dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 481 comments Mod
July's Alternate Fantasy Selection

The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician Trilogy, #1) by Trudi Canavan

The Magicians' Guild
by Trudi Canavan

Discuss here!

Please warn at the beginning of your post if it contains spoilers so that people can scroll past it.

message 2: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (MindyBuchanan) | 159 comments I've already read this series. And I have to say I really enjoyed it. At first there was a lot of detail, and if you pick this one as your July read (or one of them) you might feel the same. The first book wasn't my absolute favorite, but it is easy to become attached to the characters and I highly recommend reading the entire series. The third book was my favorite.

Also, she's written a sort of prequel that takes place hundreds of years before this series called The Magician's Apprentice. It's also excellent. But it does help to have read these first for some strange reason. Or at least I thought it did.

message 3: by Reema (new)

Reema | 142 comments The second trilogy she did is really good as well. It's called the Age of Five.

message 4: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (MindyBuchanan) | 159 comments ooh. I'll have to check that out.

message 5: by Gisela (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 180 comments The third book was my favorite as well, although the ending was a bit disappointing. However, the series is well worth reading.

message 6: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (MindyBuchanan) | 159 comments Gisela, have you read The magician's Apprentice? I really liked it.

message 7: by Reema (new)

Reema | 142 comments I have and there is another trilogy coming out set after the Black Magician triology

message 8: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (MindyBuchanan) | 159 comments I saw that on her website. But I don't think she's written it yet.

message 9: by Reema (new)

Reema | 142 comments Nope first one comes out next year i think.
Any one heard of this one?
Magie by Trudi Canavan
I can't seem to find it anywhere?

message 10: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 481 comments Mod
Reema wrote: "Nope first one comes out next year i think.
Magie by Trudi Canavan
I can't seem to find it anywhere?"

I think it's the same book but in another language?

message 11: by Gisela (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 180 comments Mindy wrote: "Gisela, have you read The magician's Apprentice? I really liked it."

Not yet, it's on my TBR pile.

message 12: by Reema (new)

Reema | 142 comments Alethea wrote: "Reema wrote: "Nope first one comes out next year i think.
Magie by Trudi Canavan
I can't seem to find it anywhere?"

I think it's the same book but in another language?"

Duh of course, hat makes total sense!!!! No wonder i couldn't find it anywhere.
I think my brain sells are dying!!!!
At east school has finished so no more kids for 7 weeks - YAY! :o)

message 13: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (MindyBuchanan) | 159 comments Reema wrote: "Nope first one comes out next year i think.

What's it called?

message 14: by Reema (new)

Reema | 142 comments The trilogy is called The Traitor Spy Trilogy

Book 1: The Ambassadors’ Mission
Book 2: The Rogue
Book 3: The Traitor Queen

message 15: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 41 comments Just finished the book this morning. Found it enjoyable and a relatively quick read. My favorite character was Rothen. He is just such a good and "safe" feeling person. Very parental. Faren was a likable character, as well, yet I did not feel that was really the best way to flesh him out. He was in enough of the story (granted, for short periods) that I would have liked to see a bit of the "harder" part of him. Certainly he did not rise in the ranks by being such a "great guy" all the time. I know sending Cery on jobs was probably suppose to fulfill that but even the murder he requested from Cery was a pretty honorable one. I don't know what I really wanted to see about him in the story to do this; maybe some intimidation or impatience or something....

message 16: by Mara (new)

Mara | 14 comments I liked the book, but didn't feel a huge compulsion to finish the series. I guess I was expecting things to go a little further than they did. All in all, I enjoyed the story.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Magicians' Guild (other topics)
The Magician's Apprentice (other topics)
Magie (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Trudi Canavan (other topics)