Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Similar to Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress Series

Comments (showing 1-50 of 56) (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Desiree (last edited Jul 25, 2009 10:36AM) (new)

Desiree | 17 comments I just finished Jeaniene Frost's 3rd book, frantically awaiting her 4th one that comes out very soon. Since she only releases books 7-8 months apart and I go thru them like crazy, Im looking for a urban fantasy or paranormal ROMANCE series with a good PLOT as similar as possible to the Night Huntress series. Any suggestions?

I've already read Patricia Briggs, Mercy Thompson series (seems many recommend this) But, although I enjoyed it's material, it was nothing compared to the Night Huntress series and doesnt hold up to my romance expectations. I dont think there even was a kiss in there? :)

Im looking possibly first person, lots of action, love, and some humor if possible. I enjoy the steaminess of Jeaniene Frost's series, but I don't need it in every page, just once in a while...but a good romance and a plot is a must :) *Also, hate to be picky but some sort of chase? I read into a few suggestions from another thread and there was no chase, rather the first pages practically had them in bed already-threw me off.

Thanks for any suggestions!

message 2: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Hi Desiree, well a couple of my fav's are The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward and the Riley Jensen Guardian Series by Keri Arthur, oh and Anita Blake Vampire Hunter by Laurell K Hamilton, the first one is a bit slow but definitely picks up after that.... There is always Souther Vampire Series/Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris... just to name a few ;)

message 3: by Elena (last edited Jul 23, 2009 04:30PM) (new)

Elena Last month we read A Rush of Wings, it is the first of The Maker's Song series, did you read it? I think you will like if you liked the Night Huntress serie.

message 4: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 17 comments Desiree wrote: "I just finished Jeaniene Frost's 3rd book, frantically awaiting her 4th one that comes out very soon. Since she only releases books 7-8 months apart and I go thru them like crazy, Im looking for a ..."

Thanks, Im on book 5 of Sookie Sackhouse-its hit and miss with me. Some books were great, then some so-so. I have Black Dagger on my TBR pile, so I will definately give that a try! Thanks

message 5: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 17 comments Elena wrote: "Last month we read A Rush of Wings, it is the first of The Maker's Song series, did you read it? I think you will like if you liked the Night Huntress serie."

I just joined this group today, so I haven't had a chance to look through the group's monthly reads. I will look it up, thank you!

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) Desiree, welcome to the group! Do you think I should create a topic for introducing yourself when you join the group? I've been toying with the idea for awhile now...

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 123 comments Desiree, here are a couple of series you might like. Lilith Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series, Caitlin Kitteredge's Nocturn City series ( Night Life and Pure Blood), and Ilona Andrews Magic series (Magic Bites and Magic Burns.

message 8: by Desiree (last edited Jul 23, 2009 08:26PM) (new)

Desiree | 17 comments Theresa wrote: "Desiree, welcome to the group! Do you think I should create a topic for introducing yourself when you join the group? I've been toying with the idea for awhile now..."

Thanks Theresa! New members discussion sounds like a great idea and give a little line or two about what types of books we enjoy,etc. so it saves us the trouble of having to look up each members profile as well :)

message 9: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 179 comments Desiree, welcome! I adore the Cassie Palmer series by Karen Chance, as well as her second series that's set in the same universe but with a different lead (Dorina Basarab).

The first book of the Cassie series starts slow. You have to bear with it for about 50 pages. But after that, there's non-stop action, an interesting universe, some satisfying steamy scenes, and a big helping of humor. It's really got it all as far as I'm concerned. I actually like it better than Cat and Bones if I had to choose. ::gasp::

A Rush of Wings is awesome too, but humor definitely takes a backseat to tortured hero.

On the PNR side, I love the Dark Hunters by Kenyon. Great universe, revolving around Greek mythology. Even though it's PNR, her world-building is so consistent that it's got very strong UF elements. She never sacrifices her greater story for the sake of the book's Happy Ever After (HEA). Definitely fills the romance, action, and humor requirements.

