♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

This topic is about Fangirl
Group Reads > Fangirl

Comments (showing 1-37 of 37) (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited Feb 04, 2014 05:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer (IvashkovLover) | 3348 comments Mod
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

From the author of the New York Times bestseller Eleanor & Park.

A coming-of-age tale of fan fiction, family and first love.

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan . . .

But for Cath, being a fan is her life — and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?

Leahxx (heyitsleahxx) | 12 comments This is one of my favorite books ever. It's so good and I can relate to it so much! This is what I want my college experience to be like, obviously it's not likely because it's a book, but still... I can dream haha. I hope you all love this book as much as I do!!

Rachel (Nimyue) | 2 comments Just got my copy from the library. I'll be starting soon!

message 4: by T.J. (new) - added it

T.J. | 114 comments I WANT TO READ THIS SO BAD!

message 5: by Camila (new) - added it

Camila (CLReads) | 10 comments I'm going to try and start tomorrow, if not then over the weekend :D
Really excited cause I just finishes Eleanor & Park and enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to see what Rainbow does in this book.

message 6: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

I loved this! I really connected to a lot of her college experiences although social phobia would not keep me from food. lol I would eat. Parts of her twin reminded me of college too although I didn't party in that extreme. It is good that the twins make other friends but it was sad that they grew apart but I liked the way they learned and grew and came back together at the end. Levi was really sweet although I don't think I could ever date an ex of a roommate and friend. That is just too weird for me. Her roommate was so cool about it I would not have been. I loved how Cath fangirled and it reminded of every being crazy about Harry Potter. Even though I have never written fan fiction I really understood her passion for the story.

Lena Warner | 28 comments Loved this book so much! I could really relate to Cath! I loved all the characters, they all had their own unique personality. This book was funny, heart warming but also made me teary. So good!

Jennifer | 3 comments I just read this in January. Absolutely loved it.

Daniela Beley (dannykat) | 6 comments Just finished the book. It was amazing and I would definitely recommend it to everybody

Marybeth (narutofan14) I read this before Christmas break, you will love it. I liked it so much i decied to try out Eleanor and Park. Fangirl is better i think.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Fangirl is so good! I love Rainbow Rowell :)

Rachael Mcdonnell | 5 comments My local Library Director just recommended this to me! Looking forward to giving it a try.

message 13: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda | 3 comments I listened to this as an audiobook and it was amazing! I told my friends they have to read it! So good!

Michelle (Misah) | 17 comments My expectations were very high and I was disappointed after reading it. The love story was too soft and in the end a lot of questions unanswered…I haven’t read Eleonar & Park, yet, but I bet it’s better.

Wendy (WENDY3636) | 4 comments This book was great to read. I really enjoyed it and I think it really captures what it's like in the mind of fan-fiction writers or any writer. I really wished it kept going because the ending felt sort of sudden to me not bad but it felt unfinished but either way I really liked it and would definitely recommend.

Isabella (Isaaxx) | 3 comments I loved this book, I feel like I can relate to the main character, even though I'm not as extreme as she is :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Eleanor and Park now, and once I finish it, I will move on to Fangirl! I love Eleanor and Park so far and can't wait to read Fangirl and join the conversation more!

Mariah Wilson | 4 comments Such a cute story!! But that ending!!!... :( I wanted to know more!

message 19: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - rated it 5 stars

I wanted to know more too. I was really looking forward to the end of her Simon & Baz fanfic!

Nicqui | 7 comments This book felt like Rainbow Rowell has been secretly watching me for years and cataloging my missteps - complete with fanfiction writing, social anxiety and (sometimes) putting fanfiction above my schoolwork (read as misstep). With the exception of the family dynamics this book is my life. I could feel my Harry Potter fangirl cheer and swoon at all the right places. This book felt like another layer in the comforting blanket of my childhood that Harry Potter has been for many years. It automatically jumped to the top of the list and now feels like a companion read to the HP series.

As for Levi... Are there even words besides 'want' and 'need'?

Thelilyfy | 5 comments I really ADORE this book! Was not keen on Cath at first (maybe because we are so alike, idk) but she grew on me. Gonna read Eleanor & Park soon -- finally got my hands on it!

message 22: by Ebs (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ebs (Sassy_ebs) | 6 comments I just love her writing...and her characters... They are just so real... Wish I read this book when I was in college

Nicqui | 7 comments Ebony wrote: "I just love her writing...and her characters... They are just so real... Wish I read this book when I was in college"

Yes, exactly! The realness and normalcy of Rowell's characters is amazing. After reading Fangirl and falling in love with her characters I dashed off to read Attachments and it was just as brilliant. I now have a bunch of Rowell's characters camping out in my head. I'm looking forward to reading Eleanor and Park now.

krisus noona (krisusnoona) | 4 comments i've read this book last year and I LOVE IT , MUST READ GUYS =)))

message 25: by Pie (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pie (pieintara) | 1 comments i just finished reading it!!!!!!! So awesome and RELATABLE!!! MUST READ!!!!

not spam
i promise <3

Crystal | 1 comments It was really good!

Quynh (_quynht) | 1 comments I just finished reading this last night, and it was so good! The whole book was just so relatable! Everyone should definitely read :)

krisus noona (krisusnoona) | 4 comments i just really LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS , it taught me how to be brave when you dont have/think you got nobody else to , how to stand up on your own ,and learn new things , teens should read this =))

love you rainbow hahah she's like my mother and john green is my father .. lol

Maryanne Grabo (MaryanneGrabo) | 8 comments I just bought it in hardcover. Can't wait for my B&N package to reach my door!

Irena | 58 comments i finished this book yesterday. it was good but i didn't find it fascinating as other readers did. i was still enyojing reading it although as closer to the end i was i started skipping parts with buz and simon. i just wasn't interested enough.
i like cath's roomate the best.
i know nick should be kind of bad guy in the book but honestly i liked him.
and i could relate to wren, not cath.

Tracey (addicted_to_reading) | 107 comments Rainbow Rowell did not disappoint with this book. i thought Eleanor & Park was as good as it got but i actually liked this book a lot more. Cath is such an amazing character and i wish her story didn't have to end. i will definitely be rereading this for when i need a pick me up.

Funmbi (the-book-was-better) I just started reading it! It's good so far is I have high hope for it! :)

Reading Wolf (readingwolfminda) | 26 comments I liked this book. I found the characters relatable and well rounded. I really loved the Simon Snow and Baz parts. It was a fun read.

message 34: by Maria (last edited Apr 26, 2014 01:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maria (mzaria) | 65 comments I didn't know there was a Fangirl thread! lol. I love this book with all my heart. Honestly there wasn't much of climatic plot but that wasn't needed as the readers get to see casually the every day life of these characters. It's fantastic from the realistic perspective. (Levi is the love of my life can I have him?)

Funmbi (the-book-was-better) I absolutely loved it! Cath is amazing and Levi is just asdfghjkl

Nicqui | 7 comments I agree completely, Maria. The plot was basically a peek into a small section of the lives of the characters. I don't know that you can get Levi to yourself because there's a rather long line and a bit of a wait but if you're willing to share I think we can set up a roster. :)

Maria (mzaria) | 65 comments Nicqui wrote: "I agree completely, Maria. The plot was basically a peek into a small section of the lives of the characters. I don't know that you can get Levi to yourself because there's a rather long line and a..."

As long as I get him in my life! AHAHA :D

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Eleanor & Park (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rainbow Rowell (other topics)