Historical Fictionistas discussion

Group Read Discussions > Group Read Folder - Theme Suggestion Thread

Comments (showing 1-50 of 173) (173 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (last edited Dec 05, 2010 08:43AM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3386 comments This folder is where we will post threads for the chosen group read. Please do not post threads here unless pertaining to the group read, as they will be deleted or moved as appropriate.

Thank you!

======================================
Theme Suggestion Master List
======================================
Pertaining to a particular historical figure
About an event
About a time period
Religious / Secular
Viking
Medieval
Female main character
Male main character
Bibliophilia (books about books/bookmakers/etc)
Historical fantasy
Alternative history
Royalty
Historical Mystery
American West
Southern lit
Set in New England
School setting
Picaresque
Set in Eastern Europe or Russia
Hotel/spa retreat settings
Set In Ireland
Discovery of North America
Set during the slave trade
The discovery of New Zealand and Australia
non-fiction story based on event in history/person
About a work of art/artist
Prehistoric
Eastern/Far East setting
British Colonial
Neo-Victorian
Middle East (Iran, Turkey) in the Post Classical period
Historical thriller
American Civil War
Books re Explorers

message 2: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3386 comments So I decided just to add to this thread rather than create a new one...

Feel free to suggest any HF related themes you can think of for upcoming group reads.

Examples:
Pertaining to a particular historical figure
About an event
About a time period
Religious / Secular
Viking
Medieval
Female main character
Male main character
Bibliophilia (books about books/bookmakers/etc)
Historical fantasy
Alternative history
etc

I'm sure I will think of more, but I want to know what you guys will come up with too!

message 3: by Heather (last edited Nov 22, 2010 07:54AM) (new)

Heather (hsditto) Royalty
Historical Mystery

message 4: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 852 comments American West
Southern lit
Set in New England
School setting

message 5: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (Tantara) Picaresque
Set in Eastern Europe or Russia

message 6: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Hotel/spa retreat settings (like in the olden days people used to travel there for vacations)

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 77 comments Set In Ireland
The discovery of New Zealand and Australia

message 8: by Tasha (new)

Tasha non-fiction story based on event in history/person

we read so many historical fictions but maybe a true historical story thrown in every once in a while would be fun... for example, The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust or Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest.

message 9: by Silver (new)

Silver | 250 comments About a work of art/artist
Prehistoric
Eastern/Far East setting
British Colonial
Neo-Victorian

message 10: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Shea | 7 comments How about something (I have no idea if books even exist for this!) about the Middle East (Iran, Turkey) in the Post Classical period?

message 11: by M.G. (new)

M.G. Scarsbrook (mgscarsbrook) | 16 comments Historical thriller, anyone?

message 12: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 368 comments American Civil War is my fav.

message 13: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments Books re Explorers - Exciting, dangerous, unbelievable at times, and totally enjoyable.

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 529 comments Maude wrote: "Books re Explorers - Exciting, dangerous, unbelievable at times, and totally enjoyable."

I like that. I've been wanting to try Aztec for awhile.

message 15: by Pam (new)

Pam Walter | 455 comments Luckngrace wrote: "American Civil War is my fav."

Lucky, have you read any Jeff Sharra?

message 16: by Luckngrace (last edited Dec 04, 2010 03:55PM) (new)

Luckngrace | 368 comments Pam wrote: "Luckngrace wrote: "American Civil War is my fav."

Lucky, have you read any Jeff Sharra?"

Yes, but I've read better. The Widow of the South is a true story, John Jakes' North and South and the romances One Wore Blue and And One Wore Gray were pretty good. I've also read a lot of Shelby Foote's work and watched the multi-oart specials on PBS, but there's still many more to read. I've also read some of the life stories of slaves you can get for free on Amazon for Kindle. Those are very eye-opening. The Year of Jubilo is an amazing book about soldiers trying to make their way home after the war. Dive in, girl, the water's HOT.

I just consulted my Kindle for other titles and here are some Shades of Gray: A Novel of the Civil War in Virginia, A Separate Countrynot at good as Widow of the South but explores the guilt old wounded general feel after the war for the damages they did, and several books by the Work Projects Administration called Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery. This was done during FD Roosevelt's WPA jobs during the depression.
People went out to the homes of former slaves to interview them about life during slave times. This was the 1930's and almost all these people were living in horrifying poverty still. I only read one of the books, but there are more on Amazon for Kindle at no cost. Fire Bell in the Night: A Novel was pretty good as was Unholy Fire: A Novel of the Civil War. Of course, the standard for all CW novels to try to live up to is Gone With the Wind.

message 17: by Pam (new)

Pam Walter | 455 comments Thanks Lucky, I have added a few titles to my TBR shelf!! I have read The Widow of the South, and loved it. North and South I read many many years ago, but it was also marvelous.

