Book Haven discussion

Witches > Best novels that include witches...

Comments (showing 1-50 of 69) (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Name some series/novels that include witches...
Let us know if they are any good!

James Clemens-Banned and Banished series- 5 Star books! Very unique!

L.J. Smith-The secret circle series-YA series. 3-4 Stars.

Cate Tiernan-Sweep series- VERY long series, but an easy read 3 Stars

Isobel Bird- Circle of three series-2 stars. It was just okay, but would be a great series for a pre-teen!

These are just a few off the top of my head...

message 2: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments I enjoyed Anya Basts Witch Fire and Joey W hills A Witch's Beauty.

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user I second Joey Hill. :D That's the only series with witches that I've liked thus far.

message 4: by Karyn (new)

Karyn (HonestbutEvil) | 37 comments Wicked. I love Elphaba. I hate Dorothy, the little brat, and the Lion! How could he do that?

message 5: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments new_user wrote: "I second Joey Hill. :D That's the only series with witches that I've liked thus far."

I enjoyed Witch Fire alot too. Now have the rest of the series to read.

message 6: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Schneider (TriciaSchneider) | 18 comments Maggie Shayne wrote a series about Immortal Witches. They were fantastic!
Eternity
Infinity
Destiny
Immortality(This one is a novella and was also included in Out of this World anthology). They were all reissued (two books in each) in 2007 as Eternal Love and Immortal Desire.

message 7: by Corrine (new)

Corrine (itsactuallycorrine) | 9 comments Karyn wrote: "Wicked. I love Elphaba. I hate Dorothy, the little brat, and the Lion! How could he do that? "

LOL, that's so weird that I stumbled upon this, because guess what I'm listening to at work? The WICKED broadway soundtrack. :D

message 8: by Adrienne (last edited Jul 18, 2009 11:21PM) (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments I've just startedWitch Blood.The story continues on from Witch Fire and I'm enjoying the relationship between Thomas and Isabelle.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (spazzette) DARKEST POWERS SERIES!!!!!

message 10: by Lizz (new)

Lizz | 8 comments The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe, currently reading it, this book is more on a historical level but there is also mystery and suspense, very good so far. Goes back and forth from the salem witch trials in 1692 and present 1991.

message 11: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelleylynn) | 13 comments Lizz wrote: "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe, currently reading it, this book is more on a historical level but there is also mystery and suspense, very good so far. Goes back and forth f..."

Lizz- Thanks for posting! I am going to add this book to my TBR pile. My Great, great, great, great, great Aunt was one of the first 5 to be killed during the Salem trials so I am very interested in books about it!

message 12: by Lizz (new)

Lizz | 8 comments wow!!! thats a great family tree...how interesting!!im almost done reading it i think you'll like it.

message 13: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments The Rhiannon Godfrey books by Traci Hall are entertaining, although Rhiannon, herself, is not Wiccan ... her parents are.

M.R. Sellars has written a series of mysteries, The Rowan Gant Investigations, that are pagan-themed.

Mercedes Lackey has written three books featuring a witch, and several others that touch on high ceremonial magick.

I also can recommend the Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, which was definitely entertaining, despite a couple of relatively minor plot flaws.

message 14: by J.D. (new)

Blue Is For Nightmares

Has anyone read this?

message 15: by new_user (new)

new_user Nope, but I've read her before. Her style's similar to Carrie Jones, I think. :)

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) Tamara Thorne's trilogy is pretty good. Short reads, light and fun.

I also recommend highly the Wither series by J.G. Passarella. The series is finished at book 3.

message 17: by J.D. (new)

Erin wrote: "Tamara Thorne's trilogy is pretty good. Short reads, light and fun.

I also recommend highly the Wither series by J.G. Passarella. The series is finished at book 3."

They sound pretty good. Which book by Tamara Thorne would you recommend? I was looking at The Sorority: Eve... Is it good?

message 18: by Steven (new)

Steven Belanger | 43 comments Macbeth
The Wizard of Oz

Steven Belanger
www.stevenbelanger.com

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (Dreamworldbooks) Although I thought Anne Rice's vampire Lestat novels were just okay, the first novel of hers I ever read was The Witching Hour...a loooong chronicle about the Mayfair witches blood-line. This novel is still one of my all-time favorite reads to this day!!

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (Dreamworldbooks) Whoops, also forgot to mention that L.J. Smith's Secret Circle series is incredible, as is The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe. Excellent reads!

