Book Haven discussion

Contemporary Romance > Erotica vs. Romantica

Comments (showing 1-50 of 110) (110 new)    post a comment »

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) Is there really a difference? I started this thread b/c there isn't a folder for Erotica or Romantica. But it most definitely can be labeled contemporary for the most part.

I def. like Romantica more. I have read 1 erotica novel(recently) and liked the writing but the sex every other paragraph was tiring for ME! How the characters got rest to go to work or anything else was beyond me, lol. The love was more attraction than heart-felt.

I like the development of a relationship than just the relentless lust. Though I don't knock Erotica lovers b/c Erotic Romance can definitely be heavily dosed with sex, but the romance has to be there for me to be pleased.

Eastofoz I thought Romantica was something that Ellora's Cave "created" (?) Sort of like a line of books. I think I read somewhere that Erotica doesn't necessarily have to have an HEA but Romantica does. Maybe I'm wrong though (lol!)

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) Yes! This is where I first read the term "Romantica". I loved it though b/c the sex is steamier than regular romance but it and it still has romantic elements. So its not total Erotica. I like the distinction.

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 653 comments I'm with you Kenjii. I'm not very interested in readng regular Erotica. I have to have some romance and relationship development and preferably an HEA in my stories to be satisfied. Even some of the Erotic Romances I've read seem to have so much sex that it overpowers the plot and romance elements. I tend to be very picky about my Erotic Romance, and it seems to take a talented author to find the right balance to satisfy me.

BTW, "Romantica" is a term that was coined by Ellora's Cave. In fact, they have it trademarked.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I too prefer the erotic romance over erotica. I need that romantic element to satisfy me. There are many mainstream authors who are borderline erotic in my opinion.

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 82 comments The problem with erotica is there is rarely a good storyline involved and I find myself skipping the other bits to get to the steamy stuff...and inevitably I end up not ever finishing the book. I prefer "romantica" (good word, by the by) because it's all encompassing. You've got your romance, a little humor and some great sex. Good stuff.

message 7: by MK (Food actvist) (last edited Aug 01, 2009 07:49AM) (new)

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) Jessica: If you like romantica I recommend Ellora's Cave www.ellorascave.com. They coined the phrase and totally know what it means, romantica I mean. Hehe. I can read one of their books in a day. I mean they aren't really that long but the stories are great, the sex is steamy, and the characters are *sigh*. Yeah. I bought $40 (about 15 books) when they had their 80% off sale. They write the best Romantica.

On another romantica note I also find that m/m romance is so emotional that when I need a good dose of good man lovin' I turn to my m/m romances =D.

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 82 comments Kenjii wrote: "Jessica: If you like romantica I recommend Ellora's Cave www.ellorascave.com. They coined the phrase and totally know what it means, romantica I mean. Hehe. I can read one of their books in a day. ..."

Thank you for the recommendation! I will definitely have to look into it! :)

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Now, all that said, can someone recommend a good start to "romantica"? A series, an author, a book?

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 653 comments In a recent review, I recommended Jane and the Sneaky Dom as a great erotic romance starter book. It is the first in an untitled two book series by Hannah Murray and both are published by Ellora's Cave. I haven't read the second book, The Devil & Ms. Johnson, yet, but I loved Jane and the Sneaky Dom. It's extremely hot and sexy with a little kink, but it has a lighter tone overall than other erotic romances I've read. In my opinion, it would be a good transition book for anyone wanting to try "romantica" to get a taste of what it's like without the full force of the kinkiness and intensity of many erotic romances.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Awesome, thank you for the post!

message 12: by MK (Food actvist) (last edited Aug 04, 2009 08:05AM) (new)

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) Oh wow! Can I remember the first book that I read that wasn't a home and family or paranormal or suspense romance. But at the same time DID NOT mind the sex being so blatantly described? Romantica seems to have the right balance. I like Megan Hart but she is not light and sweet. I don't know what to say other than I do like how she writes.

It does depend on the theme, genre and author but for the most part I have liked Romantica by authors Sasha White,Lora Leigh, Evangeline Anderson, and J L Langley to name a few.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I love Lora Leigh, though I consider some of her stories erotica. Which did you consider Romantica? The SEALs and EliteOPs?

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) I have only read a handful of her books. Nauti Boys Books 1-3, a PNR, and Loving Lies. I haven't read the SEALs yet though. I have some of the Breeds series.

