Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Front Parlor > What are you reading now?

Comments (showing 501-550 of 8,672) (8672 new)    post a comment »

message 501: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 1 comments I am still reading The Memoirs of Cleopatra which I started in November. I really want to finish it soon because it's enormous size combined with the holidays has put me two books behind in regards to group reads at Tudor Lover and History of Royals.

message 502: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) Lyn M wrote: "Dorie - I have that one on my TBR. Let me know what you think. "

Will do, Lyn. It's good so far.

message 503: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 111 comments Lyn M wrote: "Heidi - I wish I would have known about the PBS special on Louisa May Alcott. She is one of my favorite writers, and Little Women is on my all time favorites list, probably as number 1.

I have n..."

I've really liked almost all of the Chevalier books... I went back to check on The Unicorn and the Lady and apparently my review says it was my second favorite book... if you like the Medieval period, then you'll enjoy it...

message 504: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Michelle wrote: Oh, Little Women. That may just be my favorite book of all time. I'd love to hear what you think of it when you're done.

I'll let you know, Michelle. So far, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. There are some parts that do feel kind of slow, but overall, it's been great. Definitely what I would call a comfort read. I had to put it aside for the moment while I work on some other reading obligations, but am anxious to finish it up. :)

message 505: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 1 comments Heather wrote: "Natalee wrote: "Heather wrote: "I'm currently reading Mistress of the Art of Death which I've been really looking forward to. I'm only about 50 pages into but enjoying it so far. "

oo..."

I really enjoyed the book!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Heidi, Thanks - I really like the medieval period, so I will look forward to that one.

message 507: by ToniS (new)

ToniS | 204 comments I started The Far Pavilions a few days ago and I'm still only 100 pages in. I'm just finding it very slow going. Not sure if it's because of the language and having to look up the foreign words or what. I'm hoping I'll get invested here soon, otherwise it's going to be a looooong 1200 pages...

message 508: by ToniS (new)

ToniS | 204 comments Has anyone read the mystery series that starts with Murder on the Eiffel Tower? Is it any good?

message 509: by Donna (new)

Donna | 149 comments Toni wrote: "Has anyone read the mystery series that starts with Murder on the Eiffel Tower? Is it any good?"

Hi Toni, I recently read this for my in person book group and it was good but not outstanding - in my opinion. I did like the description of Paris during the Exposition and the opening of the Eiffel Tower and several of the characters were interesting but I did not find it a page turner. I will probably try another in the series though.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 426 comments Toni wrote: "I started The Far Pavilions a few days ago and I'm still only 100 pages in. I'm just finding it very slow going. Not sure if it's because of the language and having to look up the fore..."

I keep meaning to read that since everyone raves about it. Hope you get into it soon :)

I did start it awhile back, but only got about 50 pages in and got sidetracked.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 426 comments Colleen wrote: "I am still reading The Memoirs of Cleopatra which I started in November. I really want to finish it soon because it's enormous size combined with the holidays has put me two books behi..."

oooo, a GR friend gave me that and I keep meaning to start it but yeah...it IS really long

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 426 comments Michelle wrote: "I am reading Daughter of the Flames. It is a very dynamic, engaging book with really vivid characters. It is a martial arts/fantasy hybrid, I would say. It's been really good so far."

I wanna read that! Glad to hear you like it

message 513: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) I finished Blind Justice and enjoyed it a lot. Jeremy is an appealing narrator. I can't seem to find any of the other books in the store, so I've reserved the next at my local library.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 3593 comments I fininished The Horse and His Boy and I am ready to start Prince Caspian.

message 516: by Becky, Moddess (last edited Jan 10, 2010 09:00PM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3783 comments I just started Losing Julia tonight. I wasn't really in the mood for anything, and this was sitting within arms reach, so I just picked it up.

It has drawn me in from the very first page, and calmed that "whattoread?whattoread?ugh-I don't want to read ANYTHING!" voice in my head.

It is beautifully written and compelling and really, really good so far. I didn't expect it to be anything like as good as it is already.

It flips between 1918, 1928 and 1981 and is narrated by an old man in a nursing home. (Sound familiar? Yeah, 80 pages in and this one has blown Water for Elephants out of the water.)

It's a little bit graphic describing the war and everything, but the way things are described are very honest, so even though they are ugly, it's still beautiful, in a way.

Heather, I know you have this on your list. You should move it up. :)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 426 comments ugh...Water for Elephants.

message 518: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3783 comments Mm hmm. I'm going to reduce the very generous 3 star rating that I gave it right now.

message 519: by [deleted user] (new)

Allison wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I am reading Daughter of the Flames. It is a very dynamic, engaging book with really vivid characters. It is a martial arts/fantasy hybrid, I would say. It's been re..."

I think it's getting better and better as I go. I like stories with strong character development and Zoe Marriott has done an exceptional job with that.

message 520: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Ooohh, good report on Losing Julia, Becky! Neither of my libraries has it, and I've been trying to decide if I should buy it or not. I'm thinking yes... :)

message 521: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) Becky wrote: "I just started Losing Julia tonight. I wasn't really in the mood for anything, and this was sitting within arms reach, so I just picked it up.

It has drawn me in from the very fir..."

Oh Becky, that's one of my all-time favorite books. I agree, it hooks you from the beginning. I loved the old guy in the nursing home. That's one of the few books I plan to re-read.

message 522: by Patrik (new)

message 523: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3783 comments Heather wrote: "Ooohh, good report on Losing Julia, Becky! Neither of my libraries has it, and I've been trying to decide if I should buy it or not. I'm thinking yes... :)"

I think it would be worth it, H. I think it might be a keeper already. :)

Dorie, 81 Patrick is so heartbreaking! His take on everything is so moving... I had tears in my eyes when I was simply reading about his great-grandkids.

