Chicks On Lit discussion

Introduce Yourself!

Comments (showing 301-350 of 4,318) (4318 new)    post a comment »

message 301: by Denise (new)

Denise (DeniseG53) | 4 comments Hi, I am a part-time bookseller with a major bookstore and generally work full-time in the legal profession. I love to read!

message 302: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 99 comments Hi! I'm happy to find this group! Have ordered the October read and look forward to joining in.

I have 2 grown children, 2 grands and another one on the way. Am also mom to 3 basset hounds that are the rulers of our home. I work in staffing for a major US bank.

Reading has become my way of dealing with the daily stresses and chaos~don't know what I'd do without it. I'll read almost anything but am not crazy about heavy romance, heavy sci-fi or westerns. It's great to meet like-minded readers!

message 303: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 24 comments Hi everyone!!!! I'm so excited to meet more women that love books as much as I do!

message 304: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Hi, I'm Laura. I've been addicted to reading since elementary school. I love the classics, especially Brit Lit and mysteries. Since Tim Russert's passing, I've decided to read at least one book about every President since Kennedy. I own and operate a small CPA firm since 2003, so I don't have much time to read (or sleep!) during tax season. I also enjoy genealogy, knitting and quilting, and spending time with my husband of almost 20 years and our 17 year-old daughter. Looking forward to meeting fellow bookies!

message 305: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) | 384 comments I'm Kristie, special ed teacher with my reading certification. I carry my book in my purse, so my purse has to be big enough for my book. I love fiction, horror, historical fiction, the good memior, young adult, mystery. I can't do out and out romance and I have difficulty with a lot of science fiction (i can do some though).

message 306: by Holli (new)

Holli Your post just cracked me up Kristie...your purse has to fit your book....I love that :)

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (AJourneyInReading) | 390 comments Hi everyone!

Glad that I found this group! I am Kat, mother of two teenage boys, work as an RN in cardiac ICU, currently in grad school and live in Alabama. I have always loved to read and the love only gets stronger the older I get.

I have mostly leaned toward mystery/suspense type novels...especially medical suspense...go figure.... but in the last couple of years have ventured into other genres.... just cant get into truly mushy romance or vampires.....

I just finished "Nights in Rodanthe" by Nicholas Sparks and "The Wednesday Letters" by Jason Wright... Tonight I am going to start "Loving Frank" by Nancy Horan

Glad to meet all of you and I cant wait to wander through the posts!

message 308: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Hi Kat - I love your avatar. Is it your cat or did you just happen to find the perfect smile in cyberspace?

message 309: by Holli (new)

Holli Hi Kat....great to meet you!! Glad you have joined us and feel free to join in on our discussions :)

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (AJourneyInReading) | 390 comments LOL, just happened to find it in cyberspace. Seemed fitting :)

message 311: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 18 comments Hi everyone,
I am Stef from Germany and I love to read. I read almost everything, except for horror and Harry Potter :-)
I have always been interested in books. I read whenever I can.

message 312: by Meg (new)

Meg (MegWaiteClayton) | 128 comments Hi everyone! I'm Meg. I'm poking my head in to say hi, and to thank the Chicks on Lit gang for picking The Wednesday Sisters for the Spetember Read. I'll look forward to chatting on the 29th!

message 313: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2526 comments Mod
Welcome everyone. The group is growing so quickly I can barely keep up with all the new faces. Regardless you must know how excited we are to see our group grow and to have the chance to hear from more women and each of your unique voices.

Thanks for choicing the chicks to join. I don't think youll be disappointed.

Don't be shy and jump right into conversations and feel free to start your own.

message 314: by K.S.R. (last edited Sep 10, 2008 12:38PM) (new)

K.S.R. (KareyShane) | 116 comments Hello girls! I'm so glad to find out about this group! Thanks for starting it, Tera. I'm Karey Shane and I love to read and write.

I'm a wife and mother who works full-time from home. I'm surrounded by mountains, which I love, and live in the high desert. I love the dry air, but my shriveling skin misses the humidity that adds that little bit of plump. Ah me. :)

The Wednesday Sisters I'm going to do my best to read it, and I should be ready to participate come Sept. 29!

message 315: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenniferStorm) | 14 comments Hello Everyone!

Wow large group! I was invited to join this group and am so glad I did. I am an author with my most recent publication, Blackout Girl: Growing Up and Drying Out in America in stores now! I write non-fiction, however, I may try my hand at fiction soon!

