Historical Romance discussion

General Discussion on HR Books > Favorite names for HR characters...

Comments (showing 1-50 of 78) (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube This might be a strange topic, but does anyone have a preference as far as the names for the main characters in books?

I for instance, love the names Grayson, and Damon for the males!

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Otten | 276 comments no. As long as it suits the character and the story. I even read a story once where the hero's name was George and the author made it work.

message 3: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube Kathy wrote: "no. As long as it suits the character and the story. I even read a story once where the hero's name was George and the author made it work."
I am sometimes put off if the h/h have icky names. Sometimes it works, but other times...I end up thinking that the name is too weak...

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user I like Grayson too, I'm not sure why... I like the nick too, Gray.

message 5: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments Sebastian, of course. It's gotten increasingly more popular, but I still love it, still used it myself (twice!).

I also like Alexander, Devlin, Trevor, Garrett, Lucas...
I could go on!

message 6: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube Kayleigh wrote: "Sebastian, of course. It's gotten increasingly more popular, but I still love it, still used it myself (twice!).

I also like Alexander, Devlin, Trevor, Garrett, Lucas...
I could go on!"

Not crazy about the name alexander. I like the names Alec and Gavin too.

message 7: by Chrissy315 (new)

Chrissy315 Jones | 6 comments Reading a HR book I came across the name Caitlin. I loved the name (this was before name was popular). So my daughter's middle name was Caitlin. My husband picked out her 1st name.

message 8: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube Chrissy315 wrote: "Reading a HR book I came across the name Caitlin. I loved the name (this was before name was popular). So my daughter's middle name was Caitlin. My husband picked out her 1st name."
Caitlin is a beautiful name! What did your husband pick for her 1st name?

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen (dumblydore) | 1 comments This is a great question!

Devlin used to be my fave name, until my cousin named her baby that and now it doesn't have quite the same allure it once had—conjured images of cute babies aren't exactly sexy, heh.

Lucien, or Sebastian (like you, Kayleigh!) probably tops my list these days. Even something as humble as John, although that's probably strongest when he's of the middle-class or working class since it alludes to humble/modest life ...

message 10: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 89 comments Alexander, Alex for short and I've always loved Simon. My first rogue was Alex Trevenge of Devils Desire and have loved it ever since.

message 11: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy | 74 comments I love the name Devlin, Anthony, and Nicholas. :)

message 12: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube I thought of another one that I LOVE..."CAM". For whatever reason I love that name...(sigh)

message 13: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 331 comments Joy wrote: "I thought of another one that I LOVE..."CAM". For whatever reason I love that name...(sigh)"

my daughter's name is Camie

message 14: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (ruffages) | 58 comments OK...probably my all time favorite name that I read in a HR (and you'll have a hard time finding it...it was Heather's father's name in The Flame and the Flower) and that was Riordan (that blackguard Irishman who was hanged).

I also liked Ruarke from Shanna. Obviously Alaina from Ashes in the Wind, Lierin from Come Love a Stranger. Hmmm...all of these came from Kathleen Woodiwiss. OH and Aislinn from The Wolf and the Dove.

message 15: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 331 comments I always liked Woodiwiss' names too. I'm not too fond of "ordinary" names like John, Jane, Mary, Tom. But I'm not fond of excessively weird names either. Amanda Quick uses some doosies!

message 16: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube Pamela wrote: "I always liked Woodiwiss' names too. I'm not too fond of "ordinary" names like John, Jane, Mary, Tom. But I'm not fond of excessively weird names either. Amanda Quick uses some doosies!"

Boring names are like the "kiss of death" for a book! LOL

message 17: by Marti (new)

Marti (Marjay) Amanda Quick does use some unusual names - but let's face it - the characters are unusual also.

message 18: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (ChristyLeighStewart) I've noticed a lot of Lucian's...aw, it means light in latin.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Otten | 276 comments Teresa Mederios had a Billy for one of her heroes. Hearing it I wouldn't have thought it worked, but it did in the book.

message 20: by TJ (new)

TJ | 69 comments My daughter and I were discussing cool names for kids the other day. I remembered the names ya'll were discussing and decided to go through my HR books. I came up with a list FAR better than any baby name book ever could - HR authors rock!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Kayleigh wrote: "Sebastian, of course. It's gotten increasingly more popular, but I still love it, still used it myself (twice!).

