Supernatural Fiction Readers discussion

General Discussions > What (in the supernatural genre) are you reading right now?

Comments (showing 351-400 of 1,045) (1045 new)    post a comment »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 295 comments I'm glad to hear that, Becca. Skya, I'll be reading the first in The Mortal Instruments soon.

message 352: by Joel (new)

Joel (JoelArnold) | 14 comments I just started The Scrubs by Simon Janus (Simon Woods' pen name). Great read so far!

Joel Arnold

Becca (Goblinfan) | 200 comments I finished X-Rated Blood Suckers just a few minutes ago. It's not as good as the first one, the ending kinda had me confused. I didn't fully understand the motives of the killer. The next one looks to be better though.

message 354: by Mohammed (last edited Aug 30, 2010 03:34AM) (new)

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 40 comments Im reading Demon Deathchase (Vampire Hunter D, Vol. 3) by Hideyuki Kikuchi.

Its so fascinating reading a japanese take on vampire horror,it has a post apocalyptic setting that makes it different and its written like classic Gothic novels. Feels much older than a 80s series in a good way.

message 355: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 46 comments I just polished off my copy of 100 Ghastly Little Ghost Stories, a collection I acquired because it had a Nina Kiriki Hoffman story in it. The name isn't quite appropriate, since many of the stories in the book aren't ghastly at all.

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 40 comments Is someone else reading Demon Deathchase (Vampire Hunter D, Vol. 3) by Hideyuki Kikuchi ?

Since i see it listed in the group main page.

Werner | 1163 comments Mohammed, nobody else that I know of is reading it; but since I knew you currently were, I went ahead and posted it on the "currently reading" shelf. (I like to keep something on that shelf --it makes the page look less barren! :-))

message 359: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 1059 comments That book looks good, Lady D. Almost 400 ratings & carrying 4.22 stars!

I remember watching Vampire HunterD, the cartoon movie. Pretty good. Never knew there were books. Are they comic books?

message 360: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited Sep 03, 2010 06:48AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 295 comments I think you might like it, Jim.

I just finished Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael  Grant. I really enjoyed it.

message 361: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 1059 comments Looks interesting. Thanks. I put it on my BookMooch & PBS lists.

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 40 comments Jim wrote: "That book looks good, Lady D. Almost 400 ratings & carrying 4.22 stars!

I remember watching Vampire HunterD, the cartoon movie. Pretty good. Never knew there were books. Are they comic books?"

No they are world famous vampire horror series. Horror with SF setting,elements of western,heroic fantasy. Very interesting stuff tor read japanese take on Vampire myth,vampire hunter.

The movie was good but the books are darker,written more like horror.

message 363: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 1059 comments Thanks. I'll take a look.

Janice | 2 comments So many good books on this list...and not enough reading time. Sookie Stackhouse is definately a fun series.

Robert Dunbar | 24 comments Currently imbibing all the T.M. Wright books I can get my hands on!
A Manhattan Ghost Story
Strange Seed
Laughing Man

message 366: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 46 comments I just finished Corpse Whisperer, a mystery novel along the lines of Tru Calling. Grace Harmony is approaching her thirtieth birthday, and the loss of her powers to help the dead achieve justice, but her last case isn't cooperating, and she's getting more and more desperate to fix the past before she loses her ability to do so.

Sally | 3 comments I just finished Captivity by Deborah Crowe. Much too flowery and not enough scary. Now I'm reading The Tale of Halcyon Crane, a ghost story, esp kind of jumble, and I can't decide if I like it or not.

Shawn | 250 comments Finally finished Walter de la Mare's The Return and wrote a review nearly as long as the book.

Not much horror up next (anthology Sexuality and Masquerade: The Dedalus Book of Sexual Ambiguity) but will be buzzing through Dark Entries, which is the first time I've read some John Constantine in about 17 years.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 295 comments I just read The Wendigo by Algernon Blackwood yesterday. I quite enjoyed it. Currently reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

Rebecca (bexsi) I decided to give Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison another try as its the only book I have ever put down and never picked back up after starting to read, and I am glad I did as im enjoying it. I am halfway through Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater and I think its fantastic.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 158 comments I'm reading (sort of all at the same time so to speak) 3 short story collections, M.R.James Casting the Runes and a couple by Algernon Blackwood, "The Complete John Silence stories" and "Selected Tales". I'm also dragging myself through the Percy Jackson books, got them from the library and put them on (audio) when I go to bed.... Unfortunately they keep me awake, so far I haven't been that thrilled with them. I think I've been spoiled by several very good to excellent YA books, and these just, aren't.

Also about half way through The Magicians...jury's still out on it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 295 comments Rebecca, I read and enjoyed both of those.

Mike, I want to read all of those. I started Ghost Stories from an Antiquary, and I've read a couple/few by M.R. James. He's a master ghost story teller.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 158 comments I like him. Among other things I like the way he assume a certain amount of education and a certain level of intelligence (ability to think) in his readers. He doesn't spoon feed so to speak.

message 375: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 1059 comments I'm most of the way through A Kiss Before the Apocalypse by Thomas E. Sniegoski. So far, I'm not terribly impressed, but the supernatural/fantasy element isn't one of my favorites, but it's hard to handle. The Christian mythos of angels & demons doesn't have a lot of logic.

I thought I'd like it more because of the Raymond Chandler connection, though. Unfortunately, I somehow got the second book first, realized my mistake & then got the first. So after this, I'll have another to read. Maybe it will get better.

Dana * (QueenofEgypt) Has anybody read Book of Shadows Book of Shadows by Alexandra Sokoloff by Alexandra Sokoloff?

I am about halfway thru, but the tacked on sex scenes are annoying me. They add nothing to plot, and just seem like Harlequinn to me.

message 377: by [deleted user] (new)

The Haunting of Gad's Hall
I am reading it again. I like to read it at this time of year. Its scary but not terrifying.