I do read a lot as all authors should! I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns which was amazing and I believe all women should read this book!!!

Right now I am reading a galley review for another author but will jump into the books you are reading as a group hopefully soon!!

Jennifer

www.jenniferstorm.com

message 316: by Holli (new)

Holli Thanks so much for accepting my invite Jennifer!! The girls will love having you in our group and I hope you add your insights and life stories into our discussions :) Maybe we can read your book as one of our group reads? Its a topic that I think everyone should know more about.........

message 317: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenniferStorm) | 14 comments Holli!

Thanks for the invite--what an amazing group!!!

I look forward to the dialogue!

Jennifer

message 318: by Kathy-Diane (new)

Kathy-Diane Hi all,

I'm Kathy-Diane Leveille. All my life my best friends have been books. I love nothing better than to curl up with a good one on a rainy day. I am also as passionate about writing as much as as reading. My new novel "Let the Shadows Fall Behind You" is being published by Kunati Books next spring. It's all very exciting of course, but I normally live life in the slow lane tinkering in the garden. This looks like a great discussion group. I'm glad to join you!
Best
Kathy-Diane

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments hello..i'm jamie. I'm almost 23 and will be graduating from college in December! I love reading..but for the past 4 years i have been reading for school..so i can't wait to be able to read for myself now!

message 320: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Welcome, everyone. This is a soft, warm and cozy armchair...the lighting is good, and the atmosphere is great!

message 321: by Nicole (new)

Nicole My name is Nicole. I love love love to read an talk about books but I feel like I never get the chance anymore. I am a teacher so it is very very easy and common for me to get completely wrapped up in work.

Holli invited me to join the group. Can't say I will have a ton of time to post, but I love being involved in things.

Thanks everyone!

message 322: by Holli (new)

Holli I'm so glad you joined Nicole.....thank you!!

Hey everyone...Nicole is a Columbus Ohio person I found on Goodreads....told you...I'm makin' friends in Ohio like crazy now!! ;)

Thank god cause I thought I was to be alone here forever.........

message 323: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments Welcome Nicole! And way to go Holli for making friends! I know how exciting (and relieving) it is to find someone you can actually relate to. Yay to friendship!

message 324: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1 comments Hi, I'm Kara and I love to read because I work at a public library! I love to read classics, young adult, fantasy sci-fi, historical fiction, biographies, etc...anyway I'm glad to be here!

message 325: by Lori (last edited Sep 12, 2008 12:07AM) (new)

Lori Hi everyone, Amanda urged us chics in Mini Amsterdam months ago to check out this group, and since then I've occasionally lurked, and started posting last night. Whenever I meet new people my nervous habit is to talk waaay too much, so sorry for my very long posts, I promise I calm down after a little while.

I'm from New York, bred in Brooklyn, worked in Manhattan after college, got completely sick of it after being successful there and wanted out. So my hubby and I moved to Seattle 18 years ago, and I love it here. I was an actress for a little bit, but settled into media - print, TV, film, music, radio, etc. - becoming a project director, creative manager, producer, who knows, they always had trouble finding a title that fit exactly to all my doings.

I have a 12 YO son who love to play football of all things. I figured I'd have a kid like me, you know, arty, reads alot, loves school. HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Many karmic lessons when you have kids. I've been with my husband for almost 25 years. *scratches head at that thought - 25 years!*

I have a German Shepherd, Raider, who I adore, and 3 cats, 2 kitties almost 1 now that I rescued of which I love, and another older rescue who is a bit neurotic. And a fish tank.

I was an English major, so my tastes run to classic and modern literature, and I indulge in science fiction and fantasy. I actually think some of the most brilliant stuff is being done in those genres in the last decade.

Right now I'm fortunate to not have to work, but when my son is older I think I'd like to work in the library system.

message 326: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Welcome, all! The nicest thing about this group to me is that there's always something new, someone new, refreshing ideas...kick off your shoes and stay awhile!

message 327: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments Welcome Lori! I know exactly what you mean about talking wayyy too much ( I do it too :) ). Don't be ashamed, we all love opinionated women with something to say!

message 328: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 11 comments hi! i'm katerina. i'm new to goodreads and this group!

message 329: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Welcome, Katerina! What a pretty name. This is a great website, and fantastic group. You should be warned though, it can be highly addictive. ;)

message 330: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 11 comments haha i think i am finding that out already for the 2 hours its been since i just signed up! :)

message 331: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Yeah, I don't get any work done any more. And I don't care!! :)

message 332: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments i'm jessica. i'm new here..was recommended by a friend..i'm trying to figure all of this stuff out. any advice?

