The Book Thief The Book Thief discussion

Top 5 books you would recommend

Comments (showing 1-50 of 103) (103 new)    post a comment »

Kathy With this winter weather, that can mean some "extra" reading time. Thoughts on your top 5 recommendations?
Mine...in no order....are:
1. Book Thief
2. Deadly Benefits
3. Calling Me Home
4. Nineteen Minutes
5. Light Between Oceans
All are a little bit different and all by different authors.

Teresa Revolutionary Road
Love in the Time of Cholera (very warming!)
A Confederacy of Dunces
Cold Mountain
The Cuckoo's Calling

message 3: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda The Rosie Project
Marjorie Morningstar
A Prayer For Owen Meany
Lonesome Dove
Catch-22

Kathy I have to say that I haven't heard of any of these....will add them to my list :) Thanks so much.

message 5: by Sammy (new) - added it

Sammy Young 1.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared Though I've not read it myself yet but I've heard amazing reviews on it so I recently purchased it and can't wait to read it :)
Little Women
The Bell Jar
Before I Die

message 6: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda cathy, The Rosie Project is laugh-out-funny. It's about a geneticist gooking for a wife. He writes out a survey to see who will fit with him. This from someone who buys the same food each week. Enter Rosie.
Marjorie Morningstar was a book I read as a teen-ager, and I knew I didn't want to be like her.
Catch -22 is funny, very funny, and it's also serious. Who wants to fly anothere mission in WWII when Germans are shooting your plane down? The number of missions you had to fly grew and the book got funnier. Lonesome Dove won the Pulitzer Prize. It's about herding cattle from Texas up to Montana. Each characater is unique, and it's more than just a cowboy story. You really feel for these people. Two of the scenes were so intense they were surreal. As I think about the book today, I can still feel those two scenes.A Prayer For Own Meany is by John Irving. It's funny and sad. Owen has a purpose in life.
Hope I was of help.

Drew Cernava 1. Delirium
2. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
3. The Fault in Our Stars
4. Inkheart
5. The Knife of Never Letting Go

If I could add three more, I'd recommend The Book Thief, The Mysterious Benedict Society, and The Hobbit. If you guys haven't read any of these, I highly recommend you go add them to your to-read shelves NOW.

Mcstay 1. I know This Much is True
2. The Poisonwood Bible
3. The Prince of Tides
4. The Book Thief
5. Borderland

Selma 1.The Fault in Our Stars
2.The Book Thief
3.Dear John
4.Me Before You
5.Clockwork Angel

Kathy Linda wrote: "cathy, The Rosie Project is laugh-out-funny. It's about a geneticist gooking for a wife. He writes out a survey to see who will fit with him. This from someone who buys the same food each week. Ent..."

Linda wrote: "cathy, The Rosie Project is laugh-out-funny. It's about a geneticist gooking for a wife. He writes out a survey to see who will fit with him. This from someone who buys the same food each week. Ent..."

Thank you very much Linda....that is a huge help...I have really enjoyed the Goodreads as a means finding good book ideas...and your summaries are a wonderful help....I'm thinking the Rosie Project will be on my very short soon-to-read list :) Thank you.

message 11: by Linda (new) - rated it 1 star

Linda Kelly 1. Chocolat
2. Nights at the Circus
3. The Book of Human Skin
4. The Blackheath Seance Parlour
5. The Night Circus

Hard to name just 5, got so many more favourites would love to recommend.

Kathy Drew wrote: "1. Delirium
2. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
3. The Fault in Our Stars
4. Inkheart
5. The Knife of Never Letting Go

If I..."

Thank you....very interesting list :)

Kathy Mcstay wrote: "1. I know This Much is True
2. The Poisonwood Bible
3. The Prince of Tides
4. The Book Thief
5. Borderland"

OK....can't say I much about these either...but will sure look into them. Thank you :)

Kathy Sammy wrote: "1.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared Though I've not read it myself yet but I've heard amazing ..."

OK...sounds good. I only remember reading "Little Women" and not much else about it...but I do remember that I had very much enjoyed that book :) Will add your list to mine. Thank you.

Kathy Selma wrote: "1.The Fault in Our Stars
2.The Book Thief
3.Dear John
4.Me Before You
5.Clockwork Angel"

Thank you Selma....I read Dear John too...and that is definitely a favorite book too :)

message 16: by Spa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Spa 1. Revolution - jennifer donnelly
2. Pride and Prejudice - jane austen
3. Fault in our Stars - john green
4. Dibs in Search of Self - margaret axline
5. Frederica - georgette heyer

Vicky Kern Very difficult to choose but I'm seeing some great ones above. I could easily come up with 5 others but here are are some favs:

1. Middlesex
2. The Book Thief
3. A Prayer for Owen Meany
4. Grapes of Wrath
5. The Fault in Our Stars

Kathy Interesting for both Spa and Vicky....I have read Fault in Our Stars...and a very good book too. Thank you for your ideas :) This is the 2nd post I've see with A Prayer for Owen Meany....will definitely add that to a "must-read" list. Thank you.

Sarah Not including The Book Thief,

1 Looking For Alaska by John Green
2 Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher
3 The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
4 Me Against You by Jenny Downham
5 Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Brynn the Book Lover 1)The Darkest Minds
2)Clockwork Angel
3)The Lightning Thief
4)Legend
5)The Hunger Games...or maybe harry potter...