Have you read Someone Knows My Name?

I think it was originally printed in Canada under the title The Book of Negroes. Anyway, it's absolutely fabulous.

message 18: by Donna (new)

Donna (drspoon) Pam and Lucky,
Please allow me to join in - American Civil War is my favorite, also. I loved "My Name is Mary Sutter" by Robin Oliveira, which is a magnificent novel about a determined young woman who wants to be a surgeon and soon finds herself immersed in Civil War medicine. Also loved the classic "The Killer Angels" by Micheal Sharra and "Sherman's March" by Cynthia Bass which is brilliant and brutal. A nonfiction favorite is Tony Horowitz's "Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War" (present day look at battlefields and attitudes about the war).

message 19: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson42353) | 852 comments I really enjoy this era as well and have enjoyed many of those above especially the John Jakes trilogy - North and South, Love and War, Heaven and Hell.Another good one for me was E. L. Doctorow's The March and I also enjoyed the entire Civil War series by Owen Parry.

message 20: by Pam (new)

Pam Walter | 455 comments Lucky, Donna and Linda, I have Mary Sutter on my TBR list. Might have to make a trip to the library today. Linda, I am thinking I have read Owen Parry and found it really good.

Donna, I added "The Killer Angels" to my list also. I have read most of Jeff Shaara books, but not sure if I have read anything from Michael (Jeff's Father).

and Linda, I have read most everything EL Doctorow, but now I have to go find "The March" to know for sure. I'll probably get halfway through it and suddenly know that I HAVE already read it.....LOLOL

If you ladies enjoy reading civil war history, you might also appreciate Lincoln memoirs. Not long ago I read Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln It was really, really good.

message 21: by Becky, Moddess (last edited Dec 05, 2010 08:41AM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3386 comments Hi ladies, can this conversation be moved to a more appropriate thread? I would like to keep this one clear so that the theme suggestions don't get buried.

Thanks! :)

message 22: by Pam (new)

Pam Walter | 455 comments Oops, sorry Becky. I guess I got carried away and forgot where I was?!!

message 23: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3386 comments No problem! It happens. :)

message 24: by Rusty (new)

Rusty | 1258 comments YA HF - some wonderful choices
African American HF
Military HF
HF fantasy

message 25: by ToniS (new)

ToniS | 204 comments How about something that is very of the time period, but wasn't written later? I'm thinking Charles Dickens or Wilkie Collins for the Victorian era or The Grapes of Wrath for the Depression Era. Not really Historical Fiction by the group definition because they weren't written later, but they might be interesting to read for people who are interested in the history of different periods as we are.

message 26: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Love that theme idea ToniS!

message 27: by Luvvenia (new)

Luvvenia Hawkins (AlmHlgh) Historical 1886 Romance...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

message 28: by Hannah (last edited Jan 18, 2011 10:31PM) (new)

Hannah (harshmallow) | 305 comments How about a Regency theme and a French Revolution theme? And an American Revolution theme, by that standard? Renaissance? WWI/II? (World War category could probably be combined)

message 29: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 2824 comments Holly not sure if you meant to post those suggestions in the Challenge suggestion thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

This thread is for the group reads.

message 30: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (HollyWeiss) | 377 comments Set in Ireland The Yellow House: A Novel.

Late 19th century United States, state of Washington.West of Here

message 31: by Elli (new)

Elli | 169 comments Tasha wrote: "non-fiction story based on event in history/person

we read so many historical fictions but maybe a true historical story thrown in every once in a while would be fun... for example, [book:The Na..."

message 32: by Elli (new)

Elli | 169 comments Set in England...non-fiction. Really quite readable. Antonia Fraser's Gunpowder Plot...I think also Faith or Treason is part of the title on the cover. It is a little slower reading, very salty style with comparison to group dynamics as is also today.

message 33: by Elli (new)

Elli | 169 comments Another author, non-fiction who reads like fiction with a really salty style with her insights ... she goes one step further .... gives her insights such as (U.S. author) George Washington won a war in three years that he should have won in six months... Whether you agree with some or all of her conclusions, you will find it well researched and it should catch...and hold...your attention. She's no longer alive, but I don't believe you would have trouble finding her books available.

message 34: by Elli (new)

Elli | 169 comments Kimberly wrote: "Set In Ireland
The discovery of New Zealand and Australia"

message 35: by Elli (new)

Elli | 169 comments Set in Ireland. Medieval Ireland. Peter Tremain, the Sister Fidelia series. This is a pseudonym for a historian who has a real gift here, I forgot the name, think it's Ellis. The ins and outs here in the plots and in the extra added are also quite educational in a very nice way. Not the head-scratching erudition!

