Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Seeking Seaside/Ocean-Themed Picture Books

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Jul 01, 2009 03:44PM) (new)

Kathryn | 3035 comments Mod
In honor of summer (and also one of my favorite places in nature!) I'm looking for seaside/ocean themed picture books. So far, I've enjoyed One White Wishing Stone A Beach Day Counting Book Mermaid Dreams and Beach DayMister Seahorse

Thanks! Happy Summer!

message 2: by Kirei (new)

Kirei | 346 comments Time of Wonder comes to mind. I can't say I liked it much, but it has really good reviews. It was either a Caldecott winner or Caldecott Honor book.

message 3: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 44 comments I have a shelf called "fish-stories" which has picture books about fish. Not all of them are set at the ocean, but there are a couple there that might work for you. And I'll be watching this thread for other fish picture books I could add to my shelf. :)

message 4: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks, all, and keep the suggestions coming! ;->

Chandra, I really liked "Flotsam" too!

And, Luann, "Mister Seahorse" by Eric Carle is a good fish story.

message 5: by Kirei (new)

Kirei | 346 comments I thought of another one: Harry by the Sea. I plan to read Harry the Dirty Dog tonight, then check out Harry by the Sea from the library.

We have Mister Seahorse--that is a good book, too. Also, Swimmy, although I am not fond of that.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth This is a higher reading level, but has good illustrations --
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54...

message 7: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 44 comments Kathryn wrote: "Luann, "Mister Seahorse" by Eric Carle is a good fish story."

Thanks for the suggestion! I went to add it to my TBR list and it was already there. I hadn't added it to my fish-stories shelf, yet, so I did that. And I'll bump it up in priority to read. Thanks!

message 8: by Miriam (last edited Jul 04, 2009 06:20PM) (new)

Miriam | 55 comments Graeme Base's The Sign of the Seahorse A Tale of Greed and High Adventure in Two Acts is a funny fantasy about an underwater fish town and crime that occurs there. Base has great illustrations with lots of details, you keep seeing new things as you reread.

The Serpent Came to Gloucester is a more historical book, based on accounts of a fishing village that claimed a friendly sea serpent visited them. Beautiful illustrations, like paintings, and a great message about not being scared of new and unexpected things!

Also, I don't recall the author or title, but I had a book when I was little about a boy who goes to the beach and loses his beloved inflatable seahorse. It was been taken by the sea king, who tells him if he wants it back he must rescue the sea king's favorite seahorse which has been captured by a some monster (a kraken? a witch with kelp? I only remember the images.) Most of the book takes place under the sea. I think it was published in the '70s, it was a tad surreal. The illustrations were fairly realistic, though (I mean life-like rather than cartoonish), maybe watercolors.

Oh, and there are various illustrated versions of the fable of the poor fisherman and the fish who grants him wishes.

message 9: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Yay! I've got a bunch of these on my list for the library. Thanks.

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Sansom Swimmy, by Leo Lionni...kindergartners love it (also great to teach about "working together"

message 11: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I can't believe no one's listed this one yet, as it was one of my favorites! -- Hattie and the Wild Waves A Story From Brooklyn. I remember loving the illustrations but am a little foggy on the story line after all these years.

message 12: by Margo (new)

Margo THis is a fun picture book:
Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef
by Marianne Berkes
Her books are rhymes/songs and the pictures are great. She has another about sea-shells, marshes and rainforests. My students love them.

message 14: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna | 19 comments Check out The Mermaid of Cafur (Barefoot Books) by Evelyn FosterThe Mermaid of Cafurby barefoot books. The story and illustrations are fantastic! The same goes for The Barefoot Book of Pirates by Richard WalkerThe Barefoot Book of PiratesThe Barefoot Books are known for their high quality illustrations.Just type bareffot books on Amazon and a bunch of them will come up.

message 15: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks, Svetlana!

message 16: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks, Abigail! It is still sweltering here in California so I still long for the beach!!!

message 17: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 151 comments The Martine board book series is cute for the toddler crowd but I don't know if they're available in English. It's very easy French with colourful pictures that toddlers like.

Martine, numéro 3   Martine à la mer by Gilbert Delahaye

message 18: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Eastofoz wrote: "The Martine board book series is cute for the toddler crowd but I don't know if they're available in English. It's very easy French with colourful pictures that toddlers like.

[bookcover:Martine, ..."

That looks so cute! I don't really speak French, but my husband and I traveled to Montreal and Quebec City over the summer so I'm quite fond of it! ;-)

message 19: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 151 comments Kathryn wrote: "Eastofoz wrote: "The Martine board book series is cute for the toddler crowd but I don't know if they're available in English. It's very easy French with colourful pictures that toddlers like.

[bo..."

They're not expensive books if you wanted to buy it to test it out if your library doesn't have it or maybe the swap sites like PBS or BookMooch have one you could try :)

message 20: by Donna-Lee (new)

Donna-Lee | 16 comments Secret Seahorse (Hide-And-Seek Books (Barefoot Books)) by Stella BlackstoneSecret Seahorse
Children can search for the seahorse hidden within the unique felt art illustrations.

message 21: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (Playingbythebook) | 18 comments For a wordless picture book you could try Wave by Suzy Lee. We also love Alison Lester's Magic Beach

message 22: by Janet (new)

Janet | 6 comments This one is a take off on the Three little pigs and it is a fun one Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark and I also enjoy Bats at the Beach

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily | 81 comments Stella, Star of the Sea is a favorite in our household.

message 24: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 191 comments I like the The Rainbow Fish The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister and Rainbow Fish and the Big Blue Whale Rainbow Fish and the Big Blue Whale by Marcus Pfister both by Marcus Pfister Herbert the illustrations are really nice and bright. Children just love these books.

message 25: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Emily wrote: "Stella, Star of the Sea is a favorite in our household."

I loved that one, too! :-)

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 965 comments Abigail wrote: "I've just recalled another beach story: Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach, part of a hilarious series about a neurotic squirrel."

How could I forget?!!!! I have to check if she's written any new ones I haven't read yet!

message 27: by Kirei (new)

Kirei | 346 comments "My Visit to the Aquarium" by Aliki is very nice.

message 28: by Katri (new)

Katri (Valancy) I'm just reading Moominpappa at Sea (it's one of Tove Jansson's Moomin books, but they all work as independent books, you don't need to read them in order) and it captures the feeling and atmosphere of the sea and life by an island wonderfully. Well, so I am told by those who know what living by the sea is like, and anyway I feel like I can hear the waves and taste the sea air as I read it. It's suitable for both children and grown-ups. The Moomins are fantasy creatures and living in a fantasy land, but as Tove Jansson lived by the Finnish seaside, it's especially the Baltic Sea environment that is evoked in the book.

message 29: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 191 comments Nims Island is a good book as well. Probably for middle grades.

message 30: by Gundula (last edited May 26, 2010 06:53AM) (new)

Gundula | 1830 comments Return to the Sea looks just lovely. The description states that it is the story of a young girl's road trip with her family from Ontario to her grandparents' cottage in New Brunswick. The same author has also published another sea-themed picture book, East to the Sea, but there is no description available on Goodreads (from the Amazon description, it seems to be a similar story, a family traveling by car to their vacation cottage in the Maritimes).

message 31: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Those all sound wonderful! Thanks :-)

message 32: by Miriam (last edited May 28, 2010 12:00PM) (new)

Miriam | 55 comments I just remembered one I had as a kid (maybe from the 1970s?) called The Tyger Voyage about an Edwardian father and son going sailing together and having some adventures.

And there's a newish picture book about bats going to the beach at night. Bats at the Beach