Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive (general) > July - What are you currently reading?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 128) (128 new)    post a comment »

Kasia Hymmm.... I've been catching up on movies and TV and not really reading for the past 2 days, but now I'm SO ready to dig into the new challenge. I think I'll go with The Julius House first - 4th installment in Aurora Teagarden mysteries, and like any Charlaine Harris series - highly addictive.

message 2: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited Jun 30, 2009 08:51PM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) I'll be starting Sleeping with the Fishesby MJD

Jan (authorsidekick) Tomorrow, I'm starting One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I liked the first James Potter book (Harry Potter fanfic sequel) and have been looking forward to reading his sequel but saved it for my "J" book for July.

Nikki ♥ | 1173 comments I just started Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2) by Robyn Carr by Robyn Carr.

message 6: by Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (last edited Jul 01, 2009 08:39AM) (new)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (Shuga) | 569 comments Im starting the Sugar Cookie Murder & the Maze of Bones. Working on my challenges for July.

Adrienne My copy of Nate (Devils on Horseback,  #1) by Beth Williamson arrived to-day, and i can't wait to start. However at the moment i'm reading Untouched by Anna Campbell so i'm debating whether to juggle books?

Ann Noell (FantasyAnnie) I'm reading Running Hot by Jayne Ann Krentz and also Minx by Julia Quinn; both are for July Challenges.
Running Hot (Arcane Society, Book 5) by Jayne Ann Krentz [image error]

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) I just finished up Sleeping with Fishes and now I'll be starting either Full Moon Rising orLove Bites

message 10: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8879 comments Finished Paolini's Eldest last night. Wow..it almost took the whole month for me to finished listening to the book. It was good, but it will be a while before I will pick up the third book.

Also finished Holy Smokes by Katie MacAlister (4th and if I'm not mistaken the last of her Aisling Grey books). As usual it was a light, funny read.

Starting July with Kiss of a Demon King by Kresley Cole (PNR Challenge) and The kissing Game by Suzanne Brockmann (RRR Challenge).

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 328 comments just finished Moon Called. Currently reading Dark Guardian.

Holly | 50 comments I'm reading Feral Attraction by Paige McKellan and Marie Harte. I finished PM's story. Didn't like it and an now reading MH's story.

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 367 comments Just started Fallen Angel by Margaret and Lizz Weis.

Arch You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) I'm reading Blue Ruin 2 Close to Me. I've been waiting patiently to start this sequel. So happy I could work it into this month's challenge. It barely qualified for the young adult category but since one of the main characters just turned 19...he is still technically a teenager.

JenMcJ Lori wrote: "I'm reading Blue Ruin 2 Close to Me. I've been waiting patiently to start this sequel. So happy I could work it into this month's challenge. It barely qualified for the young adul..."

And K. Strauss just finished BR4. It should be out soon! Yeah!

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) JenMcJ wrote: "And K. Strauss just finished BR4. It should be out soon! Yeah!"

Yippee! I finished book 2 last night and really, really wanted to go ahead and start book 3. Now I have another one to look forward too. Awesome!

Annvelwis | 671 comments I just finished Zen and the Art of Vampires by Katie MacAlister. It was much better than other books from Dark Ones series, although it was still funny and light read. Right now I'm at work so, heh, I'll have to wait a bit until I can start reading, hmm... Blood and Chocolate or Succubus Blues or Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye...

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Just finished Full Moon Rising. Next I'll be starting either Love Bites or Midnight Awakening.

Karyn (HonestbutEvil) | 43 comments I'm reading Captain Corielli's Mandolin and waiting for my july pick it for me book and Lover Enshrined to arrive from ebay sellers and re-reading Lover Unbound.

message 21: by Adrienne (last edited Jul 02, 2009 02:23PM) (new)

Adrienne Karyn wrote: "I'm reading Captain Corielli's Mandolin and waiting for my july pick it for me book and Lover Enshrined to arrive from ebay sellers and re-reading Lover Unbound."

