Historical Romance discussion

What HR book are you reading? > Whatcha readin' now?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 7,228) (7228 new)    post a comment »

Kathrynn | 892 comments Mod
Care to share? I'm reading the Cherry Adair (T-FLAC) series and I'm on book #3.

It's a romantic suspense and so far I'm enjoying the series.

Jen (RevJen) (RevJen) | 9 comments "The Last Heiress" by Bertrice Small. It's a fiction taking place in the time of Henry VIII at the time he takes up with Anne Boleyn. It's the fourth in a series that starts with "Rosamund." I didn't think I would like the series but it's pretty good.

I'm now reading book #5 in the T-FLAC series. Read book #4 a few days ago. I'm also reading "A New Earth..." and taking the class with Oprah that starts this Monday night.

We have a group called "A New Earth..." if anyone is interesting in joining.

And, I'm reading "A Gift of Change" by Marianne Williamson which is kind of like a "helper" book to the New Earth.

Eastofoz | 901 comments Mod
I'm reading Amy Fetzer's NAKED TRUTH--quite the page turner!

I remember "Naked Truth" I liked it, complicated, but good.

Have you read her "Perfect Weapon?" That was good, too.

No. This is the first book I've picked up by her. Thanks for the recommendation --and the friend invitation :)

I just finished "Predatory Game" by Christine Feehan and enjoyed it. It's book #6 in the Ghostwalker series and NOT a good one to pick up to read first. Need to go back a few in the series. My favorite in this series is "Night Game." HOT!

I just finished "Dawn's Awakening" by Lora Leigh and it was a captivating story. I wouldn't recommend someone new to the series pick this one up though; I think it would be hard to follow.

I'm going to read "Shifter" now, it's an anthology and includes another in the breed series by Ms. Leigh.

Anyone else read or reading anything good?

Christel (Christelc) | 18 comments Finished Dorothy Garlock's " River Rising" yesterday and just finished Cherry Adair's " Edge of Danger" and I think I need to finish " Nauti Nights". But I still have a good amount to read this week

Christel,

What did you think of Edge of Danger by Cherry Adair?

I just finished On Thin Ice by her and I liked it. Loved the sled dogs!

Laura I am now reading Dragonwyck by Anya Seton.

I'm reading "The Bodyguard" by Christy Tillery French. It's a modern, funny and light book. ;-)

Colette  (aBuckeyegirlreads) | 3 comments I just finished The Last Heiress...I thought there was too much back story, but maybe I just had too much of Anne Boleyn since I'm reading the Boleyn series by Philippa Gregory.

Colette  (aBuckeyegirlreads) | 3 comments I also just finished Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson..it was a quick read and laugh out loud funny. :) I am currently re-reading an old favorite-Jane Eyre.

I've started reading Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed Series. Finished book #1 yesterday and re-reading book #2 (that I read last year and didn't realize it was part of a series), then moving on to #3 and #4.

They are similar to Black Dagger of Brotherhood and a tad like the Carpathian Series, but enough differences that I am enjoying them.

I'm also struggling with "The Time Traveler's Wife." It's a group read with the Morning Coffee Club. Weird book...

Jen (RevJen) (RevJen) | 9 comments I've read The Time Traveler's Wife a few times and loved it. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm reading Summer Breeze by Catherine Anderson. It's #3 in the Coulter (western) series.

Crystal (BsPeanut) | 10 comments I just finished Dangerous JOy by Jo Beverly...its #3 I think in her Rogue series. While I wait for her others to arrive I am reading Twilight by Stephanie Meyers. A bit different then what I usually read. But I am loving it!

I'm finally reading OUTLANDER by Diana Gabaldon.

