I Love Canadian Authors discussion

Favorite Canadian Author > Favourite Canadian Author & Genre

Comments (showing 1-50 of 68) (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) | 419 comments Mod
I think the title speaks for itself. My favorite genre is horror, of course. I don't have a favorite Canadian author. Please recommend for me.

message 2: by Ali (last edited Jul 06, 2009 07:04PM) (new)

Ali | 37 comments Mod
My favorite, favorite is Robert Munsch...I remember him coming to my school and reading to us, and him playing his guitar while singing to us!
I Love, love his books, and have read all of them, and most of them as an adult!
I lean towards the Children's Books for fun!

:)

message 3: by Renee (new)

I do love Robert Munsch - really? that's how it's spelled. I have several Canadian children's authors that I love. But so far no Horror authors. Anyone? I'm sure I've read them, but I didn't ask their location at the time.

message 4: by Ali (new)

Ali | 37 comments Mod
I don't know of any Canadian Horror Authors...we'll have to look them uP.

Have you read any of Children's Author Dan Gutman's books? He writes such great stories...There is actually a challenge that runs from July 1st through July 1st the next year called, Canadian Books Reading Challenge...read 13 Canadian Authors' Books within the year and give a brief summary...I am reading Mr. Munsch <- yes, that's how it's spelled! and Mr. Gutman!

I will post the link that was sent to me...

message 5: by Ali (new)

Ali | 37 comments Mod
From my friend, Teddy

'I love discovering new Canadian Authors. Do you know about the Canadian Books Reading Challenge? It's hosted by John of The Book Mine Set.'

http://bookmineset.blogspot.com

message 6: by Renee (new)

INteresting. I'll have to look at it more when I'm actually awake and my brain is functioning properly.

message 7: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 72 comments My favourite Canadian author is Guy Gavriel Kay and he writes in my favourite genre, fantasy.

message 8: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 72 comments My favourite Canadian author is Guy Gavriel Kay and he writes in my favourite genre, fantasy.

message 9: by Renee (new)

I'll have to check him out. i like fantasy too. This is great, I'm getting lots of great authors I didn't even know about.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 55 comments Renee wrote: "I think the title speaks for itself. My favorite genre is horror, of course. I don't have a favorite Canadian author. Please recommend for me."

Fave canadian author is Farley moowatt also liked Margaret Lawrence.--stone angel

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 55 comments A. F. wrote: "My favourite Canadian author is Guy Gavriel Kay and he writes in my favourite genre, fantasy.

"
I i loved the Finnovar tapestry

message 12: by Renee (new)

Oh I love Margaret Lawrence. I didn't know she was Canadian. I'm so out of the loop on this.

message 13: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 72 comments Karen, my favourite books of his are Sailing to Sarantium and Lord of Emperors.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 55 comments
Renee
Yes and she lived in Lakefield just north of Peterborough before she died-- Dad took my pic in front of her house. Wish I still had it.

AF--haven't read those yet --will have to check them out.

message 15: by Renee (new)

Really? That close. Well I'm disgusted with myself. i never read the about the author pages. I should start doing that.

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 237 comments Mod
Hmm, off the top of my head my favourite Canadian authors are:

Historical Fiction Sandra Gullard eg. The Josephine Bonaparte Collection The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B., Tales of Passion, Tales of Woe, and The Last Great Dance on Earth

Funny reading:

Stuart McLean eg.Stories from the Vinyl Cafe

Bitterweet funny:

Miriam Toews

General Fiction:

Alistair McLeod No Great Mischief A Novel
Ami McKay The Birth House

Oh I forgot about this bittersweet funny one:
Edward Riche

Rare Birds
and Mary Lawson and Katherine Govier write good books.

So these are some that get overshadowed by the big name writers from Canada.

message 17: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 72 comments Another favourite of mine is Howard Engel, but not for his mysteries (which I have not yet read), but for his non-fiction crime books. I loved Lord High Executioner: An Unashamed Look at Hangmen, Headsmen, and Their Kind and Crimes of Passion: An Unblinking Look at Murderous Love

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 55 comments Shannon wrote: "Hmm, off the top of my head my favourite Canadian authors are:

Historical Fiction Sandra Gullard eg. [book:The Josephine Bonaparte Collection The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B., ..."

