Fantasy Book Club discussion

Old threads > September/October 2009 RESULTS: BOTH GR Author and General Fantasy

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Hi again! As you're all probably aware, the majority of the group wanted the GR Author reads to be held once every 3 months. Because of this, the next one will be held in September/October.

To try to limit the number of threads that we all have to keep track of, I'm trying something new this time around. I'm going to ask for BOTH CATEGORIES to be nominated in this thread ONLY. Nominating will be open a little longer than normal to account for the long holiday weekend. Nominating will go on until July 12th, at which time I will create the two polls.

You're allowed up to 2 nominations for EACH category, but if I don't know which one it is, I won't take it. (See guidelines below.) Nominate one or the other or both, it's fine with me, but please make sure that all three components below are there to make it easy on me! Gracias!! :)

Standard nominating rules apply, and I'm going to be a stickler. Please remember to list the following or your nomination WILL NOT BE INCLUDED:

- Title and author (preferably link to them, but I won't be that picky!). Nominating "Terry Pratchett's Discworld #1" won't do it. ;)

- Why you are nominating it, including why you feel it fits the fantasy genre.

- And finally, include which category the book is being nominated for: "GR AUTHOR" or "GENERAL FANTASY"

I know that's an eyeful... As always, if you have questions, concerns, gripes, suggestions, whatever, please let me know.

Happy nominating!

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Nobody yet? Alright, I'll go first. :)

1) General Fantasy: Duma Key by Stephen King - I listened to this on audio not long ago and it was fantastic. This is the type of creepy fantasy that keeps people up at night. It's our world, but typical of King, he puts a spin on it and makes it unusual and interesting.

2) GR Author: Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate by Karey Shane - K.S.R. Kingworth - I've seen this book around for a while, and I have wanted to read it for quite a while. I love stories that tie in mythology, even if it isn't the type we're used to. :)

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 860 comments I'll put a nomination up to help Becky get this rolling....Still pondering the others I will put up, but for now, here is my first:

General Fantasy: The Blade Itself Book One of The First Law by Joe Abercrombie

I've been hearing great things about this and his newest book looks tempting. So I need something to nudge me into reading his first series, this should do it........

More nominations coming soon....

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Good choice Chris, as always. :) I want to read those BADLY, and this might give me just cause to shoehorn them into my reading list.

message 5: by DavidO (last edited Jul 03, 2009 06:15PM) (new)

DavidO (DrgnAngl) | 185 comments general fantasy:
Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

Because this is a popular series and I want to learn why. I've seen some comparisons to Songs of Fire and Ice by GRRM.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) David, I'm gonna need you to list the author too please. :) Thanks!

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) GR Author: RealmShift by Alan Baxter. It's listed as a dark fantasy thriller which has action as well as spiritual exploration - specifically how people's beliefs effect the world around them. Complete with gods, devil and magic - it seems like it could be interesting. Plus it looks like an indie publisher, so it needs some love. :>

message 8: by Libby (new)

Libby | 242 comments General fantasy - The Lies of Locke Lamora. I've heard very good things about this one.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Sounds good Blackrose. :)

Just a reminder guys - I need you to list the author on your nominations, even when they are linked. It really makes it easier for me when creating the poll. If you haven't listed an author, please do so! :)

message 10: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 748 comments I would second Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson for the General Fantasy topic, since I've been wanting to review this book again for a long while - and it is quite different, a law unto itself, in a field not given to wild experiments.

For the GoodReads author, I'd put forward the exquisitely well written urban fantasy, War for the Oaks by Emma Bull. This story came out long and long before the sub-genre came into being. It was in a realm by itself, at that time, and done with a flair that has stayed with me, all of these years. The prose and the characters are on a par with Kay, and the plot, very beautifully executed. This writer has never been prolific, but it is stunningly evident that she pours a great deal of thought and care into all she produces.

message 11: by Libby (new)

Libby | 242 comments @ Becky - sorry it might help if I followed the clearly written, explicit instructions ;-)

The Lies of Locke Lamora
Scott Lynch

For GR author - I'll second Emma Bull's War for the Oaks. I really enjoyed that one.

