Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Wrong ISBN

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marty (new)

Marty (vmbear) | 6 comments The entry for Dashiell Hammett's "The Continental Op", Vintage-2013 has the ISBN as 039472013X. The copy in my hand (of this exact book) has ISBN 039472031X. I calculated the check digit and the one from the book checks, but the one in the book entry doesn't.
I'm much too new at this librarian stuff to want to go changing this. The ISBN seems to have a magical aura. Is there anything that's going to get fouled up if it changes?
It may also get out of sync with the ISBN13. That's not in the book, but contains several digits from the 10-digit ISBN number including the two swapped digits.
And, um, shouldn't the program that accepts these check them? The algorithm is pretty simple.

message 2: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylvianamira) Hi Marty, I've check this book, and the ISBN is 0-394-72013-X, as for ISBN 13: 978-0-394-72013-5.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 24730 comments Mod
Originally I changed it, because the LOC seemed to back up your claim, Marty. However, I just checked the ISBNs on several sites, and they all assert that the first one (as listed on Amazon) is correct, and the one you gave is an invalid ISBN.

Very weird that the LOC has it wrong! I wonder if there was a mistake when the book was printed?

message 4: by Marty (new)

Marty (vmbear) | 6 comments Oops. I got my hands crossed checking it yesterday. Goodreads has it correctly and the book is wrong. Sorry for my confusion.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 24730 comments Mod
No problem. A little detective work is good for the brain. And mind is still trying to wrap itself around the Library of Congress having an incorrect ISBN! ;)

message 6: by Marty (new)

Marty (vmbear) | 6 comments They must have done something silly like believing what was in the book. It does sort of shake your trust when the authority is wrong.

message 7: by Boaz (new)

Boaz Eapen (boazeapen) | 1 comments I entered the wrong ISBN in creating the book "Be a Better Dad Today"
Kindly change the ISBN to 978-81-7820-347-8.
This is for the INDIAN edition published by Gospel Literature Service.

message 8: by Emy (last edited Oct 28, 2013 01:34AM) (new)

Emy (EmyPT) | 2695 comments #7 done - moved ISBN13 from the ISBN10 field and combined with other editions. :)

unread topics | mark unread