Stephanie Kenjii-I agree Megan Hart is very good, but she is not a 'warm & fuzzy' writer.

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) Stephanie: I have so far read 2 Megan Hart books about 6 months + apart b/c the emotion is so dense. Her characters/world are richly detailed (to a fault sometimes). She is one author I love to read but would not recommend back to back or as a first time Romantica read.From what I have read she is in a league of her own as far as writing style.

Chasidy I for one prefer romantica simply because I enjoy the whole romantic aspect in it. Especially when it's shown throgh them having sex. Yes the sex may be a bit 'yowza' but at the same time you know that the people involved love eachother immensly. :)

Adrienne | 286 comments I enjoy reading Romantica or Erotic Romance too. I like Samhain Press books....some of their authors write a really good steamy story!

Adrienne | 286 comments Ok I've just looked at the Megan Hart page on here...can anyone recommend the best book to start with?

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Adrienne wrote: "Ok I've just looked at the Megan Hart page on here...can anyone recommend the best book to start with?"

I looked and couldn't find the Megan Hart page. I'll have to look again when I have more time.

Adrienne | 286 comments Hi UM, if you type her name in the top right hand box, when her list of books comes up click on her name then her page should come up with a link to her web site/blog. All of books seem to be very well written but I'm not sure whether or not I can cope with heavy emotional stuff.. I tend to shy away from that type of story...I don't know why tho'.

message 22: by MK (Food actvist) (last edited Aug 09, 2009 06:30PM) (new)

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) Adrienne: You said it just right. She writes like no other erotic romance author. Her characters tend to seem very real [flawed, emotional, the sexual encounters are humanized instead of romanticized). Her books are long (300 or 400 plus). She writes in first person. I like how her character sees good and bad in the object off their desire BEFORE they fall for them. Most times in romance its not until after the break-up. Seeing a bare foot and thinking naughty thoughts. What? LOL.

I have read [book:Tempted|1861535] and Stranger. Her writing is above most any writer I have read but her novels are emotionally heavy and not to be considered fluffy romance.

Adrienne | 286 comments I've put a couple of Megan Hart books on my TBR as I think I can get past my issues with the emotional stuff ....it seems silly to miss out on some great reading because of them.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I bought that one called Deeper by Megan Hart. I'm looking forward to reading it.

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) I just got Dirty WishListed to me. Yay! I probably won't read it for about 6 months! LOL. I really have to space out Megan Hart's books. But once I get into them I love 'em.

Adrienne | 286 comments Deeper is the one I fancied after reading a excerpt on her blog/web...but I'm starting with Taking Care of Business just to give me a feeler so to speak.....

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Adrienne wrote: "Deeper is the one I fancied after reading a excerpt on her blog/web...but I'm starting with Taking Care of Business just to give me a feeler so to speak....."

I hope it's not a series and I got the wrong book first. That would suck... so to speak ;)

Stephanie I read Dirty first then almost the next day I read Tempted, and I never looked back. She is one of the only writers that I can take in first person. Kenjii is right though she is not a fluffy romance writer, she is real. I just finished Deeper. It made me cry.

message 29: by Adrienne (last edited Aug 20, 2009 02:07PM) (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments I've just collected Taking Care of Business from the library...chosen as a taster before I hit the harder emotional stuff. I'm going to add Deeper to my purchases list tho' as it's one I really want to read.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Stephanie wrote: "I read Dirty first then almost the next day I read Tempted, and I never looked back. She is one of the only writers that I can take in first person. Kenjii is right tho..."

Is this a series to be read in order? I have Deeper but haven't started it yet.

Adrienne | 286 comments I've just checked on the book blurbs (and added a book as you do:) )and you know I don't think they are....I get the impression they're stand alones, the stories just don't seem connected in any way.

Heather Brewster | 21 comments Adrienne wrote: "I've just collected Taking Care of Business from the library...chosen as a taster before I hit the harder emotional stuff. I'm going to add Deeper to my purchases list tho' as it's o..."

So all these books are by Megan right? I'm looking for something new to read, just finished the breeds series all 19 of them. So from what you guys are saying these books must be hot..

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) Oh Heather...hehe...Megan Hart writes first person and is emotionally raw. So the sex isn't romanticized. If the character has just been in a fight and has make-up sex you'll get a commentary about it. Its something =D.