Good luck! Troll around here for a while and I'm sure you'll stumble across lots of new reads!

message 10: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (hayleyannking) | 10 comments The Dante Valentine series is an excellent choice- I love Japhrimel. You might want to consider The Nightwalkers series by Jacquelyn Frank. It's classed as romance, but I would have counted it as fantasy. Demons, vampires, magical powers, psychotic enemies- it's got everything. :)

message 11: by Dejsha (new)

Dejsha | 46 comments I really love the Allie Beckstrom Series from Devon Monk, The Negotiator Series from CE Murphy and The Kitty Norville Sereies by Carrie Vaughn.

Not all steamy, but nice reads.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments If you're in it primarily for the romance and haven't already done so, try the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

message 13: by Diana (new)

Diana (MissDi) | 19 comments I'd probably second just about any of the suggestions here - especially Ilona Andrews and Karen Chance.

You may also want to try Karen Marie Moning's "Fever" series, Angela Knight's Mageverse series and Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark.

message 14: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 17 comments Susan wrote: "Hi Desiree, well a couple of my fav's are The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward and the Riley Jensen Guardian Series by Keri Arthur, oh and Anita Blake Vampire Hunter by Laurell K Hamilton..."

Since this is a paranormal series, new characters focused in each book, can I read them out of order? My library only has a few in, and books like the 1st have a long waiting line :) Which one would you say is your favorite?

message 15: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) My favorites are Lover Eternal (book # 2) and Lover Awakened (book # 3).

I would recommend reading them in order because of the secondary plots that track through each of the books.

message 16: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 17 comments Will do, thank u.

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments Rhage's story has by far been my favorite. Vishous's book has been my least favorite so far. Definately read in order.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jeniferj) | 56 comments Seems I might be in the minority, but I'm not sure any of the books suggested, that I've read, really capture the feel of the Cat/Bones relationship. While good books, I didn't find them similar at all. Just warning ya as I don't want you to be disappointed. Take each book as it's own entity and don't expect the same kind of brilliance from anyone else! :)

That said, the Magic in the Bone/Blood series is building a good relationship between the protagonists. It's a slower build than Cat/Bones, but it's pretty intense. I just read a book called Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson that promises to have a good relationship between the protagonists, but there is only one book so far. I also just finished Blue Diablo, and the relationship between those characters is complicated but very intense.

The good news is that Destined comes out tomorrow. WooHoo!

message 19: by Desiree (last edited Jul 27, 2009 02:59PM) (new)

Desiree | 17 comments Jennifer wrote: "Seems I might be in the minority, but I'm not sure any of the books suggested, that I've read, really capture the feel of the Cat/Bones relationship. While good books, I didn't find them similar a..."

Thanks Jennifer. I took the recommendations and researched the heck out of them before adding a few to my holds at the library :) BDB seems to be the only series that Im pretty sure I'll enjoy, but as for similarities between Cat & Bones, none really have captured exactly what Im looking for thus far. I know there are books out there that are brilliant and I just may not find it again in another series, but I hope for just a few similarities ;)

Im so excited for Destined! However, I'm headed for a week long vacation on the beach and it's a perfect opportunity for me to read and flyyy right through books, so I wanted to make sure I had a nice stack of them to keep me entertained.

Thanks again for your suggestions and opinion(s)!

message 20: by formlit (new)

formlit  | 19 comments Hmm I would say it would be impossible to find the same sort of relationship in another book. :) If it was the same, it wouldn't be a different story after all.

Having said that, Nalini Singh's Psy series is good, so is Sherrilyn Kenyon's dark hunter books.

message 21: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 1 comments The Jaz Parks Series by Jennifer Rardin will capture your intrest in the same way that the Night Huntress series does. It is action packed and the main characters have a similar relationship to Cat and Bones.

message 22: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 17 comments Melinda wrote: "The Jaz Parks Series by Jennifer Rardin will capture your intrest in the same way that the Night Huntress series does. It is action packed and the main characters have a similar relationship to Cat..."

