Book Haven discussion

Games/Fun > Strange Facts

Comments (showing 51-100 of 119) (119 new)    post a comment »

Erin E (elizamc) hahahaha! That is awesome!

Ninety percent of New York City cabbies are recently arrived immigrants.

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 2054 comments Battle Creek, Michigan is referred to as the "Cereal Bowl of America." The city produces the most breakfast cereals than any other city in the world

Skena | 269 comments Snow is actually clear or transparent. Snow appears white because the crystals act as prisms which the human eye perceives as white or blue.

Rachel | 34 comments Rotate your right foot clockwise. Now draw a 6 in the air with your right hand. What happened to your foot?

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 2054 comments Verona, the Italian city where Shakespeare's play lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives about 1,000 letters every year sent to Juliet on Valentine's Day.

Skena | 269 comments Each year over $2,000,000,000 worth of Halloween candy is sold.

Safa Qasmi (SafaQasmi) Every year, Mt. Everest grows 1 cm.

Skena | 269 comments Most People use over 16,000 gallons of water in their lifetimes, or 2.5 quarts per day.

Sonya v.e. | 401 comments a kiln was discovered and it is 600 years old.

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 2054 comments Buckingham Palace has over six hundred rooms.

Safa Qasmi (SafaQasmi) The hundred years' war actually lasted for 116 years.

Patricia (PG4003) | 148 comments A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champange will bounce up and down continually from the bottom of the glass to the top.

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Patricia wrote: "A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champange will bounce up and down continually from the bottom of the glass to the top."

Really? lol

Patricia (PG4003) | 148 comments Not speaking from personal experience.....just looked it up!

Patricia wrote: "Not speaking from personal experience.....just looked it up!"

lol Now I want to buy raisins and champagne to try it out. lol

Heidi Angell (HeidiAngell) | 193 comments Armadillos have four babies at a time and they are always the same sex. They are also the only animals (besides humans)who can have leprosy.

Totally random, but just learned this when showing my children what armadillos were!

Heidi wrote: "Armadillos have four babies at a time and they are always the same sex. They are also the only animals (besides humans)who can have leprosy.

Totally random, but just learned this when showing my c..."

lol Okay, I totally have to let me husband know about some of these. He's OBSESSED with random facts, which makes sense since he's in school to be a teacher. ;)

message 68: by eleanor (last edited Jun 30, 2011 11:20PM) (new)

eleanor | 73 comments Calico cats are 99.99999 percent born Female

Tori (Gwyllon) | 9 comments "Bookkeeper" is the only word in English language with three consecutive Double letters

All the planets in our solar system rotate anticlockwise, except Venus. It is the only planet that rotates clockwise

A normal person laughs five times in a day

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (Shadowrose) | 534 comments eleanor wrote: "Calico cats are 99.99999 percent born Female"

Yep I have one...and they are all equal parts insane. I swear I've never met a Calico that didn't have some sort of crazed moment.

eleanor | 73 comments yeah. Honestly I think it's the Female. I have another female & a Siamese looking male & the boy is such a sweetheart.. The girls are a bit High-Strung

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 2054 comments The smile is the most frequently used facial expression. A smile can use anywhere from a pair of 5 to 53 facial muscles.

eleanor | 73 comments O yeah.. If anyone remembers the old "Lassie" series. The collie they used was a boy. I was shunned by my friends when I told them but it's 'strange but true'

Gwyllon wrote: ""Bookkeeper" is the only word in English language with three consecutive Double letters

All the planets in our solar system rotate anticlockwise, except Venus. It is the only planet that rotates..."

I guess that makes me abnormal! I already laughed more than 5x this morning!

I have two calico's. One is very sweet and docile. The other is sweet, but very high maintenance. :)

Nada Al-Karmi (Nadooush) A human body only uses third of the energy stored in the muscles.

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (Shadowrose) | 534 comments J.D. wrote: "I have two calico's. One is very sweet and docile. The other is sweet, but very high maintenance. :) "

You are lucky...every calico I've met has been wacko, especially when they were younger. Now that my cat is about 9 she's calmed down a bit, so she's no longer ambushing people from the top of cabinets but she still lures you into the trap of trying to pet her.

eleanor | 73 comments LOL.. Ambushing from the cabinets.. That's Awesome.. LOL

Tori (Gwyllon) | 9 comments J.D. wrote: "Gwyllon wrote: ""Bookkeeper" is the only word in English language with three consecutive Double letters

All the planets in our solar system rotate anticlockwise, except Venus. It is the only plane..."

Same here, I laugh more then 5 times on a bad day.

eleanor | 73 comments Madalyn wrote: "Four people have been reported hibernating through the winter"

I actually hibernate thru the summers here in the desert. Strange but True

Vivian (samuraibunny) | 130 comments The numbers '172' can be found on the back of the U.S. $5 dollar bill in the bushes at the base of the Lincoln Memorial.

Charlotte | 25 comments Frozen lobsters can come back to life when thawed!

Cary (Vortigern) | 337 comments Every few thousand years the earth reverses magnetic poles. Compass needles will point south instead of north. Then a few thousand years later flip back again.

Susan | 42 comments Charlotte wrote: "Frozen lobsters can come back to life when thawed!"

Don't laugh ... I just heard that hospitals now experiment wit"freezing" trauma victims with severe injuries and keeping them at 15 degrees ...

Medical centers in the US just took a stand on c-sections and inductions earlier than 39 weeks along.

message 85: by Crimsonorchid (last edited Dec 01, 2011 09:32AM) (new)

Crimsonorchid In MT it is illegal for an unmarried woman to go fishing by herself on Sundays.

More then likely that is a very, very old law.

Mysterium (ColumbiaShoresInterfaith) | 247 comments The kilt originated in France

Mysterium (ColumbiaShoresInterfaith) | 247 comments Alaska by itself has as much coastline as the rest of the U.S

Laerke (NiPuk) | 13 comments Most cows give more milk when listening to music.

Rachel | 34 comments The expression 'the real McCoy' probably comes from a bootlegger called William McCoy who was famous for never watering down his beer.

Reading | 1 comments Plants can suffer from jet lag.

Rachel | 34 comments Many ant species practice slavery.

Rhianna 1 in every 4 Americans has appeared on t.v.

Denise Baer | 78 comments Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

☀ Jo Ann ❀ Duelling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

Rhianna Rebecca wrote: "a woman's uterus is the same size as one of her feet" Don't actually think that's possible unless there's a baby growing..

Tourists visiting Iceland should know that tipping at a restaurant is considered an insult.

Jonathan (Jonathan1) In the United Kingdom, before decimalisation in 1971, £1 consisted on 240d (240 pennies).

Rachel | 34 comments The death of the Roman emperor Valerian was supposedly due to the Persian king pouring molten gold down his throat.

Jonathan (Jonathan1) Pizza is Greek. The Italians just added tomato and cheese.

Joy | 35 comments I enjoyed reading all of these! lol

Melissa | 6 comments Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie!

unread topics | mark unread