Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general) > August - What are you currently reading?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 98) (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8991 comments Although I'ts still July where I am, certain parts of the world, August is about to begin.

So I'm going to go ahead and put this thread up, since our dear Kasia is off on vacation.

You guys know what to do with this thread!

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) | 1979 comments Ok I am EX-IC-TED to begin August. Though I am hardly finishing all the challenges I am glad to begin another month. I am looking forward to the August Monthly challenge =D.

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan (authorsidekick) I'm counting down the minutes till midnight so I can start Destined for an Early Grave. 54 minutes. Ahhhhhhh!!

message 4: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (Shigyrl30) | 27 comments I'm currently reading Ashes of Midnight by Lara Adrian.

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 367 comments Just started Edge of Hunger by Rhyannon Byrd.

message 6: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8991 comments I'm still working on books I started on July:

Devil's Pact by Samantha Cruise - This one is slow-going for me because it is an e-book, and I'm not really fond of reading in front of a computer.

Inner Harbor by Nora Roberts - 2nd book in her Chesapeake saga. Listening to it in audiobook format. So far has some pretty emotional moments, and it's making me teary-eyed while driving....Not a good idea...LOL

Destined for an Early Grave by Jeanine Frost - It doesn't belong to any of my challenge list, but I just have to read this. Can't wait to read more about Cat and Bones, who is fast becoming my all-time Urban Fantasy favorite couple.

message 7: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 1173 comments I'm reading When He Was Wicked by Julia Quinn.

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 303 comments Started Swallowing Darkness (Meredith Gentry, #7)  by Laurell K. Hamilton last night.

I'm also still working on No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole Stardoc (Stardoc, #1) by S.L. Viehl and Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong from July. I've only got 30 pages left for No Rest for the Wicked so I'll finish whenever I can break away from here for 20 minutes or so. Ha. The other two I can't seem to feel the need to finish any time soon so I'm not sure when I will.

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) | 1979 comments Sarah wrote: "Just started Edge of Hunger by Rhyannon Byrd."

Same here!

I have many still going but I LOVE starting books I have been craving!

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) I'm also still working on a book I started last week. Secrets, Skin and Leather by Sean Michael. I have my usual frustration with this book that I do with a lot of Sean's books. The characters are fascinating but you don't get deep enough into their relationship or story because it's primarily what they do in the bedroom as opposed to what they do outside of it. Only about a third of the way in though so maybe that will change.

message 11: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 303 comments Got bored with Swallowing Darkness (Meredith Gentry, #7)  by Laurell K. Hamilton so I started [image error] last night. I have to say that I absolutely love Georgina and her friends and I stayed up way too late reading again.

message 12: by Julianna (last edited Aug 02, 2009 05:35PM) (new)

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 1368 comments I'm working on two new books:
Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion by Mark Cotta Vaz (although I technically started during the last few hours of July, so it doesn't count for any August challenges)
Abiding Love by Elizabeth Murphy

message 13: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 | 588 comments I've started "Ready" by Lucy Monroe and I really like it.

message 14: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 4258 comments I'm slowly working my way through World Without End (1024 pp) for the Summer Challenge, so I take light breaks - just finishing Lady with a Black Umbrella and starting Strawberry Shortcake Murder - part of the fun of Fluke's books are her usually yummy recipes.

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Reading Knowing Caleb the fifth book in the Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana series. I've really enjoyed these books which included two m/f and three m/m stories.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Michelle_Mc) | 670 comments I'm starting Bad Moon Rising tonight when the boys are in bed. It arrived today, I've been looking forward to this one!

message 17: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 303 comments Started both One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost and Poison Sleep (Marla Mason, #2) by T.A. Pratt last night. I read the first chapter of One Foot in the Grave and I couldn't remember what happened in the last book. Kind of a bummer. Poison Sleep on the other started off with a bang. Marla is so foulmouthed and funny it's hilarious.

message 18: by Jane (last edited Aug 03, 2009 12:15PM) (new)

Jane I am currently reading Enemy Women A Novel and I am about to start A Room With a View. I'm enjoying Enemy Women so far... I made this list of my favorite books: http://www.ranker.com/list/books-that...

message 19: by Dalene (last edited Aug 03, 2009 03:36PM) (new)

Dalene  | 82 comments I am currently reading Living Dead in Dallas 2nd Book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I am also reading Darkfever by Karen Moning. This is the first time I've read this author and genre. I'm really liking it as well.

message 20: by Erotic Horizon (new)

Erotic Horizon (EroticHorizon) | 1 comments Working my way through Lynn Viehl - Darkyn Books - they are brilliant so far...

up to number 5 of 7 books.