Thanks Melinda, I'll look into it! :)

message 23: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Desiree wrote: "Susan wrote: "Hi Desiree, well a couple of my fav's are The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward and the Riley Jensen Guardian Series by Keri Arthur, oh and Anita Blake Vampire Hunter by Laur..."

as you've already heard from others, since I'm slow to respond ;) Def read in order!:) My fav so far was Lover Revealed, Butch and V are my fav brothers so far!

message 24: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) Melinda wrote: "The Jaz Parks Series by Jennifer Rardin will capture your intrest in the same way that the Night Huntress series does. It is action packed and the main characters have a similar relationship to Cat..."

I have the first one in this series somewhere in The Pile. Keep meaning to dig it out. I've read mixed opinions on it.

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Melodie - I LOVE how you called it "The Pile". That's great!

message 26: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot I love the Jaz Parks books. Great reads!

message 27: by jD (new)

jD (jD_4EverBooked) | 67 comments Karen Chance's series on the damphir Dori. It reminds me of Cat and Bones, especially the second book. There are others but that series for certain has the Night Huntress Concept of damphir and hot, powerful vamp hook-up with loads of laughs.

message 28: by Ace (new)

Ace | 7 comments Faith Hunter's Skinwalker series!!! Wowee!!!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I didnt see anyone reccomend the Aregeneau Series by lynsay Sands. A wonderful series I event went out and bought! Love, humor, romance, chases, thrills. You name it, these books have them. The nice thing is that they are easy to read out of order because each new book has a new character it highlights. But they also contain characters from other books so you get to know everyone in the family. You;ll find your favorite character and be very excited to read "their" book!

message 30: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) The closest ones I've read are the Karen Chance books.

message 31: by Elena (last edited Jul 18, 2010 11:33AM) (new)

Elena I have found a great series: Midnight Breed. Kiss of Midnight Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian is the first book.

message 32: by jD (new)

jD (jD_4EverBooked) | 67 comments Theresa wrote: "Desiree, welcome to the group! Do you think I should create a topic for introducing yourself when you join the group? I've been toying with the idea for awhile now..."

I joined recently as well and think it would be good to have an introduction question or two. It should have a format.

message 33: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) jD wrote: "I joined recently as well and think it would be good to have an introduction question or two. It should have a format..."

We've have a topic already set-up for introducing yourself to the group if you are new. Here you go:

Welcome to the Group! Introduce yourself...

message 34: by Mich (new)

Mich Ty (mich_ty) | 2 comments Hi I'm new here and I stumbled upon this site purely by chance. I typed in Jeaniene Frost and Keri Arthur in google. Haha.

I've gone over the recommendations in this thread and I'm familiar with some of them. Keri Arthur Riley Jensen Series is a cool one. She kicks ass. There's Lara Adrian the Midnight Breed Series; it's a new pair every book, by the way.
Of course there's also Sherrilyn Kenyon's series-- long long long series where the characters are tied-up. You won't get bored here. She just signed a contract for a Nick Series (a character from Dark Hunter Series).

There's also Kelley Armstrong with her Women of the Otherworld Series.

I used to love Laurel K. Hamilton's Anita Blake. I didn't start with the first book, fortunately for me, because if I did I don't think I'd end up reading the series at all. The first book wasn't good, or at least compared to the rest of the series it's... very different. I think I started with the 8th or 10th book. Haha.

And if I'm not mistaken there's JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood. It's so-so for me since I can't remember too much details from it, but I have a friend who loves the series so much.

message 35: by Tiphaine (new)

Tiphaine | 60 comments There is another serie by Jeaniene Frost that takes place in the same world starting with First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost You probably already read it but I thought I would mention it anyway just in case!

message 36: by Mich (new)

Mich Ty (mich_ty) | 2 comments Hi, yes thanks for mentioning it. I've already read it. I really appreciate it since I read electronic copies of the books and sometimes I forget to update my library what with so many authors. :D So thanks.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Ive read First Drop of Crimson as well and it was WAY better than her others. Im on hold at the library for the second in that series.

message 38: by Tiphaine (new)

Tiphaine | 60 comments I see you have Soulless on your to-be-read list, I think you sould give it a try, it's very different from the Night Huntress but it's written first person, you have lots of action, some humor and I loved the feel of the relationship between the main characters, it is pretty intense to me!

message 39: by Shelley (new)

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews Keri Arthur's Riley Jensen series has ended, but, if you want to start from the beginning and go forward, that will work. This series falls within the paranormal romance genre, since it has alot of sex, and sexual innuendos involved.

