The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Summer Task Help

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) I need help finding a couple of things.

First, can someone help me find different authors that were born on January 11th, so far I can not find that many. I hate limited supplies of books.

Also for right now I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could find books with more than 955 pages.

Thanks!

Manday | 212 comments Born Jan 11th (according to Wikipedia)
Thomas Dixon (the one who wrote The Leopards Spot)
Oswald de Andrade
Jim Hightower
Jasper Fforde

As for Books over 1000 pages, I struggle to find a good list, but some ones I thought of -

War and Peace
Les Miserables
The Stand (Stephen King)
Gone with the Wind
Mists of Avalon
Infinite Jest

Emily The Count of Monte Cristo is over 1000 pages!

Petra X  (PetraX) 1.Anna Karenina by Tolstoy, a beautiful love story, but much deeper and containing a load of (IMHO) unnecessary philosophising about peasants that you can skip over. 1,080 pages.

2. James Clavell's Shogun (about 1,250 pages long which is a bargain for $8.99 paperback).

3. Tolkien's All-in-one Lord of the Rings, about 1,250 pages of fantasy if you like that kind of thing.

4. Vickram Seth's A Suitable Boy. About 1,250 pages. A mother looks for a suitable boy for her daughter to marry. Set in India just after independence and highly recommended.

5. Victor Hugo's huge 1300+ Les Misérables. Big hit musical for years in the UK, so there should be some nice music to go with it.

Grace (LovecraftLass) | 854 comments Some 100+ :

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George
The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George

El Alan Paton also shared your birthday - Cry, the Beloved Country.

Petra Here's Wikipedia's page for January 11th:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_11

I noticed an Irish Author (Brian Moore) and there may be others.

For the 900+ page book task, I had a look at the books in my TBR list. Goodreads almost always states the number of pages in a book. I found that Lonesome Dove had over 900 pages.

Cindy (CindyReeceakaLuLuBrown) I would highly recommend I Know This Much Is True. In fact I may reread it for the 900 challenge!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments More books over 1000 pages:

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke
Bleak House - Charles Dickens
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand