You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Book Group: Book Discussions > August choice: The True History of the Kelly Gang ~ Discussion lead by Jenny

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (last edited Jul 26, 2009 03:50AM) (new)

Jenny (sunnysweetpea) | 890 comments I'm off on holiday tomorrow for a week, and will get this read while I am away.

Feel free to start discussing and I will be back with some questions in a weeks time :)

message 2: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (new)

Jenny (sunnysweetpea) | 890 comments I am back! I have to admit I haven't finished the book yet due to the fact that I am not finding it 'easy' to read. I have to concentrate quite a lot on his language. Anyone else finding this? Anyone else reading it :)

I am going to get it read asap. Bear with me!

Mary have read this before and enjoyed it.
finding the accent strange as,to me, it reads as english country yokel not australian. perhaps to Australians it reads differently - but then,I grew up a mile away from DH Lawrence's home and could never make any sense of his written dialect, so perhaps it's me.

Asma Fedosia (InTheNoh) Jenny wrote: "I am back! I have to admit I haven't finished the book yet due to the fact that I am not finding it 'easy' to read. I have to concentrate quite a lot on his language. Anyone else finding this? Anyo..."

I'm reading the novel while listening to the audiobook version.

Heather (hpduck) | 388 comments I did find the grammar issues a bit frustrating when I read it a few months ago. It took me a good 100 or so pages to finally get into the groove of things. Once I got over that, I really liked it.

Shannon (sianin) | 471 comments I found that eventually the voice of the book added to it. My recommendation would be to stick with it. I do wonder now how Australians find the voice? Is it authentic? My guess is yes.

message 7: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (new)

Jenny (sunnysweetpea) | 890 comments I stuck with it and you're right I think it adds to the story. I would love to know if it does sound authentic or not.

Asma Fedosia (InTheNoh) I'm into two books now. Stieg Larsson's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is read straight up in basic English. Amitav Ghosh's Sea of Poppies is improved with the open book and the audio CD. The dramatized reading with Indian names, places, and customs helps with the pronunciation of those non-English references.

message 9: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (new)

Jenny (sunnysweetpea) | 890 comments You're probably right Asmah. I think if I listened to the audio it might be helpful.

Mary watched Heath Ledger in Ned Kelly last night and he had an Irish accent. I don't think this is what Peter Carey is trying to write,is it?

Asma Fedosia (InTheNoh) Ned Kelly's father was Irish. The website <> describes a Irish diaspora to Australia.

message 12: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (new)

Jenny (sunnysweetpea) | 890 comments Whilst reading this book I am wondering how much/if any of this book is true. I'm going to spend some time hunting online for his history but do you think using fiction to describe someone real is misleading? Do you think Ned Kelly was actually a hero or have stories about him been elaborated over time?

This is interesting actually as one of the themes nominated for next month is fiction books based on real life characters.

Shannon (sianin) | 471 comments There are so many books that use fiction to describge someone real. I t hink depending upon how the book is set-up it may be misleading but as long as you know you are reading fiction I have no problem with it.

Also, there are several people who are both bad guys and heroes. Its an odd dicotamy in human nature. Robin Hood is the most famous one that comes to mind. Certainly there are many infamous people who have captured literary (and other) interest): Jesse James, Al Capone, oh and others that have slipped my mind.

Shannon (sianin) | 471 comments There hasn't been much more talk on this book but I thought I would say that I have read other Peter Carey books and they are so different from this one. He has a way of immersing himself into a book and writing so convincingly from the perspective of his main character. I think he does a good job with a variety of voices. I read The True History after reading My Life as a Fake to see if the writing style would be the same because My Life was so literary and complex (but good) that I was amazed that it was the same author. Love it when an author can pull off such different styles and doesn't stick to a formula.

message 15: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (new)

Jenny (sunnysweetpea) | 890 comments Probably my fault that there's not been much talk. I'm trying to find the time to read it I promise :(

Will power read my way through it by the end of the week.

I'm still finding his style in this book hard going. There are also a lot of characters. Finding it hard to know who's who!

This is quite a good website about Ned Kelly http://www.ironoutlaw.com/index.html

message 16: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (new)

Jenny (sunnysweetpea) | 890 comments Why do you think Kelly is writing to his daughter in the book? What do you think his motives for writing to her are? Do you think he needs to be justifying his actions?

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread