Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Ancient History (Old Threads) > Introduce Yourself

Comments (showing 351-400 of 2,346) (2346 new)    post a comment »

message 351: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3798 comments Of course!

message 352: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 2957 comments Emery wrote: "Hi Everyone-
Here is my brief intro. I am an author of what I might best describe as "romantic historical fiction".(I won't spam by plugging my novel here!)

Like you all, I love historical fict..."

I love romantic historical fiction so you can spam me. lol. Welcome to the group.

message 353: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Emery, you have such a beautiful name. Welcome to group! :)

message 354: by Evelina A. (new)

Evelina A. (Amerigo) | 221 comments Hi Everyone-

I just joined the group. I love HF but fell behind with new the authors while raising my kids. Now I'm making up for lost time, or trying to! Looks like a fun group.

message 355: by Evelina A. (last edited May 23, 2010 08:30AM) (new)

Evelina A. (Amerigo) | 221 comments Hi Everyone-

I just joined the group. I love HF but fell behind with new the authors while raising my kids. Now I'm making up for lost time, or trying to!

message 356: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3798 comments Welcome Benjamin and Evelina!

message 357: by Lori (new)

Lori Hey, I'm Lori... new to this stuff, but I love reading and love talking about what I've read!!! Love, love, love historical fiction... especially British History... Sharon Kay Penman ROCKS!!! Looking forward to hearing what everyone else is reading!!!Sharon Kay Penman

message 358: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 2957 comments Welcome Benjamin, Evelina and Lori. Looking forward to your contributions!

message 359: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Hi Ben Evelina and Lori and everyone else too. Welcome to HF.

message 360: by Evelina A. (new)

Evelina A. (Amerigo) | 221 comments Thanks Becky, Jackie, and Fiona. Love to be here with you all.

message 361: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments Hello and welcome Emery, Benjamin, Evelina and Lori - I also love Sharon Kay Penman. My son was also a John Jakes fan, Benjamin.

message 362: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 749 comments Hi everybody - my name is Kate and I will admit right off the bat that I am an HF addict. It has been an obsession more or less since birth. Even in elementary school I was always pretending to be Lucretia Borgia with a poison ring, or Sir Thomas More's daughter retrieving his head from a spike on the Tower of London. (I seriously disconcerted a few teachers.)

I am also a historical fiction author; my first book came out not long ago, but I'm not here to try to make you all read it. I'm here because I love historical fiction: love writing it, love reading it, love talking about it. And I see you have some great discussions in this group! Thanks for having me.

message 363: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 2957 comments Kate wrote: "Hi everybody - my name is Kate and I will admit right off the bat that I am an HF addict. It has been an obsession more or less since birth. Even in elementary school I was always pretending to b..."

:D!!!!!!!!!!

I had bought your book about a month ago at Borders. I was attracted to the beautiful cover. Thank you for joining our group! I hope to chat with you on your book soon.

For group members the book I'm refering to is: Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn

message 364: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 749 comments Wow, thanks for buying it - I hope you enjoy. But seriously, I am not here to spam about my book. Please consign me to Spammer's Hell if I cross that line. :D

message 365: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 156 comments Kate wrote: "Hi everybody - my name is Kate and I will admit right off the bat that I am an HF addict. It has been an obsession more or less since birth. Even in elementary school I was always pretending to b..."

Haha, that's great you were such an imaginative kid! :) I have your book on my TBR list, btw. What are some of your favorite HF books?

message 366: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 2957 comments Oh don't worry, Becky will send you to the Guillotine if you get out of hand. lol. Seriously, we don't mind authors joining our group as long as they contribute to the discussions. We are a friendly group and just want to get to know you. :)

message 367: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 749 comments Favorite HF? Oh so many. Anything ever written by Bernard Cornwell, particularly his Saxon Series and Arthur trilogy. Anya Seton's Katherine. Gore Vidal's Julian: A Novel. Cynthia Harrod-Eagles's Anna. Judith Merkle Riley's Margaret of Ashbury trilogy, and her Louis XIV novel The Oracle Glass. Anything written by Eva Ibbotson. Brenda Jagger's Victorian-era novels about the millocracy. Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South. Pamela Belle's Wintercombe. Tracy Chevalier'sGirl with a Pearl Earring. Jane Eyre . . .

