Harry Potter discussion

Characters > Does Snape love Harry or does he just tolerate him, because of Lily?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 115) (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Codi (new)

Codi Does Snape love Harry or does he just tolerate him, because of Lily?

I think that in the passage in which Dumbledore asks Snape if he loves Harry and Snape replies, "For him?"

"Always"

I believe that Snape always loved Harry, because he was Lily's son, but I also think that in that last few books, Snape grew to love Harry for more than that.

What do you think?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I believe tat in the beginning, Snape only tolerated him because of Lily but then grew to Love him.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments I don't think that Snape loved Harry. Actually, I think he resented him, understandably, for being alive at the cost of Lily's life.

Also, Harry isn't just Lily's son. He's James's son.

He cared about Harry's well-being, but he didn't actually love him.

And by the way, although you got the dialog mostly right, you forgot one of Snape's actions, which makes it clear which Potter Snape loved.

*Snape accused Dumbledore of "raising him [Harry:] like a pig for slaughter..."*

"'But this is touching, Severeus,' Dumbledore said seriously. 'Have you grown to care for the boy, after all?'

'For him?' shouted Snape. 'Expecto Patronum!'

From the tip of his wand burst the silver doe...and his [Snape:] eyes were full of tears.

'After all this time?'

'Always,' said Snape."

Snape's Patronus--his happy thought/memory--is a silver doe, which represents Lily. James was generally associated with a stag--a male deer--, so it makes sense that Lily could be represented by a doe, a deer, a female deer.

This is basically Snape's way of saying that this whole time, he was doing this for Lily, and that he was still in love with her.

message 4: by Shirin (new)

Shirin (shirin2009) | 245 comments I'm agree with Rachel. Snape didn't love Harry because he was James's son after all.... and the only thing that he(Hary)had got from his mother was his eyes color and in the other ways, he looked like James.
But I also think that Snape DID care about Harry... not LOVE ofcorse but... I don't know how to explain it. Harry was LILY's son, too. and Harry was a person who Lily realy loved. Even more than her own life. If any of u have read "Harry's first cristmas" (By G.Norman Lippert), then u will undrestand what i mean.

message 5: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Pandy | 1574 comments Mod
I agree with everything Rachel said too. Snape doesn't love Harry, but he protects him and cares for him because he is Lily's son. I think the care he shows for Harry is just to keep him safe, not care for him personally.

message 6: by Healer (new)

Healer | 39 comments I also don’t think he loved Harry he was protecting him strictly because he was the son of the women he loved. I don’t think he hated Harry either. Harry reminded him of James if Harry had not basically been James carbon copy. Say for example if Harry had taken after Lily’s father then it would have been easier on him.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Well said Rachel. I agree with you.

message 8: by Sitian (new)

Sitian (ctonzhang) I don't think that he actually loved or hated him. I think that deep down he really did like Harry but not enough to call it love once he got to know him. I don't think Snape's the type of person who could actually show that he likes someone and so he acted like he hated Harry just because he was used to it.

message 9: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) | 103 comments aGREE with Rachel..

Looney Lovegood  | 480 comments That kinda makes sense!

message 11: by Cutter100 (new)

Cutter100 | 17 comments Completely agree.

message 12: by Novin , whose favortie character is Sirius Black. (new)

Novin  (novin) | 575 comments Mod
uhum

Looney Lovegood  | 480 comments :)

message 14: by Kendall Anne (new)

Kendall Anne (Dance4Life) | 84 comments yup. ^^

message 15: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments Hmmmmmmmm. Well, Snape loved Lily A LOT! And he really treated Harry Badly............ Ohhh! He treats him badly most likely because Lily turned him down!!! Ah-Ha! I get it now! lol

Looney Lovegood  | 480 comments noooo....HE treats him badly because He reminds him of Lily, but more of James. And everyone knows how Snape HATED James. (Harry's dad)

message 17: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments But he is still sad Lily turned him down!

Looney Lovegood  | 480 comments true that...

message 19: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments lol ur right too though!

message 20: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments yeah... im pretty sure it was toleration, Snape did anything he did for Lily. i think he would have loved it a lot better if Lily had his kid.

message 21: by Sarah ∞ (new)

Sarah ∞ (stargalgirl) | 559 comments yup... wait... yeah! lol

message 22: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay I think Snape could barely see past Harry's looks and similarities of James. When Snape caught glimpses of Harry's true nature, it reminded him of Lily and he resented himself for it. But Harry would always be Lily's son, but Snape thought more of Lily than Harry when he protected him.

message 23: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna | 9 comments at first he probably hated him because he was a reminder that lily chose james over him but as the years went on he probably grew to love him

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

With Brianne and Lindsay. z:)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I meant I agree with the 2 of them.

