Arthuriana -- all things King Arthur ! discussion

Perceval

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) | 187 comments Mod
Does anyone recommend a good novel (I am definitely in a fiction mood) that deals largely with Perceval? It can be an older novel as long as I have some chance of finding it somewhere. All suggestions with be appreciated?

message 2: by Duntay (last edited Jul 29, 2009 11:40AM) (new)

Duntay | 22 comments He's also known as Peredur if that helps...he appears in the Mabinogion. Here is a summary of his story:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/history/si...

it is kind of exciting if you can't find anything else..

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Adderley (markadderley) | 43 comments The Peredur story can be a bit confusing. But there's the medieval stories by Chretien de Troyes and Wolfram von Eschenbach, and they're both very good.
Perceval or the Story of the Grail by Chr├ętien de Troyes
Parzival (Penguin Classics) by Wolfram von Eschenbach

If you are in a mood for a modern novel, I'd suggest the following:
Parsifal's Page (The Squire's Tales, Book 4) by Gerald Morris
Gerald Morris is one of the most underrated authors of modern Arthurian fiction. Almost as underrated as me, I suppose.

Cheers,
Mark Adderley

message 4: by Thalia (new)

Thalia The only one I've read that focuses on Perceval is Kinsmen of the Grail by Dorothy James Roberts. Read it recently. I liked it. It was a bit hard to find though. It's really told more from the POV of Gawin. Another book I have found, but not yet read isPercival's Angelby Anne Eliot Crompton

message 5: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (SarahCarmack) | 187 comments Mod
Thanks for the titles everyone. I think I will pull out my Mabinogion and start there. I have read the Gerald Morris and Percival's Angel. Morris was good, but I didn't really like the Crompton.

I will keep looking around and post more Perceval if I find some odd titles out there. And I will post some thoughts on Peredur later on.

Thanks all.

Arthuriana -- all things King Arthur !

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Parzival (other topics)
Parsifal's Page (other topics)
Perceval, or The Story of the Grail (other topics)
Percival's Angel (other topics)
Kinsmen of the Grail (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dorothy James Roberts (other topics)
Anne Eliot Crompton (other topics)