading Broken Heart Square by Andrew Taylor, which is a historical mystery set in 1934. So good so far.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) My Pick-a-shelf group just chose historical fiction for the month of September, so I am going to read Innocent Traitor by Alison Weil AND Eleanor, the Queen by Norah Lofts to begin with. Hopefully will fit in more.

message 114: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3804 comments I'm going to be starting The Tehran Conviction A Novel of Suspense by Tom Gabbay, which is seemingly split between the 50's and the late 70's.

I won this one as a First Reads give-away, and I'm squeezing it in now among my other commitments.

message 115: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Shomeret wrote: "First post here. This looks like a great group!

I just finished Mistress Shakespeare which I enjoyed.

I just started an unusual book about an archaeologist in Israel who makes a r..."

Both of those books look really good, Shomeret!

message 116: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 60 comments Finally starting A Beautiful Blue Death.

message 117: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3804 comments I'm starting The Tehran Conviction tonight. Pretty good so far. :)

message 118: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 444 comments Just finished Drawing In The Dust which was amazing.

I'll be starting Portrait of a Lady by Diane A. S. Stuckart tomorrow. It's the second book in a historical mystery series. Leonardo Da Vinci investigates murders with the help of his apprentice, Dino, the point of view character who is a bit unusual.

Shomeret

message 119: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 40 comments I just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo which was great. Now I'm starting The Tea Rose.

message 120: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 60 comments Natalee wrote: "I just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo which was great. Now I'm starting The Tea Rose."

Natalee, I encourage you to read the next Larsson book, The Girl Who Played with Fire. You should enjoy it every bit as much or maybe even more than The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

message 121: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 40 comments Kathy wrote: "Natalee wrote: "I just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo which was great. Now I'm starting The Tea Rose."

Natalee, I encourage you to read the next Larsson book, [book:The G..."

I can't wait to read it actually! :-)
I usually wait for paperback but I don't think I can wait that long.

message 122: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 52 comments OMG, I just loved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I am waiting for a hard copy of the next Larsson book to appear at my local Half Price Books store. Oh...the anticipation!

message 123: by Beth (last edited Aug 26, 2009 02:13PM) (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 52 comments I'm reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo right now too and I can't believe how much I love it. I usually don't read books like this but I'm really into it. I can't wait to read the other two. I heard here in the states we're going to have to wait forever to get the third one!

message 124: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1 comments You'll have to order it from the UK. Oooh October! I'm 3rd in line on the library waiting list. :((((

message 125: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 52 comments Fiona, I might just have to do that! 3rd in line is really good, you must have jumped on that right away :-)

JG (The Introverted Reader) I'm reading The Dress Lodger. I'm about 100 pages in and still not sure what I think about it. I do know--based on her descriptions of the working conditions, lifestyle, and superstitions about doctors/medical treatment in the 1830s--that I'm glad to live today and not in the past!

message 127: by Mary Evelyn (new)

Mary Evelyn (MaryEvelyn) I'm starting The Heretics Daughter. It was recommended to me by a friend at work. I LOVE the history about the Salem Witch trials, and this book is written by the grandaughter of a woman who was a little girl in Salem at this time. I'm excited!

message 128: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3804 comments I've wanted to read that one for a while... I love the Salem Witch trials too...

message 129: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Same here...Let us know what you think of it, Mary Evelyn!

message 130: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) I'm reading Puhdistus by Sofi Oksanen, set in Estonia post-declaration of independence from the Soviet Union in the early 1990s.

message 131: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 444 comments I just finished readingThe Tricking of Freya which isn't HF. It's about an Icelandic-American dealing with some very difficult family problems in both Canada and Iceland. There's mythology and some Icelandic history included. The characterization is excellent.

Next I'm starting The Language of Bees
a Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell historical mystery. I'm really looking forward to it.

Shomeret

message 132: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 111 comments Loved the Laurie King books... finally finished Corelli's Mandolin and am heading back into The Twisted Root by Anne Perry... history and mystery-- my favorites!

message 133: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 60 comments Mary Evelyn wrote: "I'm starting The Heretics Daughter. It was recommended to me by a friend at work. I LOVE the history about the Salem Witch trials, and this book is written by the grandaughter of a woman who was a ..."

