Witches, Weres, and Vamps, Oh MY! discussion

Group Read Discussions > City of Bones is our 9/1 Book!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 90) (90 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Shanon (last edited Jul 08, 2009 11:34AM) (new)

Shanon (Boban) | 1166 comments Mod
The kids are back to school and we're celebrating with a Young Adult Book

DISCUSSIONS FOR THIS BOOK WILL START 9/1 - if possible have the book read by then so that we can all discuss it at the same time. Discussions will remain open so if you are late reading it you can still join in.

Nominations will be open through the 13th. The poll will run through the 19th. We should know the book by 7/20 and will immediately start nominations for our October Group Read (discussions STARTING 10/1)

What happened to our August Group Read you ask... well, with the change in the timing of our group reads we decided having a discussion start 8/1 would be near impossible since the book hasn't been picked yet.

Rules for submissions:
1. One recommendation per member
2. The book needs to still be in print & readily available.
3. Needs to fit the theme of YOUNG ADULT

Nominations:
1. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
2. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare - #1 in the Mortal Instruments series
3. Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy #1 in the Skulduggery Pleasant series
4. Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison #1 in the Madison Avery series
5. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
6. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead - #1 in the Vampire Academy series
7. The Devouring by Simon Holt

Jan (authorsidekick) | 45 comments Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater - comes out 8/1

"For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever."

I read her debut, Lament, earlier this year and really loved her writing style.

Jessi  (JessiM) City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

[close:] When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

I was thinking of nominating the same book Jessi! Great minds think alike!

Jessi  (JessiM) Cool! I have been wanting to read it for months and haven't gotten around to it.

Kathryn (Kathry) I'm nominating Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. The reviews have been great and the ratings are high. Here is the description:

Meet Skulduggery Pleasant. Sure, he may lose his head now and again (in fact, he won his current skull in a poker match), but he is much more than he appears to be—which is good, considering that he is, basically, a skeleton. Skulduggery may be long dead, but he is also a mage who dodged the grave so that he could save the world from an ancient evil. But to defeat it, he'll need the help of a new partner: a not so innocent twelve-year-old girl named Stephanie. That's right, they're the heroes.

Stephanie and Skulduggery are quickly caught up in a battle to stop evil forces from acquiring her recently deceased uncle's most prized possession—the Sceptre of the Ancients. The Ancients were the good guys, an extinct race of uber-magicians from the early days of the earth, and the scepter is their most dangerous weapon, one capable of killing anyone and destroying anything. Back in the day, they used it to banish the bad guys, the evil Faceless Ones. Unfortunately, in the way of bad guys everywhere, the Faceless Ones are staging a comeback and no one besides our two heroes believes in the Faceless Ones, or even that the Sceptre is real.

So Stephanie and Skulduggery set off to find the Sceptre, fend off the minions of the bad guys, beat down vampires and the undead, prove the existence of the Ancients and the Faceless Ones, all while trading snappy, snippy banter worthy of the best screwball comedies. [close:]

message 7: by Kathryn (last edited Jul 05, 2009 11:20AM) (new)

Kathryn (Kathry) If we are short on nominations, there is another that I am sorely tempted to nominate...

Heather Brewster | 28 comments I am all for the cassandra clares City of Bones ,I own the series, love the series and would love to read them again. Shiver is a good choose too heard it was crazy good.

Melodie (MelodieCO) Once Dead, Twice Shy (Madison Avery, Book 1) by Kim Harrison by Kim Harrison.

Lily (Lilithesque) The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan.

A zombie ya book. I havent read it. I have heard buzz, but not that much. I am curious how one can make a young adult zombie book.

Take the brain eating off page??

Anyway, this is a ya on my tbr list.

TOO MANY books I want to read - I'm going to have a hard time picking!

Deanna (ibeeeg) so far I am liking the nominations. Not sure if I will add one...will think.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 07, 2009 12:23PM) (new)

Vampire Academy Vampire Academy 1 by Richelle Mead

St. Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school; it's a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St. Vladimir's, the very place where they're most in danger. . . .

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy's ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigos, the world's fiercest and most dangerous vampires make Lissa one of them forever.