Shawn | 250 comments I've been in the process of returning to Maryland after my extended Los Angeles sojourn and have finally achieved home-attude. I put Sexuality and Masquerade: The Dedalus Book of Sexual Ambiguity on hold and decided to dig into The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror: 18th Edition for some October/Halloween reading. Unfortunately, I had to put that on hold to read some story submissions and after plowing through those, found myself lacking the drive for almost any fiction. So, I regressed and have been perusing Zombie Factory: 27 Tales of Bizarre Comix Madness from Beyond the Tomb, which collects some of the delightfully awful, fiendishly lurid horror comics put out in the 70's by EERIE PUBLICATIONS (no relation to Jim Warren's CREEPY and EERIE magazines, except that EERIE PUBLICATIONS only ever wished they had artists and writers as good as Warren). While they are exceedingly stupid, they are also charmingly bloodthirsty and have made me decide to re-examine the horror comics reading of my youth.

message 379: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 1059 comments I've finally returned to The Dresden Files & am reading Summer Knight, the 4th book. It's OK. This is one of the few cases where I think I liked the TV show every bit as much.

Tiffian Eliz (TiffianEliz) | 15 comments Over the summer I read The Historian. Well let me be honest, it took the whole summer for me to read it! That is a really, really long book. I wasn't crazy about the ending though. Not enough impact for my taste.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 158 comments Hi Tiffian, I was disappointed in that book to, especially since I started it looking for it to be so much better. Oh well, it happens.

Werner | 1163 comments Long books as such don't bother me, as long as I stay interested in what I'm reading. When I read The Historian a couple of years ago, it did hold my interest, and I really liked the style and handling of the subject (granted, I have odd tastes :-) ). But I'm with Tiffian in not being crazy about the ending; I felt that Kostova dropped the ball there in a very disappointing way. For me, the epilogue turned what had been a five-star rating into a three-star one!

message 384: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 01, 2010 09:33AM) (new)

Almost done with Magician (The Riftwar Saga, #1-2) by Raymond E. Feist by Raymond E. Feist. Ive been abit slow with it, but thats not because its not good! It had abit of a slow point abit over halfway in the book, but i really like it. Its the first one i read from Raymond E. Feist and i have a feeling ill continue reading his books

message 385: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 1059 comments I really liked that series, Louise. Make sure you read the Empire trilogy right after Magician & before any others by Feist. He & Janny Wurts wrote that trilogy together & it is excellent!

Ankit Agrawal | 12 comments I'm reading the Demonata series, and its pretty good so far. If anyone's interested, here's the 1st book Lord Loss Lord Loss (The Demonata, #1) by Darren Shan

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 158 comments Discord's Apple and Hosts then there's the straight fantasy reads that may not fit the paradigm here. :)

message 388: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 1059 comments I just got Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher, best known for the Dresden Files. I don't know when I'll get to reading it, though.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 158 comments I like this series, it bears little or no resemblance to the Dresden series (which are among my favorite books). I'm up to the fifth now, which I hope to "clear space on my currently reading list for" soon. Hope you like them.

Werner | 1163 comments I'm joining in our group's (strictly voluntary) common read for this month, Norah Lofts' Gad's Hall (you may have seen posts about that on other threads, if you follow them). Not sure how much participation we'll have, but I think it'll be an enjoyable read.

message 391: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 1059 comments I have a copy of Gad's Hall on its way. Hopefully I'll get to it in time.

Werner | 1163 comments Hey, Jim, it'll be cool if you can join in on this; thanks! (Don't know if the book will be exactly your cup of tea --but we can always use a critical perspective, too!) We won't read it exactly in tandem, since Alice has already read it several times and the rest of us will be getting our copies at various times (and read at various speeds). Anytime in November will be fine --and like all these threads, that one will stay permanently active for anyone who wants to comment later.

message 393: by Joan (new)

Joan (chitchatchix) | 6 comments Hi, I'm reading Midnight Rising (Midnight Breed #3) by Lara Adrian. After this, it'll be book 4. It's pretty cool though it's not really that much lovable.

Lara Adrian's style in writing is not that excellent. But I love the twists at the end. It makes me finish the book faster. Though, in the middle, it's not as enticing as most books are.

Becca (Goblinfan) | 200 comments Started re-reading Dracula by Bram Stoker. I'm reading 3 other books right now for a challenge in a different group, but I needed a break. Something non-challenge to read. Big surprise: I suck at reading challenges. This'll teach me...

Saimir (TheIllyrian) | 6 comments I just started the hunger games(Suzanne Collins) i`ve been told it is a very good serie so im giving it a try hope it is good , it`s been some time since i read a good serie

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 158 comments I like the first two of the series, though I was seriously disappointed with the last... if I say any more, it'll be a spoiler. LOL Hope you enjoy it.

Saimir (TheIllyrian) | 6 comments I finished the first one i didnt like it much but not a total disapointement, so im going forward with the next one hope it gets better

message 398: by Shawn (last edited Nov 12, 2010 02:14PM) (new)

Shawn | 250 comments Finished The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 18 and wrote my gargantuan review. Also finished the bizarre, bottom-tier 70's horror comic collection Zombie Factory: 27 Tales of Bizarre Comix Madness from Beyond the Tomb and wrote an equally gargantuan (Brown Gargantua vs Green Gargantua - WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS!) review.

I'm steeping away from modern horror for a bit so I'm going to muddle through Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics.

Sherry (Luigismom) | 4 comments I started reading Coven by J. R. Ward. The theme is about fallen angels, finished the first book and really enjoyed it.

Patrick (wingkon) | 7 comments Currently reading Grave Witch. It's about witchcraft and dark magic :)