Sebastian St Vincent in Lisa Kleypas' DEVIL IN WINTER and Sebastian Townsend in Johanna Lindsey's MARRIAGE MOST SCANDALOUS?

message 22: by Tina (last edited Jan 20, 2010 07:11AM) (new)

Tina I remember at the height of my irrational dislike of Historicals I had an even more irrational dislike of the name Lucien and Raphael (Rafe). it seemed at the time that every spying Duke was named Lucien or Rafe. LoL.

Lately I have been charmed by the more lighthearted hero names like Harry or Freddy or Jack.

message 23: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 331 comments I don't mind Harry or Jack but Freddie always reminds me of the Freddie in the movie My Fair Lady. Though he was kinda sweet.

message 24: by Lynsey A (last edited Jan 20, 2010 06:20PM) (new)

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 32 comments Carolyn wrote: "OK...probably my all time favorite name that I read in a HR (and you'll have a hard time finding it...it was Heather's father's name in The Flame and the Flower) and that was Riordan (that blackgua..."

Yes, KEW has wonderful names for her characters. I loved the name Erienne in A Rose in Winter. Love the names Gage, Ashton, Cole.

Outside, KEW I do also love the name Sebastian as well. I also have to go with the Rafe's and Lucien's.
:-)

message 25: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL, Pamela, I don't think the author can anticipate associations like that. xD

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 80 comments I really don't have a preference for names. I just prefer i can pronounce them and that they match the time period/country the character is supposed to be from.

I will admit i always get a slight thrill when i a book my name as it's main character. Melissa was a common name back then, but not many authors seem to use it for their heroine's name.

message 27: by Nisha (new)

Nisha (parakisu) | 25 comments For me, Michael is classic.
Alexander and most of its variations.
Darian --> Dare - somehow, its so cliche, yet likeable.
Aidan, James, and Nicholas

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 490 comments I love Sebastian. It seems to be associated with many of my favorite heroes. Nisha I love your whole list. Michael is a classic and beautiful name! James, too.

LOL @ Tina's comment. Lucien and Rafe do tend to be overused for spies. :)

message 29: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 50 comments No real preference over a name. I like it when I can pronounce the name. I like when the name fits the character. Like a strong name with a strong guy.

message 30: by Arch (new)

Arch I like Cole. That's a nice Historical name. I think Cole Clayborne was the only Cole that I have came across in a Historical book that I have read.

message 31: by Lynsey A (new)

Lynsey A (LovesDarcy) | 32 comments Arch wrote: "I like Cole. That's a nice Historical name. I think Cole Clayborne was the only Cole that I have came across in a Historical book that I have read."

That's one of my favorite names too. In KEW's Ashes in the Wind the hero's name is Cole. It's one of my favorite Woodiwiss books.

message 32: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (rystyn_4728) | 5 comments Hmmm.... Marcus, Earl of Westcliff and Wulfric, Duke of Bewcastle

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 490 comments I love the names Cole and Marcus.

message 34: by Shel (new)

Shel | 13 comments Marcus is good, just makes me picture the model they used for the book It Happened One Autumn and his character was just over the top sexy! I also love the name Lucien, I don't know why. Maybe it makes them sound like a bad boy.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 490 comments Lucien is a great bad boy name. I even named one of my bad boy characters in my story Lucian.

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 81 comments Royce and Amelia =)

message 37: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 442 comments I like Lucien and Julian for some reason, though there seems to be a lot of them, like there's a lot a Damiens too. Don't really have a favorite heroine name, though I was pretty excited when I read The Angel Knight by Susan King and the heroine was Lady Christian, b/c my name's Christian, and I hardly ever see it used for a girl's name, especially in a romance. It was the first time ever I'd come across it.

message 38: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 104 comments Kit wrote: "I like Lucien and Julian for some reason, though there seems to be a lot of them, like there's a lot a Damiens too. Don't really have a favorite heroine name, though I was pretty excited when I rea..."

I did the same thing, I bought a book because the heroines name is the same as mine ,Noelle. I never see my name in books so I couldn't help myself. =)

Shannonreads like crazy | 10 comments I don't usually care too much about the names but I feel they have to be appropriate to the time period and not too out there.