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1216 comments Just finished reading The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity, Mildred Pierce, and Selected Stories for my book 2 movie challenge. Now I'm dying to see how they made a movie out of a 100 page short story. Plus, the story was good. His stories were all about the "perfect" murder. Oh how I wish people still spoke like the characters in these stories. I loved the phrasing!

I'm about to start Family Affair A Novel by Caprice Crane which I won an advance copy right here on goodreads. It just came in the mail today and I'm so excited to get started. I've read her other two books and she is a great writer. So funny and great stories.

message 22: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 | 588 comments Starting Prince Joe (Tall, Dark & Dangerous #1), by Suzanne Brockman. This is my first in this series and my very first Brockmann book.

message 23: by Purple (new)

Purple (PurpleNat) | 1221 comments Its finally out, Cape Storm by Rachel Caine. =D Im burning candles for this. Love it!

message 24: by Aileen (new)

Aileen (MystykPhoenix) | 15 comments I'm reading the last book in the School for Heiresses Series by Sabrina Jeffries: Wed Him Before You Bed Him. I have so many books I wanna read that I am losing my mind figuring out which one to start and finish. -LoL-

message 25: by Emily (new)

Emily | 203 comments Right now I'm reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. So far it's an interesting read, told from 3 different first person povs. I might start the Wedding Girl by Madeleine Wickham as well, since both are short term checkouts from the library.

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) I'm reading The Broken Road and wow... Sean Michael's books are usually a little plot in between a lot of sex. That's okay when it's what I'm in the mood for. This book is completely different. I'm about 1/3 of the way in and no sex yet! Instead we're learning all about Ardie and West's friendship from when they first meet in the 2nd grade. Sean Michael always creates very interesting characters and when he focuses on the story, it's really fabulous.

message 27: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilygcs) | 73 comments This is my first monthly challenge.

So far in August I've read...

Off the Beaten Path, Chef on Chef: Basil, ePistols at Dawn, Turquoise and Leather, Give Me One Match, Because of the Brave, The Gift of Giving

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 81 comments i started Bad Moon Rising
and i also started The Undomestic Goddess

message 29: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 4258 comments Still working my way through World Without End (1024 pp) for the Summer Challenge - almost 2/3 done. My book-of-the-moment is Hidden Currents (for the Romance Readers' and the PNR challenges). The Drake Sisters series has gradually been getting darker & darker, so poor Elle is getting the full nasty treatment.

message 30: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 1368 comments I just started Texas Glory by Lorraine Heath

message 31: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilygcs) | 73 comments I'm reading The Back Passage by James Lear.

message 32: by Varsha (new)

Varsha | 9 comments Started [image error]... loved it so far...

message 33: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (JessiM) | 131 comments I am reading [image error], i was hooked from the first page. I love the characters, especially Dante, I can't wait to see how the story plays out.

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Jessi wrote: "I am reading [image error], i was hooked from the first page. I love the characters, especially Dante, I can't wait to see how the story plays out. "

LOVED this book! The second one is just as good.

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) I'm reading Crossing Borders. I love this author. The writing is crisp, funny and hot. "Sparky" is refreshing as a 19 year old physics major who is so smart, confident and not at all intimidated by this older lover, 27 year old cop Michael.

message 36: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (JessiM) | 131 comments Lori wrote: LOVED this book! The second one is jsut as good..."

**Slight Spoilers**

I am about halfway through it, I can't wait to finish it and find out what is going on. Do Dante and Heather ever get together as a couple or just stay friends?

message 37: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 1173 comments Tonight I'm starting Once A Pirate by Susan Grant.

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Jessi wrote: "Lori wrote: LOVED this book! The second one is jsut as good..."