Love Stuart Mclean stuff

message 19: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (AndreaBarrett) | 1 comments My favourite (don't you just love how American sites consider Canadian spelling as mistakes?) Canadian Author would be Timothy Findley. I love his words.
When I was younger I enjoyed Margaret Atwood as well but I've not enjoyed her latest works. I don't enjoy Science Fiction. I enjoy Findley's use of real people as fictional characters. "Famous Last Words" was my favourite Findley novel.

message 20: by Renee (new)

I'll have to check that out Andrea, it sounds interesting.

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenzeppelin) | 1 comments Irving Layton, hands down. Since I discovered his works as a young girl, years and years ago, my life has never been the same. Of course, from there, I spiraled off into various Canadian poets and authors. If I started listing off all of my favourites, I'd be here for hours. Margaret Atwood is worth noting as she has greatly influenced me, not only as a woman but as a writer. I think we've produced some of the finest authors in the world. I'm so proud, and in awe, of our literary geniuses.

message 22: by Renee (new)

Yes, now that I'm finding more and more Canadian authors and realizing some I've loved all along are Canadian, I'm proud as well. We have some great minds freezing up here.

message 23: by Ali (new)

Ali | 37 comments Mod
Atwood and Layton for sure, Jen!

:)

message 24: by Mark (new)

Mark Victor Young (markvictoryoung) | 19 comments My favourite Canadian author is Michael Ondaatje, although strangely enough Paul Quarrington is a close second. It's also hard to leave out Margaret Atwood and Douglas Coupland and reading some of the above posts reminded me of how great Howard Engel is. All this by way of saying I don't have a favourite genre. "In the Skin of a Lion" is one of my favourite books of all time.

message 25: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) I'm with you, Mark, on Ondaatje. He blows my mind. I also dig Findley, Kay, Atwood, Richard Harrison (poet), and Richler. Oh...I can't forget Maurice Sendak!

message 26: by Renee (new)

Wow Brad. You gave me a whole list to check out. Thanks.

message 27: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) My pleasure, Renee.

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (booklust) | 11 comments Hi My name is Cindy and I am new to the group. I have three favorite Canadian Authors. One being Pauline Gedge, who is from Alberta, and writes primarily Historical Fiction based on ancient Egypt. I also like Kelly Armstrong who is from Ontario, and writes Paranormal Fantasy and mystery. The third is Sarah B Franklin, from Calgary, her take on the Trojan War is one of the best piece I have read on that period.

message 29: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 72 comments I've read a book or two by Pauline Gedge; an excellent writer.

Cindy wrote: "Hi My name is Cindy and I am new to the group. I have three favorite Canadian Authors. One being Pauline Gedge, who is from Alberta, and writes primarily Historical Fiction based on ancient Egypt. ..."

message 30: by Renee (new)

Cindy and A.F;

I'm going to check out Pauline Gedge. I love anything on Ancient Egypt. Recommendations?

message 31: by Renee (new)

Cindy and A.F;

I'm going to check out Pauline Gedge. I love anything on Ancient Egypt. Recommendations?

message 32: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (booklust) | 11 comments House of Dreams, was the book the got me hooked and the sequel House of Illusions, was an excellent wrap up to the story. The Lords of Two Lands Trilogy was great as well. If you are looking for stand alone books, Scroll of Saqqara and The Twelfth Transforming, were both pretty good. I really liked Child of the Morning as well. Her latest series, The Kings Men, with Twice Born and the Seer of Egypt were both excellent.
My favorite by her is The Eagle and the Raven, which is about the struggle by the Celts to repel Caesar's forces from the British Isles.

message 33: by Renee (new)

Thanks Cindy, that should give me a good start. I marked the Seer of Egypt I think. I'll go back and look for the rest.