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments yay my dear friend jessica just signed up everyone! welcome jessica! you will be become addicted like I have been for the past few days.

message 334: by Holli (new)

Holli What do you need help with Jessica? :)

message 335: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments haha well first of all..how do you add a picture. secondly..what is the deal with the shelves? can you add more? and do they only stay in one shelf?

message 336: by Holli (new)

Holli OK. To add a picture go up to the top of your page up there and click on "my account". It will show you where to add your picture and what to do. Do you have a Myspace or Facebook? Its set up like that.

You can add more shelves.....click on "my books" up there and then "edit shelves". It tells you how to do it there. When you add shelves you can then put books into more than one shelf.

message 337: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments thanks! another question..can you move the order of your books around? i couldn't figure out how to do this except from moving them to start from one or to start from the last book.

message 338: by Holli (new)

Holli Ahh....good question Jessica! I have no idea :) Anyone else know?

message 339: by Holli (new)

Holli OK...if you click on "my books" and then in the Views section up top you click on "edit". In edit mode you can click on each shelf you ahve and there will come up a button that says re-order books and when you click on that you can put then in the number order that you want.

message 340: by Didi (new)

Didi (fireth) | 1 comments Hey everyone! I'm Didi from Singapore.

Just joined goodreads and stumbled upon this group. Guess it'll be stating the obvious that I love to read. There's a book in my handbag at all times and I try to read a book a week (even if it kills me hehehe!) I just finished reading the Twilight series and going through my bookshelf wondering what to read next.

Looking forward to chatting with you all soon :)

message 341: by Lauren (new)

Lauren hi i'm lauren, i've been here a while and have time now to introduce myself.
im 24 and currently in hospital with a dislocated hip, it happened twice in 10 days, im in traction for at least 3 to 6 weeks and have been told i might need a hip replacement, yes at age 24! so im a bit low at the moment. even though i have plenty of reading time.
any words of how any of you got through tough times will help, and pass some time!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments welcome Didi and Lauren!

Lauren,

I am so sorry to hear about your hip. I am praying for you! As far as getting through rough times..i've certainly seen some rough times in my own life..my mother died of brain cancer 2 years ago..i think that got me through some of the rough times after the initial grief..was just trying to embrace all the good things that came from it..(ie. me getting closer with my mother,me being able to help a friend going through a similar situation, etc) also, surrounding myself with amazing friends who were their for me and could easily lift my spirits..as well as being passionate about the things that are in your life now. You can always PM if you need to talk..take care. :)

message 343: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments welcome everyone! :)

message 344: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 415 comments Thanks, Tera, for your help in getting me to the right place to post!
I'm Debbie, living in south-central Nebraska. I got started on Goodreads recently and I decided I wanted to join a group. Your group sounds like the one for me!!! I'm married, have 1 daughter (away at college). I have 3 cats, Buttons, Snickers and Tommy and a dog, Belle. I guess my favorite books would be ... the kind you need to have a box of kleenexes handy! Sometimes I'll pick up a "cowboy" (western) at the library. Sometimes I pick up a book based solely on the title! Anyway, before I ramble on too much, I'll close!

message 345: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments hi debbie! welcome!!

message 346: by Holli (new)

Holli Hi Debbie.....hope you love our group....feel free to join in whenever you would like to any of the discussions!! Even the older ones ;)

Jessica.....did you get all of it figured out?

message 347: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Hi Debbie, welcome to our humble cyber-home. So tell us the truth, wouldn't you rather pick up a cowboy at the library??

;)

message 348: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 415 comments oh yeah!

message 349: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 415 comments gotta love them cowboys! I LOVE goin' to rodeos!!!

message 350: by Kate (new)

Kate | 96 comments Hi, I'm Kate. I've been enjoying so much all of the great talk about books and personal support ya'll give each other. A wonderful group.

I'm an ecelectic reader. What's most important to me is that there are characters to CARE about. Characters grappling with the human condition.

I also love a great VOICE. I think I will pretty much follow any narrator anywhere if that voice has entranced me.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Isabel's Daughter (other topics)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (other topics)
The Gargoyle (other topics)
War and Peace (other topics)
The Thirteenth Tale (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jim Fergus (other topics)
Michelle Moran (other topics)
Julie Garwood (other topics)
Kelley Armstrong (other topics)
Christina Dodd (other topics)
More...