Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Front Parlor > What are you reading now?

Comments (showing 7,151-7,200 of 8,675) (8675 new)    post a comment »

message 7151: by [deleted user] (new)

Chrissie wrote: "I just finished Earth and Ashes. Don't read it. It is very short, but still a complete waste of time. My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... It is not historical fiction. You wil..."

Wow! Have a 'like' on me!

Chrissie Diana, boy was that a bad pick.

message 7153: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1455 comments I'm just hanging out waiting for June 1st to arrive at which point I have: Aztec, The Weird Sisters, A Fatal Waltz and Through a Glass Darkly. Somewhere amongst all the challenge reads, I'd like to fit in A Clash of Kings, so I can watch Season 2 on HBO before it disappears from On-Demand!

message 7154: by Victoria_Grossack (last edited May 31, 2012 10:04PM) (new)

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (VictoriaGrossack) | 603 comments It has been June where I live for several hours so I'm starting Steven Saylor's Roman Blood - nothing like a good mystery based on the case which launched Cicero's career!

And as this is the first book in the series, some clever marketer decided to sell the Kindle version for only $2.99 - a real treat!

Cheryl A | 642 comments Finishing up The Strangers on Montagu Street, a palate cleansing "grit lit" before diving into the summer challenge. My library system also has a summer reading program for staff (as well as our customers) - quantity over quality in that one. It will be interesting to balance the two...

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 850 comments Fall of Giants by Ken Follett and listening to Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (author name fits the summer challenge task).

message 7157: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1455 comments @Victoria -- I have this on my list for the summer challenge so I will be interested to here what you think.
I tried the other Roman mystery series by Lyndsey Davis but didn't particularly care for it (to be fair, I heard that later novels in the series got better).

Margaret (ReadingwithMargaret) | 470 comments Victoria_Grossack wrote: "It has been June where I live for several hours so I'm starting Steven Saylor's Roman Blood - nothing like a good mystery based on the case which launched Cicero's career!

And as this is the first..."

I have wanted to read this series too, thanks for the headsup on a good Kindle deal. The prequel is coming out on June 4th (I think)

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) Oh no - my e mail account was hacked into yesterday and I was so bereft. Luckily the Internet was fine and so I satisfied myself by reading these folders. Today with my e mail restored, I spent time deleting all of this messages which couldn't be sent. Hallelujah. Wish all of these devious minds would go bye bye. Friends knew not to open this e mail since it said something about making money and they know my subject line is usually books. Sorry if any of you received a strange e mail.

In any event I put down True Sisters at this time. I am now at the library and am bringing home lots to look trhough and then choose. And later this afternoon, I am going to rearrange my books alphabetically. I have been pulling out from here and there and my book closet looks like the dark side of the moon. Will let you know later what I chose to read.

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) I won't be doing the challenge this time around. I have the urge to read my own choices. Good luck to all who are doing this and enjoy your reading.

message 7161: by Ana (new)

Ana (crauncher) I'm reading The Lady of the Rivers and so far - so good. Btw. I'm new here, and I'm from Croatia, so my english is not so good. So I hope it won't be a huge problem. I joined this group 'cause I'm huuuge historical fiction fan... :)

Chrissie I just finished Prague Winter: A Personal Story of Remembrance and War, 1937-1948. This was amazing - truly amazingly good.This is a book that makes learning fun. My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I have begun Fiji: A Novel. Why? Well because I had it in my kindle. It was a freebie. I hope I learn a bit about Fijian culture and history.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 3346 comments Ana wrote: "I'm reading The Lady of the Rivers and so far - so good. Btw. I'm new here, and I'm from Croatia, so my english is not so good. So I hope it won't be a huge problem. I joined this group 'cause I'm ..."

Ana, I read that book and I loved it. Did you read the other books in that series?

Margaret (ReadingwithMargaret) | 470 comments Chrissie wrote: "I just finished Prague Winter: A Personal Story of Remembrance and War, 1937-1948. This was amazing - truly amazingly good.This is a book that makes learning fun. My review: http://www.goodreads.co..."

Can't wait to read your review of
Fiji: A Novel, I got it free on my kindle too. I was thinking of waiting till the Amazing Race/Around the World challenge in August to read it.

message 7165: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 192 comments I've just finished reading White Oleander by Janet Fitch and I'm about to start The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks.

message 7166: by Diane (new)

Diane Lewis Ellie wrote: "I've just finished reading White Oleander by Janet Fitch and I'm about to start The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks."

