The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

955 views
FALL CHALLENGE 2009 > FALL CHALLENGE 2009 QUESTIONS

Comments (showing 701-750 of 922) (922 new)    post a comment »

message 701: by Heather (new)

Heather | 277 comments Ok then....can I watch a couple of episodes of "Flashforward" as my science show? If not, I'll find another one!

Heather in KS


message 702: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 661 comments Cait wrote: "Cynthia, would Tomcat in Love work for the cat task? Thanks!"

Re-posting my question on this page. :o)




message 703: by El (new)

El Heather wrote: "Ok then....can I watch a couple of episodes of "Flashforward" as my science show? If not, I'll find another one!

Heather in KS"


Heather, what is "Flashforward"? Is it a show about science (as in a documentary), or is it a science fiction show?


message 704: by Heather (new)

Heather | 277 comments Flashforward is a new series on ABC starting Thursday. It's a science-fiction show that is supposed to give us Lost watchers something to do while we wait! :) Here's the plot synopsis from Wikipedia:

Plot
A mysterious global event causes everyone on the planet to simultaneously experience, for two minutes and seventeen seconds, his or her life six months in the future. When it is over, many are dead in accidents involving vehicles, aircraft, and any other device needing human control. Everyone who survived is left wondering if what they saw will actually happen.

A Los Angeles FBI agent named Mark Benford (Joseph Fiennes) tries to figure out what exactly happened and why it happened. Along with his team, he creates a database of people's flash forwards from around the world called the Mosaic Collective (for which a website has been launched). Apart from the various catastrophic visions, people also see themselves relapsing into various former vices, such as Benford seeing himself drinking again, and his wife Olivia has a vision of herself with another man.[11:]





message 705: by El (new)

El Heather wrote: "Flashforward is a new series on ABC starting Thursday. It's a science-fiction show that is supposed to give us Lost watchers something to do while we wait! :) Here's the plot synopsis from Wikip..."

Sounds interesting! :)

But for that particular task, if you read a science fiction novel (in your case you're reading The Host), then the science show must be a documentary or a non-fictional account about something related to science. If you chose to read a science book (non-fiction), then you could watch "Flashforward" or a science fiction TV shows or movie.


message 706: by Heather (new)

Heather | 277 comments Thanks, that's what I figured, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway! :) So I could watch something on the Discovery Channel that was scientific and that would work? Thanks!

Heather in KS


message 707: by El (new)

El Heather wrote: "Thanks, that's what I figured, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway! :) So I could watch something on the Discovery Channel that was scientific and that would work? Thanks!

Heather in KS"



Yes, Discovery Channel shows would work, as long as it's a program about something scientific. :)



message 708: by Carrie ♠ (new)

Carrie ♠ (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 192 comments El wrote: "Heather wrote: "Thanks, that's what I figured, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway! :) So I could watch something on the Discovery Channel that was scientific and that would work? Thanks..."

Mythbusters is a pretty fun and educational show and is on Discovery. Though it might not always be "science" enough. But I thought I would ask since this is related so I know when I get to this task myself--so, would Mythbusters be an acceptable science TV show (depending on what they are showing)?


message 709: by Sara (last edited Sep 22, 2009 02:18PM) (new)

Sara (MonkeyGirlsMama) Kari ♪ wrote: "El wrote: "Heather wrote: "Thanks, that's what I figured, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway! :) So I could watch something on the Discovery Channel that was scientific and that would wo..."

I am pretty sure that Cynthia approved watching 2 episodes of Mythbusters on this thread many many posts ago.


message 710: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Cait wrote: "Cait wrote: "Cynthia, would Tomcat in Love work for the cat task? Thanks!"

Re-posting my question on this page. :o)

"
That's fine.

And as an average film is about 2 hrs as long as you watch at least 2 hrs worth of a scientific tv program (such as mythbusters or other discovery program) you can count it.




message 711: by Carrie ♠ (new)

Carrie ♠ (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 192 comments Cynthia wrote: "Cait wrote: "Cait wrote: "Cynthia, would Tomcat in Love work for the cat task? Thanks!"

Re-posting my question on this page. :o)

"That's fine.

And as an average film is about 2 hr..."


Oh it's very easy for me to watch the Mythbuster marathons on Sunday afternoons sometimes. Now I just need to figure out what Sci-Fi book for a tbr. Thanks!




message 712: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Cynthia, I have a question about the second option for Task 15.6 - Creative Minds (The Arts) - (Become A Member Of The Drama Club - Read A Play And See A Production Of It Live Or On Film.)

