Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil discussion

Hilarious.

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deborah I want to go to Savannah and watch these people do their thing. I LOVED this book.

message 2: by Mrs. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mrs. McGregor Two drops in a bucket, honey!

This book was just fun, fun fun.

message 3: by Paige (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paige This is one of my favorites also. The movie actually holds up too, but the book is better. We also need to make it to Savannah. Two tears in a bucket...#@$k you, Jim! I hide my candy. :-)

message 4: by Paige (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paige Oh, also, I understand he has a new book out. Anyone read it?

message 5: by Amelia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:59AM) (new)

Amelia He's got a new book? Do you know the name? Anybody else think that this novel blurs that line between non-fiction and novel beautifully?

message 6: by Amanda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amanda Partlow The City of Falling Angels is his new book. I'm not really sure what it's about, but probably Savannah. haha. But, no, I don't really think it blurs that line. The first half was spectacular. Unfortunately, the second half kind of it just stops. And the end, while I understand that he had to uphold the reality of the situation, is not so good. I don't know, I feel like it was a well written book, and the description is beautiful, but the plot is boring. A murder mystery should be exciting, and I just didn't get excited by any of it.

message 7: by Justin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Justin I didn't think the movie held up at all in this case. Of course, movies based on books hardly ever do.

message 8: by Abby (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abby I read The City of Falling Angels, and, had I not read Midnight in the Garden first, I would have loved it. CoFA takes place in Venice, which seems intriguing on the surface, but it was some how less accessible than Midnight. The people he follows in Venice just weren't as fun and interesting.
Not badly written at all - I believe the paperback is out now if the thought of a look at behind-the-scenes Venice sounds interesting to you.

message 9: by Karen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:06AM) (new)

Karen Germain I went to Savannah last year and went on a "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil " tour. A woman who is a Savannah native and was an extra in the movie, showed us all of the sites, separating the movie from book, fact from fiction. The city is gorgeous. I want to move there, seriously. We also saw the Bonventura cemetery and went to the grave of Danny Hanson. I saw the Mercer house, which you can tour the inside of. The city is just amazing. I would highly recommend a visit.

Also, the people are just as colorful as they are in the book.

Jackie I have been there too! It is just like the book/movie. An amazing city.

message 11: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate I've read both books, and I loved both of them, but in different ways and for different reasons. I think John Berendt has a gift for capturing the humanity of a city, and Venice and Savannah are waaaay different, which is why the books ended up being so different despite having the same basic formula.

And I am absolutely DYING to go to Savannah. Who wouldn't want to go to a place that's "like Gone with the Wind on mescaline"???

Tyler I've lived near Savannah. I found the characters in the book true to my experience. I really do appreciate the accuracy of John Berendt's characterizations.

message 13: by Joyce (new)

Joyce A couple of years after the book came out, my husband took me to Savannah. We got to go on a tour about "the book," as it was called there at the time. It was a stitch. I also loved the book.

message 14: by Joyce (new)

Joyce I read City of Falling Angels. Nowhere near as interesting. It takes place in Venice, Italy, and he tries to do the same thing. This time around a fire that destroys an opera house being renovated. But he doesn't have characters that are as interesting to work with. I think "Midnight" was a once in a lifetime experience. Perhaps the only other city that might yield so many interesting characters would be New Orlieans.

Antoinette " Midnight In The Garden Of Good & Evil " is one of my favorite books, fascinating because it's a true story. I just loved The Lady Chablis !

Stacey Rose I have had this book for awhile and after reading the reviews decided to pick it up again. I am gonna trust you guys and push through it. Now Iremember why I put it down. I find it hard to get thru but I will give it a second shot.

Graham Crawford Lots of people obviously really love this book - I didn't find it too offensive, but it certainly didn't charm me like it did most folks. I'm left with a lingering feeling the writer is a tourist appropriating other peoples stories in the most superficial way. The only moment of payback was when the drag queen (an extremely superficial and stereotyped version as any gay person would know) embarrasses the author at the town event - finally making the writer account for his un-asked-for immersion in this community.(Journalistic ethics 101). His Venice story was likewise Same same - and criticised by the Venetians for the reasons I mention.

message 18: by Mia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mia I agree, Graham. The narrator was kind of annoying, but I let is slide because he's journalist, and that's just a trait of the profession ;)

This book makes me want to go Savannah. My friend was married down South (New Orleans), I subtley suggested maybe she'd like Georgia better -- but no dice.

I liked Mandy better in the book, and Joe as well. I also would've liked to have seen Jude Law strutting around in a F*** You t-shirt. The Doll was great in both the book and the movie.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (other topics)
Gone with the Wind (other topics)