The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Grace (PickingonStuff) (LovecraftLass) | 857 comments Help me out here! I need some good horror books. No paranormal romance, please. I like ghosts and ghouls and such. I'm not much for Zombies. Werewolves and vampires are okay.

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Porter (ChaoticBuffalo) They aren't novels, but Hans Holzer has lots of books about ghosts, polergeists, and hauntings. H. P. Lovecraft is also pretty good. His are mostly short stories or novellas.

Grace (PickingonStuff) (LovecraftLass) | 857 comments I've read a lot of Hans Holzer (I'll keep my opinion to myself) and I have a lot of H.P. Lovecraft, also.

message 4: by Sophie (last edited Aug 03, 2009 10:37AM) (new)

Sophie | 37 comments I'm not much of an expert in the genre, but I found The Shining by Stephen King a really excellent read. (If this does not fit in the horror genre, please correct me.)

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) The Shining is one of my favorite books ever. It does fit within the "horror" genre, absolutely, although I don't personally find it scary.

Some others that tends to scare the pants off people are "Pet Sematary" and "Salem's Lot" by Stephen King. Both are excellent books.

This thread just made me realize that I haven't been reading any horror lately... I should work on that!

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracey1970) | 78 comments I liked Spawn by Shawn Hutson. Is that horror?

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (Bellamy22) | 610 comments One of my favorites is 'The Taking' by Dean Koontz

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8804 comments Mod
Come Closer - Sara Gran
Heart Shaped Box - Joe Hill

These two creeped me out for awhile.

Geralds Game - Stephen King. If this is the one I am thinking of, it was the cause of me needing a light on SOMEWHERE in the house every nite for quite some time.. I couldnt be in the full dark, it fucked with my head, even tho the story iteself wasnt that great.

Grace (PickingonStuff) (LovecraftLass) | 857 comments Seth wrote: "The Revelation, by Bentley Little.
Nazareth Hill, by Ramsey Campbell.
Fevre Dream, by George R. R. Martin.
The Werewolf Of Paris, by Guy Endore.
Mine, by Robert McCammon.
Spawn, by Shaun Hutson.

Thanks for the great suggestions! I do have some of them (like Ghost Story and The Tommyknockers). I'm about to receive The Keep in the mail and I can't wait to read it. I'll definitely be looking up the others.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Shining (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen King (other topics)