Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Member Writing Challenge Folder > Hero and Heroine Race In Writing Challenge

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arch , Mod (last edited Aug 04, 2009 07:16AM) (new)

Arch  | 5810 comments Mod
I don't know if everyone on here strictly read BWWM interracial books. I know that 99.9% of the time, I do.

Some of you might read BMWW or some other type of interracial pairing.

The writing challenge isn't just for BWWM stories. When I write an interracial story, my heroine always be black and my hero tends to be white. I might write more with Asian men and black women.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 6893 comments Mod
Yes, it's for any interracial combination. Like my royal story has an Arabian/Middle Eastern hero and an Black African heroine.

message 3: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 1988 comments Mod
Same here, Arch. My heroines tend to be AA women also. It would be cool to see other mixes tossed in from new authors popping in the challenges.

message 4: by new_user (last edited Aug 05, 2009 12:05AM) (new)

new_user Yes, more mixes! LOL. Sounds like I'm ordering JELL-O or something.

message 5: by Arch , Mod (new)

new_user wrote: "Yes, more mixes! LOL. Sounds like I'm ordering Jell-o or something.

Btw, Danielle, your royal story isn't finished yet, is it? I was going to read it all when it was finished. Easier than trying t..."

New_User, you can jump in the writing challenge at any time? Aren't you going to share your writing with us in the uniform challenge? We need new writers to join us.

Maya is joining. She's a good storyteller. I had the honor in reading one of her stories.

I tell ya, Rae, Danielle, Eugenia and Maya are truly storytellers. It's like reading a book. I am not just giving praise. I mean this from the bottom of my heart. I don't write like an author. All of you do.

There's a big different in my style of writing and the way you ladies write. I don't care or desire to be published, but say if I did. I know without a shadow of doubt, I would be turned down, because of my writing style.

I may touch a picture with a little paint, but I don't get into deep details in my stories.

I am truly amongst writers.

dreamwild1985 | 779 comments awww arch, thanks so much for the compliments. let me remind you tho, it was only one story. if i can turn out a second one then i know the first one wasn't just a fluke! lol

and you're a great story teller. everyone's writing style is different and your's is very visual - which i like since i'm a very visual person! i keep saying, u turn out good stuff :-)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 6893 comments Mod
Arch wrote: "new_user wrote: "Yes, more mixes! LOL. Sounds like I'm ordering Jell-o or something.

Btw, Danielle, your royal story isn't finished yet, is it? I was going to read it all when it was finished. E..."

Arch you are a great writer with your own unique voice. I know I tend to go on and on and I don't have nearly enough description in my writing. I tend to say in the character's head too much and underutilize dialogue. But all I can say is I'm learning and this challenge has been so great for me. To think I wrote a sheikh story and a royal story, and a story with an African heroine (with some European cultural elements). I am very grateful for the opportunity.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads), Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Aug 05, 2009 03:27AM) (new)

Eugenia wrote: "Arch wrote: "I don't know if everyone on here strictly read BWWM interracial books. I know that 99.9% of the time, I do.

Some of you might read BMWW or some other type of interracial pairing.
..."

I like all kinds of heroes, and I'm enjoying seeing different ethnicities. I think I will try to write another Latino hero (I do have a hero in one of my stories who is of Puerto Rican descent). I am loving the Russian heroes, and British and Asian, and Middle Eastern heroes are yum to me. Of course, there are the ranchers (delicious). I do have some stories where the hero is African American too (non-IR).

As for heroines, I guess I tend to want to write African American or Black descent heroines but I do have a historical with non-Black heroine and the story with the Puerto Rican hero has a secondary romance with a White heroine and a Black hero. I'd like to write all kinds of different stuff, but like Eugenia, the AA is my first love because I want to see more of her and see her portrayed in a different light than what is usually out there.

Arch wrote: "new_user wrote: "Yes, more mixes! LOL. Sounds like I'm ordering Jell-o or something.

Btw, Danielle, your royal story isn't finished yet, is it? I was going to read it all when it was finished. E..."

Arch is right about the caliber of writing of you all. I'd like to read some of New_User's stories, because I can see she is a very skilled writer. Same to be said for Davina. I'd like to see more members start writing in the challenges but no pressure.

Cinquetta (darkfaer) | 54 comments I like to read interracial stories dealing with black woman and non-black male hero.