What did you think about White Oleander? Her writing is very evocative, but too much so in places.

Diane S. | 777 comments Finished Painter of Silence and found it a quietly powerful book of the communist takeover of Romania. Am now reading Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady for review and The Secrets of Mary Bowser.

Chrissie Margaret, OK, I will try and write a review.When I got it there was no book description here at GR. It now has one. There is maybe too much romance for my tastes. The sexual fantasies between a missionary's daughter and an American are well, let's put it this way, they could be better written. On the positive side the Fijian culture is interesting. It is suppose to be made into a movie. I hope the book isn't too cinematic.

message 7169: by Steelwhisper (last edited Jun 02, 2012 03:05AM) (new)

Steelwhisper | 150 comments Bloody brilliant: Protection by S.A. Reid

Chrissie Diane, I have "Painter of Silence" on my lists too. You are lucky to have gotten ahould of a copy so soon. Nice review.

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (VictoriaGrossack) | 603 comments @Jolene & Margaret - so far I'm enjoying Roman Blood!

message 7172: by Faith (new)

Faith Justice | 467 comments Started Lady of the English by Elizabeth Chadwick, so far so good.

Stephanie Elizabeth is Wonderful Writer!!! Enjoy!

message 7174: by Nancy from NJ (last edited Jun 02, 2012 10:52AM) (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) Just in time I found a great book. As I mentioned before or maybe not, I brought home lots of books from the library and began The Sleepwalkers by Paul Grossman and it is a sure winner. Set in Berlin in 1932, this book focuseson a Jewish detective who is involved in two cases of missing women. As the story develops, the Nazi regime becomes involved and one can see the beginning of Hitler's rise. I've never been to Berlin but I think this author paints a wonderful picture of how it looked then.Began this morning and I've read a third.

Diane S. | 777 comments Chrissie wrote: "Diane, I have "Painter of Silence" on my lists too. You are lucky to have gotten ahould of a copy so soon. Nice review."

Think you just might like this one. It is very character based and very well written.

message 7176: by Jan (new)

Jan Moran (janmoran) | 14 comments No fiction right now, just nonfiction research on historical fashion designers. Here's a good one on an colorful French designer, Jean Patou. Patou by Meredith Etherington-Smith Also on Chanel Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky by Chris Greenhalgh
--Jan Moran

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (VictoriaGrossack) | 603 comments Starting The Steel Wave: A Novel of World War II - just in time for D-Day.

Chrissie Diane, yes, it looks like my kind of book, and the place where it is set draws me too.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 3346 comments I finished "Flawless" and starting "Deadlocked"

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) BTW - read in The New York Times that The Song of Achilles won the Orange Prize in England. This prize is awarded to an English author.

message 7181: by Ioana (new)

Ioana | 149 comments I just finished Mockingjay, the last in the Hunger Games series; I have to admit, I liked all 3 books, and if not for the whole buzz, I would have never even thought of reading any of them. I am very happy I did.

Now I just started The Song of Achilles, which I like so far. I used to love anythibg about the Greek mythology when I was young, but forgot most of it. There will be a lot of side reading for this book, to remember who is who, but I am very excited to do that.

message 7182: by Belles (last edited Jun 03, 2012 06:03AM) (new)

Belles Livres (BellesLivres) | 37 comments Ioana wrote: "I just finished Mockingjay, the last in the Hunger Games series; I have to admit, I liked all 3 books, and if not for the whole buzz, I would have never even thought of reading any of them. I am ve..."

I really enjoyed The Song of Achilles. Here's my review of it:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

And to me there's something about reading Greek mythology - it's like getting back to basics. Whether we realize it or not, so much of Western civilization is based on it.

message 7183: by Moon (new)

Moon | 101 comments I am reading From Reverence to Rape: The Treatment of Women in the Movies by Molly Haskell. I've been enjoying it.

message 7184: by Faith (new)

Faith Justice | 467 comments Ioana wrote: "I used to love anythibg about the Greek mythology when I was young, but forgot most of it. There will be a lot of side reading for this book, to remember who is who, but I am very excited to do that."

I've read a couple of good books based on Greek mythology lately and the authors are active in this group. You might check out Jocasta: The Mother-Wife of Oedipus by Victoria Grossack which was a group book (discussion here http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8....) Also a series about Orestes (son of Agamemnon) by Laura Gill. The first in the series is The Young Lion.