How are you finding this? I've started it and abandoned it on numerous occasions b/c I can't get Nicholas Cage out of my mind i haven't seen the film but...If I could get over this i think I'd probably really enjoy it.

message 22: by tosca (last edited Jul 02, 2009 06:10PM) (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Currently reading an m/m anthology I'm reviewing called Studs & Spurs featuring J.L. Langley, Kiernan Kelly and Dakota Flint. So far so good! Am also trying to juggle reading another book I'm reviewing I Do - Anthology In Support of Marriage Equality featuring Tracey Pennington, Alex Beecroft, Clare London, Lisabet Sarai and a whole heap of others I don't have space to name :o) Yesterday I kept saying, 'I HEART BOOKS' and it's true. I heart books - it's so hard being me LOL

Am not participating in book challenges at all this month. Will still be reading but purely for fun and whimsy :o)

Karyn (HonestbutEvil) | 43 comments Adrienne, I know what you mean. I keep seeing scenes from the film with every page I read. But I like the book. I think the further into it I get the less Nicholas Cage and Co will pop into my mind. It seems like a really good book.

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 1328 comments I'm breaking in my Sony Reader that I've had for a month and haven't used yet (that's how much I prefer regular books:-)) with a Regency romance, The Stranger She Married by Donna Hatch. This is the author's first book, and it's good so far.

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "I'm breaking in my Sony Reader that I've had for a month and haven't used yet (that's how much I prefer regular books:-)) with a Regency romance, The Stranger She Married by Donna Ha..."

Julie, I almost exclusively read on my Sony Reader now. You'll get used to it. I've gotten so used to it that when I read a paperback, I try and swipe my finger across the page to turn it.

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) I'm reading The Happy Onion a cute love story about two guys, Phil who owns a vegan restaurant in Ashvelle, NC (one of my favorite places in the world) and Thom who works as a nightclub manager for a local developer Phil refers to as the "evil empire". I'm about half way through and the angst is starting to build. Knowing Ally Blue, there will be a happy ending though.

Ann Noell (FantasyAnnie) I'm reading The Prefect Poison by Amanda Quick; I had to make myself put it down last night or I would have been up all night reading lol... I'm loving this story

Barbara ★ | 2282 comments This weekend I'm going to read Killer Summer and The Magician.

Annvelwis | 671 comments I just finished Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause. I loved it.
I'm reading The Hummingbird's Daughter and I'm still to be charmed by it.
In the meantime I'll start The Smoke Thief by Shana Abé.

Aileen (MystykPhoenix) | 15 comments I have so many books on my reading list right now hopefully I get to finish 'em all! But right now the two books I'm working on finishing are: Too Hot For A Spy by Pearl Wolf & Let Sleeping Rogues Lie by Sabrina Jeffries.

message 32: by Lauren (last edited Jul 06, 2009 05:18AM) (new)

Lauren | 81 comments almost done the The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) i am really liking the series so far

Purple (PurpleNat) | 1221 comments Im presently on book 9 of Kelley Armstrongs' Women of the Otherworld Series. I've learned that I can finish each of her book in 3 days (if I continously read every night), and since Book 10 will not be out until September, I think I'll catch up with the latest installment to Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampires after these. Can't wait for Ms Caine's Cape Storm, a few more days and I'll be back with Joanne Baldwin, really really like this series.

colleen (colleenFL) | 458 comments Purple wrote: "Im presently on book 9 of Kelley Armstrongs' Women of the Otherworld Series. I've learned that I can finish each of her book in 3 days (if I continously read every night), and since Book 10 will no..."

You have excellent taste in reading, Purple! Those are some great series. I'm really looking forward to Cape Storm also.

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Just finished ReneCade and WOW...what a fabulous book. It's been awhile since my heart clenched as many times as it did reading this one. Can't wait to read the others in the series.

I think I need something a little lighter now so I'm going to start Tempestuous which is about a fox shifter, It's yaoi and they are always fun.

Ann Noell (FantasyAnnie) I finished the Prefect Poison by Amanda Quick, I loved, loved it.

I have been trying to read A Summer to Remember by Mary Balogh, but just can't get into it. The lead female character just gets on my nerves; I don't like her and could care less what happens to her.

I started reading When I Fall In Love by Lynn Kurland, I'm liking this one very much.

message 37: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8879 comments Oh..i want to get my hands on The Perfect Poison. I enjoy JAK/Amanda Quick Arcane Society series very much.

Ann Noell (FantasyAnnie) Yz, you will love this book, I could not put it down. Jayne Ann Krentz aka Amanda Quick is my fave author. I have every book of hers that I have read and that go's back to when she was also writing under Stephine James.

message 40: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Jul 06, 2009 05:42PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I started a book that isn't on any challenge list. lol (I'll check later to see if I can fit it in somewhere... perhaps I can use it for unique occupation on Men We Love. lol) I started a series called Star Trek: The Captain's Table. Each book in the series (there is 6) is a different story told in the captain's own words. First book is Captain's James T. Kirk and Captain Hikaru Sulu called War Dragons by L.A. Graf. Second book is Captain Picard (The Next Generation), third is Captain Sisko (Deep Space Nine), fourth is Captain Janeway (Voyager), fifth is Captain Calhoun (Enterprise) and sixth book is Captain Pike (pre-Kirk). I bought 1, 3, and 4 from used bookstore today and ordered 2 used from amazon's marketplace online. Don't like the other 2 captains so won't buy their books. lol They go to a bar in an out of the way place, non-descript door that is the most exclusive club in the universe called The Captain's Table.

Blurb exerpt... There's a bar called "The Captain's Table," where those who have commanded mighty vessels of every shape and era can meet, relax, and share a friendly drink or two with others of their calling. Sometimes a brawl may break out but it's all in the family, more or less. Just remember, the first round of drinks is always paid for with a story...

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) I finished Pot Culture The A-Z Guide to Stoner Language and Life and it was surprisingly a well written book. Not a joke book you know? I am going to read Delia's Heart. I do enjoy V C Andrews and this series is more entertaining than the last few.

southpaw285 | 588 comments I am currently right in the middle of the "Chicago Stars" series by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I'm on book three, "Nobody's Baby But Mine". I should finish this series up over the next few days, and then will start on my July challenges. :) So many good things in there, I can't wait to get started! My wish list and TBR list are both growing at an alarming rate. Anyone else having that problem?

message 43: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8879 comments I love SEP's Chicago Stars, one of the few contemporary romance series that I positively adore.

And yes...most of us here have out-of-control TBR shelves..LOL

Susanna (jb_slasher) Sarah Waters' The Night Watch. So far only 100 pages in but I'm loving it. Will most likely read more of her books :)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (Shuga) | 569 comments Currently I am reading the Land of Mango Sunsets - Dorothea Benton Frank...it is very funny in parts. I am also a couple of chapters shy of completing Zen & the Art of Vampires-Katie MacAlister. I love this book by MacAlister so much so I went on the hunt for more by her.

Annvelwis | 671 comments I just started reread of Dance With The Devil for A-Z Character challenge. I love this series, but this book is one of my fav in it. Zarek is so hot it burns! And Simi is so funny, heh.
I also started Comanche Moon for July Monthly Challenge and I'm quite surprised by it so far.

Purple (PurpleNat) | 1221 comments Ann wrote: "Yz, you will love this book, I could not put it down. Jayne Ann Krentz aka Amanda Quick is my fave author. I have every book of hers that I have read and that go's back to when she was also writing..."

Stephanie James? Wow o wow, i didnt know that. I've read stephanie james since high school. better catch up then, I'll consider that Arcane Society, except I prefer the here and now when it comes to settings, but will definitely consider. =) This group is really informative. Thanks!

Purple (PurpleNat) | 1221 comments colleen wrote: "Purple wrote: "Im presently on book 9 of Kelley Armstrongs' Women of the Otherworld Series. I've learned that I can finish each of her book in 3 days (if I continously read every night), and since ..."

Hi Colleen! Thank you, but I'm still a newbie. and most of those series recommendations where from browsing the topics here.=) I totally agree with you however on the Weather Warden Series. And if you have more to recommend..I'm all ears. =)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (Shuga) | 569 comments Just Breathe - Susan Wiggs & The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson.

message 50: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8879 comments Purple wrote: ".better catch up then, I'll consider that Arcane Society, except I prefer the here and now when it comes to settings, but will definitely consider. =) This group is really informative."

The Arcane Society series actually jumps back and forth from contemporary and historicals...the contemporary written as Jayne Ann Krentz..the historicals written as Amanda Quick.

Here's the order of the series:

1. Second Sight - Amanda Quick (historical)
2. White Lies - Jayne Ann Krentz (contemporary)
3. Sizzle and Burn - Jayne Ann Krentz (contemporary)
4. The Third Circle - Amanda Quick (historical)
5. Running Hot - Jayne Ann Krentz (contemporay)
6. The Perfect Poison - Amanda Quick (historical)

Each book can actually be read on its own, and the term series could be applied pretty loosely. However, familiarity with some characters can increased your enjoyment of the storylines.

Hope this is helpful.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

One Foot in the Grave (other topics)
Sleeping with the Fishes (other topics)
Shelter Mountain (other topics)
Nate (other topics)
Untouched (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jeaniene Frost (other topics)
Alex Beecroft (other topics)
Dakota Flint (other topics)