Book Haven discussion

Ghosts > The Afterlife...

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
There are SOOOOO many different views on what happens after we pass on...

What do you think happens?

Note: This is a fun discussion, please do not get angry with people for having different beliefs...

message 2: by J.D. (last edited Jul 15, 2009 02:57AM) (new)

Personally, I don't know about heaven in the traditional sense. I think it is more likely that we reincarnate, or that our energy goes on with out consciousness. I think that might be why we see ghosts. Perhaps they are what is left behind after we pass on...
Although, I think it is very likely that being dead is just like slipping into the abyss, somewhat similar to when we are asleep...

Jo I think that your soul moves on and is reborn into a new body with out any memory of its previous body

Jo wrote: "I think that your soul moves on and is reborn into a new body with out any memory of its previous body"

I saw this movie when I was a kid...It was about these people who achieved immorality. The only way they could be immortal was by stepping through this doorwar, which enabled them to fuse with another being. Basically, this man had around 20 different men and women living in side his brain. Through this they were able to see the outside world, be immortal, and could even take over his body. It was a really weird movie. Wish I would remember the name of it...

Jo Sounds interesting. I cant help you with the name i never saw it

BK Blue (paradoxically) This is what I like to believe:

When we die, our energy gets recycled. We become part of the grass, the trees, the rocks, the animals, the clouds, the future generations, and even the air you breathe.

So in a way, we get reincarnated. And in another way, we live forever.

Louise (LuckyLou) BonFire wrote: "This is what I like to believe:

When we die, our energy gets recycled. We become part of the grass, the trees, the rocks, the animals, the clouds, the future generations, and even the air you brea..."

I THINK I'M WITH YOU, BONFIRE. BUT YOU SAY IT BETTER THAN MIGHT!

Karyn (HonestbutEvil) | 37 comments Though I was raised in a christian family, I find the whole christian thing hard to take. It all seems very hippocritic to me. And the idea that a god that created and loves everyone and everything would sit and send some people to heaven and others to hell never sat right with me. I prefer to belive that everyone gets their own slice of heaven.

Elvia (elvb) | 576 comments Bonfire's explanation makes A LOT of sense. I find it hard to believe in heaven and hell. Karyn makes sense when she says why would a god do that to people he/she "loves".

message 10: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) "I don't believe in any actual thinking God that marks the fall of every bird in Australia or every bug in India, a God that records all of our sins in a big golden book and judges us when we die - I don't want to believe in a God who would deliberately create bad people and then deliberately send them to roast in a hell He created-but I believe there has to be something"
— Stephen King

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo Great quote BonFire!

message 12: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) Thanks! I love quotes and I thought it suited the topic, lol.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes I do believe in an afterlife,I don`t even know why,I`ve enjoyed reading everyones thoughts on it and ghosts too.

Arch  | 867 comments I believe in Heaven and hell and what The Bible says happen to people.

Chriss | 15 comments A great, humorous book that takes a look at the scientific side of the afterlife (including Victorian gadgets to weigh the soul) is the non-fiction Spook by March Roach.

Steven Belanger | 43 comments Sometimes I think I'll see people There who should not be sharing the same room, or Existence, there or anywhere. People who should be there, but not necessarily sitting at the same table. Sometimes I think this would be amusing; sometimes, terrible. And sometimes terribly amusing. Depends if Sartre was right or not.

Steven Belanger
www.stevenbelanger.com
www.stevenebelanger.blogspot.com

aPriL purrs 'n hisses (CheshireScratches) I think there is an afterlife. I WISH hell existed for those who do relentless evil but I think not. Sigh. I believe in reincarnation for those of us that choose it. I believe we possess souls. I also think some of us have some kind of spiritual helper riding along that cause the description of "old soul" to be applied to some of us. I also believe organized religion is a corruption of this sense most of us have of an afterlife. Religious institutions are great for community, awful for spirituality. I think near death experiences may break down some of the usual walls between realities thus all of the similar stories all over the world throughout written history. But the brain scientists are exploring the brain and coming up with electronically stimulated hallucinations of the afterlife too. So. Only time will tell. Why do we have brains that can be electronically stimulated into visions of an afterlife?

Anteru (megamarie) I really do want to believe in reincarnations and heaven and hell. But I think that's idle fantasy. Maybe my opinion is influenced by the movies I watched. Anyway, the idea of afterlife and if it really exists fascinates me but that will always be a mystery to me.

Anteru (megamarie) Lmao. That surely is cool.

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Jo wrote: "I think that your soul moves on and is reborn into a new body with out any memory of its previous body"

I agree with this sorta, because oddly enough if you talk to little kids they will at times tell you about places they remember but actually haven't been and in great detail too. So you gotta wonder if you do remember somethings at least briefly.

Nada Al-Karmi (Nadooush) @Nora, i read that when a person is still a baby in his mother's womb, he has flashes of his life to come. maybe that's why we talk about things that haven't happened yet.

i do believe in hell & heaven. i don't believe that God deliberately creates bad people. he just creates people & then gives them free will to choose whether to be bad or good.

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) nada wrote: "@Nora, i read that when a person is still a baby in his mother's womb, he has flashes of his life to come. maybe that's why we talk about things that haven't happened yet.

i do believe in hell & ..."

It could be some of that too. My youngest had memories of several places he had never been and now never will go. He was quite accurate in his descriptions so that has always made me wonder, kwim?

message 23: by T. (new)

T. Browder (TJosephBrowder) | 7 comments I had a startling thought recently. Okay, two of them...(these are just silly 'what if's' and not beliefs)

one...what if the afterlife is just our energy (spirit) wandering around the earth for eternity?

two...anyone notice how shows like Ghost Adventures, Ghost Hunters, Long Island Medium, Dead Files, etc., are encountering more and more hauntings? I would assume that it's because that's how they get their ratings. But...what if...the dead are walking the earth in preparation of Christ's return as prophesized in Revelations???

unread topics | mark unread