Book Haven discussion

Games/Fun > Strange Facts

Comments (showing 51-100 of 122) (122 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) hahahaha! That is awesome!

Ninety percent of New York City cabbies are recently arrived immigrants.

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 2054 comments Battle Creek, Michigan is referred to as the "Cereal Bowl of America." The city produces the most breakfast cereals than any other city in the world

message 53: by سكينة (new)

سكينة مجاهد | 283 comments Snow is actually clear or transparent. Snow appears white because the crystals act as prisms which the human eye perceives as white or blue.

message 54: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 34 comments Rotate your right foot clockwise. Now draw a 6 in the air with your right hand. What happened to your foot?

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 2054 comments Verona, the Italian city where Shakespeare's play lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives about 1,000 letters every year sent to Juliet on Valentine's Day.

message 56: by سكينة (new)

سكينة مجاهد | 283 comments Each year over $2,000,000,000 worth of Halloween candy is sold.

message 57: by Safa (new)

Safa Qasmi (StrategicallyMiscellaneous) Every year, Mt. Everest grows 1 cm.

message 58: by سكينة (new)

سكينة مجاهد | 283 comments Most People use over 16,000 gallons of water in their lifetimes, or 2.5 quarts per day.

message 59: by Sonya (new)

Sonya v.e. | 431 comments a kiln was discovered and it is 600 years old.

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 2054 comments Buckingham Palace has over six hundred rooms.

message 61: by Safa (new)

Safa Qasmi (StrategicallyMiscellaneous) The hundred years' war actually lasted for 116 years.

message 62: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PG4003) | 148 comments A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champange will bounce up and down continually from the bottom of the glass to the top.

message 63: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Patricia wrote: "A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champange will bounce up and down continually from the bottom of the glass to the top."

Really? lol

message 64: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PG4003) | 148 comments Not speaking from personal experience.....just looked it up!

message 65: by J.D. (new)

Patricia wrote: "Not speaking from personal experience.....just looked it up!"

lol Now I want to buy raisins and champagne to try it out. lol

message 66: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (HeidiAngell) | 199 comments Armadillos have four babies at a time and they are always the same sex. They are also the only animals (besides humans)who can have leprosy.

Totally random, but just learned this when showing my children what armadillos were!

message 67: by J.D. (new)

Heidi wrote: "Armadillos have four babies at a time and they are always the same sex. They are also the only animals (besides humans)who can have leprosy.

Totally random, but just learned this when showing my c..."

lol Okay, I totally have to let me husband know about some of these. He's OBSESSED with random facts, which makes sense since he's in school to be a teacher. ;)

message 68: by eleanor (last edited Jun 30, 2011 11:20PM) (new)

eleanor | 73 comments Calico cats are 99.99999 percent born Female

message 69: by Tori (new)

Tori (Gwyllon) | 9 comments "Bookkeeper" is the only word in English language with three consecutive Double letters

All the planets in our solar system rotate anticlockwise, except Venus. It is the only planet that rotates clockwise

A normal person laughs five times in a day

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (Shadowrose) | 534 comments eleanor wrote: "Calico cats are 99.99999 percent born Female"

Yep I have one...and they are all equal parts insane. I swear I've never met a Calico that didn't have some sort of crazed moment.

message 71: by eleanor (new)

eleanor | 73 comments yeah. Honestly I think it's the Female. I have another female & a Siamese looking male & the boy is such a sweetheart.. The girls are a bit High-Strung

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 2054 comments The smile is the most frequently used facial expression. A smile can use anywhere from a pair of 5 to 53 facial muscles.

message 73: by eleanor (new)

eleanor | 73 comments O yeah.. If anyone remembers the old "Lassie" series. The collie they used was a boy. I was shunned by my friends when I told them but it's 'strange but true'

message 74: by J.D. (new)

Gwyllon wrote: ""Bookkeeper" is the only word in English language with three consecutive Double letters

All the planets in our solar system rotate anticlockwise, except Venus. It is the only planet that rotates..."