message 34: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (booklust) | 11 comments Seer of Egypt is the second book in that series, Twice Born is the first. This is one of those stories that will not make sense read out of order.

message 35: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (booklust) | 11 comments I like Guy Gavrel Kay as well, but I prefer his older work, some of the newer ones, with time travel I don't find as interesting. Last Light of Sun was brilliant though.

message 36: by Renee (new)

Oh I hate that. I like books that stand alone. i'll read them though, it might be worth the frustration. Guy Gavrel Kay, I assume science fiction if it's time travel?

message 37: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (booklust) | 11 comments It is well worth reading them both. I prefer series because you don't have to say good bye to characters that I have fallen for and then I do not have to let go. I do have to wait a year or so.

Guy Gavrel Kay, writes alternative historical fictions, and some do use time travel between modern day and periods he is writing about. He has a style that is hard to define.

message 38: by Renee (new)

I'll check him out too, thanks Cindy.

message 39: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 72 comments My favourite is The Eagle and the Raven, too.

Cindy wrote: "House of Dreams, was the book the got me hooked and the sequel House of Illusions, was an excellent wrap up to the story. The Lords of Two Lands Trilogy was great as well. If you are looking for st..."

message 40: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (booklust) | 11 comments Renee, I was reading through the comments, and was noticing that you like Horror, you will probably enjoy Kelley Armstrong as she is classified as horror, as is Tanya Huff (Toronto/Werewolves). I have not read any of Huff's work, but I know a lot of people really enjoy them, and they have spawned a TV show.

message 41: by Renee (new)

Thanks Cindy. Yes I absolutely love a good horror book. I will definitely check them out.

message 42: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (booklust) | 11 comments Kelley Armstrong's, Women of the Underworld series has a huge following, and they extremely well written.

message 43: by Renee (new)

I like that title. Going to tag it right now so I don't forget.

message 44: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (booklust) | 11 comments Women of the Underworld just describes the series. The series starts out with Bitten, about Elena a Torontonian that is bitten and turned by her lover, then is followed by stolen. Then the books strarting with Dime Store Magic, follow Paige a witch. Haunted starts the books that star Jaime a necrromancer that communicates with spirits of the departed.
They all ineract with one and other in the series, but not always, that is the great thing about Armstrong. She has weres, vamps, demons, witches, necromancers.

message 45: by Renee (new)

I like that, I assumed by Underworld it meant those types of stories. Just a note, I checked them out and they're actually Women of the Otherworld. If anyone is looking for them. They sound really good. I can't wait to pick one up.

message 46: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (booklust) | 11 comments Yes, I stand corrected, that is what I get for trying to do to many things at once. I am on three different books sights at the moment. Let me know how you like them when you get a chance to read them.

message 47: by Renee (new)

I know, I get them wrong a lot too. It's hard to keep track of everything. I will definitely post a review once I read them.

message 48: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 237 comments Mod
Cindy wrote: "I like Guy Gavrel Kay as well, but I prefer his older work, some of the newer ones, with time travel I don't find as interesting. Last Light of Sun was brilliant though."

Wow, a) I didn;t know Guy Gavrel Kay was Canadian and b) I haven't read his stuff in years - kind of forgot about him.

What a great list, lots of names that I don't know, but will become acquainted soon. Thanks

message 49: by Natashya (new)

Natashya KitchenPuppies | 7 comments I am partial to Carol Shields. I love her writing. I know she was born in the States, but she lived here.
She was a great story teller.

message 50: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Paul Quarrington, unfortunately, has inoperable lung cancer, and it looks like he's decided to quit writing. Whale Music is a favourite of mine.

Apart from those already mentioned, here's some more I like:
Joseph Boyden
Lynn Coady
Craig Davidson
Bill Gaston
Rawi Hage
Mark Anthony Jarman
Pasha Malla

Robert Sawyer is a Canadian sci fi author of note, though I've only read one of his books.

I hear very good things about John McFetridge, who is often compared to Elmore Leonard.

« previous 1