And yes, I was an imaginative kid. I used to sit on steps pretending to be Elizabeth I refusing to go into the Tower of London. First story I ever wrote, age seven, was about the assassination of Edward II. I didn't even know what sex and murder were, but I was writing about 'em.

message 368: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 156 comments Seton's Katherine has to be one of my favorites too. It is such a beautiful novel and I loved how real the people/characters were. Your favorites all look really good!

LOL!! You sound like you were a riot! :D

message 369: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3798 comments Jackie wrote: "Oh don't worry, Becky will send you to the Guillotine if you get out of hand. lol. Seriously, we don't mind authors joining our group as long as they contribute to the discussions. We are a friendl..."

Yes... what Jackie said! Welcome Kate and everyone I haven't yet welcomed! :D

message 370: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Yay, more new faces! It's great to have you guys with us! Welcome! :)

message 371: by Robin (new)

Robin Higgins (Arsinoe) | 4 comments Hi everyone! Thanks for letting me join. I love historical fiction. I just recently finished The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran and I loved it. I just recently got the Cleopatra's daughter book so I am excited about that! I've read others such as Pompeii by Robert Harris. So I've got a wide range of areas of interest. Thanks again!

message 372: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Hi Robin and welcome to the group! I just finished Cleopatra's Daughter and loved it! If you haven't already, be sure to check out our group discussion of it here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3.... Michelle Moran, the author, is a member of our group and has been participating in the discussion and answering questions over there. It's been so exciting having her involved in the discussion! She's been so wonderful and pops in regularly to chat and answer questions. You should check it out! :)

message 373: by Phair (new)

Phair (SPhair) | 52 comments Hi, everyone! I'm Sandy, a public library director (for 40 years!) and I love historical fiction & hist/myst, both adult and juvenile/YA. I like it mostly for the social history aspects rather than the political or military so I prefer the history part to serve as background and not be the central theme. For example I would probably not read a novel *about* Queen Elizabeth dealing with the Spanish Armada I but would likely enjoy one about a courtier who observes the goings on but has a story of his/her own within that context. I especially like stories about strong women confronting/overcoming the social restrictions of their times.

message 374: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3798 comments Sandra, welcome! If you haven't already read it, I would highly recommend Michelle Moran's "Cleopatra's Daughter". I think it would fit nicely with the type of stories that you like to read, as there's a strong female character who is kind of an outsider-looking-in on the workings of Rome.

Plus it was really, really good. This is our current group read, which will be going on for another 2 weeks. Michelle herself is even answering questions and chatting with us! :D The thread for the discussion is here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 375: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments Welcome Sandra! Librarians are wonderful! I have spent half my life in libraries (and thrift and used book stores - they are all my second home.) I like what you said about social history - I never thought in those terms because I realize I enjoy both, depending on the book/author. My son will never read a book written in the first person - I don't know why - but I never notice if it is or not!

message 376: by Phair (new)

Phair (SPhair) | 52 comments Becky wrote: "Sandra, welcome! If you haven't already read it, I would highly recommend Michelle Moran's "Cleopatra's Daughter". I think it would fit nicely with the type of stories that you like to read, as the..."

I have a copy sitting on my home shelf but as we're coming to the final month of the fiscal year AND I have 2 f2f book discussion titles to get done in the next couple of weeks it may take a while for me to get to Cleopatra's Daughter.

The last Roman Mysteries title I read: The Beggar of Volubilis dealt a bit with Selene. I highly recommend this series of kids books- they are definitely not 'written down' to kid level and adults will find them fascinating and full of details of the grittier side of Roman life.

message 377: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (hidilley) Hi fellow HF lovers! I'm pleased to meet all of you and have been reading through some of the discussions, enjoying all of the recommendations for new fodder for the decline of my checkbook... ;)

Some of my favorites include anything by Jean PlaidyJean Plaidy and right now I'm really enjoying Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth.
The Pillars of the Earth

Looking forward to getting to know you all...

message 378: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3798 comments Welcome Heidi! I haven't read any of Plaidy's books, but I have read Pillars of the Earth and I really enjoyed it!

message 379: by Kae (new)

Kae Cheatham (uppitywoman) Greetings.
I read and write HF. Have books in print and on Kindle.
I prefer American HF, but am not confined to that.