Does the play need to be 100 pages? I was thinking of reading As You Like It... (On here, it looks really long!) The thing is, my library doesn't have a stand-alone copy of the play, but I can get it in a volume of the Complete Works of Shakespeare, in which it's REALLY condensed (tiny font, 2 columns per page) onto 30 pages... I checked with an online version, and it's the full play. Would that be okay?


message 713: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Sara - I was told the play would have to be 100 pages. I did read Much Ado About Nothing which fit the requirements then watched the Kenneth B's MAAN film. I was VERY happy to have done this. It's been forever since I last read the play.

I would also recommend The Taming of the Shrew or Twelfth Night.


message 714: by Sara ♥ (last edited Sep 23, 2009 01:31PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I've read and seen Twelfth Night (plus, I've seen She's the Man). I haven't read Much Ado About Nothing, but I LOVE the Kenneth Branagh version! I bet The Taming of the Shrew would be fun...

That's the thing though.... MOST versions of As You Like It have over 100 pages, I just can't get my hands on one of those with much ease...

It looks like my library ordered a copy of a stand-alone version, but it's still in cataloging... As You Like It We'll see if I can get it before the challenge is over...


message 715: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 185 comments Would Spook by Mary Roach count for the science task (science portion--not science fiction)


message 716: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Elizabeth (NC) wrote: "Would Spook by Mary Roach count for the science task (science portion--not science fiction)"That's fine.




message 717: by Carrie ♠ (new)

Carrie ♠ (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 192 comments Cynthia, I am also wondering about the drama/play task and the 100 pages. I had been considering 12 Angry Men. I'm not sure how many pages the library copy has but I did a quick search on Amazon and found one that was 96 pages (Penguin Classic). However, the editions are definitely different. The library one is 1955 (no real information) while the Penguin is showing 2006. Just trying to see if I need to pick a different play, say like a Shakespeare one?


message 718: by Jan (the Gryphon) (new)

Jan (the Gryphon) (yogryphongmailcom) | 228 comments Would The Secret Life of Bees work for Coming of Age task 5.9?


message 719: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 661 comments Elizabeth (NC) wrote: "Would Spook by Mary Roach count for the science task (science portion--not science fiction)"

That's what I'm reading too! Just picked it up from the library today.




message 720: by Sandra (last edited Sep 24, 2009 09:31AM) (new)

Sandra (Sandra72) | 598 comments Question about the coming of age book...
Would "The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants" and/or "The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole" work for this task?


message 721: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments I was wondering if, for the noun task, The Lost Symbol would work. Would a symbol be a thing, since, in order for it to be lost, doesn't it have to be a thing?


message 722: by Teresa in Ohio (new)

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Kathryn wrote: "I was wondering if, for the noun task, The Lost Symbol would work. Would a symbol be a thing, since, in order for it to be lost, doesn't it have to be a thing?"

dictionary.com states

sym⋅bol  /ˈsɪmbəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sim-buhl:] Show IPA noun, verb, -boled, -bol⋅ing or (especially British) -bolled, -bol⋅ling.
Use symbol in a Sentence
See web results for symbol
See images of symbol
–noun 1. something used for or regarded as representing something else; a material object representing something, often something immaterial; emblem, token, or sign.
2. a letter, figure, or other character or mark or a combination of letters or the like used to designate something: the algebraic symbol x; the chemical symbol Au.
3. a word, phrase, image, or the like having a complex of associated meanings and perceived as having inherent value separable from that which is symbolized, as being part of that which is symbolized, and as performing its normal function of standing for or representing that which is symbolized: usually conceived as deriving its meaning chiefly from the structure in which it appears, and generally distinguished from a sign.





message 723: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments (Was that a yes or no on my weird version of As You Like It?)


message 724: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments Teresa in Ohio wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I was wondering if, for the noun task, The Lost Symbol would work. Would a symbol be a thing, since, in order for it to be lost, doesn't it have to be a thing?"

di..."


Thank you so much for clearing that up for me!!!


message 725: by Teresa in Ohio (new)

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Kathryn wrote: "Teresa in Ohio wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I was wondering if, for the noun task, The Lost Symbol would work. Would a symbol be a thing, since, in order for it to be lost, doesn't it ha..."

yw : ) There is a thread on this taksk( person place thing) and at times it was funny trying to figure out what some words were, LOL I felt like i was retaking english 101 again




message 726: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments Teresa in Ohio wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Teresa in Ohio wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I was wondering if, for the noun task, The Lost Symbol would work. Would a symbol be a thing, since, in order for it to be los..."