Frost's Eternal Kiss of Darkness, was alot better than First Drop of Crimson, and it will hold you over until book 5 This Side of the Grave, releases in February 2011. There's also a short story in Death's Excellent Vacation, One for the Money (Cat and Bones) that is really good.

Laurel K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series from the beginning is highly recommended. The last several books have been all about BDSM, so, it's your choice if you're into this kind of stuff.

Karen Chance's Cassandra Palmer, and Dorina Basarab are both good reads.

Richelle Mead's Georgina Kincaid is also in line with the Cat and Bones series.

Kim Harrison - The Hollows series - Rachel Morgan has a new release coming next February 2011.

Kresley Cole's - Immortals after Dark is also a another alternative.

I've got plenty of authors to recommend if anyone else is interested. :O)

message 40: by Caramelle (new)

Caramelle | 8 comments I usually recommend the following:

Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series
(includes the Were-Hunter and Dream-Hunter series. Relates to her YA 'Chronicles of Nick' series)
Like mentioned above, it revolves around greek mythology and is my favorite series.
Another series she's writing is 'The League' series which is more sci-fi romance than PNR.
Next book in the series comes out on Sept 7: No Mercy

Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires series
Involves vampires and a strong female character very much like Cat in NH. There's not as much romance - but there's still some romance - in the series as NH, but there's a lot of teasing and flirting.

As mentioned in the previous post, the Night Huntress World books, #1 First Drop of Crimson and #2 Eternal Kiss of Darkness are great books to read after catching up with the NH books. Each book focuses on a supporting character from the NH books. Book 1 is about Spade and Book 2 is about Mencheres. I also second that the second book was better than the first.

Karen Marie Moning's Fever and Highlander series
Fever is similar to Chicagoland where it involves a strong female character and not as much romance.
Highlander series are all HEA books focusing on a couple per book. Has some relation to the Fever series, almost like a prequel...but not.

J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series.
Vampires. HEA. Each book focuses on a Brother. Hot. It starts of pretty well. I lost interest in the main characters in books 4 & 5 and was more interested in the side story, but it picked up again in books 6 & 7. Fave book in the series: book 2 and 7.

Larissa Ione's Demonica series.
A lot of paranormal/supernatural beings. HEA. Hot.
Latest book (#4) was just released a couple days ago: Sin Undone

----
Other books that I've been recommended - based on my top 5 list (Kenyon, Neill, Frost, Moning & Clare(YA)/Ward) - but not have read yet:
Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld
Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld
Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake - However, as mentioned, the last few books have been controversial due to the intensive amount of sex. Some may even categorize it as erotica.

message 41: by Jacini (new)

Jacini (jlbennett) | 4 comments Hello, all! I read all of the Night Huntress books as well as the first book in the Night Huntress World series. I'm awaiting the new book in the series. Love this series! I've also read the Black Dagger Brotherhood which was another really good series. I prefer to stick to the same characters like Night Huntress. I also enjoyed the teen fiction books like House of Night and the Morganville Vampires, but they aren't steamy and detailed like Jeaniene Frost's books are. I'm getting ready to start the Riley Jansen series but any other recommendations for books like Night Huntress would be great. I love vampire books!

message 42: by jD (new)

jD (jD_4EverBooked) | 67 comments Jacini wrote: "Hello, all! I read all of the Night Huntress books as well as the first book in the Night Huntress World series. I'm awaiting the new book in the series. Love this series! I've also read the Bl..."