I'll have to thank Al for this one, even though she had no clue what she was sending. LOL

message 524: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) If it hadn't been for you, Dorie, I never would have heard about Losing Julia. I added it to my TBR after you had mentioned it in one of the threads! This is the beauty of GR.... :)

Okay, Becky...I'm buying it!! Sounds like a keeper. :)

message 525: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3783 comments Good. I hope you like it Heather. It's very realistic about the war, and the kids (because they WERE kids) who were fighting it, so there's some language and graphic stuff, but it's not gratuitous.

It's sitting right now at a 4-5 for me.

message 526: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished Daughter of the Flames and am moving onto Abundance a Novel of Marie Antoinette now. Daughter was incredibly good.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 3593 comments I thought this would be the best place to mention this. There is a book out that is HF/fantasy called Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter. I thought that was hysterical.

message 528: by Manuela (new)

Manuela (h2n2) | 1 comments Hi everyone,
I'm reading Balthasar's Odyssey: A Novel by Amin Maalouf, a very very good read although sometimes I feel like shaking the main character to his senses!

message 529: by Holly P (last edited Jan 12, 2010 12:22PM) (new)

Holly P (hpelke02) | 183 comments Jayme I saw that too. Who will she choose? Prince Albert or hunting those pesky demons? Oh the suspense!

I finished The Grapes of Wrath last night. Awesome book! I have moved on to another oldie (but hopefully goody) Wuthering Heights.

message 530: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) I loved the Grapes of Wrath!! Another of my favorites is To Kill A Mockingbird. I'm thinking of starting A Tale of Two Cities, but I haven't decided!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Holly - Grapes of Wrath is such a good book. I am about to start Wuthering Heights myself. I am supposed to be reading it for a group read, but I am so behind!!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 3593 comments I liked Wuthering Heights, I read it in college. It is such a dismal book.

message 533: by Rowan (new)

Rowan (RowanHastings) | 8 comments Working on two books at the moment: Labyrinthby Kate Mosse and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

message 534: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3783 comments Rowan, I listened to the audio of Labyrinth. I really liked the story, but the audio was kind of hard for me to get into... The reader wasn't the best in my opinion.

message 535: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3783 comments But the story was pretty good. :)

message 536: by Chrissie (last edited Jan 13, 2010 08:31AM) (new)

Chrissie I am reading Wave of Terror, but I am almost done. I always like Russian iterature. The translator, the daughter of the author, is here at GR. Very good about the Soviet take over of the Pinsk Marshes located in Belorussia) from the Poles in 1939. The idiocy of the regime and the fear of the times is quite a contrast. I think I will read Girl with a Pearl Earring next. I have been saving it b/c everyone loves it to pieces and I am worried I will be let down..... Stupid huh! Now I cannot wait any longer.

message 537: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 156 comments Jayme wrote: "I just read The Other Boelyn Girl and the Boelyn Inheritance. I heard Wolf Hall was good too if you haven't read that yet. "

Wolf Hall is AMAZING! Highly recommend it :D

message 538: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Jan 14, 2010 11:06PM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 426 comments yeah, Dorie is the reason I recognized Losing Julia when I did, and gifted it to O-Great-One.

message 539: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3783 comments And thank you! It was amazing. A great book in a month full of great books so far. :)

message 540: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Jan 18, 2010 12:19PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I just started Girl in a Blue Dress by Gaynor Arnold. It is a fictional account of the marriage between Charles Dickens and his wife Catherine. I've heard it gives you a whole new perspective on Charles Dickens.

message 541: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hpelke02) | 183 comments Finished Wuthering Heights. Once I get back from the store I will be starting Little Women

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I'm supposed to be reading Wuthering Heights with a bunch of buddies from another group, but have yet to get to it. Too many library books that have to go back first.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 3593 comments I know the feeling. The library ones need to go back first.

message 544: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hpelke02) | 183 comments Wuthering Heights definitely wasn't your typical love story. The whole thing was so sad! I am missing reading historical fiction but I promised myself only classics for the month of january...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 3593 comments How did you like it, Holly?

message 546: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I am totally loving Girl with a Pearl Earring? I have even convinced my husband wthat we must go visit Delft where Vermeer lived, it is about 1.5hr from Brussels. I do not ussually read many books by the same author, and I rarely add more than one book by an author new to me to my GR shelves. I have already ordered Remarkable Creatures andThe Lady and the Unicorn. I am so terribly weak when it comes to books!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 3593 comments Finally finished "Prince Caspian".

message 548: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 426 comments I am reading a non-fiction history book,Why Socrates Died. I'm learning a great deal about the period such as how trials were conducted in ancient Athens.

message 549: by [deleted user] (new)

Lyn M wrote: "I'm supposed to be reading Wuthering Heights with a bunch of buddies from another group, but have yet to get to it. Too many library books that have to go back first. "

It's terrible. I go in there with one or two books in mind and leave with more books than I could possibly suppose to read in two weeks time. Libraries and book stores, my greatest weakness.

message 550: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hpelke02) | 183 comments I liked it. I gave it a 3/5. I'm surprised I did because none of the characters were really all that likeable.

I loved Girl with a Pearl Earring too. We have a place in Holland, MI that carries the Delft pottery. I would love to own some but it is really expensive :(

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Kushiel's Dart (other topics)
City of Glass (other topics)
Mistress of the Art of Death (other topics)
Kafka on the Shore (other topics)
Driving with Dead People (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jacqueline Carey (other topics)
Siobhan Dowd (other topics)
Alison Weir (other topics)
Tatiana Lobo (other topics)
Various (other topics)
More...