Cinthya Mori 1. The Fault in our stars
2. The name of the wind
3. The Hobbit
4. Harry Potter
5. Percy Jackson

Saxonjus The Book Thief

Dissolutions

To Kill A Mocking Bird

The Kitchen House

Wolf Hall

Marilyn Alberta and Jacob by Cora Sandel
Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
The Maid's Version by Daniel Woodrell
Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

Sammy 1. The fault in our stars
2. The Alchemist series
3. Percy Jackson
4. The selection
5. Divergent

Susan Mcstay wrote: "1. I know This Much is True
2. The Poisonwood Bible
3. The Prince of Tides
4. The Book Thief
5. Borderland"

Love you first four choices, but never read Borderline. I guess I should look into it, since I think so highly of the first four.

Karyn Niedert 1. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
2. Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell
3. This Dark Road to Mercy by Wiley Cash
4. Keeping Watch by Laurie R. King
5. Watchers by Dean R. Koontz

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

1) Between the Lines
2) The Book Thief
3) The Host
4) Alex Rider Series
5) Hm..Infernal Devices series.

message 28: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 23, 2014 11:02PM) (new) - added it

Stephanie Gonzalez MY LIST:

1.Anything with Kristen Ashley
2.Making Faces
3.Hopeless Read the whole series
4.More Than This
5.Ruin

message 29: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 23, 2014 11:03PM) (new) - added it

Stephanie Gonzalez MY LIST:

1.Anything with Kristen Ashley
2.Making Faces
3.Hopeless Read the whole series
4.More Than This
5.Ruin

message 30: by Ruth (new) - added it

Ruth I would recommend Me Before You, The Night Circus and Redshirts These were the best books I've read this year. I would also recommend A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail only because it's laugh out loud funny.

Mdaly 1. Seabiscuit, whether you like horse racing or not, and I don't, an incredible story well told.
2. The Road, Cormac McCarthy, a morality tale in a time of no morals.
3. Never Let Me Go, a great story about what it is to be human when the world wants to make you a commodity.
4. The Damned Utd., funny fictional book about Brian Clough's time in charge of Leeds Utd. You don't need to be a football fan to enjoy this.
5. The Right Stuff - Tom Wolfe, a gripping heroic story of the first seven Mercury astronauts given a tongue in cheek look at by Tom Wolfe.

Saxonjus Mdaly wrote: "1. Seabiscuit, whether you like horse racing or not, and I don't, an incredible story well told.
2. The Road, Cormac McCarthy, a morality tale in a time of no morals.
3. Never Let Me Go, a great st..."

I love the film Seabiscuit too.It always makes me cry & smile.

Naska Kvarantan ヅ 1. The fault in our stars
2. The Book Thief
3. The Little Princ
4. The Kite Runner
5. Before I Die

Kathy WOW....thank you for all your book suggestions. I have recently been doing much more reading than in recent years and have been thoroughly enjoying this. I'm so happy to say that I at least have recognized several of these titles and read a few of them already, but glad to know there are so many more good reads out there. Thank you all for taking the time to put your list together. Thank goodness for Goodreads :)

Ann-Marie In no particular order and trying not to mention one from the above lists, I would recommend

Anna Karenia - Tolstoy
The Fortress of Solitude - Jonathan Lethem
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
Mister Pip - Lloyd Jones
Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Chris Ruth wrote: "I would recommend Me Before You, The Night Circus and Redshirts These were the best books I've read this year. I would also recommend [book:A Walk i..."

OMG! A Walk in the Woods is one of my all time faves, I give to almost everyone, especially hikers!

Chris Ah the cliché so many books too little time. I give the thumbs up to The Book Thief & someone also suggested The Kitchen House, also great. I also loved The Samurai's Garden, The Forgotten Garden, My Sister's Keeper, Snowflower & the Secret Fan, and for laughs the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

Saxonjus I read the Kitchen House & part of my top 5

Cheryl I know the minute I post this, a slew of other books will come to mind, but the first to pop up for me are these:

White Oleander
Ragtime
Sophie’s Choice
Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant
A Prayer for Owen Meany

FYI, you can't go wrong by reading anything by E.L. Doctorow or William Styron, IMHO.

message 40: by Kathy (last edited Jan 24, 2014 03:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathy Awesome Cheryl and the rest of you...we are having a weekend of winter weather here...will be checking into these :)

Damir 1. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco;
2. The Slave by Isaac Bashevis Singer;
3. Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse;
4. The Road by Cormac McCarthy;
5. The Fortress by Meša Selimović

Iman27 The Book Thief
Alif the Unseen
Pride and Prejudice
A Thousand Splendid Suns
The Diviners

Kathy Very interesting...definitely a wide range of reading material has been posted on this site.....something for every emotion we are looking for feeling during a good read :)

Kathy I have seen "A Prayer for Owen Meany" on several posts....AND this is good :) Thanks for the suggestions :)

message 46: by Motherbeaver (last edited Jan 25, 2014 11:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Motherbeaver I have to add Louise Penny's Three Pines mysteries beginning with Still Life.

message 48: by Rose (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rose 1.Shadow and bone
2. Paper towns
3. the tenant of wildfell hall
4. It's kind of a funny story
5. The spectacular now

Kathy Just saw that The Rosie Project is on a bookdeal at Amazon....fate :)

Kathy I have to say...it has sure been fun to look up several of these books and put them on a "to read" list....thanks so much for all the suggestions :)

« previous 1 3

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Book Thief (other topics)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (other topics)
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared (other topics)
Little Women (other topics)
The Bell Jar (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kristen Ashley (other topics)