Best Teen Books discussion

History/Historical Fiction

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Auntie J (last edited Feb 13, 2008 03:48AM) (new)

Auntie J | 16 comments I'm looking for suggestions for a very reluctant reader. An 8th grade boy who can read well, but only when he has to for school, and won't read above grade level. His mom tells me he can be tempted by war stories about the Revolutionary, Civil and WWII. Not interested in more contemporary wars. He loses interest in books set after 1960. Perhaps interesting historical fiction, or books about famous people during those times. Maybe even just very good realistic fiction set in the past? I already have down to suggest, "Solider X", and "The Dangerous Book for Boys", anyone have any other suggestions?

bjneary | 236 comments Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko (???)but not a war book

Private Peaceful by Michael Murpurgo (???)
When Thomas Peaceful's older brother is forced to join the British Army in WWI, Thomas decides to sign up as well, although he is only fourteen years old, to prove himself to ...
a totally awesome read.

message 3: by Newengland (last edited Feb 16, 2008 04:48PM) (new)

Auntie J | 16 comments Thanks both of you, I'll pass on the suggestions!

Newengland And thanks, bj. I added Private Peaceful to my list.

J-Lynn (JVanPelt) | 19 comments Red Badge of Courage and The Killer Angels were my favorite civil war books as a kid. Although The Killer Angels is above an 8th grade reading level.

Auntie J | 16 comments Thanks J-Lynn, I'd forgotte about "Red Badge of Courage", and haven't heard of "The Killer Angels". I'll suggest those. I think he could read above grade level, the problem is the wanting to. Maybe it'll tempt him enough to read it anyway. Thanks!

Caroline (booksandbows) | 17 comments Anything by the Collier brothers I think would work...

Lexi For World War II, try Richard Peck's On the Wings of Heroes. It's a really easy read, and although I'm a girl I bet a boy who's close to my age would enjoy it.

My Brother Sam is Dead: I've heard it is a pretty decent Revolutionary War story, although I never finished it myself.

Otherwise, a really funny book that's right around the eighth grade level that appeals to both boys and girls is Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick. I recommend it to all my middle school friends, and I haven't heard anyone who hasn't liked it!

Dorian Johnson (dorian_tolivia) | 11 comments personally, i dont really like historical fiction books but some good ones were:
The loud silence of Francine Green
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

For boys intrigued by combat, I'd suggest "Fallen Angels" by Walter Dean Myers. I know: it is a Viet Nam book. OK, how about "Up Periscope", which is older but good.

Patty | 5 comments I sponsor a boys' book club at my high school, and was one of our selections. The boys loved it. Their discussion was enlightening, especially how they related this novel to what is happening in Iraq today. We also read Maus I and Maus II, which they loved. They agreed that those graphic memoirs would be great ways to introduce the Holocaust in a classroom setting.

message 13: by Caitlín (last edited Jul 16, 2008 01:59PM) (new)

Caitlín (Ink Mage) (InkMage) | 9 comments Under a War-Torn Sky by L.M. Elliot is, as I remember (it's been a while) very engaging from the first. It's about a young American WWII pilot who's shot down over France and has to make his way back home.
There's a sequel to it coming out, working titled A Troubled Peace

Zoe (ZoeTrope) | 1 comments I'm reading The Green Glass Sea right now and I'm only about 25 pages in, but it's good so far. The story centers around a young girl named Dewey whose father is working on the Manhattan Project in New Mexico. So far, I've only read about her train ride to New Mexico -- where she meets Richard Feynman, of course. I'm not sure if a 13-year-old boy would be into it because it's very girl-centered so far, but he might be into the history/science part of it.

Rachael (rprensner) I Am David: Holm- about a boy who escapes from a concentration camp. Set sometime during the cold war.
Johnny Tremain: Esther Forbes- a classic Revolutionary War children's book about a silversmith who burns his hand, and meets someone involved in the Sons of Liberty

The Shadow Children Series: Haddix- somewhat futerisitc about a society in which each family can only have two kids. The series is, of course, about the 3rd children.

The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger: Lowry- futeristic. first about a society in which everything is controlled for the perfect environment. the second and third take place after it all collapses.

unread topics | mark unread