Historical Romance discussion

What HR book are you reading? > What historical romance book are you reading?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 9,718) (9718 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 194 195

message 1: by Kathrynn (last edited Jul 11, 2015 06:08PM) (new)

Kathrynn | 1068 comments Mod
free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

Posts about books which are not HR will be deleted. Continued posts by members of non HR books will result in member removal.

I'm sorry. Too many non HR books are being posted and we need this group to be about HR books. There are plenty of other groups on GRs where you can discuss other genres; please do not post about the great fiction, mystery, etc book you read. If it's not HR it doesn't belong in this group.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Please PM me with any questions.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

"The Last Heiress" by Bertrice Small. It's a fiction taking place in the time of Henry VIII at the time he takes up with Anne Boleyn. It's the fourth in a series that starts with "Rosamund." I didn't think I would like the series but it's pretty good.

message 3: by Christel (new)

Christel (Christelc) | 18 comments Finished Dorothy Garlock's " River Rising" yesterday and just finished Cherry Adair's " Edge of Danger" and I think I need to finish " Nauti Nights". But I still have a good amount to read this week

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura I am now reading Dragonwyck by Anya Seton.

message 5: by Colette (new)

Colette  (aBuckeyegirlreads) | 3 comments I just finished The Last Heiress...I thought there was too much back story, but maybe I just had too much of Anne Boleyn since I'm reading the Boleyn series by Philippa Gregory.

message 6: by Colette (new)

Colette  (aBuckeyegirlreads) | 3 comments I also just finished Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson..it was a quick read and laugh out loud funny. :) I am currently re-reading an old favorite-Jane Eyre.

message 7: by Kathrynn (new)

I'm reading Summer Breeze by Catherine Anderson. It's #3 in the Coulter (western) series.

message 8: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (BsPeanut) | 10 comments I just finished Dangerous JOy by Jo Beverly...its #3 I think in her Rogue series. While I wait for her others to arrive I am reading Twilight by Stephanie Meyers. A bit different then what I usually read. But I am loving it!

message 9: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 897 comments Mod
I'm finally reading OUTLANDER by Diana Gabaldon.

message 10: by Gbina (new)

Gbina | 10 comments East - How is it so far (OUTLANDER)? Several people have recommended it to me, but I just haven't got around to it. Is it worth rearranging my TBR pile?

message 11: by Eastofoz (new)

gbina sorry for not replying sooner but I just saw your post :( I didn't like OUTLANDER because it was more regular fiction than a romance and I was told it'd be the be all and end all of a romance story. For general fiction I rated it 4 stars but for romance I'd give it 2. Plus it's really long and I think it could've been shortened by 1/2. If you're rearranging your TBR pile I'd put it at the very bottom ;)

I'm reading Suzanne Enoch's A MATTER OF SCANDAL. I've never read anything by her before and this one is pretty good so far. It reminds me of Sabrina Jeffries' recent LET SLEEPING ROGUES LIE--almost as if Jeffries "borrowed heavily" from this one as it's older.

message 12: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (dreamstonone) | 1 comments I'm reading Untouched by Anna Campbell.

message 13: by Gbina (new)

Gbina | 10 comments East - Thanks for the review. I knew it was a really long book which is partly why I asked about it...wanted to make sure it was worth my time. I am not entirely certain I trust the person that told me it was good anyway. I'll keep it at the bottom of my pile. ;)

I've never read Suzanne Enoch, but Sabrina Jeffries has a quite a few good books. Currently I am reading Stephanie Laurens's TO DISTRACTION. It is typical Laurens, and I like it. :)

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Johnson | 3 comments The whole Outlander Series are WONDERFUL! Just my favorite series right now. I think I have read atleast each of the books 3 times. You will fall in love with the characters. After reading each book (each over 500 pgs.) you will come to really know the characters and enjoy them thoroughly! Enjoy!

message 15: by Mia (last edited Jul 03, 2008 01:10PM) (new)

Mia Marlowe (MiaMarlowe) | 56 comments I read an article once about Diana Gabaldon being a little upset at being tagged a romance. So evidently, she agrees with your assessment that she writes mainstream fiction.

I'm reading THE NIGHTKEEPERS by Jessica Andersen and SIZE 14 IS NOT FAT EITHER by Meg Cabot. What can I say? I like diversity.