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan  (M_E_C) | 10 comments Without a doubt, Anne Rice's Witching Hour is the one of my favouties. James Clemmons series was very good as well.

I would recommend Marie Brennan's Doppelganger (Warrior and Witch).

message 22: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (Lacy_Stewart) Lizz wrote: "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe, currently reading it, this book is more on a historical level but there is also mystery and suspense, very good so far. Goes back and forth f..."

This is a great book!

message 23: by Joseph (last edited Mar 19, 2011 09:39AM) (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 23 comments If you are looking for urban fantasy-themed witches, you might like:
Dime Store Magic, Industrial Magic, and Waking The Witch from Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series
Yasmine Galenorn's Otherworld series, it starts with Witchling.
Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series, it starts with Dead Witch Walking.
Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series, it starts with Skinwalker. The title character is a shapeshifter, but her best friend is a witch.
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde trilogy, it starts with Burning Water

If you are looking for realistic fiction-themed Witches A.K.A. Wiccans, you might like:
M. R. Sellars Rowan Gant series, it starts with Harm None: A Rowan Gant Investigation
Madelyn Alt's Bewitched Mystery series, it starts with The Trouble With Magic
Isobel Bird's Circle of Three young adult series, it starts with So Mote It Be
Bell, Book, and Murder: The Bast Mysteries by Rosemary Edghill
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

Historical Fiction witches:
Corrag by Susan Fletcher
The White Witch by Elizabeth Goudge
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare.
Witch Child and Sorceress by Celia Rees

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Lizz wrote: "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe, currently reading it, this book is more on a historical level but there is also mystery and suspense, very good so far. Goes back and forth f..."

I also enjoyed this one :)

message 25: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 266 comments Joseph wrote: "Historical Fiction witches:
Corrag: A Novel by Susan Fletcher"

I just finished reading this a couple of days ago, and it was a VERY good story!

message 26: by S.C. (new)

S.C. | 6 comments Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking series!

message 27: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (VeraJ121) Sierra wrote: "Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking series!"

I will start reading her series.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Lopes (rachellopes) | 26 comments Wicked by Gregory Maguire
Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night - Kresley Cole
Demon From the Dark - Kresley Cole

message 29: by Cary (last edited Dec 04, 2011 06:13AM) (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments Dracula was a master warlock. As related by Van Helsing he studied at the Scholomance. A school for the dark arts run by the devil himself on the shores of a nameless lake in Styria/Transylvania regeon. As related by the French monk Augustine Calmet. People actually believed this school to exist. There he learn't the ultimale sin. How to raise himself from the dead. For this terrible crime against God he was excomunicated by our Lord, and made into a vampire. He could control the weather,wild animals, shape shift,levitate. Being a master Necromancer he could make others of his kind. Now is taht a witch of what? So many people have not read Dracula. It is easily the best vampire story ever written. It's predesessor Carmilla is the only vampire story that comes close. Both are free online reads.
Another story with a witch is Lord of the Rings. Sauron was a witch & vampire, Before his earthly form was destroyed. Even then he was able to manifest his spirit on earth, and become a Necromancer deluxe. His right hand assistant was the Witch King of Angmar who controld the Morgul gate & Tower, as well as being leader of the Nazgul.
Now I know your probably looking for the classic female witch. Dead to the World in the Sookie Stackhouse series has a coven of witches who make war on the vampires. Lead by their coven leader Hallow a witch with much cunning Sookie faces a formidabble foe. Sookie forms an alliance between the vampires, local wiccans, and the local were wolf pack to take these troublesome witches down.
Now for stories about real life withcraft. Buried Secerts by Edward Humes is the ultimate tale of contemporary black witchcraft. This book if frightening in the extreme. Here is a link describing it. http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/... Real deal modern witchcraft known as Palo Mayombe is full of human sacrifice, sexual origies, and drugs. This book is a good and well documented study of current black witchcraft as practised in the Caribbean & Mexico. It has crossed the border, and there are covens in this country. Usually involved in the drug cartels. Where they bless and protect drug shipments, and cast spells to protect the lives of certain dealers. I now there are people who will be upset by Palo Mayombe because it gives a very dark and evil light on witchcraft,and is not repressentative of witchcraft in it's common forms. People devoted to Palo Mayombe however make up for their few numbers by their fanatical and true devotion to the dark gods. They are not weekend warriors. They are full time purveyors of evil in its most shocking forms. Be forwarned. Canton Ble & Santa Ria are forms of white witchcraft and are good. Similar to our Anglo version known as Wicca. I really don't know much about Wicca. The book Buried Secrets explores the depths of dark witch craft known as Palo Mayombe. It has other names as well. Adolfo Constanza reveals himself in all is Satanic wickedness. This book is about real deal witchcraft. Which makes it all the more frightening.
Now most people are looking for stories of gentel good Wiccans. Heroic women who rescue or cure people with their magic. With a little romance thrown in. There are lots of books along this line. Especially in the YA catagory. Just type in Books Withces, or books Wiccan on your browzer.