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 132 comments I nominate The Devouring by Simon Holt
[image error]

Synopsis:
When Reggie finds an old journal and reads about the Vours, supernatural creatures who feast on fear and attack on the eve of the winter solstice, she assumes they are just the musings of some lunatic author. But soon, they become a terrifying reality when she begins to suspect that her timid younger brother might be one of their victims.

Risking her life and her sanity, Reggie enters a living nightmare to save the people she loves. Can she devour own her fears before they devour her?

Bone-chilling, terrifying, thrilling...what are you waiting for?

Heather Brewster | 28 comments that sounds very interesting, I'm goin to request that one from the library.. Thanks Shannon

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 132 comments Heather wrote: "that sounds very interesting, I'm goin to request that one from the library.. Thanks Shannon"

Sure, no problem! And I like your profile picture, gotta love Vishous.

Heather Brewster | 28 comments Yes he's yummy!!

The poll is up and will be open through the 19th.

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/19...

message 19: by The Holy Terror (last edited Jul 19, 2009 12:05PM) (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 132 comments Shanon wrote: "What happened to our August Group Read you ask... well, with the change in the timing of our group reads we decided having a discussion start 8/1 would be near impossible since the book hasn't been picked yet."

Is it possible we could do a poll for this, to find out if people here want to do a book for August even though it's so short notice? (I'll make it up if that's ok!)

Maybe we could put up a poll of the books that got nominated in July and didn't win? That way we'd already have nominations.

A lot of the groups I belong to are doing books I've already read so I don't have much going for August. I could be in the minority though, I don't know ...

We have The Demon's Librarian for our August Member's Choice.

The book we're voting on right now will start discussions on 9/1 so most people that are participating will read it in August so we can all start discussing it at the same time.

We can figure out if people want another book to read. It would just mean that we have 3 books to read for the group in August.

message 21: by The Holy Terror (last edited Jul 19, 2009 12:23PM) (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 132 comments Shanon wrote: "We have The Demon's Librarian for our August Member's Choice.

The book we're voting on right now will start discussions on 9/1 so most people that are participating will read it..."

Ok, I guess I was confused. I thought we were skipping August altogether for the group read (not the Member's Choice, I saw that one.) We're just not going to discuss anything until September, is that how it's going to go?

Basically.

The plan is for everyone (that is going to participate of course) to have read the book by the first of the month so we can all discuss it together easier. Right now Vampire Acadamy is in the lead. We'll start discussing this book 9/1 so hopefully you've already read it by then. I'm hoping we get some better discussions this way.

We're working our way up to knowing what books are going to be discussed 2 months in advance. The books that are posted on our home page as Currently Reading will actually be Currently Discussing. Of course, discussions won't be closed so if you read the book after the 1st you can still chime in.

We will start discussing September's Member Choice on the 9/15 and then the 15th of each month after that.

I hope this is clear - it's clear in my head but that doesn't really mean I am explaining it very well.

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 132 comments Shanon wrote: "I hope this is clear - it's clear in my head but that doesn't really mean I am explaining it very well."

Ok, it makes sense now. Thanks!

That's fine - I was actually writting up a schedule when I saw your post. I really hope it's clear for everyone between this discussion and the schedule.

If anyone has any questions about our group reads PLEASE let me know and I'll do my best to explain the workings of my inner mind :)

By the way - today's the last day to vote on our 9/1 book...

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/19...

The poll was REALLY close for our 9/1 book!

The winner is... City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. It's the first in the Mortal Instruments series followed by City of Ashes & City of Glass. I'm pretty sure the series is done - can anyone confirm that?

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) OKay, I'll try it. I'm next in line on the wait list at my local library.

Elvia (elvb) I've just requested this book from my library. I am #5 so it shouldn't be too long before I read it. I actually saw this at the book store but didn't have the money to buy it.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Even at amazon, used copies are going for just over $10 plus shipping so it isn't cheap yet. Must be hardcover only still, and fairly new.

Kathryn (Kathry) I've had this book for awhile. I'll probably start it sometime this week.