The characters aren't dosed with that 'love at first sight' feeling. So the overall feel of the relationships comes together totally different than regular romance novels.

Heather Brewster | 21 comments Kenjii wrote: "Oh Heather...hehe...Megan Hart writes first person and is emotionally raw. So the sex isn't romanticized. If the character has just been in a fight and has make-up sex you'll get a commentary about..."

so I read tempted, I liked it. It had a plot and thats what I liked.Grant that you are right about the non romanticizing sex, but it was real feeling raw and real feeling. And I loved the so/so happily ever after effected at the end with this story line.

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) Well good! I hope that you'll read and enjoy another Megan Hart erotic novel. A friend of mine said to read something light and fluffy after Tempted [before I read it:] and I see why.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I started reading Deeper by Megan Hart and had to put it down. I didn't care for it. I'll pick it back up at another time and give it a shot.

Heather Brewster | 21 comments Yeah it was deep! I told the hubby after I read it he'd better never ask, way to many emotions! I'm reading Stranger from her now,so far so good this one is kindof funny. It is a change from the other.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Thanks, Heather. Glad to know it wasn't just me. I will try it again in a week or so.

Heather Brewster | 21 comments Yeah, you have to be able to handle some intense sexually situations for reading her books.But I'm also reading three books right now so its easy for me to break away for a little to get a grip.

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I just finished Lorelei James' Long Hard Ride (Rough Riders, #1) by Lorelei James and that was sexually intense. How does Megan Hart compare? Are you familiar with James'writing?

Heather Brewster | 21 comments No I haven't read any yet,im going to have to start thou,that looks kindof interesting,,hmmm

Adrienne | 286 comments Uniquely Moi wrote: "I started reading Deeper by Megan Hart and had to put it down. I didn't care for it. I'll pick it back up at another time and give it a shot."

Oh Moi the intrigue surrounding this book,infact everyhting written by MH LOL. there's so much said about her books but no-one ever gives anything away,so I'm in the dark about all of them. So, why couldn't you get into it? if there's something specific that you think I need,need need to know send me a PM:)

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I don't know why, honestly. I've been reading Marliss Melton's series and sometimes it's hard for me to switch authors and go from one fairly intense series to another. I will try it again and let you know.

Adrienne | 286 comments Thanks Moi, understand completely, same happens to me:)

Adrienne | 286 comments Update from my last post, I've now read a couple of megan Harts Novels (Deeper Dirty and Broken plus the two writen with Lauren Dane)and some of her short stories and can say hand on heart that I'm a big fan.I just love the intnse emotional journey she takes you on.

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) Oh! That is great Adrienne. Sometimes [because of the cover title 'an erotic novel':] people are disappointed with Megan Hart. I mean she has her own style. It's not quite erotica or erotic romance. But I like it!

Adrienne | 286 comments I could rattle on about her books for ages, one of the many things I enjoy about her books is they're written in the first person, something I haven't come across much.

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) I love her books too. Very "real" feeling. Plus they're hot :)

Adrienne | 286 comments Kenjii I agree with you about her not fitting into either catagory. I don't know of any other author who writes with the same degree of emotional and sexual intensity which is something I really enjoy, you know the way the two are intertwined with each other even when you think they're not. I love the way she takes something simple and it becomes passionate and full of emotion, and just by the way she phases something she introduce and element of doubt about a situation, I'm thinking here of Layover where you suddenly think OMG this isn't going to happen as you think it will, just for one small moment there's an element of doubt, but then it's all ok. And I agree with you Cindi about her books feeling real this maybe because she writes in the first person but I also think it's b/c she has her finger on the pulse when it comes to what makes people tick, and how people interact with each other. Her writing for me is very clear and free from unnecessary flourishes yet it also full and rich and deep...just wonderful!

B/c her writing is sooo deliciously intense it's always difficult choosing my *next book to read*, for some reason I end up feeling let down. The more racy books don't tend to live up to things on the story front, whilst the opposite is also true. So at the moment having just finshed with Broken I'm on a real reading downer:(

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva I still haven't read Deeper. My daughter made a list of all the books I own and as I went through it, I realized that there are many series I need to finish up.

If I read Deeper first, am I reading it out of order?

« previous 1 3