message 30: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments Seriously I wish people would stop writting series books. People write books in a series because they have created a really wonderful character like Sherlock Holmes or Sookie Stackhouse. Or because they want to make more money. I like a single, long, well developed book. Where the author gives it all they have. To create a masterpiece that will pass the test of time. I am a vampire guy, and patiently waiting for a vampire masterpiece. Something well written and modern. Yet with the same basic vampires as the old gothic books. Vampires that can walk in the day. With emphasis on evil istead of romance. Or at least evil romance. Give me a break were talking vampires here. Not super hero's. Modern writters are changing the nature of the beast. Making up more contemporary stories is fine. But changing the basic nauture and what a vampire is. Turning them into a protector,and the ultimate lover. That is just not what vampires are about.

message 31: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (HeidiAngell) | 201 comments Cary... I can agree to an extent on the frustration of changing the nature of the beast. But you have to keep in mind that those beasties were originally created to scare little children into compliance. As society changes, so will our monsters.

I wasn't a huge fan of Twilight, but I loved the adaptation on Vampires that came about with Anne Rice's portrayal. (Mind you, my first thrill with vampires was Bram Stoker!)

The same is happening with witches. Once they were evil and now they are the sexy seductress. The original need was to keep children out of the woods. To keep them from talking to strangers. To ensure that they were polite to others, because you never know who might be a witch and curse you for your cruelty.
Now it is used to keep them on the moral path. And it is developing into flaunting that moral path. (hence, sexy witches.) And in the case of Harry Potter, another reflection of choosing light vs. dark/Good vs. Evil.

Each generation feels a need to make their own monsters and re-evaluate the monsters from the previous generation and adapt them to suit the present troubles and desires of this generation. Seeing how our monsters change is a fascinating way of seeing how our culture has changed!

message 32: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments I really went off about those witches,LOL. Then of topic into vampires to. Straying of topic again. Busted. Musta been an odd day. I didn't say witches weren't sexy. What witches are in basic element in pre Christian religeon & medicine. My generation did not write Dracula. Yet I love all the old gothic vamps better than the modern tales. Its a matter of what your looking for. I like both good and bad witches in stories. There are few stories written about a single witch. I would like to read a good witch story. There are lots of stories with witches in them. King Arthur stories have good and evil witches. Merlin is the last of the Druid wizards. He teaches Morgana Le Fay who is Arthurs half sister,and she becomes a dark witch schemeing to take Arthurs throne or just a disciple of Merlins, and loyal to her half brother Arthur. Depending on which Arthurian story you read. Stories with witches in them them. I will have to research that one. : )

message 33: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (HeidiAngell) | 201 comments As far as good ( or at least, trying to be good) witches, I really enjoyed the Wicked series Wicked: Resurrection

by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie. Unfortunately, it often gets overlooked because of the other Wicked series ;)

I'm not sure if they were hoping to ride the fame of the other Wicked, or if it just was one of those freak coincidences. Anyway, it is an interesting look into the life of three girls who are born witches without even knowing and whose family are in a blood feud with some other witch family, but they don't know because their family buried the secret to protect their descendents. Unfortunately the other side doesn't care if they don't know or remember, they are determined to wipe their line from existence.