A recent title I found interesting is The View from Castle Rock. I guess it's more fictionalized history than the other way around, as Munroe has "imagined" how some of the events and (real) characters would have developed and reacted to the circumstances. Parts of it reads like short stories.
Has anyone else read this?

message 380: by Holly (last edited May 31, 2010 02:57PM) (new)

Holly Weiss (HollyWeiss) | 382 comments Hi, I'm Holly and have read historical fiction for years. Pillars of the Earth is my favorite, but I'll read anything about Lewis and Clark and love Edward Rutherford.
I don't know if this is the place, but my first novel, Crestmont, has been released. It is set in Pennsylvania in the 1920s about the lives and loves of the staff at a summer inn.
Thank youCrestmont

message 381: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Moore | 77 comments Hi: I'm Joyce, and am glad to be in the group. My favorite genre is historical fiction, from Robert Graves to Phillipa Gregory and anything through WWII. I belong to 2 book clubs, and am always happy when they chose to do h.f. books. Looking forward to the discussions.

message 382: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Welcome Sandra, Heidi, Kae, Holly, and Joyce! We're glad to have you all with us. Looking forward to seeing you around the discussion threads! :)

message 383: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Moore | 77 comments Hi Everyone: I guess I'm the newest member, either that or people are reluctant to post. My favorite genre is historical fiction, although I belong to 2 book clubs and they keep me hopping with other genres. When I'm not researching for my own writing I'm reading from my stack of TBR. Here's what I read the last several months. I liked them all, or wouldn't put the titles here. If a book doesn't hold my interest after about the 3rd chapter, I put it down. There are too many good books out there to read one I don't enjoy. Here's a very short list to give you an idea:In the Company of the Courtesan, Mistress of the Revolution, Miracles of Prato, Shanghai Girls, Sacred Hearts, Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society--all good books. I'm glad to be a part of this group.

message 384: by Kate (last edited Jun 03, 2010 08:25AM) (new)

Kate Quinn | 749 comments Hi Joyce - you've got some of my favorite books on your list there. I'm also new, but I love it here already.

message 385: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 2957 comments Hi and welcome all newbies!!

Joyce, you have a very nice list there of good books!

message 386: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Welcome to the group Joyce! I'm the same way about putting down a book if it's not grabbing me. Like you said, too many other wonderful books out there waiting to be read. Glad to see Shanghai Girls: A Novel made it on your list. I just started it yesterday and am enjoying it so much! I'd love to just abandon everything I'm supposed to be doing and read!! Anyway, glad to have with us! :)

message 387: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments Welcome Joyce! Oh, I hadn't heard about Shanghai Girls but it looks sooo good! I won't be able to get to it until our Challenge is over. The others also look very interesting. The only one I have read is Potato Peel. So many books, so little time - I know it's trite, but true!

message 388: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollystoddart) Hi all! I am a new member and happy to be here :) Fairly new to groups on Goodreads. Working through my seemingly long TBR list this summer before life gets super busy again in the fall! I'm excited to be a part of this group!

message 389: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Hi! I am also new here and very excited to have found this group! I'm new to Goodreads (since April) and am so glad to have found this site! I'm a very busy sahm and we homeschool here so I'm often very busy but always find some time throughout the day to read, I can't imagine a day without reading.

I've been so lucky to have won a GR first read book Juliet which is a historical fiction and it is so very good! I'm finishing it up and have so enjoyed it. I'm really looking forward to reading historical fiction with all of you.

message 390: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 2957 comments Welcome Molly and Tasha!

message 391: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3798 comments Welcome Molly and Tasha!

message 392: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Thanks!

message 393: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Glad to have you with us, Molly and Tasha! :)

message 394: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 156 comments Tasha wrote: "Hi! I am also new here and very excited to have found this group! I'm new to Goodreads (since April) and am so glad to have found this site! I'm a very busy sahm and we homeschool here so I'm of..."

Welcome Tasha! I'm jealous you won Juliet, LOL! I want to read that one. Glad to hear it's good :-D

message 395: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Kimberly wrote: "Tasha wrote: "Hi! I am also new here and very excited to have found this group! I'm new to Goodreads (since April) and am so glad to have found this site! I'm a very busy sahm and we homeschool ..."