It bothers me when a name really sticks out in historical fiction. I find myself thinking "would a parent in 1800 or whenever really name their child that"

message 40: by Erin (new)

Erin H | 202 comments I'm so picky when it comes to heroes names :) I love the names Gabriel and Marcus!!

message 41: by Jane (new)

Jane (PlainJanie) | 34 comments Maybe because my name is so old fashioned I find I'm partial to old fashioned names. I like Simon, Sebastian, Jack, Michael, Edward. But mostly, like Samantha mentioned, I like to be able to pronounce the names.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Sebastian, Gabriel, Rafe (Raphael) and my all time favorite Gareth....(not Garrett)

Steph

message 43: by Heidi (last edited Dec 21, 2010 01:02PM) (new)

Heidi | 276 comments It doesn't matter to me as long as they are masculine for the hero and feminine for the heroine. I don't like the name Harry and have read a couple books with that name, I suppose it worked but would have prefered something different. I also like name that I know how to pronounce(in my brain of course)...nothing crazy!

message 44: by Nira (last edited Jan 10, 2011 05:09AM) (new)

Nira (heartoffiction) | 7 comments Whoohoo!! So I'm not the only cashew nut in a bowl of peanuts... LOL. Ignore if you don't get it. It's me being silly.

So here are some of my favourite names...

Julian
Jared
Jason
Justin
Lucian (my personal favourite)
Ethan (ooohhh love this one too!)
Edward
Edmund
Aaron (despite it being a bit too modern)
Adrian
Aiden
Alex
Nathaniel (another one I'm crazy about)
Nathan
Nicholas
Nate
Devlin
Devon
Derek
Sebastian

For the record, I HATE names along the lines of Hugo, Hubert, Bruce, Bruno (which makes me think immediately of the movie), Benjamin and Harry...

This is where I go sometimes when I get depressed over authors picking stupid names for their characters. I pick my own! :D

http://www.historicalromancewriters.c...

message 45: by Viohlet (new)

Viohlet (unchartedrocks) | 1 comments Hmmmm

I do love the name Lucian, although I've come across it a fair few times, so it's getting fairly common.

I've come across a lot of names that Stephanie Laurens has used that I like;
Gabriel
Alaisdair
Spencer
Sebastian

And I do love the names Alex, Colin and Benedict.

For women, I've always liked Lousia.
Belle/Bella
Penelope
Phillipa
Hermione

XD All I can think of right now lol.

message 46: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 442 comments I like Penelope a lot, it's my dog's name lol. And Penelope Featherington is one of my favorite characters from a series. :)

message 47: by Nisha (new)

Nisha (parakisu) | 25 comments Niranjana (Nira) wrote: "Whoohoo!! So I'm not the only cashew nut in a bowl of peanuts... LOL. Ignore if you don't get it. It's me being silly.

Julian
Jared
Jason
Justin
Lu..."

I love most of your list. Especially Justin, Ethan, Devlin and Aaron (which isn't that modern. ex.Aaron Burr, the 3rd VP of the US - 1800s).

I agree about Harry. It's so fundamentally unsexy.

But, I noticed a lot of love for Sebastian and Lucien. Somehow, those names have grown stale with overusage. Plus, they actually sound surreal and I might freak if I come across a real person with those names.

message 48: by Nira (new)

Nira (heartoffiction) | 7 comments Nisha wrote: "Niranjana (Nira) wrote: "Whoohoo!! So I'm not the only cashew nut in a bowl of peanuts... LOL. Ignore if you don't get it. It's me being silly.

Julian ..."

True, eh? Sebastian and Lucien are rather overused and once you fall in love with a particular character in one book with that name it's hard to picture anyone else in the same skin from another book.

message 49: by Amar (new)

Amar | 150 comments Allright ladies for those of you think the name Harry is unsexy, you have to read Lisa Kleypas' Tempt me at Twilight...Harry Rutledge is a complete dreamboat!

message 50: by Dottiebears (new)

Dottiebears | 11 comments I don't care that much about names as long as they are good for the time period. Some of the currently popular names for boys and girls sound a very false note when used in an HR book. I read an HR not too long ago where the h's name was Tiffany, which didn't ring true at all.

And I *loved* Harry in Tempt me at Twilight!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Angel Knight (other topics)
The Game of Kings (other topics)
Cotillion (other topics)
The Winter Bride (other topics)