Yeah... I wanted to be a lit major until I realized I would have to take an upper division grammar class... That is why I am an accounting major!


message 727: by Petra (last edited Sep 25, 2009 09:37AM) (new)

Petra Cynthia, I am reading a report for work titled "Safety Assessment of DEHP released from PVC Medical Devices". It's 90 pages + references.
Is it stretching the limits of the Science task to read this report (90 pages) and Chapter 20 of Infusion Nursing (+20 pages; not sure of exact count) as the science portion of this task? I can link to both documents.
It's okay if this is a stretch. Just thought I'd ask since I've got to read it anyways. :D


message 728: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Petra wrote: "Cynthia, I am reading a report for work titled "Safety Assessment of DEHP released from PVC Medical Devices". It's 90 pages + references.
Is it stretching the limits of the Science task to read t..."
Not so much no

Sara ♥ wrote: "(Was that a yes or no on my weird version of As You Like It?)"It's a no on that one

Sandra wrote: "Question about the coming of age book...
Would "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" and/or "The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole" work for this task?"
Both of them are fine

Janice wrote: "Would The Secret Life of Bees work for Coming of Age task 5.9?"I'll take it

Kari ♪ wrote: "Cynthia, I am also wondering about the drama/play task and the 100 pages. I had been considering 12 Angry Men. I'm not sure how many pages the library copy has but I did a quick search on Amazon an..."It needs to be 100 pages - so you could ask one of the librarians to check on that copy or go for another.




message 729: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather 5.2. An Apple (Book) A Day Keeps The Librarians Away - September Is National Apple Month So Let's...
• Read A Book That Has A Picture Of An Apple On The Cover.
OR
• A Book With The Word Apple(s) In The Title.

Would Appleseed qualify for the title?


message 730: by Sara ♥ (last edited Sep 25, 2009 05:05PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Cynthia wrote: "Sara ♥ wrote: "(Was that a yes or no on my weird version of As You Like It?)"It's a no on that one"

But if I find a longer version, it would be okay then?


message 731: by Petra (new)

Petra Cynthia wrote: "Cynthia, I am reading a report for work titled "Safety Assessment of DEHP released from PVC Medical Devices". It's 90 pages + references.
Is it stretching the limits of the Science task to read t..."Not so much no.....


Okay, Cynthia. Thanks.




message 732: by Carrie ♠ (new)

Carrie ♠ (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 192 comments Cynthia, not seeming to have the luck I want on the plays via the public library, I'm going to take a different approach on the task.

For the Learn Your Art History - Read A Book (Fictional Or Non-Fiction) About An Artist Or Art History AND Either Go To A Museum To View Art Or Create Art (Paint/Sculpt/Crafts/Photography Etc.). I'd like to learn more about Ansel Adams. What I do know about him was that he was a famous black & white outdoors/nature photographer, especially prominent with Yosemite. My question is, if I go out to one of the local parks and take pictures, since it's impossible for me to get to Yosemite:
a) how many photos would you like?
b) do they need to be converted to black and white if I do it via digital camera? (least expensive for me to do since I'm unemployed)

I do have a computer program where I can convert into B&W. I can then post the pictures up on Picasso to be viewed.

Any and all feedback welcome. I think this could be a fun task.



message 733: by Sara ♥ (last edited Sep 25, 2009 07:01PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Kari ♪ wrote: "Cynthia, not seeming to have the luck I want on the plays via the public library, I'm going to take a different approach on the task.

For the Learn Your Art History - Read A Book (Fictional Or ..."


Oooh! That would be so fun! I would think you could do it digitally and then turn them black/white (or gray scale, rather)... just keep the originals in color for yourself! I would love to see them!

Have you found a nonfiction book about Ansel Adams? Ansel Adams: An Autobiography would definitely work. I bet it has lots of pictures! :)


message 734: by Carrie ♠ (new)

Carrie ♠ (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 192 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Kari ♪ wrote: "Cynthia, not seeming to have the luck I want on the plays via the public library, I'm going to take a different approach on the task.

For the Learn Your Art History - Read A Book (..."


Kinda what I was thinking...greyscale. I couldn't think of what it was called at the time I wrote that. And the library does have the autobiography as well as biography, Ansel Adams A Biography, which also looked like it would be just as good. The author is the same who worked with him on the autobiography, Mary Street Alinder.


message 735: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Kari ♪ wrote: "Cynthia, not seeming to have the luck I want on the plays via the public library, I'm going to take a different approach on the task.

For the Learn Your Art History - Read A Book (Fictional Or ..."
For the art task you can do any kind of art that you want it doesn't have to match the type in the book - and you can post pictures of what you've done if you want but as long as you report what kind of art you've done it's fine.

Sara ♥ wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Sara ♥ wrote: "(Was that a yes or no on my weird version of As You Like It?)"It's a no on that one"

But if I find a longer version, it would be okay then?"
If you can get your hands on a copy that's at least 100 pages yes.

