The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars question

Any books similar to The Fault in Our Stars?
Ella Ella Feb 18, 2014 07:47AM
I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Fault in Our Stars', and I would like to know if anyone can recommend some writers with a similar style and books with similar strength of characters. Thanks a lot for your help.

Looking for Alaska John Green
A walk to remember Nicholas Sparks
Before I fall Lauren Oliver
Speak Laurie Halse Anderson
The Sky is Everywhere Jandy Nelson

Jodi Picoult's book The Sister's Keeper actually has this story although it's not really the main plot. I read The Sister's Keeper first and I think The Fault in Our Stars is just the prolonged story of Kate and Taylor's relationship. I mean they both have cancer and *spoiler alert* Taylor died.

And by the way, Jodi Picoult's The Sister's Keeper was published on 2004 while TFIOS in 2012. Just saying

I really loved the Night Circus and The book thief,there not in the same type of The fault in our stars, but they are one of my favorite books so I really recommend those two

Check out other books by John Green. I really liked all his books and would highly recommend all of his books. Some may not be as good as others but they are all worth reading.

You should read books by Rainbow Rowell or Jay Asher. I recommend Fangirl and Eleanor and Park (Rainbow Rowell), and 13 Reasons Why (Jay Asher). I really enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars too!

Me Before You. One of the books that I can put in my books-to-read-before-I-die shelf. Haha. You should really read this. I recommend this. Badly.

Zee wrote: "I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Fault in Our Stars', and I would like to know if anyone can recommend some writers with a similar style and books with similar strength of characters. Thanks a lot for you..."

Try "Wonder" by R.J Palacio. I read it some time after TFiOS and I felt like it was the kind of book I wanted to read. It's about younger children, but I'd say it's equally bautiful.

Amanda Stephany Welcome :)
Mar 06, 2014 04:46PM

First love by James Patterson

There's a book by an up-coming British author called Matthew Crow, and the book is In Bloom. It's very, very similar to TFIOS, and I wouldn't be surprised if Crow actually got the inspiration from the book himself. If you fancy something very similar, I'd recommend that.
If not, try The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight by Jennifer E Smith. Smith is actually a Nerdfighter (vlogbrothers fan) and TSPOLAFS is a beautiful way of branching out into the style of John Green. :)

Ella Thanks very much for the recommendations - I'll definitely give In Bloom a go, it sounds great :)
Mar 03, 2014 11:03AM

I think that Nicholas Sparks writes amazing stories. His writing style is somewhat predictable, but it he has has wonderful storyline and strong characters that you can related to.

deleted member Apr 16, 2014 07:28AM   0 votes
Everything else by John Green: Looking for Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, Paper Towns, Will Grayson, Will Grayson (which he co-wrote with David Levithan)

And speaking of David Levithan, he's great too! Of his I especially recommend Every Day. Every Day changed my life.

Besides that, Rainbow Rowell (esp. Eleanor and Park), Maureen Johnson, Tim Tharp (Spectacular Now), and Ned Vizzini (It's Kind of a Funny Story) are all great YA authors that I love.

The Beginning of Everything, (also known as Severed Heads, Broken Hearts), by Robin Schneider. And if you haven't read them already, the other John Green novels

I agree with the Rainbow Rowell suggestion - my copy of Elanor & Park even had a John Green recommendation on it. Looking for Alaska is another John Green book which is quite similar. And maybe Ketchup Clouds or My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece? Definitely similar in terms of sadness, anyway!

'Alice Bliss' by Laura Harrington is very good

Eleanor and Park. Definitely.

looking for alaska minus the cancer

Before I Fall, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Every Day (David Leviathan), and anything else by John Green is guaranteed to make you laugh and cry

Priyanka (last edited Feb 21, 2014 01:44PM ) Feb 21, 2014 01:44PM   0 votes
Books similar to TFIOS:

How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr

My Life Next Door (My Life Next Door, #1) by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn

Really similar to "The Fault in Our Stars"?
Try "Tell the Wolves I'm Home" by Carol Rifka Brunt. :)

I'd definitely recommend all of Rainbow Rowell's books (Fangirl is a little more...happy than Eleanor & Park just as an FYI)

Also I'd say pick up The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay. It's fantastic.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Fault in Our Stars (other topics)
How to Save a Life (other topics)
My Life Next Door (other topics)
Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (other topics)