There is this whole Romeo and Juliet cliche, but it is more homage than rip off. You could also say there is this whole jedi "lure to the dark side" thing, but it is still a very interesting story!!

message 34: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments Wicked : Resurrection looks good to me. I will have to check that one out. I used to love the old Buffy the Vampire Slayer TVseries. It is back in some comic book form. My fave episode is where Willow goes bad with way to much magic after hanging out with Aimee,and Frack. Then she drains Frack then takes all Giles power given him by the coven to become super witch. I miss Buffy. Angels own show has ups and downs. However it redems itself in season5. When Angel is given control of Wolfram & Hart, and Spike & Harmony return.

message 35: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (HeidiAngell) | 201 comments I have tried to get into Buffy, but I think my young teenage brother ruined it for me audibly drooling over Sarah Michelle Geller back in the day ;)

I tried to get into Angel, but I just can't. I used to work out early morning and play it during my work out, but it just didn't sell me. Which is a shame, since he was the only part of Buffy I actually sort of enjoyed.... Yeah, I think I have a Romeo and Juliet complex... god, and to think I never really knew before now!

message 36: by Cary (last edited Dec 04, 2011 06:11AM) (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments For me Buffy is the show that started the Paranormal Romance thing. Buffy a vampire slayer has relationships with two vampires. She has a lesbian witch friend. Plus she deals with deamons from other dimentsions. HP Lovecraft invented the interdemensional worlds & demons. I also got kinda tired of all the girl fans I knew liking Angel, and drooling over him. I was a Spike fan. Same thing with Southern Vamp mysteries/True Blood. All the girls fanaticaly in love with Eric Northman. I think Charlaine Harris got allot of her background work for Southern Vampire mysteries from Buffy. The gay sex, interdemensional beings, as well as your classic werewolfs, and vamps. True Blood is definitly the bomb. LaFayette's character is really great. True Blood has gays, drug use (pot smoking & pills),very explicit sexual scenes. Which make True Blood fanaticaly adored by it's fans. One of which is me. The show pushes the envelope. Tonight Thursday is my favorite with Vampire Diaries with its own serious bad witches. Followed by a witches only show. The Secret Circle. So in TV there are lots of witches now. The paranormal is definitly in. The one type of show I can't stand is Ghost Hunters, Haunted, and the other sudo documentary show's depicting paranormal activity. They are scary show for children.I do not believe in ghosts in any way shape or form. Witches however are real. They combine a knowlege of herbs & folk medicine with the persons faith in their magic. They of course are not practising real magic. But playing on the power of the human brain to perform incredible things when the person truly believes. Yeah a good witch book would hit the spot. Something like a sexy Mexican/American Santa Ria witch who fights a group of Palo Mayombe Palero's would just hit the spot. : )

message 37: by Ramiro (new)

Ramiro (Romeo47582) | 8 comments I loved this book soo much, I had never encountered anything like it, I liked the historical aspect of it. Trying to find another almost like it, I wonder if "A Discovery of Witches" will be sort of historical too. I haven't started reading it yet but it's on my nook color.

message 38: by Ramiro (new)

Ramiro (Romeo47582) | 8 comments Sierra wrote: "Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking series!"

Loving this series, Im currently on the 5th book I believe, "For a few demons more".

message 39: by L.J. (new)

L.J. Kentowski (LJKentowski) I think H.P. Mallory has some great witchy books. I've read both books in the Jolie Wilkins series Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble & Toil And Trouble and they were fun reads. I started her other series as well and it's just as good. To Kill a Warlock

message 40: by Cary (last edited Dec 28, 2011 07:38AM) (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments Conan the Barbrian always had lots of witches, and sorceres. The myth of Pereus has the Stygian witches who hold the secret of the Gorgon. Dracula was witch,vampire,and shifter. So was Sauron in the Lord of the Wrings. But I think your probably wanting books with classic female witches. Celtic literature is the best for witch and ghost stories. The Celts porvide us with our classic concepts of witches and ghosts. Celtic women often held positions of power in ancient times. Best example Queen Boudica of the Iceni. Times when women were generaly not allowed power. Boudica was a queen, and a warrior. Southern Vampire Series has great witches.

message 41: by Mia (new)

Mia (HotWolfie) | 46 comments The Lilim in Neil Gaiman's Stardust were pretty cool.
And I also enjoyed Roald Dahl's The Witches. The Witches of Eastwick, The Mists of Avalon, Rosemary's baby, Earthsea, and Dune (the Bene Gesserit) all had pretty interesting witches/warlocks.

For "accused" witches, The Crucible and The Scarlet Letter are my favorite.

message 42: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) The Immortals after Dark series by Kresley Cole.
My favorites:
Carrow in Demon from the DarkDemon from the Dark
Mariketa in Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night

message 43: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments The Golden Compass has some cool witches. Buffy the vampire slayer always had cool witches like Willow.

message 44: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Cottrill | 47 comments Sierra wrote: "Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking series!"