Gbina | 10 comments East - How is it so far (OUTLANDER)? Several people have recommended it to me, but I just haven't got around to it. Is it worth rearranging my TBR pile?

gbina sorry for not replying sooner but I just saw your post :( I didn't like OUTLANDER because it was more regular fiction than a romance and I was told it'd be the be all and end all of a romance story. For general fiction I rated it 4 stars but for romance I'd give it 2. Plus it's really long and I think it could've been shortened by 1/2. If you're rearranging your TBR pile I'd put it at the very bottom ;)

I'm reading Suzanne Enoch's A MATTER OF SCANDAL. I've never read anything by her before and this one is pretty good so far. It reminds me of Sabrina Jeffries' recent LET SLEEPING ROGUES LIE--almost as if Jeffries "borrowed heavily" from this one as it's older.

Shelly (dreamstonone) | 1 comments I'm reading Untouched by Anna Campbell.

Gbina | 10 comments East - Thanks for the review. I knew it was a really long book which is partly why I asked about it...wanted to make sure it was worth my time. I am not entirely certain I trust the person that told me it was good anyway. I'll keep it at the bottom of my pile. ;)

I've never read Suzanne Enoch, but Sabrina Jeffries has a quite a few good books. Currently I am reading Stephanie Laurens's TO DISTRACTION. It is typical Laurens, and I like it. :)

Rebecca Johnson | 3 comments The whole Outlander Series are WONDERFUL! Just my favorite series right now. I think I have read atleast each of the books 3 times. You will fall in love with the characters. After reading each book (each over 500 pgs.) you will come to really know the characters and enjoy them thoroughly! Enjoy!

message 25: by Mia (last edited Jul 03, 2008 01:10PM) (new)

Mia Marlowe (MiaMarlowe) | 59 comments I read an article once about Diana Gabaldon being a little upset at being tagged a romance. So evidently, she agrees with your assessment that she writes mainstream fiction.

I'm reading THE NIGHTKEEPERS by Jessica Andersen and SIZE 14 IS NOT FAT EITHER by Meg Cabot. What can I say? I like diversity.

Happy 4th,
Em
http://www.emilybryan.com

message 26: by Eastofoz (last edited Jul 11, 2008 10:46PM) (new)

Your Emily Bryan the author aren't you! :D I have your book DISTRACTING THE DUCHESS on my TBR mountain--I love the yummy cover :D Looking forward to reading it :D

So I just received Loretta Chase's YOUR SCANDALOUS WAYS and everything has been put on hold to read that one! I adored her LORD OF SCOUNDRELS book :D

Jen (RevJen) (RevJen) | 9 comments I think that "Outlander" could go either way. If you like the romance side, it's romance. If you prefer the fiction, it's fiction.

Crystal (BsPeanut) | 10 comments I just started Temptation by Jude Deveroux. I haven't read many of her books before.

I'm reading "Dance of the Gods" (book #2 of the Circle Trilogy by Nora Roberts).

Very good! Vampires, witches, shape shifters, funny at times, serious at other times. Nice characters.

I'm finishing up BEYOND SEDUCTION by Emma Holly and it's very good!

message 31: by Mia (last edited Aug 07, 2008 05:27AM) (new)

Mia Marlowe (MiaMarlowe) | 59 comments I hope you enjoy my DUCHESS, Eastofoz! If you do, please try my PLEASURING THE PIRATE as well. It just came out last week. http://www.emilybryan.com for an excerpt!

I just finished reading Victoria Alexander's LET IT BE LOVE. After hearing her speak at RWA NAtionals, I was very excited to read her work and she didn't disappoint. Very witty. Sharply drawn characters. I'm definitely having a fan-girl moment.

I recently finished Enoch's THE RAKE and it was really good. I plan on reading the rest in the LESSONS IN LOVE series.

Addicted2Luv | 16 comments I'm currently reading #6 in the Bridgerton series, When He Was Wicked, by Julia Quinn. The hero is in love with his cousin's wife. Next I'm going to read Elizabeth Hoyt's The Serpent Prince.