**Slight Spoilers**

I am about halfway through it, I can't wait to finish it and find out what is going on. Do Dante and Heath..."

I'm not telling! You'll see...

message 39: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (JessiM) | 131 comments "I'm not telling! You'll see..."

No fair, just kidding. I read so more on my lunch break, and it somewhat answered the question! :)

message 40: by MK (Food actvist) (last edited Aug 07, 2009 04:52PM) (new)

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) | 1979 comments Lori wrote: "I'm reading The Broken Road and wow... Sean Michael's books are usually a little plot in between a lot of sex. That's okay when it's what I'm in the mood for. This book is completely..."

I haven't yet read any Sean Micheal books. I think I have some on my TBR pile. I like a little more romance though.

My currents are:

Stranger by Megan Hart
Edge Of Hunger by Rhyannon Byrd
Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning

message 41: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 2416 comments I just finished Ain't Myth-Behaving and thought it was boring as hell. I love Katie's dragon books and even like her vampire books but this was crap.

message 42: by MK (Food actvist) (last edited Aug 07, 2009 10:38PM) (new)

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) | 1979 comments I picked up Dark Whispers again tonight and read a D/s-shifter short called Bound by Leather.

message 43: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (fergeygirl) | 8 comments Sarah wrote: "Just started Edge of Hunger by Rhyannon Byrd."

I really think you will like these. It took a bit to get into the story behind this series, but now I can't wait for the next trilogy to be released. I love the alpha males she has written. I think there is nothing better than a sexy alpha!! Keep reading and let me know what you think.

Stacey

message 44: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (fergeygirl) | 8 comments Tiffany wrote: "I'm currently reading Ashes of Midnight by Lara Adrian."

I totally love this series. I devoured it in no time. What do you think of it so far?

message 45: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (fergeygirl) | 8 comments I'm currently reading Jacquelyn Frank's Nightwalkers. I;m on Jacob, just started.

message 46: by Sarah ~Sehrenity~ (last edited Aug 08, 2009 01:03PM) (new)

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 367 comments I really think you will like these. It took a bit to get into the story behind this series, but now I can't wait for the next trilogy t..."

The first one was ok, but it didn't blow me away. I'll read the next two because they are already in my TBR pile. Maybe I will get more involved with those.

I'm currently reading My Immortal by Erin McCarthy.

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 367 comments Stacey wrote: "I'm currently reading Jacquelyn Frank's Nightwalkers. I;m on Jacob, just started."

I really liked that one, but I haven't read the whole series yet.

message 48: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (fergeygirl) | 8 comments My only problem with these books which I just couldn't put my finger on until about halfway through the book was that the majority it consisted of each characters thoughts so much so that I almost lost interest because of the lack of interaction between the pages of thoughts! At first I considered it part of setting up the story, but as it kept up all the way through I figured I would have to quit reading or just stick it out. I guess you already know I stuck it out. My favorite part of these books were the alpha male aspect so maybe that was what kept me going. Anyway I had to read the next ones out of curiosity. I thought they got better after the story started to unfold and the Maverick was explained.

Hopefully you won't think they are a waste of time and give the next ones a chance.
By the way what do you think of Erin McCarthy? I've had her on my "to buy" list for a while. I just can't decide to go ahead and buy them.

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 367 comments Stacey wrote: "By the way what do you think of Erin McCarthy? I've had her on my "to buy" list for a while. I just can't decide to go ahead and buy them.

So far, I really like My Immortal. I'm trying to think of what it's like... dark, sensual, tortured hero who makes a disastrous choice; realistically-sized elementary school teacher who is looking for self worth. I'm assuming the two collide to help each other discover a Happily Ever After--he to be redeemed and she to find self-worth.

Maybe like Adrian Phoenix or Gena Showalter, if you've read them.

message 50: by Arch (new)

Arch I'm reading Hot Pursuit by Suzanne Brockmann.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Destined for an Early Grave (other topics)
Devil's Pact (other topics)
Inner Harbor (other topics)
When He Was Wicked (other topics)
Bitten (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Lear (other topics)
Megan Hart (other topics)
Rhyannon Byrd (other topics)
Karen Marie Moning (other topics)
Angela Fiddler (other topics)
More...