message 36: by Elli (new)

Elli | 169 comments Maude wrote: "Books re Explorers - Exciting, dangerous, unbelievable at times, and totally enjoyable."

message 37: by Elli (new)

Elli | 169 comments Gary Jennings, unfortunately passed away a few years ago, not that old, I don't think! Set in Middle America, Aztec civilization in particular exactly the time the conquistadors came and took over! Main teller is an old Aztec scholar at the end of his life. Think someone said that the only thing fictional about his writing were the individual characters themselves!

message 38: by Elli (new)

Elli | 169 comments Another...I think I'd compare alot of hers, Rosemary Sutcliffe, to several books related to what was happening in the rest of the world in 1492. I'm in the U.S. Sutcliffe was recommended as an author for Young Adults in a class I took. But somehow she never connected with my youngsters, perhaps the language subleties in meanings or events just didn't connect as they would with a youngster in UK, I don't know. But several of her books dealt with the around the Roman period in UK, and did you ever get to know the people and how they lived...and you were somehow there. Also the Vikings. Stories, adventure, native peoples, customs and how feelings were expressed. It's been a while, so they may not be that easy to get... But, I think, worth it if you do. Sort of in it's way, Harold Lamb type...

message 39: by Nita (new)

Nita (brooklynnina) | 1 comments Set in restoration london
About Nell Gwyn and John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester and King Charles II.

message 40: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Kindred (carrie_kindred) | 10 comments Tasha wrote: "non-fiction story based on event in history/person

we read so many historical fictions but maybe a true historical story thrown in every once in a while would be fun... for example, [book:The Na..."

I think both of those sound great!

message 41: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (HollyWeiss) | 377 comments I like ToniS's idea - something that is very of the time period, but wasn't written later, i.e. Dickens, Wilkie Collins, etc.

Another idea - something dealing with Native Americans, i.e. Geraldine Brooks' new novel Caleb's Crossingis about the first Native American to graduate from Harvard. But that isn't being released until 5/3 and I don't know how long the challenge goes.

James Alexander Thom wrote alot dealing with Native Americans as well.

message 42: by Carrie (last edited Feb 16, 2011 09:49AM) (new)

Carrie Kindred (carrie_kindred) | 10 comments @Holly: A Native American theme could be very interesting! Haven't read much on the topic.

In college I read a short story from Yellow Woman and a Beauty of the Spirit by Leslie Marmon Silko, a Native American writer. It was great -- dealt with the myths of NA culture.

message 43: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryNovik) | 23 comments Pam wrote: "Thanks Lucky, I have added a few titles to my TBR shelf!! I have read The Widow of the South, and loved it. North and South I read many many years ago, but it was also marvelous.

Have you read Someone Knows My Name?..."

This would be a great choice. Very readable and compelling. And yes, here in Canada, it was called The Book of Negroes. The author is Lawrence Hill

message 44: by Maya (new)

Maya | 5 comments @ Pam: I highly, highly recommend 'Someone Knows My Name' / 'Book of Negroes'. It is one of those books I feel like EVERYONE should read, for the sake of learning about a world issue that affects everyone on the planet in some way, through the medium of a very well-written story.

I include 'A Fine Balance' by Rohinton Mistry in that category as well (on living under a dictatorship and how there can be no excuse to maintain the caste system in India)

message 45: by Maya (new)

Maya | 5 comments on another subject: how far back do stories have be set to be considered historical fictionista material? After loving 'The Help', I now want to read 'Catfish Alley' and would be thrilled to have company.

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1 comments I think some Asian history needs to be added to the theme list. I loved Memoirs of a Geisha and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

message 47: by Maude (new)

Maude | 993 comments Oh, I LOVE all those suggestions! Maya, I just ordered Catfish Alley and would be glad to read along with you. Elli, I think you meant Ellis Peters, who is well known for her Cadfael books but has also written others as well - all good.

message 48: by Phair (new)

Phair (SPhair) | 46 comments Classical world (exclusive of Ancient Rome which has enough hist-fic for its own category)

message 49: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Doherty | 24 comments How's about Byzantium? You'd have a bit of medieval, a bit of Rome and all the eastern influence in there.

message 50: by Rusty (new)

Rusty | 1258 comments Exploring?

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust (other topics)
Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest (other topics)
Aztec (other topics)
The Year of Jubilo (other topics)
And One Wore Gray (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Owen Parry (other topics)
Lawrence Hill (other topics)
Priya vasudevan (other topics)
Andra Watkins (other topics)
Maggie Anton (other topics)
More...