Valerie wrote: "Joseph wrote: "Historical Fiction witches:
Corrag: A Novel by Susan Fletcher"

I just finished reading this a couple of days ago, and it was a VERY good story!"

Sierra wrote: "Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking series!"

This series is awesome. I just recieved the newest release in the mail.

message 45: by Cary (last edited Feb 23, 2012 12:11PM) (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments I know I have mentioned this before. But easiy the best real story written about witches is Buried Secrets. It is about a real Palo Mayombe black magic cult that operated in Mexico in the late 20th century. It was written by Edward Humes a crime writter, and deals with real witchcaraft as practised today. Warning serioius nightmare vibes on this book. It has elements of human sacrifice, canibalizm, sexual origies, homosexuality, drugs x drugs, and murder. This group of witches led by Adolfo Constanza takes control of the Matamoros drug smuggling industry, and by using massacres of rivals, and black magic sealed with human sacrifice to protect drug loads. He takes over the Matamoros drug trade. Finaly he makes the mistake of kidnapping, rapping, torturing, killing, and eating a young American. This wakes up the police who chase him to Mexico city for his last stand and bloody shootout. This books is crazier than any fiction. If your looking for paranormal romance don't bother. But if you want to know about real witchcraft practised by real witches, and not a bunch of wiccan tinkering. Then you will love this book. It reaveals a world you could not imagine in your wildest dreams. Sexy,evil, bloody, and powerful. It is the witch book that sets a stanard for any future studies fo the subject. Plus if you are researching a book on withces. This is a great book to read. Even if you don't want your witches to be quite as bloody, and evil. You can get lots of ideas about witchcraft from this book. Wicked, Cary

message 46: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Fitzpatrick (L_E_Fitzpatrick) | 21 comments I loved Good Omens (Pratchett/Gaiman,) the witch was subtle but made the book - of course what makes a witch - that is another question.

Also I came across two very good short stories with old victorian witches. One by John Connolly, the other by Susanna Clark (Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell), both were absolutely brilliant.

message 47: by Cary (last edited Feb 23, 2012 01:43PM) (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments I love stories written in the Victorian age about Vampires, Werewolves, and witches. What makes a witch. Well that's pretty simple. Any practisioner of either black or white magic. A herbalist who uses a combination of science,alchemy, and deception to create magic. A female practisioner is usually called a witch,or enchantress. A male goes by Warlock, Nercromaner, Wizard, Magician. But both can use the title witch. I personal prefer the terms witch for women & Wizard for men. However all these titles are interchangeagle between men and women. This would also denote a practisioner of white magics. In modern classical literature. Gandalf the Wizard, and Sauron the Necromancer fit quite well with their perspective names, and magic types. But that is such a common tale. I know people here are looking for reading beyond what everyone and their mother reads. At least I do. For the most part I don't like serial books. They bore me pretty quickly as the characters become to predicatable. However it is fun to follow the exploits of a favorite hero's life. I would still rather read one super well written masterpiece. Than a half dozen same old same olds. Even Sookie Stackhouse which is my favorite of the paranormal series peaks out about Dead To The World. The fourth book in the series. The following books are still fun. But after the first four they tend to get to be same old same old.

message 48: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Fitzpatrick (L_E_Fitzpatrick) | 21 comments Cary wrote: "I love stories written in the Victorian age about Vampires, Werewolves, and witches. What makes a witch. Well that's pretty simple. Any practisioner of either black or white magic. A herbalist who ..."

Then I would totally recommend Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

As someone who leans more towards paganism I often find the modern interpretation of witches very annoying. However I found Susanna Clark's book totally refreshing to read. I bang on about all the time here, but it's for a good reason. If I could have written any book in the world it would be this one and it encumbers traditional folk magic with "Gandalf" explosions.

message 49: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments Cool LE Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell sounds good. I am very interested in the history of the Napoleonic wars. So it would combine my love of history & the occult. I can dig it. :)

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

"The Worst Witch" by Jilly Murphy. Think Harry Potter except with a female protaganist.

"The Witches." by Rhoald Dahl. I'm very much looking forward to reading his books to my daughter.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Witch's Beauty (other topics)
Witch Fire (other topics)
Infinity (other topics)
Immortality (other topics)
Destiny (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Clemens (other topics)
Cate Tiernan (other topics)