Flash Fiction discussion

What magazines publish flash fiction?

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (last edited Feb 12, 2008 04:32PM) (new)

Mark | 70 comments Mod
I know the following (they published my flashes or I am associated with them):

Vestal Review
Marginalia
Stone Canoe
Mississippi Review
3 AM
The Cafe Irreal
Weird Stories

I will add more.

Kathy (KathyFish) | 3 comments Hi, thanks for starting this group, Mark. Here's some more:

Denver Quarterly
Quick Fiction
[sic] literary journal
RE:AL Regarding Arts and Literature
New South
Per Contra
FRiGG
Smokelong Quarterly
Bound Off
Night Train
elimae
Cranky
Juked
Hobart
Noo Journal
Monkeybicycle

Kathryn Hello everyone!

I am currently writing my first flash fiction and so was very glad to see this particular thread.

If anyone feels inclined towards creating a new list that includes paying markets and addresses, I would personally feel very grateful.:)

Thanks!

Kathryn

Mark | 70 comments Mod
Welcome, Kathryn.

I think most of the markets above pay either in copies or cash or both. As for the addresses, google their websites and follow their submission guidelines.

Kathy (KathyFish) | 3 comments Looks really good, Sherrie! I'll read this later. Thanks for letting us know.

Dave Clapper | 4 comments Cool, Sherrie. I'll check it out.

Donald | 1 comments Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! I've been writing a lot of stories under 1,000 words lately, and want to start getting them out there.

Andersen Prunty (andersenprunty) | 1 comments The Dream People (www.dreampeople.org) likes very short and very weird stories. They've taken three of mine.

Mark Bacon | 3 comments You might also check out two quality flash fiction publications:
100 Word Story
Boston Literary Magazine

message 10: by Marc (last edited Jul 09, 2012 02:44PM) (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 32 comments Am I wrong in thinking most of these are US based?

Ether Books in the UK is a publisher of flash and short fiction to people's phones

http://duotrope.com is a good portal for a search of magazines

Kenny Chaffin (kennychaffin) | 29 comments welcome!

Mark | 70 comments Mod
Welcome, Rosalind.

Marc Nash (sulci) | 32 comments If you are on Twitter follow the #fridayflash (on Fridays unsurprisingly) to not only join the community publishing flash to their own sites/blogsand getting reads/comments, but also submission calls do appear under that hashtag as well.

Mark | 70 comments Mod
What is fridayflash?

message 15: by Marc (last edited Jul 10, 2012 05:29AM) (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 32 comments Mark wrote: "What is fridayflash?"

Friday flash is a community of writers who write weekly flash fiction stories (1000 words or less and it's not compulsory to write one every week!) then post on their blogs/websites and tweet links to them so that we all read & comment on each others & have ours read in turn. Good way to bring traffic to your site, new readers to your work and meet other writers.

Google Friday Flash Collector, for their official site.

message 16: by Marc (last edited Jul 24, 2012 09:34AM) (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 32 comments Hmmmm...

*withdraws graciously from discussion*

Robert Vaughan | 2 comments Hi everyone, I was recently asked to be the senior flash fiction editor at JMWW (by Jen Michalski, a great boss and writer!) Also I read all the short fiction for a newer magazine, Lost in Thought http://www.lostinthoughtmag.com/, and my partner who locates all the art for the zine is Kyle Schruder. There is also a magazine called Thrice which has the same concept- flash and art, and just published a piece of mine in it's July issue: http://www.thricefiction.com/pdf/Thri....

Mark | 70 comments Mod
Welcome, Robert.

unread topics | mark unread