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 132 comments Briansgirl wrote: "Even at amazon, used copies are going for just over $10 plus shipping so it isn't cheap yet. Must be hardcover only still, and fairly new."

The first two books are in paperback.

City of Bones

City of Ashes

I've heard bad things about this series; how the author started writing fanfiction and how it shows in her writing, that the main character is a Mary Sue, and that a lot of the elements in the book seem to borrowed from other stories.

This review on Amazon is what ultimately turned me off from this series. There's also 24 other 1 star reviews over at Amazon if you want to read some more. And there's quite a few 1 star reviews here on goodreads as well.

So yeah, I'm less than excited about reading this one, although I do have a good friend at work that likes a lot of the same series as me that loves these books. I'm wondering if this is a case of you either love this series or you hate it. We've got the hardcover version of this one on the shelves at work so I can check it out if I want. I haven't decided if I'm going to give it a chance or skip it yet though.

I have a hard time relying on Amazon reviews. I have seen too many suspicious reviews to give them too much credit.

The average rating here on GoodReads is 4.10 as of today. It's the first book in the series which usually means it only gets better with future books so I'm hopeful for a good book/series.

Kathryn (Kathry) I'm the same with Amazon reviews, I no longer read them. And besides, even on Amazon the book has 4 stars. Most people on this site have rated the book 4 or 5 stars. Either, way, I'm planning on reading it because I know a few people who have really enjoyed the series. I hope no one is discouraged and that we have a good discussion about this book.

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 132 comments I don't really "rely" on reviews from any site. I'll read them and look at things subjectively. And like I said, there's a lot of 1 star reviews here on goodreads too, not just Amazon.

I wasn't trying to discourage anyone, just throwing out my reason for possibly not participating. A lot of people had problems with Sunshine when we were reading that, but I read it anyway and found out I enjoyed it a lot. I think that's really the only way you can find out if something is for you, to at least give it a chance, which is why I've been contemplating checking out this book and see if it lives up to the hype - good or bad.

And hey, different opinions can start some great discussions!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) OKay, the paperback version on Amazon is still just over $5 plus shipping ($3.99 if bought from used marketplace). Since I'm not sure I'll like it, I think I'll stick with the library's copy on this one. They don't have a wide variety of paranormal books so rather surprised they even had this one.

Different opinions are definately a good thing! In fact, some of my favortie reviews are from friends that hated a book I happened to like. I love to read a good rant every once in a while.

I hope you read the book with us

Melodie (MelodieCO) Just picked this up at Walmart over the weekend!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

nice i have wanted to read this book. :) i have had them on my shelf for a few months now.. i got them all at costco. i love buying books from them. there cheaper then the book store. :)

Renee (ElenaRenee) | 42 comments The more different opinions the more fun the discussion :)

message 40: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Jul 21, 2009 09:17PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Bored, so looked this all up. lol

This is the Mortal Instruments series.
First - City of Bones
Second - City of Ashes
Third - City of Glass

The author has reviews, excerpts, and deleted scenes for each book on her Official website.

Thanks Briansgirl!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Your welcome. Y'all might as well benefit from my being bored and not sleeping. lol

message 43: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Jul 23, 2009 11:35AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I was going to read this and have changed my mind based on rumors I heard about the author and my subsequent research. It seems the author, Cassandra Clare previously wrote fanfic under the name Cassandra Claire. There is a very long article at http://www.fanhistory.com/wiki/Cassan... that goes into details of StalkerGate, Plagarism, LaptopGate, etc. If even a portion of this is correct, then on principle I will not support the author and buy a copy of their book nor will I read the library's edition. The article says she solicited money from fans for fanfic, sold items without the proper copyrights, took money saying it would go to charity and then no charity was ever listed. Sorry folks, but this just doesn't sit well with me. So I've decided to skip this group read.

message 44: by The Holy Terror (last edited Jul 23, 2009 01:15PM) (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 132 comments Briansgirl wrote: "I was going to read this and have changed my mind based on rumors I heard about the author and my subsequent research. It seems the author, Cassandra Clare previously wrote fanfic under the name Ca..."