Enjoy Song of Achilles!

message 7185: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (last edited Jun 03, 2012 08:07AM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1455 comments Finished up The Weird Sisters in a day -- because we were traveling and I had lots of reading time, not because I loved it.
Now I'm reading The Stolen Crown: The Secret Marriage that Forever Changed the Fate of England, which so far, I am loving.
I did start Aztec. While it is interesting, it is a really slow read so I doubt I will finish by the 15th (and maybe not at all).

message 7186: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 632 comments Belles wrote: "And to me there's something about reading Greek mythology - it's like getting back to basics. Whether we realize it or not, so much of Western civilization is based on it. "

So true! I remember thinking that when reading up on military history - the Trojan War is an integral part of the entire development of military strategy, and it's a war that never even happened! Or at least not quite in the way that Homer described. But the myth of the Trojan War and the epidemic popularity of the Iliad ensured that it became a bedrock part of the world's consciousness.

message 7187: by Rio (Lynne) (last edited Jun 03, 2012 09:29AM) (new)

Rio (Lynne) | 37 comments Kate, I couldn't have said it better!
I'm currently reading I, Mona Lisa and I am surprised how much I am liking it.

Chrissie Rio, oh I have "I, Mona Lisa", sitting here waiting to be read. So it is good?! Lovely. I bought it ages ago because I thought I would like it. Why didn't you think you would like it?

message 7190: by Bryn (last edited Jun 03, 2012 02:49PM) (new)

Bryn Hammond (BrynHammond) | 417 comments John Cowper Powys, The Brazen Head

There is no blurb for this here. It revolves around Roger Bacon, the 13th century friar-scientist, under house arrest for his 'devil's works'. It's fantasy, though: Bacon has invented the brass head of the title, that utters oracles. Questions of religion and science - from a writer who has a deep feeling for old religions, that are not forgotten by his Christians and Jews, who tend to be druid or pagan or pantheist in actual experience or sensibility.

~Brandy~ | 14 comments I am currently reading Shadow Princess: A Novel by Indu Sundaresan. I enjoyed her other book The Twentieth Wife but sometimes she gets a little tedious for me. I get a little bored with all the descriptions of the landscapes and the clothing. But I still enjoy the story she tells.

Dorothy (Plantwoman) I just finished The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta, which I enjoyed and I've just started March Violets, first in the Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr. My husband is a big fan of the series and has been trying to get me to read it for years, literally. I finally gave in. I'm just a few chapters in but so far, so good.

Kristin Gleeson | 85 comments Am still reading Aztec ]Aztecwhich is okay, but I'm dying to get to Song of Achilles and The Book of Madness and Cures.

The Song of Achilles
The Book of Madness and Cures

Rio (Lynne) | 37 comments Chrissie wrote: "Rio, oh I have "I, Mona Lisa", sitting here waiting to be read. So it is good?! Lovely. I bought it ages ago because I thought I would like it. Why didn't you think you would like it?"

I've had it forever in my pile also. As for your question, I didn't finish her last book and The Borgia Bride was OK. I'm 125 pages in and so far I can't put it down.

Belles Livres (BellesLivres) | 37 comments To Faith/Ionna - I enjoyed Jocasta by Grossack & Underwood, but I think their Children of Tantalus trilogy is actually better. You get to meet the ancestors of some of the key players of The Iliad. Here's Kernos's review of the series:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Belles Livres (BellesLivres) | 37 comments And I am bogged down in the tiny font of Aztec.

Kristin Gleeson | 85 comments Belles wrote: "And I am bogged down in the tiny font of Aztec."

Tiny is the word for it. And at over 1000 pages that's no joke. :)

Chrissie Rio (Lynne) wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Rio, oh I have "I, Mona Lisa", sitting here waiting to be read. So it is good?! Lovely. I bought it ages ago because I thought I would like it. Why didn't you think you would like ..."

Lovely to hear! My personal rule is to only add one unread book by a new author. Then if I am pleased, I let myself add another of the author's books. In this way I restrict my book mountain. I am happy to hear that I may have chosen correctly.

message 7199: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1455 comments I really wish Aztec has been available on an e-reader!!

Lorraine | 3 comments I've just read Bring up the bodies by Hilary Mantel. Cannot wait for the third book in the trilogy.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.