Greyweather wrote: "5.2. An Apple (Book) A Day Keeps The Librarians Away - September Is National Apple Month So Let's...
• Read A Book That Has A Picture Of An Apple On The Cover.
OR
• A Book With The Word Apple(s) In..."
Yeah that's fine






message 736: by Rach (new)

Rach | 138 comments Hi Cynthia!

For 5.6 (Terrifying Titles - Read A Novel That Has An Adjective In The Title That Relates To Halloween), would it be ok to use "midnight", as long as it is being used as an adjective? I was hoping to use Princess of the Midnight Ball for this task.

Thanks!


message 737: by Kristina Marie (new)

Kristina Marie | 86 comments For 5.4. "Adoption Story" would "The Onts by Dan Greenburg work? It is kind of like A Series of Unfortunate Events but with twins who are trying to be adopted. They go home with the Onts on a trial adoption but escape and head back to the orphanage.

Thanks!




message 738: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Kristina Marie wrote: "For 5.4. "Adoption Story" would "The Onts by Dan Greenburg work? It is kind of like A Series of Unfortunate Events but with twins who are trying to be adopted. They go home with the Onts on a tr..."The children need to have been formally adopted for that task so no

Rachel wrote: "Hi Cynthia!

For 5.6 (Terrifying Titles - Read A Novel That Has An Adjective In The Title That Relates To Halloween), would it be ok to use "midnight", as long as it is being used as an adjective? ..."
No I don't think so




message 739: by Heather (new)

Heather | 277 comments Roseanne...for your task...I am a teacher. Can I use Results Now How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching And Learning for the first part of your task? I have to read it for work and want to be able to count it somewhere!

Heather in KS


message 740: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 976 comments Heather wrote: "Roseanne...for your task...I am a teacher. Can I use Results Now How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching And Learning for the first part of your task? I have to re..."

You can count it for the self-help task. I am sure it would be allowed there.


message 741: by Heather (new)

Heather | 277 comments I thought about that, but I really want to use it in Roseanne's task so I can read the other book about my dream job-I wanna be a rock star! :)


message 742: by Tani (new)

Tani | 109 comments Hi, Cynthia. I'm just wondering if I could use Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson for a coming of age novel. Thanks in advance!


message 743: by [deleted user] (new)

For 25.7 does the word 'THE' count?


message 744: by Greyweather (last edited Sep 28, 2009 10:36PM) (new)

Greyweather Cindy wrote: "I meant to allow A, An and The to count, thinking that the one word titles would be the hardest to find."


message 745: by SusannaW (last edited Sep 29, 2009 04:57AM) (new)

SusannaW (SusannaUK) | 6 comments For the Fortune Teller task, are we talking about a rigid definition of Fortune Tellers - kind of gypsies with mystic balls or tarot cards etc?

I only ask because I wondered if Spiritualists fell into this category - something like Sarah Waters 'Affinity'...??? I know some kinds of mediums do spiritual readings or predictions, but have no idea if 'Affinity' fits into this category...??

(If anyone could suggest any classic novels with Fortune Tellers, that would be great - but I guess I should post this request in another thread!)


message 746: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments Tani wrote: "Hi, Cynthia. I'm just wondering if I could use Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson for a coming of age novel. Thanks in advance!"No




message 747: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Would Dracula be ok to read as taking place in Romania? I know that Transylvania is part of Romania, but I can't figure out if it was part of Romania when Dracula was written.


message 748: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Hey everyone, I posted this question on another thread before I find this thread. :-)

I'm new to the challenge and have a question about posting points on the points thread. Do I just jump on there and post what I've done so far? Just not sure what the etiquette is. Thanks for any help!


message 749: by Petra (new)

Petra Shannon, Cynthia asks that you include the Task # (ie: Task 5.1) and the book title when you post for points in the points thread.
Other than that, you can post anytime. Some post when they've finished a task. Some post for each book and Cynthia keeps tabs on the multi-book tasks. Some post multiple tasks once in awhile. It's whatever works for you.
You can keep tabs on your Total Points in the Leaderboard thread.
Welcome to the Challenge!


message 750: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Thanks very much! I've seen some people using a list format and either filling in the blanks or crossing off titles as they complete, and that appeals to me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything totally random.


back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

Pompeii (other topics)
The Clan of the Cave Bear (other topics)
The Graveyard Book (other topics)
The Welsh Girl (other topics)
Never Let Me Go (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nick Hornby (other topics)
Robert Harris (other topics)
Dylan Thomas (other topics)
P.J. Tracy (other topics)
Erin Hunter (other topics)
More...