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 641 comments I think its how it looks: snape hated harry. It killed him to see those eyes he loved in the face of the one he hated above all, because james had taken Lily from him. I don't think Snape ever felt love or caring for harry at all. It makes Snape's story both redeemed and beautiful, because by "Always" he means that even though his loved one is gone, he still does all that she would want him to do, he still loves her, even if its so hard to do what she would want him to do.

message 28: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) | 155 comments Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "I don't think that Snape loved Harry. Actually, I think he resented him, understandably, for being alive at the cost of Lily's life.

Also, Harry isn't just Lily's son. He's James's son.

..."

I agree. I think he was saying there that it's Lily who he loves, even though he does come to grudgingly care about Harry.

message 29: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Pandy | 1574 comments Mod
I agree with Elizabeth. I don't think the "care" Snape shows for Harry is ever personal care for Harry - he does everything because of Lily; but I also don't think that means that he would readily let other die, since he tells Dumbledore that the people he has seen die, lately, are "those he could not save."

♥☽Gaarazbaby12☽♥  I agree with you Emma :)

message 31: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (MusicFreak) | 62 comments I think that at first, he just tolerated him, but them toward the end, he grew to care for him. Not LOVE, but CARE

message 32: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellaj15) | 1380 comments ♪☺†♫Kelsey♫†☺♪ wrote: "I think that at first, he just tolerated him, but them toward the end, he grew to care for him. Not LOVE, but CARE"

Yeah, that's how I always felt.

message 33: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellaj15) | 1380 comments Yeah, so, yeah, I guess I'm done in this topic..

message 34: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellaj15) | 1380 comments IDK I might still chat here......,

message 35: by Abi (new)

Abi Lou | 184 comments I don't really think Snape loved anyone but Lily, really. He barely tolerated Harry because of James.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

What do you mean?

message 38: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellaj15) | 1380 comments ♥Madison♥ wrote: "how do you make the start symbol?"

?????

message 39: by Abi (new)

Abi Lou | 184 comments start symbol??

message 40: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellaj15) | 1380 comments IDK...

message 41: by Abi (new)

Abi Lou | 184 comments haha so confuzzled.

message 42: by Tina (new)

Tina | 32 comments That Harry looked so much like James made him living proof that Lily chose James over him. Also, I think he felt like Harry was one of the reasons Lily died. I think Snape really hated Harry in the beginning, but after a while he started to care for him. I don't think he ever loved him.

message 43: by Abi (new)

Abi Lou | 184 comments do you mean the star symbol?

message 44: by Guitar Chick (new)

Guitar Chick (GuitarChick) | 170 comments I think that Snape didin't really like Harry much in the begining, because he remembered that he Was James's son. But as the books progressed, he started to love him because he was Lily's son.

message 45: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellaj15) | 1380 comments Guitar Chick wrote: "I think that Snape didin't really like Harry much in the begining, because he remembered that he Was James's son. But as the books progressed, he started to love him because he was Lily's son."

YEA!!!!!!!!!! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!!!!!!!!!!

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3 comments I think he hated Harry at first but he protected him for Lily. He must of resented Harry. He had the eyes of the woman he loved on the face of the one he hated. he reminded him so much of Lily he had to hate him.

message 47: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellaj15) | 1380 comments Sarah wrote: "I think he hated Harry at first but he protected him for Lily. He must of resented Harry. He had the eyes of the woman he loved on the face of the one he hated. he reminded him so much of Lily he h..."

*Nods* Yep. Totally.

message 48: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 170 comments Yeah I think he hates Harry beacause of James, but won't do anything because of Lily. In the 7th book, when Snape is dying, he tells Harry to look at him because he has Lily's eyes. He wanted to see Lily before he died.

message 49: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellaj15) | 1380 comments Alexis wrote: "Yeah I think he hates Harry beacause of James, but won't do anything because of Lily. In the 7th book, when Snape is dying, he tells Harry to look at him because he has Lily's eyes. He wanted to se..."

That's just plain stupid if you ask me.... Think of this conversation: "LOOK @ ME!!!" "Why?" "CUZ I WANNA SEE YA MOM BEFORE I DIE!!!!!"

Sorry I just had to make it sound that way.

message 50: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 170 comments Yeah I know...snape needed to get over Lily A LONG time ago!

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread