Beyond Reality discussion

Previous Books of the Month > 2009-07 Other books by Robert Silverberg

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1665 comments Mod
Have you read any other novels by Robert Silverberg? How did you like them?

Jon (jonmoss) | 622 comments I read the Marjipoor series in the early 80s and loved it.

message 3: by Nick, Moderator (new)

Nick (doily) | 533 comments Mod
Robert Silverberg was one of the first "younger generation" science fiction writers that actually got me interested in the genre back in the 1970's. His short story collection "To Open the Sky" as well as the celebrated stories "Caliban" and "When We Went to see the End of the World" (around 1972?) were very influential to my freading list and interests as I was just starting out in reading science fiction. I read the novels "The Mask of Time" and "The Anvil of Time" as well as the celebrated "A Time of Changes" but the one that left a lasting impression on me was "To Live Again." The concepts of cryogenics (of a sort) having ramifications was interesting to me -- a new way of thinking about reincarnation (which was a very new topic to me at the time). I also read "Dying Inside" when it first came out, an deven though it has become one of his most talked about books, I didn't really get into it at the time.
I'm not sure if re-reading it now makes it fare any better. To me, it's just not his most interesting stuff.

Kathi | 1099 comments I, too, read the Majipoor books many years ago and thought they were good, but I know I've read some other Silverberg and didn't like them (of course, I don't recall the names). For the most part, he is an author I read for awhile but haven't read or reread in years.

Barb S. (barbtrek) | 36 comments I read Nightfall (the novel) by Asimov and Silverberg and liked it. I was inerested in reading it after my son was told (in his middle school science fiction class) that the story "Nightfall" by Robert Silverberg was "the best science fiction story every written." Before getting ahold of the novel Nightfall I read the short story collection by Silverberg called "Phases of the Moon" that included the story "Road to Nightfall".

message 6: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1665 comments Mod
Barb wrote: "my son was told (in his middle school science fiction class) that the story "Nightfall" by Robert Silverberg was "the best science fiction story every written."

The original short story "Nightfall" is by Isaac Asimov, not Robert Silverberg. However, the later novel-length version was a collaboration between Silverberg and Asimov.

Personally, I've never read anything else by Silverberg, but will definitely seek out more works by him after reading "Dying Inside".

Barb S. (barbtrek) | 36 comments I stand corrected! The short story Nightfall was by Asimov, So, anyway, I read the book Nightfall, but actually haven't read the short story by Asimov.

The "Phases of the Moon" collection of stories by Silverberg was very good though.

Frank Taranto (xtontox) | 38 comments I've read about 30 books and 10 or so short story collections by Silverberg. Obviously, I am a big fan. If you liked Dying Inside, I would recommend The Book of Skulls. Other very good books, which are more "typical" Sf would be Nightwings, A Time of Changes, The World Inside, Thorns and The Second Trip.

unread topics | mark unread