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) LOL, no problem, Libby! ;)

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments Storm Front by Jim Butcher for Non-GoodReads Author - mainly because I've heard so many good things about the Dresden series and haven't had a chance to start it yet. If it is in a bookclub the chances are much greater to get it off my TBR list.

For GoodRead authors:
Griffin's Shadow by Leslie Ann Moore because we've already read Griffin's Daughter and Griffin's Destiny will be coming soon.

also

Avempartha by Michael J. Sullivan again for the same reason - We've read the first book and the third one will be released in October. Yes I know it is my husband's book - but if I don't nominate it I think someone else might so I just thought I would dive in as long as I was here nominating Leslie's

One Note about Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate I've read this in electronic form - and I think it is a great recommendation - but I don't think it is actually released yet - I know it's been delayed a few times. I think it "might" be released by then but we should make sure.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) RE: Secret Speakers

I didn't know that. Well that certainly puts a damper on things doesn't it? LOL. :(

Where/how did you read it electronically?

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments Becky wrote: "RE: Secret Speakers

I didn't know that. Well that certainly puts a damper on things doesn't it? LOL. :(

Where/how did you read it electronically?"

Long ago - In November of last year she offered a free copy to anyone that "registered" - I got a copy back then - and I'm suppose to get a printed copy when it is finally released - she has delayed the release dates a few times (There was one in January and then April - I'm not sure what the most recent release date is but since there have been a few missed ones I don't want to say for sure until it is actually "out". It's a cute book.

message 17: by Carmen (last edited Jul 10, 2009 09:20AM) (new)

Carmen | 50 comments Hi Becky,

Here are my nominations:
General Fantasy: Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier

I second Elizabeth’s choice because I love YA fantasy and I have been wanting to read this one for a while.

Goodreads Author: Two Moon Princess by Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban because it is also a YA fantasy and would be interesting to discuss them in parallel.

And also because it is a good book. Yes I know I wrote it, but that doesn’t change the facts.

message 18: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (LeslieAnn) | 224 comments For general Fantasy, I nominate The Iron Dragon's Daughter a very dark, but stunning work. For GR author, all the books I'd nominate have already been put up.

message 19: by Colin (last edited Jul 12, 2009 04:09AM) (new)

Colin Taber I second the general fantasy title The Blade Itself by Abercrombie. I've heard it's good and well worth a read.

For the GR author, I'd like to offer my own title The Fall of Ossard. It's a recent title, and got some great reviews. It's also a little different to most fantasy out there at the moment, by going deeper as it builds a tale out of many layers.

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Last chance to get your nominations in! I will be closing nominations sometime this evening and creating the poll tonight.

message 21: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) And the winners are: War for the Oaks by Emma Bull for GR Author and The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch for General Fantasy.

Happy reading everyone!

message 22: by K.S.R. (last edited Jan 05, 2010 07:34PM) (new)

K.S.R. (KareyShane) I don't know if this comment will even get seen since this thread hasn't been updated since July. I'd better clear things up on Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate! I'm the author, and true, it hasn't been released yet.

There was an event where readers could read and review it electronically last year. It comes out April 2010. Sorry for any confusion--and especially sorry for the delays in the release. I've been pretty sick, but am getting better! And thanks to all my faithful early readers for your support. :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for that information Karey. We look forward to the release date for your book, so make sure you remind the group when it is released. There is a good chance it could be nominated again for our monthly readings

message 24: by K.S.R. (new)

K.S.R. (KareyShane) Hi JJ. I'm happy to say Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate is finally released. It's in the #2 spot on Listopia! here at Goodreads for Predict Oprah's Next Book Club Pick. Keep up all the good work!

message 25: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 24, 2010 05:57PM) (new)

Great to hear Karey. I did give your book a vote on that poll. If anyone else wishes to vote here is the link: Predict Oprah's Next Book Club Book!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate (other topics)
Duma Key (other topics)
The Blade Itself (other topics)
Gardens of the Moon (other topics)
Realmshift (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen King (other topics)
K.S.R. Kingworth (other topics)
Joe Abercrombie (other topics)
Alan Baxter (other topics)
Emma Bull (other topics)
More...