Happy 4th,
Em
http://www.emilybryan.com

message 16: by Eastofoz (last edited Jul 11, 2008 10:46PM) (new)

Your Emily Bryan the author aren't you! :D I have your book DISTRACTING THE DUCHESS on my TBR mountain--I love the yummy cover :D Looking forward to reading it :D

So I just received Loretta Chase's YOUR SCANDALOUS WAYS and everything has been put on hold to read that one! I adored her LORD OF SCOUNDRELS book :D

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that "Outlander" could go either way. If you like the romance side, it's romance. If you prefer the fiction, it's fiction.

message 18: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (BsPeanut) | 10 comments I just started Temptation by Jude Deveroux. I haven't read many of her books before.

message 19: by Eastofoz (new)

I'm finishing up BEYOND SEDUCTION by Emma Holly and it's very good!

message 20: by Mia (last edited Aug 07, 2008 05:27AM) (new)

Mia Marlowe (MiaMarlowe) | 56 comments I hope you enjoy my DUCHESS, Eastofoz! If you do, please try my PLEASURING THE PIRATE as well. It just came out last week. http://www.emilybryan.com for an excerpt!

I just finished reading Victoria Alexander's LET IT BE LOVE. After hearing her speak at RWA NAtionals, I was very excited to read her work and she didn't disappoint. Very witty. Sharply drawn characters. I'm definitely having a fan-girl moment.

message 21: by Eastofoz (new)

I recently finished Enoch's THE RAKE and it was really good. I plan on reading the rest in the LESSONS IN LOVE series.

message 22: by Addicted2Luv (new)

Addicted2Luv | 16 comments I'm currently reading #6 in the Bridgerton series, When He Was Wicked, by Julia Quinn. The hero is in love with his cousin's wife. Next I'm going to read Elizabeth Hoyt's The Serpent Prince.

message 23: by Dyanne (new)

Dyanne  (dyanneg) | 36 comments I just finished "Holly" by Jude Deveraux. It was okay, not one of her best and more like a long Novella. I am new to Goodreads so I am in the long process of posting all the books I have read. I am doing it by author, which is making me realize the books I have not read by my favorites. So this is a good thing. "Holly" was one of them and I see that there are about 3 other Jude books that I some how missed in the last 3-4 years.

message 24: by Gbina (new)

Gbina | 10 comments Been reading a lot of Sci-Fi/Fantasy lately and found myself craving some romance. So I went to my TBR pile and chose More than a Mistress by Mary Balogh. Been a long time since I read Mary Balogh and I am enjoying myself immensely. I also started re-reading Mansfield Park. Jane Austen always fulfills my need for genuine romance.

message 25: by Saadia (new)

Saadia (sm22281) | 6 comments It'been a long time for me reading Georgette Heyer, so I am picking up "The Devil's Cub" --great atmosphere for regency lovers of rogues.

message 26: by Eastofoz (new)

I just got all my Bridgertons today and I hope to start book 2 soon :) I'm currently reading THE FORTUNE HUNTER by Jasmine Haynes.

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyhageman) | 8 comments I'm currently in the middle of SHALL WE DANCE? by Kasey Michaels. It's a companion book to THE BUTLER DID IT, which I finished a few days ago.

Both are enjoyable reads so far - although somewhat predictable. Both books have one main couple with several secondary romances. The secondary romances are more diverse, involving older couples and couples of different social classes.

message 28: by Kathrynn (new)

East,

I'm waiting for your review on "The Fortune Hunter." ;-)

(yikes)

message 29: by Eastofoz (new)

Kathrynn you're worrying me here--it's supposed to be good right? (!)

You know I tried 4 times to make up a poll with the book/author feature they now have for the polls and as soon as I'd hit save it'd say there was an error try again later. I gave up because it took too long to do and it's very frustrating!!

message 30: by Kathrynn (new)

East, what poll? I was just in the Feedback Group and there were comments about poll errors.

Where were you trying to make a book/author poll?

Keep reading. Just waiting for your review on that one.

;-)

message 31: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments I just finished Sins of a Duke by Suzanne Enoch. It was the first book of hers I've read, and I found to be just "OK," though from browsing the reviews, her fans seem to be in a consensus that it's not her best work. I think I'd like to give her another try with one of the earlier books in the Griffin series.

message 32: by Kathrynn (new)

I'm finally starting the Lisa Kleypas books.

Reading "Secrets of a Summer Night." My first by this author.

;-)

message 33: by Eastofoz (new)

Kayleigh I recently discovered Enoch myself and really liked A MATTER OF SCANDAL and the first book in her Lessons in Love series THE RAKE. Apparently a reader favourite of hers is supposed to be LONDON'S PERFECT SCOUNDREL which is book two in the Lesson's in Love series.