My favorites are the ones with Black heroines, but I like most that are well done and engage me. I really loved Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles, which is White girl, Latino boy.

message 12: by Davina (last edited Dec 27, 2009 10:21AM) (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments I don't read as much IR I'd like to, but when I do I tend to read minority woman/white man, but mostly BWWM. Many of my friends are surprised that I prefer to read the BWWM pairing -- many people expect that I'd prefer WWBM since I'm white and I'll go ahead and admit it, I have a secret crush on a lot of black men! :) -- but I think black women (and certainly other minority women) are marginalised in far too many public spheres. They're rarely ever lead characters in (mainstream) films or heroines in books. We never get to see their life, their varied experiences, their failures, their triumphs, their loves, their lost etc. And if and when we do, its more likely to be a story about their race rather than a story about them as humans. I have a lot of respect for many black women because they endure so many things spoilt little white girls (no disrespect to spoilt little white girls ... since I'm pretty much one of them!) will never be able to. It's refreshing to read about their (love) experiences, for once!

That said, though, I won't just read anything that's BWWM. It has to be good. As I mentioned on another thread I'm not very impressed with the current variety of IR books available. Many IR writers seem to be just starting out (and yes I know everyone has to start somewhere), but I think small, independent presses have a tendency to put out their work precipitously. That is to say, before they reach a point where their stories are really knock out quality. I want to support the genre, I even want publishers to create an IR line altogether, but I also want value for my money.

message 13: by Arch , Mod (new)

I love reading a good BWWM book and of course, I love writing BWWM stories. I'll write a black woman with another race story. The Agent will be about best friends - a black woman and Asian man.

I'll read other interracial books, whenever I can find them. I am not just tied down to BWWM, although that's my number one interracial read.

I have never read a black man, white woman race book. Although, I have to say, back in the day, I liked watching LA Law, because of the BMWW storyline.

My stories are crap and I am the first to admit it, but hey what can I say. I love writing. It's so much fun!

message 14: by Davina (last edited Dec 27, 2009 01:01PM) (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments Oi! C'mon now, Arch! Your stories are not crap. They're uniquely yours because you have such a distinctive literary voice. Someone would be hard pressed to steal your work and show it off as their own! That takes skill to have a such a unique signature.

I've been checking out Kimberly Kaye Terry's website since it was mentioned on the other thread. She's had a lot of books published since her Ellora's Cave days. Like any other craft, a writer's work gets better with time and practice. I'm going to purchase The Sweet Spot and see if KKT has improved. Sounds like a really hot book so this one might not be for you, Arch.

message 15: by Arch , Mod (new)

Davina,

No that book would not be for me. I would hope that Harlequin would represent the non-erotic interracial books too next year. If the Spice line is going to be erotic interracial stories, then they better not send me any of those for free.

message 16: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 1988 comments Mod
Your stories are so not crap, Arch. I like how you write and you definitely have a unique voice. :-)

I, too hope Harlequin doesn't focus on interracial erotic books. I hope they do more like the Super you mentioned recently and focus more on family oriented and suspenseful romance reads. I'm finding so hard to find really good IR romance reads on the sweeter end of the spectrum.

Davina D. | 796 comments Well, hopefully they'll have IRR on both their Spice and Kimani Press lines. Kimani Press is likely to include more conventional love making so that might catch your fancy. I've just been on the eharlequin website and I could not see where they mentioned anything about launching an IR line under the Spice imprint. I hope it's just me who missed something.

As for the Sweet Spot, definitely not for you, Arch. It has anal play, but thankfully no menage!

message 18: by Arch , Mod (new)

Harlequin is known for their funny titles. I hope they don't have any funny titles for the IR line, whenever they really get a IR line.

message 19: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch wrote: "Harlequin is known for their funny titles. I hope they don't have any funny titles for the IR line, whenever they really get a IR line."

LOL, they better never have a title: The cookie and the cream.

Antoine, please post promos in the promo folder. Thanks! I'm going to delete this.

message 21: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) Davina wrote: "Well, hopefully they'll have IRR on both their Spice and Kimani Press lines. Kimani Press is likely to include more conventional love making so that might catch your fancy. I've just been on the eh..."
I have that book, I think I have to re-read cause I don't remember any anal. But then sometimes I skip a paragraph.
I do have a question for you Davina, do you think the mystery was convoluted or made sense?

unread topics | mark unread