I read about that too, it's pretty incriminating stuff. I wasn't going to mention it considering people were already thinking I was trying to discourage people from reading this one.

If you read any of the reviews for this book a lot of people that have read her fanfic note that a lot of it also shows up in this book, although I'm not sure if it's the parts that she plagiarized or not. Either way, it just doesn't sit well with me.

message 45: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Jul 23, 2009 01:15PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Doesn't sit well with me either Shannon. The particular article I linked to seems to be fairly well documented and researched, with notes on where they got their information. So it isn't just one person's opinion. I was surprised the wikipedia entry for this author didn't mention a word about previous controversy of this authors unpublished works. (Then again since anyone can edit it, perhaps she had it removed). What surprises me most is with this kind of history, how did a legitimate publisher decide to publish this author? Would seem like a potential legal minefield.

And please don't think I want to start a heated debate over the author of the book. I'm just putting out here what I found and that it changed my opinion of the author enough I won't read her work now. Same thing happened when I read a wikipedia entry on a popular romance author Janet Dailey when it was discovered that she'd plagarized from Nora Roberts. Roberts took her to court where Dailey claimed it was because of medication she was on, etc. Even though I have 70+ books by Dailey (most notably her American series with one book from every state), I havn't wanted to read one since I read this, even though they aren't the books in question. Just turns me off on the author.

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 132 comments Briansgirl wrote: "Same thing happened when I read a wikipedia entry on a popular romance author Janet Dailey when it was discovered that she'd plagarized from Nora Roberts. Roberts took her to court where Dailey claimed it was because of medication she was on, etc."

Really? Medication made her do it? That's both funny and sad.

message 47: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Jul 23, 2009 01:35PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) My bad. It was a psychological disorder, not medication. For fairness of accuracy... here is the complete wikipedia paragraph from the page on Janet Dailey. (All the numbers in brackets are for where wikipedia is referencing their source information listed at the bottom of the page in question.)

Plagiarism
Dailey was sued in 1997 by fellow novelist Nora Roberts, who accused Dailey of copying her work for over seven years. The practice came to light after a reader read Roberts' Sweet Revenge and Dailey's Notorious back-to-back; she noticed several similarities and posted the comparable passages on the internet. Calling the plagiarism "mind rape," Roberts sued Dailey.[9:] Dailey acknowledged the theft and blamed it on a psychological disorder. She admitted that both Aspen Gold and Notorious lifted heavily from Roberts's work. Both of those novels were subsequently pulled from print.[10:][11:] In April 1998 Dailey settled the case. Although terms were not released, Roberts had previously indicated that any settlement funds should be donated to the Literacy Volunteers of America.[9:][12:]

In 2001, Dailey returned to publishing with a four-book deal with Kensington Books. The contract called for two books in the Calder series Dailey has written about a ranching family in Montana, and two books with holiday themes.[13:] Kensington expanded their relationship with Dailey in 2002, when she contracted for three more hardcover novels about the Calder family and an additional mass market original novel. At the same time, they purchased the reprint rights to 50 of her previously published romances.[14:]

Kathryn (Kathry) It took a bit but I fnally found a link that made sense to me. Others I read just seemed too confusing since I do not read fanfic and know nothing about the associated communities.

http://fanlore.org/wiki/Cassandra_Claire

I wish I had known about this. I have no interest in supporting an author who is guilty of plagiarism. I have dealt with excessive amounts of such behavior in school and I will not stand for it there, so I also will not let someone profit off of another's work. Thanks for the info.

I've been burned by plagiarism in school before (stupid group projects). I sincerely hope that the allegations aren’t true!

I'm off to read the links provided & searching some other stuff...

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Kathryn wrote: "Thanks for the info."

Your welcome Kathryn. I only recently discovered it. I'm not saying the book may not be good, but based on what I read I'm not going to support the author either.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Shiver (other topics)
City of Bones (other topics)
Skulduggery Pleasant (other topics)
Once Dead, Twice Shy (other topics)
The Forest of Hands and Teeth (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Maggie Stiefvater (other topics)
Cassandra Clare (other topics)
Derek Landy (other topics)
Simon Holt (other topics)