Kathrynn, yay! You'll be hooked in no time! Picked a good time to start too because A WALLFLOWER CHRISTMAS is coming out in October :D

message 34: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments East,

Thanks! I just bought the other Griffin books to try; I'm a series whore. If I like them, I'll check out your suggestions next. :)

Kay

message 35: by Eastofoz (new)

LOL on the series whore Kayleigh --I love series, just started the Bridgertons which ought to tide me over for a bit ;)

message 36: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments East, I'm glad I'm not the only one! There's a thread over on the Amazon forums (where I also troll) about authors who write series' with secondary characters from the first novel, and the general consensus over there seems to be that readers are annoyed by that. Not me! I love the secondary characters and always look forward to their own stories.

In fact, it happens to me as a writer, too. I'll be writing a book, and end up in love with my secondaries, so then they get their own book. More often than not, they demand it. (Yes, my characters talk to me, and I talk back!)

Kay

message 37: by Harlequin (last edited Sep 15, 2008 08:31AM) (new)

Harlequin Historical (Historical) | 35 comments You made a good choice of titles by Lisa Kleypasfor your first one. I really enjoyed Secrets of a Summer Night.

message 38: by new_user (new)

new_user Kayleigh, I love the secondaries too. I don't know how people can say they don't want to know their stories when they come across an interesting secondary character.

message 39: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments New User,
I think the main complaint was that they read so many books they can't remember the secondary characters and are surprised when authors expect them to. But again, not me! I always remember the secondaries when they're well done, and it seems I'm not alone in that. :)

Kay

message 40: by Kathrynn (new)

I like the secondaries! I only forget about them when they play a very minor part in the book and a year or more goes by. We've had a few discussions when that has happened and usually someone can jog the memory lapse.

But a good secondary and I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel. 8-)

message 41: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 (isisfg) | 119 comments I'm almost always in favor of secondaries getting their own book! My fav kinds of books to read are ones with connecting characters. It adds a nice sense of familiarity with everyone. Plus, you will usually get an update on past H/H's and that's nice to read.

message 42: by Kathrynn (new)

Yes, that's it exactly, Isis. Well said.

message 43: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments I'm so glad to hear ya'll say this. I just signed a contract today for a new book that has turned into a series. It's Regency-set, and the hero's younger brother demanded his own book, so now he's getting one; I'm already writing it.

Their sister is bugging me about her story as well, so this is going to be at least a three book series. Oy!

Kay

message 44: by Eastofoz (new)

I like the secondaries and especially those family/close friend ones where they go through each person. They pop up in a bunch of books and then the get their own story. I like the familiarty of it :)

message 45: by Addicted2Luv (new)

Addicted2Luv | 16 comments I'll be finishing up Minx by Julia Quinn this weekend. Today I ordered Claiming the Courtesan by Anna Campbell, which will be a new author for me. Not sure what I'll pull out of my TBR pile after Minx.

message 46: by Eastofoz (new)

I've had CLAIMING THE COURTESAN forever sitting on TBR--it's supposed to be one of those controversial reads. I was dying to get it and then when I did something else got ahead of it.

message 47: by Tammy (new)

Tammy  (TammyMerlot) | 67 comments East, what is the controversy behing Claiming the Courtesan? I haven't read it yet either.

Addicted, please let me know when you post your review on the Minx. I'd love to read it! I am so far behind on my Julia Quinn reads.

message 48: by Eastofoz (new)

Huge spoiler coming Tammy so don't read further if you don't want to know:

******CLAIMING THE COURTESAN*****SPOILER*****

There's supposed to be a very bad rape scene but the heroine ends up staying with the hero and a lot of readers were outraged. Now I don't know how much of that is true because it's all about "interpretation" (I really like Whitney My Love with or without the rape scene but I know a lot people hated it because of it)

message 49: by Tammy (new)

Tammy  (TammyMerlot) | 67 comments Bummer!

I really liked Judith McNaught's Paradise, but I have not been able to bring myself to read Whitney My Love because of the rape scene. I know it has been re-written, so maybe one day I'll get around to buying a new copy.

message 50: by new_user (last edited Oct 03, 2008 09:15PM) (new)

new_user Tammy, I read Claiming the Courtesan and I'll agree, it is certainly not for everyone, but it's a little more complicated than "there's a rape scene" will describe. I started to explain that it in detail, but this post was getting too long, so I just posted it to a review. I figure the reviews don't explain it adequately anyway. You can read it here if you're interested. My take on it was a little different. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 194 195

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Claiming the Courtesan (other topics)
Romancing Mister Bridgerton (other topics)
Hot Silk (other topics)
The Lady and the Dragon (other topics)
Tin Angel (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sharon Page (other topics)
Ann Campbell (other topics)
Johanna Lindsey (other topics)
Linda Devlin (other topics)
Carla Kelly (other topics)
More...