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

message 396: by Djrmel (last edited Jun 17, 2010 01:39PM) (new)

Djrmel Hello, fellow HF lovers, and thank you for letting me join your group. I discovered you guys through a "discuss this book" link on a book's page (I was so excited to find you, I forgot all about the book) that mentioned your reading challenges. I followed the link, read a few topics, and didn't want to leave. The apology in the the group's description is very apt...my "to read" list is going to get a LOT longer! ;)

About my HF reading habits - I tend to binge on a time period, any time period, for awhile, then I'll jump a few decades or centuries forward or backward and try something else. Along with HF, my favorite genre is Southern Gothic, so when I find something that brings the two together (such as Bloodroot by Amy Greene by Amy Greene ) I'm truly in reading heaven.

message 397: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3798 comments Welcome Djrmel! It's good to have you here! We've talked before in the Feedback group, but I had no idea that you liked HF! :)

I hope that you enjoy the group. You just missed the group read for Cleopatra's Daughter with Michelle Moran, but she might still pop in if the conversation continues. :D

message 398: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3798 comments PS. I LOVE Southern and Gothic stories, but I don't know if I've ever read any Southern Gothic (or if I have I don't know it) -- Any recs?

message 399: by Anna (new)

Anna Anderson (AnnaAnderson) | 346 comments Hello, my name is Anna Anderson, I am 36 yrs. old and I live in Greensboro, NC with my husband and our beautiful 6-1/2 yr. old boxer/english bulldog mix Tori! I have been a member of Goodreads since the beginning of April and I was told by a member of another group that I am in that I would LOVE this group b/c of my LOVE for Historical Fiction! I can tell I am going to love this group just b/c of the name, what a great one! HF is by far my favorite genre and HF mysteries are even better for me! My other faves are murder/mysteries and biographys, but I am open to all genres and I will try anything at least once! I am glad that you guys read all sorts of HF and don't just keep it to one time period or one place b/c I love to mix it up, but my fave settings are 1850's-1950's NYC and England.

My TBR list since I joined Goodreads has grown by leaps and bounds and is now at 3000+ books...crazy, I know, but I want to keep up with everything that I want to read and I don't want to forget anything. I go through it and pick out my top picks and that is the list that I take to the bookstore with me for my every other month book shopping sprees! Books have been my splurge lately, not shoes/clothes (well not really, I still can't resist sometimes), just books. I went book shopping yesterday, but I only bought 6, so I felt a little short changed when I came out of the book store, so I guess I will do some more shopping this weekend online!!! I still have books patiently waiting to be read from my April book shopping sprees (did more than one in April...oops) and they are going to start to get angry if I keep bringing new ones home to read before I read them and there might be an uprising! My husband is OVER putting together bookshelves, so I am having to come up with some creative storage solutions. For right now, I am okay b/c I still have some space, but pretty soon, I am going to be in lots of trouble! We live in an older house and the storage space is, well not there! Oh well, what can you do...not stop buying books that is for sure!

Other than reading (which I do ALL the time, 66+ books so far this year!), I am into knitting, art/architectural history, travelling, home/interior design and of course my child (4-legged, but still a child to me) Tori. I have been sick since January, so that is how I have already read so many books this far this year. Reading has kept me SANE!!! I have Crohns Disease and I have had it since I was 18, so this August, I will have had it for half of my life. I have had btw. 45-60 minor and major surgeries, but such is life and I try not to let it keep me from what I want to do in life!

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself and say that I am delighted to be a part of your group now and I look forward to making new friends and chit chatting and discussing HF books!

message 400: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3798 comments Welcome to the group Anna! I'm thrilled you love the group name... it just kind of came to me as I started typing and it stuck. I happen to quite like it too. :D

I love all kinds of historical fiction too, but couldn't find a group that catered to a lot of different kinds or time periods. It seems that they are all focused on a certain facet of HF, which is fine, but I read all over the genre and historical map, so I created my own group. I am continually amazed and ecstatic when I hear that my humble little group (which is shockingly not so little anymore) is recommended by others. You guys have no idea the glow I get!! So a huge thank you to everyone who has recommended us!

I'm currently up to around 200ish books owned but unread, and the boyfriend's project for tomorrow is new shelving solutions for the stacks teetering everywhere. I'm sure he feels your husband's pain Anna, although he's learned that complaining doesn't work. LOL And in fact I just bought another two books tonight. :P

Welcome to the group!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gone with the Wind (other topics)
Rhett Butler's People (other topics)
World Without End (other topics)
The Pillars of the Earth (other topics)
Atonement (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sherry Jones (other topics)
Laura Bush (other topics)
Anita Diamant (other topics)