The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) The Rosie Project question

Books just like The Rosie Project ...
Christopher Christopher (last edited Jan 02, 2014 05:14AM ) Dec 07, 2013 12:57PM
I don't read often, but I'm really really really happy I picked this up. I couldn't put it down and finished it in a few days. With that said, I'm now ridiculously in the mood to find another book like it?

I'm a sucker of romantic comedies, but something could be geared a little more towards men. Recommendations?

Matthew Dicks'Something Missing was fun- an OCD thief gets entangled in the lives of his 'clients', with some unexpected consequences.

I would suggest The Princess Bride by William Goldman. The book was a great read even while reading out loud. A funny romance that even my hubby loved just as much as the movie.

600 Hours of Edward I've just finished this one recently and although there isn't romance per se the main character has OCD and Aspergers and is very endearing. It also made me tear up (but in a good way).

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time by Mark Haddon is very apposite for autistic kids' parents or caregivers

Have you men read The art of Racing in the Rain? My husband loved it.

Have you read the Storied Life of A.J. Fikry? About a bookstore owner who has just lost his wife and someone abandons a little girl in his bookstore. It has the same feel as the Rosie Project and was awesome.

Thank you everyone for these great recommendations

I've heard Addition by Toni Jordan is like The Rosie Project but I've not read it yet. It's on the To Be Read pile.

"The Pleasure of My Company" by Steve Martin.

The Shock of the Fall might be up your street. Not exactly about autism/Asperger's, but other mental issues, and it's a really good read.

I would recommend The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon. This is also a book written from the perspective of a man suffering moderately severe autism (more so than Don) but still able to function independently in society... just. Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed and highly rate The Rosie Project, I consider The Speed of Dark to be a better and more believable story. It is set in the near future but is not really science fiction. Moon has an autistic son which probably has a lot to do with how convincing it is.

The Speed of Dark

Sharon Thanks for your recommendation. I've added The Speed of Dark to my want-to-read shelf. I've interested in reading novels relating to adult Asperger's ...more
Jun 27, 2014 07:13PM

House Rules by Jodi Picoult!

600 hours of Edward should have been a good match but I found the constant recalling of TV programmes took over the book, it just didn't have the same soul as The Rosie Project

One Day is almost perfect and far funnier and more believable than Roise. It does drop the ball once or twice but for the most part it is wonderful

"Attachments" by Rainbow Rowell.

Christopher, I am so glad I came upon your post. I too read The Rosie Project and immediately fell in love with it. I also have trouble finding books geared towards men, like this one.

I have yet to find a book that's even worth comparing to this one. Having said that, one of my favorite aspects of The Rosie Project was the analytical way Don looked at women and everything else in his life. I got most of my laughs by the unique way he looked at things. While I have yet to find a comparable story, I recently read The Humans by Matt Haig and found the dialogue to be similar. It's about an extra-terrestrial taking the form of a human for research. The story is slightly above average at best, but I found the analytical thoughts of a 'fish out of water' in everyday terrestrial life to be entertaining.

Would love to know if you find anything comparable to the Rosie Project, good luck!

John-Michael wrote: "Christopher, I am so glad I came upon your post. I too read The Rosie Project and immediately fell in love with it. I also have trouble finding books geared towards men, like this one.

I have yet ..."

Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon. Not as funny but more profound.

L Apr 07, 2014 09:48PM   0 votes
I just finished Chemistry For Beginners by Anthony Strong, and thought it was very much like The Rosie Project in terms of genere and style, but not so much that either felt like a rip off. The plot is about A shy, socially awkward scientist working on female sexual dysfunction study ends up being very attracted to an anorgasmic PHD student. They bond over science, the study, an expy for Dungeons and Dragons, and classic literature.

It's also written like a scientific paper, interspersed with blog posts from her POV.

I stayed up into the wee hours of the night to see how it ended. :)

Christopher That sounds like a good read. I will definitely pick that one up. Thanks so much.
Apr 08, 2014 07:28AM

Christopher, you might try "Where'd You Go, Bernadette?" It was cute, funny, and reminded me a little of Rosie. Both were extremely good.

I highly recommend The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick. The Good Luck of Right Now The protagonist has Asperger's, and it's very touching and sweet.

I'm looking for more books like The Rosie Project too. Humor is usually lost on me, but this book was awesome. I didn't feel the same way about its sequel.

I would suggest The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson and second The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time which I also liked and saw the similarity.

The sequel of The Project Rosie is supposed to be launched in September 24th 2014. I can't wait! It'll be called The Rosie Effect The Rosie Effect (Don Tillman #2) by Graeme Simsion

Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Rosie Project (other topics)
600 Hours of Edward (other topics)
One Day (other topics)
Something Missing (other topics)
The Humans (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Matt Haig (other topics)