Mary Evelyn, I was fortunate enough to spend an evening at a book festival last spring talking to Kathleen Kent, the author of The Heretic's Daughter. I had already read the book, so it was quite a treat to be able to talk to its author for so long. We were both at the authors' reception before the festival. The book and the author are simply outstanding. Kathleen's writing is phenomenal. She is coming out with a prequel in the not too distant future.

message 134: by Mary Evelyn (new)

Mary Evelyn (MaryEvelyn) Kathy wrote: "Mary Evelyn wrote: "I'm starting The Heretics Daughter. It was recommended to me by a friend at work. I LOVE the history about the Salem Witch trials, and this book is written by the grandaughter o..."

wow! that's so cool you got to meet her. i just started reading it this morning, and i can already tell that this is going to be a hard book to put down. i'm excited she's writing a prequel!

message 135: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) I'm currently re-reading Girl with a Pearl Earring (for the 3rd time!) and am loving it just as much as I did the first time. I don't know what it is about this book, but it just pulls me in and holds me captive, even though I've read it before. It's a favorite :)

message 136: by Mary Evelyn (new)

Mary Evelyn (MaryEvelyn) Heather wrote: "I'm currently re-reading Girl with a Pearl Earring (for the 3rd time!) and am loving it just as much as I did the first time. I don't know what it is about this book, but it just pulls ..."

have you seen the movie? how do you think it compares to the book? i've read the book and seen the movie, but it's a long time. maybe it's time for another read through!

message 137: by Toni (new)

Toni Osborne (ToniOsborne) Shomeret wrote: "I just finished readingThe Tricking of Freya which isn't HF. It's about an Icelandic-American dealing with some very difficult family problems in both Canada and Iceland. There's my..."

I am reading that one at the moment. I did find it hard to get into it at first but what a great book it is turning out to be. Now I have a hard time putting it down.

message 138: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) I actually have the movie sitting here waiting to be watched, Mary Evelyn :) It's been a couple years since I last watched it, so I thought I'd give it another go. From what I remember, I did like it, though not nearly as much as I liked the book. For me, the book has this wonderful aura about it that didn't seem to translate to the screen. I'll check back in with you after I watch it again and let you know if my opinion has changed or not :)

message 139: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1 comments I'm reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens and quite enjoying it.

message 140: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) I started The Traitor's Wife by Susan Higginbotham last night. Am also reading The Meaning of Night A Confession by Michael Cox and Nathanael Greene A Biography of the American Revolution by Gerald M. Carbone.

message 141: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 444 comments Toni wrote: "Shomeret wrote: "I just finished readingThe Tricking of Freya which isn't HF. It's about an Icelandic-American dealing with some very difficult family problems in both Canada and Ic..."
Yes, the characters are very compelling and I loved the myth content. Learning something about the history of Iceland was also welcome.

Shomeret

message 142: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 63 comments I started A Northern Light and I'm super excited about it!

message 143: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1 comments I'm reading Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd which is set in 1981 on the North/South Irish border and so far it is very interesting and very good.

message 144: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) I started on The Book Thief last night...finally!

message 145: by Felina (new)

Felina | 631 comments Oh good deal Heather. That book is amazing!

message 146: by Mary Evelyn (new)

Mary Evelyn (MaryEvelyn) Mary Evelyn wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Mary Evelyn wrote: "I'm starting The Heretics Daughter. It was recommended to me by a friend at work. I LOVE the history about the Salem Witch trials, and this book is written by the ..."

I finished, and LOVED the book! Her writing was awesome, I'm so jealous you got to meet her. I'm really looking forward to the prequel, hopefully it's more about Martha Carrier and her husband (tom?) She alluded to the fact that his past was mysterious, I'd like to dig deeper and find out what happened :o)

message 147: by Mary Evelyn (new)

Mary Evelyn (MaryEvelyn) Finished The Heretic's Daughter (LOVED it!), and I'm now onto "The Count of Monte Cristo".

I'm super excited, this book has been on my "To Read" list forever. I loooooove the movie so I'm excited to see what the original is like :o)

message 148: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 60 comments Mary Evelyn wrote: "Mary Evelyn wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Mary Evelyn wrote: "I'm starting The Heretics Daughter. It was recommended to me by a friend at work. I LOVE the history about the Salem Witch trials, and this boo..."

I believe it does deal with Tom's past.

message 149: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) Heather wrote: "I started on The Book Thief last night...finally! "

I loved the book thief, it was such a surprise novel! I have just finished Mary Queen of Scots by Antonia Fraser, which I loved. Fraser managed to turn such a tragic figure into a very strong if sometimes impetuous women.

And now I am powering through Jane Austen's Persuasion.

message 150: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 52 comments Lindsay,

I recently read Austen's Persuasion and really enjoyed it. I hope you do too.

I am currently reading Emily Post - Daughter of the Gilded Age, Mistress of American Manners by Laura Claridge. Obviously it is not fiction but I love the insight into that period of time. I have not yet read enough of it to have an opinion on Mrs. Post. However, rest assured that when I am done, I will have an opinion.
Patricia

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Kushiel's Dart (other topics)
City of Glass (other topics)
Mistress of the Art of Death (other topics)
Kafka on the Shore (other topics)
Driving with Dead People (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jacqueline Carey (other topics)
Siobhan Dowd (other topics)
Alison Weir (other topics)
Tatiana Lobo (other topics)
Various (other topics)
More...