The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Uplifting/Happy books

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christina (meanttolive111) | 99 comments I love a good depressing, thought provoking book, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for some more cheerful books - not necessarily just a happy ending, but that may be okay too.

I say this because I'm studying for the NY Bar and am getting stressed out; I was going to read "My Sister's Keeper" but decided I didn't feel like adding to my depression lol.

If you could go through my book list to see what I like that would be even better! Thanks. :)

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8496 comments Mod
Uplifting, huh? Have you read any Christopher Moore? He's hilarious. Stupidest Angel and A Dirty Job are my favorites from him.

Missy (missy_v) | 4 comments Hi Christina!

I am another one studying for the bar that would appreciate book suggestions of this type.

Meera Hi Christina, I'm recommending The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. There are sad moments because it deals with WWII but it is generally uplifting and has a happy ending.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I saw that Watership Down was on your to-read list, you may want to look that up. It's oddly dramatic and suspenseful but uplifting overall.

Mary | 203 comments I took a quick look at your to-read list and I recommend Holes, featuring a main character with determination and inner strength and Me Talk Pretty One Day which will make you laugh out loud. Good luck with the Bar Exam!

Gloria (GloriasBooks) | 11 comments oh I agree...Me Talk Pretty One Day is a great book for cheering the spirit. Enjoy!

Laurie | 24 comments ooh, The Princess Bride would be pretty cheerful! It's a good one to lose yourself in and there is a bunch of stuff in the book that's not in the movie.

Thomma (thommalyn) | 94 comments I highly recommend Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. And an oldie-but-goodie YA book that makes me feel wonderful every time I read it is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.

Petra Xtra Crunchy (PetraX) Studying for the bar? Then Anonymous Lawyer A Novel by Jeremy Blachman should entertain you. I've just finished it and its very light and very funny indeed. Not sure if it would put you off the law or make you even more determined though!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Whenever I'm down, I read Juno & Juliet A Novel. Its incredibly funny without being trivial. Its also uplifting thought-provoking.

Abbie K. (Brigidshawk) | 108 comments I think I have Meera living inside my head. I was going to say Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society too.
Other than that, and if you like Sci-Fi, try anything by Terry Pratchett.

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments The Spellman Series: The Spellman Files, Curse of the Spellmans and Revenge of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz. Hilarious and very creative!! Good Luck with the Bar Exam!

Christina (meanttolive111) | 99 comments Petra X wrote: "Studying for the bar? Then Anonymous Lawyer A Novel by Jeremy Blachman should entertain you. I've just finished it and its very light and very funny indeed. Not sure if it would put..."

That sounds funny! I added it to my to-read list.

I decided to pick up "Me Talk Pretty One Day" because I've been wanting to read it forever ... these were all great suggestions (I would have picked "Watership Down" if it wasn't so long - good thing I own it though!) and I'll be reading the others after I finish this one.

Thanks, guys! Keep the list coming if anyone has any others!

(and thanks for the good luck!)

Elhara | 15 comments Hi Christina,
I had to wait for a while on my library's hold list for Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World‎
by Vicki Myron, Bret Witter
It's a nice little story for anyone. Very enjoyable to those of us that are cat lovers.

Christina (meanttolive111) | 99 comments Elhara wrote: "Hi Christina,
I had to wait for a while on my library's hold list for Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World‎
by Vicki Myron, Bret Witter
It's a nice little story for anyone. V..."

Wow well you have me pegged - I love cats! I'm adding it to my list right now. :)

Diane D. Hi Christina - I've been a legal secretary for about 30 years...are you sitting for the Bar in July?
Best wishes Christina - you'll be fine!
If you love cats- check out The Cat Who Went to Paris and/or The Cat Who Came for Christmas. Both true stories, both trilogies, don't read the third ones....

Christina (meanttolive111) | 99 comments Diane D wrote: "Hi Christina - I've been a legal secretary for about 30 years...are you sitting for the Bar in July?
Best wishes Christina - you'll be fine!
If you love cats- check out The Cat Who Went to Paris ..."

Yes, end of July - less than a month away! I'm sure you know all about the craziness and stress related to the bar. It's a unique experience, I'll say that. Thanks for the suggestions!

Manday | 212 comments Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

message 20: by Petra Xtra Crunchy (last edited Jul 06, 2009 11:06AM) (new)

Petra Xtra Crunchy (PetraX) Manday wrote: "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
Uplifting? You don't find it depressing that Earth is just about to be blown up to make room for an interspace highway?

Just joking. I think that's a very good suggestion for an uplifting book.

Grace (LovecraftLass) | 854 comments Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons and Patty Jane's House of Curl by Lorna Landvik had laugh out loud parts for me. They have some touching/sad parts but on the whole they are generally upbeat.

Rachel | 3 comments I'm not sure you would like it, but I have to recommend Anne of Green Gables as a happy, peaceful, beautifully written book.

Brenda | 255 comments I'd recommend 84 Charing Cross Road from your TBR list.

Bhumi | 524 comments I would avoid Jodi Picoult novels if you're looking for happy books. A lot of Meg Cabot novels are light and happy. I like the Mediator series, personally.

Kathy (KCole) I read The Noticer by Andy Andrews and it's pretty inspirational with a good message. Also books by Patsy Clairmont or Marilyn Meberg will keep you laughing. Good Luck!

Sherry (sherryred) | 94 comments Christina wrote: "I love a good depressing, thought provoking book, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for some more cheerful books - not necessarily just a happy ending, but that may be okay too...."

My new-found, favorite author is Jennifer Cruisie. I have a smile on my face throughout her reads. She would be my suggestion :)