Do you have an e-reader? I have come across some good ones that are only in ebook format. You can read those on a computer too, I guess but am not sure. As for an immediate recommendation -- First Grave On The Right. I just finished it and the heroine is so like Cat they could be sisters. It's not vamps but she is a Grim Reaper.

message 43: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments I put First Grave on the Right on hold. I like the heroine, she's kinda funny, but I wasn't that into it. I hope to pick it up again soon, so I can finish it, but I think if I read further I might like it more. I just got caught in other books.

message 44: by jD (new)

jD (jD_4EverBooked) | 67 comments @ Mariya -- I almost put it down too. It was well past 100 pages when I embraced it. I did not like the internal volice of the Jaz Parks character and it felt too much like that. I love Cat on the other hand and her internal dialog. It ended up being more like Cat than Jaz who I really really did not like.

message 45: by Jacini (new)

Jacini (jlbennett) | 4 comments Jd, I don't have an e-reader but I've found a lot of books on onread.com. Will look into the book u recommended as soon as I finish the series I just started.

message 46: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy (padawan2003) | 4 comments Hi All,

I Love the Night Huntress Series(Cat & Bones) and Night Huntress World Series (NHW).. I cant wait for the Vlad Books and Next book Cat & Bones.. I just Love the way Jeaniene Frost Writes. The way she writes the Love Scenes, jus give me Shivers and GooseBumps.

Im hoping to Research thru all the suggestions Here for another Great Vampire Romance Action Series that keeps the Same main Characters/Couple and has kind of the same Flow and Romantic Writing Style of Cat & Bones or NHW Series. I Just Love Vampire Romances.

If you happen to know a really good Vampire Romance Action Series or Paranormal, Please dont Hesitate to tell me.. Any Suggestions Would GREATLY be Appreciated
Thanks..

P.S. I tried to read the Riley Jensen Series and quit Halfway thru the 5th book. I just didnt like how it was written and all the partners Riley had. and I have read the Twilight Series( that was the First Vampire series Id ever Read).

message 47: by Jacini (new)

Jacini (jlbennett) | 4 comments Chrissy wrote: "Hi All,

I Love the Night Huntress Series(Cat & Bones) and Night Huntress World Series (NHW).. I cant wait for the Vlad Books and Next book Cat & Bones.. I just Love the way Jeaniene Frost Writes..."

Hi, Chrissy. I would finish the series Riley Jensen series. You get mad at the author at times but it all evens out in the end. I read them all and was sad to see it come to an end. I like the Anita Blake series, but if you don't like how many partners she had, you really won't like Anita. I read a few of the Midnight Breed series, but I prefer books that are centered around one character. I also read the Dark Days series by Jocelynn Drake. There are only 2 sex scenes in the entire series but it's great action and the heroine is bada**.

message 48: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy (padawan2003) | 4 comments Jacini wrote: "Chrissy wrote: "Hi All,

I Love the Night Huntress Series(Cat & Bones) and Night Huntress World Series (NHW).. I cant wait for the Vlad Books and Next book Cat & Bones.. I just Love the way Jeanien..."

Thank you.. :)

message 49: by Liza (new)

Liza Chen | 1 comments Hey, I'm new here, but I read the comment about Night Huntress Series!!! Did you guys know that Jeaniene is doing a book about Vlad?!!!! I am soooo excited!!!!

Although,It's too sad that you'll have to wait... I don't remember how long but I think that it'll be at least till next year!!!!

I'm happy that the female character is a witch (If i remember correctly)!!!! I am soooo excited!!!!!
wait... i already said that.... oh.. my bad!!!

message 50: by Ralph (new)

Ralph Chavers | 4 comments Read Elanora Darken! It's the first in a series of novels (The Luna Mageum)in which witches, good, and not so good, grow up. Although, one of the most powerful, and most beautiful of them all has decided to stay a child, for over 300 years now.
It is also the first in the series in which witches, warlocks, wraiths, and vampires, one and all, lose their religion.

"Bump! I heard all through the night!
Bump! All the next morning!
Bump! Bump! Bump, the voices wail!
Go kill! Go kill! No warning!"
~Jean Pierre, Ur-Wraith, Elanora Darken~

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Rush of Wings (other topics)
Lover Awakened (other topics)
Lover Eternal (other topics)
Kiss of Midnight (other topics)