Dyanne  (dyanneg) | 36 comments I just finished "Holly" by Jude Deveraux. It was okay, not one of her best and more like a long Novella. I am new to Goodreads so I am in the long process of posting all the books I have read. I am doing it by author, which is making me realize the books I have not read by my favorites. So this is a good thing. "Holly" was one of them and I see that there are about 3 other Jude books that I some how missed in the last 3-4 years.

Gbina | 10 comments Been reading a lot of Sci-Fi/Fantasy lately and found myself craving some romance. So I went to my TBR pile and chose More than a Mistress by Mary Balogh. Been a long time since I read Mary Balogh and I am enjoying myself immensely. I also started re-reading Mansfield Park. Jane Austen always fulfills my need for genuine romance.

Saadia (sm22281) | 7 comments It'been a long time for me reading Georgette Heyer, so I am picking up "The Devil's Cub" --great atmosphere for regency lovers of rogues.

I just got all my Bridgertons today and I hope to start book 2 soon :) I'm currently reading THE FORTUNE HUNTER by Jasmine Haynes.

Amy (amyhageman) | 8 comments I'm currently in the middle of SHALL WE DANCE? by Kasey Michaels. It's a companion book to THE BUTLER DID IT, which I finished a few days ago.

Both are enjoyable reads so far - although somewhat predictable. Both books have one main couple with several secondary romances. The secondary romances are more diverse, involving older couples and couples of different social classes.

East,

I'm waiting for your review on "The Fortune Hunter." ;-)

(yikes)

Kathrynn you're worrying me here--it's supposed to be good right? (!)

You know I tried 4 times to make up a poll with the book/author feature they now have for the polls and as soon as I'd hit save it'd say there was an error try again later. I gave up because it took too long to do and it's very frustrating!!

East, what poll? I was just in the Feedback Group and there were comments about poll errors.

Where were you trying to make a book/author poll?

Keep reading. Just waiting for your review on that one.

;-)

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments I just finished Sins of a Duke by Suzanne Enoch. It was the first book of hers I've read, and I found to be just "OK," though from browsing the reviews, her fans seem to be in a consensus that it's not her best work. I think I'd like to give her another try with one of the earlier books in the Griffin series.

I'm finally starting the Lisa Kleypas books.

Reading "Secrets of a Summer Night." My first by this author.

;-)

Kayleigh I recently discovered Enoch myself and really liked A MATTER OF SCANDAL and the first book in her Lessons in Love series THE RAKE. Apparently a reader favourite of hers is supposed to be LONDON'S PERFECT SCOUNDREL which is book two in the Lesson's in Love series.

Kathrynn, yay! You'll be hooked in no time! Picked a good time to start too because A WALLFLOWER CHRISTMAS is coming out in October :D

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments East,

Thanks! I just bought the other Griffin books to try; I'm a series whore. If I like them, I'll check out your suggestions next. :)

Kay

LOL on the series whore Kayleigh --I love series, just started the Bridgertons which ought to tide me over for a bit ;)

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments East, I'm glad I'm not the only one! There's a thread over on the Amazon forums (where I also troll) about authors who write series' with secondary characters from the first novel, and the general consensus over there seems to be that readers are annoyed by that. Not me! I love the secondary characters and always look forward to their own stories.

In fact, it happens to me as a writer, too. I'll be writing a book, and end up in love with my secondaries, so then they get their own book. More often than not, they demand it. (Yes, my characters talk to me, and I talk back!)

Kay

message 48: by Harlequin (last edited Sep 15, 2008 08:31AM) (new)

Harlequin Historical (Historical) | 35 comments You made a good choice of titles by Lisa Kleypasfor your first one. I really enjoyed Secrets of a Summer Night.

new_user Kayleigh, I love the secondaries too. I don't know how people can say they don't want to know their stories when they come across an interesting secondary character.

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments New User,
I think the main complaint was that they read so many books they can't remember the secondary characters and are surprised when authors expect them to. But again, not me! I always remember the secondaries when they're well done, and it seems I'm not alone in that. :)

Kay

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 144 145