I guess that makes me abnormal! I already laughed more than 5x this morning!

I have two calico's. One is very sweet and docile. The other is sweet, but very high maintenance. :)

message 75: by Nada (new)

Nada Al-Karmi (Nadooush) A human body only uses third of the energy stored in the muscles.

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (Shadowrose) | 534 comments J.D. wrote: "I have two calico's. One is very sweet and docile. The other is sweet, but very high maintenance. :) "

You are lucky...every calico I've met has been wacko, especially when they were younger. Now that my cat is about 9 she's calmed down a bit, so she's no longer ambushing people from the top of cabinets but she still lures you into the trap of trying to pet her.

message 77: by eleanor (new)

eleanor | 73 comments LOL.. Ambushing from the cabinets.. That's Awesome.. LOL

message 78: by Tori (new)

Tori (Gwyllon) | 9 comments J.D. wrote: "Gwyllon wrote: ""Bookkeeper" is the only word in English language with three consecutive Double letters

All the planets in our solar system rotate anticlockwise, except Venus. It is the only plane..."

Same here, I laugh more then 5 times on a bad day.

message 79: by eleanor (new)

eleanor | 73 comments Madalyn wrote: "Four people have been reported hibernating through the winter"

I actually hibernate thru the summers here in the desert. Strange but True

message 80: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (samuraibunny) | 130 comments The numbers '172' can be found on the back of the U.S. $5 dollar bill in the bushes at the base of the Lincoln Memorial.

message 81: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 25 comments Frozen lobsters can come back to life when thawed!

message 82: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments Every few thousand years the earth reverses magnetic poles. Compass needles will point south instead of north. Then a few thousand years later flip back again.

message 83: by Susan (new)

Susan Charlotte wrote: "Frozen lobsters can come back to life when thawed!"

Don't laugh ... I just heard that hospitals now experiment wit"freezing" trauma victims with severe injuries and keeping them at 15 degrees ...

message 84: by J.D. (new)

Medical centers in the US just took a stand on c-sections and inductions earlier than 39 weeks along.

message 85: by Amanda (last edited Dec 01, 2011 09:32AM) (new)

Amanda (Crimsonorchid) In MT it is illegal for an unmarried woman to go fishing by herself on Sundays.

More then likely that is a very, very old law.

message 86: by Mysterium (new)

Mysterium (ColumbiaShoresInterfaith) | 247 comments The kilt originated in France

message 87: by Mysterium (new)

Mysterium (ColumbiaShoresInterfaith) | 247 comments Alaska by itself has as much coastline as the rest of the U.S

message 88: by Laerke (new)

Laerke (NiPuk) | 13 comments Most cows give more milk when listening to music.

message 89: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 34 comments The expression 'the real McCoy' probably comes from a bootlegger called William McCoy who was famous for never watering down his beer.

message 90: by Reading (new)

Reading | 1 comments Plants can suffer from jet lag.

message 91: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 34 comments Many ant species practice slavery.

message 92: by Rhianna (new)

Rhianna 1 in every 4 Americans has appeared on t.v.

message 93: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 108 comments Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

message 94: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann Duelling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

message 95: by Rhianna (new)

Rhianna Rebecca wrote: "a woman's uterus is the same size as one of her feet" Don't actually think that's possible unless there's a baby growing..

Tourists visiting Iceland should know that tipping at a restaurant is considered an insult.

message 96: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (Jonathan1) In the United Kingdom, before decimalisation in 1971, £1 consisted on 240d (240 pennies).

message 97: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 34 comments The death of the Roman emperor Valerian was supposedly due to the Persian king pouring molten gold down his throat.

message 98: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (Jonathan1) Pizza is Greek. The Italians just added tomato and cheese.

message 99: by Joy (new)

Joy | 35 comments I enjoyed reading all of these! lol

message 100: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 6 comments Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie!

unread topics | mark unread