Book Haven discussion

Sci-Fi > Sci-Fi Authors: Male vs. Female

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Unapologetic_Bookaholic (Daalmonette) You may or may not have a preference. If you do. List them here.

As for me I have only read one sci-fi author I have liked enough to read any/all their books I can get my hands on. Octavia Butler was one of the most amazing authors I had ever read. She is in no way the average everyday sci-fi author. Her books have a definite space age/futuristic feel but really all I can say is if you ever see her book at the Library. Check it out =D.

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user I tend to lean towards female fantasy authors in general. One scifi that I really enjoyed was the Rowan series by Anne McCaffrey. I think the appeal of her series, other than the romance subplots (hehe) is that there's a lot of the familiar and not a lot of unnecessary scifi-cation, LOL.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic (Daalmonette) When I go to B and N I write down new authors that look interesting (ok ok if I like the cover I'll flip it over and read the back=D). Fantasy authors have the most interesting blurbs but the stories are so intense. So I like some that are a bit light. Perhaps fantasy as opposed to sci-fi is my calling. As far as new genres to check out.

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user It depends. There's a pretty big variety of fantasy. The books geared towards younger readers tend to be a little bit lighter, from what I've seen.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic (Daalmonette) Ok. Ok. I will have to definitely do some searching next time I go to B n N.

message 6: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 161 comments I have no preference between male and female authors. There is definitely a difference - it is rare that I read a book by a man and think that he certainly slips into the mind of a woman quite easily (and vice versa).

Agree with the OP (Kenjii): Octavia Butler is the bomb! I would read her grocery list if it was published and be grateful for the opportunity! haha

Unapologetic_Bookaholic (Daalmonette) I would read her grocery list if it was published and be grateful for the opportunity! haha

so true =D.

message 8: by stormhawk (last edited Aug 07, 2009 07:47AM) (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Science Fiction is pretty much a boy's club. James Tiptree, Jr. and C.J. Cherryh are both female, but earned success in the genre by being darn good writers, and at first choosing to conceal their sex. Octavia Butler, I think is doubly unique, as both a woman and and African American.

message 9: by new_user (new)

new_user Nah, there's a good number of female scifi writers. I couldn't tell you the ratio, but there's more than two. LOL.

message 10: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Aug 08, 2009 01:27AM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic (Daalmonette) LOL NU! I actually have read MORE sci-fi by female authors. I remember another great sci-fi book and found out it is Book #5. So I have added Book #1 and will eventually get to it.

I think male authors have their stake in every other genre PLUS the male oriented genres like "spy" and "military". So when I see a woman in what's supposed to be a man's world plus she's getting all kinds of accolades that means even her colleagues recognize the talent she has.

Oh btw the author was Kristine Kathryn Rusch. The Retrivial Artist series.

Stormhawk: I loved that Octavia Butler wrote from inspiration and not by definition. "I'm a Black woman. My words have to speak from a certain place in my heart." Her characters, men and women, were so awesomely powerful that as much as I wanted to. I couldn't read her books too fast. I took my time. Loved to wonder how she came up with the character and world she wrote.

message 11: by Starling (new)

Starling James Tiptree was hiding, mostly from her mother I believe. I don't think C.J. Cherryh was hiding her sex or anything else, and if she was it did not last. She certainly showed up as conventions pretty early on.

There were a few women writing SF in the 40s and 50s as well. Leigh Brackett comes to mind. By the time C.J. Cherryh came along it wasn't even all that unusual.

message 12: by Nathaniel (last edited Aug 09, 2009 05:22PM) (new)

Nathaniel (NWStampe) This probably a bad thing for me to say: but to me its an unimportant choice.

I pretty much read a lot of military scifi/British scifi (Alastair Reynolds, Richard K Morgan, David Weber -- yeah I know not British -- , Peter F. Hamilton, Neal Asher.) I do not know of any women writers writing military scifi, I'd love to give them a try, cause David Weber's driving me batty.

But I also know of Kay Keynon and Jo Walton and Karen Traviss, and Octavia Butler, and C.S. Friedman and Naomi Novik. All of whom have written outstanding stuff, recently

Ok, heres the part where I court trouble. Let's remember that around 70% of sales of books sold in the US are romance novels - which are primarily written by women. In fact during the downturn, I heard on NPR Books podcast that romance sales slightly gained sales, while other things went south. Modest gains.

Are female authors under represented, particularly, in science fiction? Yes.

But here's why I think its a false choice: As much as Heinlein, Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke are pillars of the genre so are Ursula Le Guin and Madeline L'Engle. You might even throw in Anne McCaffrey and Frank Herbert. The genre wasn't built by men, it's suffered from a lack of attention from more women writers all these years. That is starting to change. There are more and more really good women writers writing science fiction. The genre is all the better for it.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic (Daalmonette) I like creating threads like this b/c when I am clueless about a genre/theme...whatever! I like to be able to have one place to come to and troll. I can spend time going through reviews or book searches online (GR and so forth) or have a place like this to at least have a starter for each author listed. Thanks!

message 14: by Starling (new)

Starling A lot of the women who wrote science fiction in the 80s also wrote other things. I can think of at least two MAJOR best selling romance writers who were originally SF writers, and SF and not fantasy.

Go back to the 40s and 50s and at least one major name who ended up going to Hollywood and writing movies and I believe got one or two Oscars doing it.

40 years ago I bought a children's song album by the Simon Sisters. It was an amazing album, by the way. My neighbor wondered when the next one would come out. Actually, never, since one of the two sisters doing the singing had become a top 10 rock and roll singer.

It isn't that the writers stopped writing or that the singer stopped singing, it was that they became famous for writing or singling something else.

message 15: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Travis (jerrytravis) | 16 comments The obvious solution to this issue is to have a man/woman team. And if one of them is black, and the other white, so much the better!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic (Daalmonette) Jerry: Great suggestion!

message 17: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL, Jerry, what about the other races? ;P There are actually some man/woman novels, I think.

message 18: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Travis (jerrytravis) | 16 comments Actually, I am part of one of those teams. I'm a white male, and my co-author is a black female. That's why I picked those races. No offense to other races.

message 19: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL. None taken. That's cool, Jerry.

message 20: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica | 121 comments Kenjii wrote: "LOL NU! I actually have read MORE sci-fi by female authors. I remember another great sci-fi book and found out it is Book #5. So I have added Book #1 and will eventually get to it.

I think male a..."

I'm in the same situation. I don't read much SciFi but what I have on my bookshelf is primarily by female writers. Some I followed from their work in fantasy. Most are due to my early interest in the Women of Wonder series. Actually I read a lot of Sci-fi/Fantasy anthologies and there are a fair number of female authors in them.

aPriL does feral sometimes (CheshireScratch) Female hard scifi and male fantasy writers seem the best to me because generally they avoid sentimental crap plots while yet they tend to employ vigorous writing combined with humor/satire/intelligence/drama in the greatest emotional range. Female fantasy writers tend to gushy romance and male hard scifi tend to over describe engineering details for pages and pages. Generally speaking of course since there are lots of exceptions.

message 22: by L.Y. (new)

L.Y. Levand (LYLevand) I don't really have a preference. If I like the book, I like the book, and I don't care who wrote it. What their gender is, or race. Just don't care. :) They just need to appeal to my tastes, and, to me, they're a good writer.

I have to admit, though, I'm a little curious about the male-female dynamic for full-fantasy authors. I'm more into fantasy than sci-fi, and I write fantasy myself, so it's particularly intriguing.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Rowan (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Octavia E. Butler (other topics)
Anne McCaffrey (other topics)
Kristine Kathryn Rusch (other topics)