Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What Are You Listening to Right Now?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 2,390) (2390 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 47 48

message 1: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Name the next five songs on your playlist. (If it's on atm)

message 2: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) 1. The River Styx (Eddie Izzard) - not a song but it's on my playlist. Comedian for those who don't know Izzard and Cake or Death!

2. Track 4 (Nana Kitade) - J-Pop rock musician. Great guitar in this song. JAM JAM!

3. Carnival Town (Norah Jones) - This song helps me center during a very stressing day. Close your eyes, let your heartbeat follow the beat of the background piano. Imagine Norah Jones' voice like a river and float right along.

4. Pearl Harbour to Russia (Eddie Izzard) - Poddie cannot get enough of Izzard!! Whee!

5. Hong Kong Phooey (remix by Sublime) - Henry the mild mannered janitor? Cooooullld be!!! Hong Kong PHOOEY the Number One Superguy!! *CHOP!*

message 3: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Don't we already have a thread for this called "Music as of late?" The number of new threads that are constantly popping up in this group is quite disconcerting to me. This group needs a big dose of ritalin.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments I think music of late isn't quite the same as "What are the next five songs on your playlist?" --- music of late indicates that choice is involved, and you're mentioning it for a reason. I love the embarass-yourself-via-shuffle game.

Here are mine:
1. Virgin State of Mind - K's Choice -- This is the song that K's Choice played on Buffy in the excellent episode "Dopplegangland". It's a cool song.

2. Secret Crush - Secret Crush Society -- Baltimore band that I don't know too well.

3. Cruel - Calexico -

4. Do You Wanna Touch Me -- Joan Jett & the Blackhearts. I saw Joan Jett at our free arts festival last summer, and she was pretty awesome in her rock-til-you-die way. Fun song. Oh, and when her drummer threw his sticks into the crowd at the end of the set, I caught one with my larynx.

5.All You Fascists - Billy Bragg & Wilco. Not my favorite on the Mermaid Avenue recordings, but pretty cool.

Yay - -my iPod didn't embarass me too badly.

ps Tanja have you seen the "Cake or Death" lego video on youtube?

message 5: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I keep seeing Joni Mitchell and am compelled to listen to them more. How's the Billie Jean (Studio) - David Cook? Is that like Michael Jackson's?

Sarah: I love the embarass-yourself-via-shuffle game. *giggles* ME TOO! It reveals your skeletons!

Ooooh you got drum sticks too! Lucky!!

Sarah - Yes, yes, OH yes! Lego Izzard is the best. The Death Star Cantina Lego version is hilarious! You'll need a tray.

message 6: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Thanks Koee! I'll listen when I get home. Youtube is blocked at work.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments Chris Cornell, that is :)

Joni's voice has taken a long time to grow on me. I've always admired her as a musician, and liked her songs, but not her voice. Lately, it does more for me.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Mission Impossible Theme - Danny Elfman. I love spy stuff!

Moonland - Nick Cave. This one is RA's fault. As is my first-one-ever-in-my-life speeding ticket.

Porcelain - Moby. I first heard this on an X-Files episode.

The Power Is On - The Go! Team. From the last shebang swap. I can't remember if it was from Julie's or Nool's CD...

Shine - Collective Soul. I love Collective Soul, but they remind me of REM, in that all their songs sound very similar.

Sarah Pi, you caught a drumstick with your larynx? What?! Ow? And, I picked up a lot of new music from Buffy episodes, too.
I love Joni from her "Court and Spark" days.

message 9: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Brownie points for Jackie - she had Collective Soul and that brought back memories.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments Ko, I phrased that badly.
She has completely wrecked her voice, I agree. (As has Marianne Faithfull, who has a croaky new album of covers.)
I have grown to like Joni's voice on her music through the seventies. Prior to my recent conversion, I liked the songs, but I didn't like her voice, even on the early songs. Also, I didn't like her condescending attitude toward modern music.

I'm not a fan of the recent stuff. Mingus is the most recent of her albums that I own.
Hejira is excellent, for Jaco's presence as well as Joni's. And I love Coyote.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments Jackie -- he thought it was throwing it TO me, but my coordination was not great that night, so it hit me in the throat. Part of a long tradition among my friends...
Firewater's flying maracas broke my friend Matt's mother's nose, and the following night gave my guitarist a bloody lip. I wonder if any band has ever been sued for that? They're usually just trying to oblige fans, but it can get dangerous.

message 12: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Sarah Pi - time to google! Worst injury suffered at a concert!

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments I would assume that would be "death".

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Worst injury caused by the BAND at a concert?

message 15: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) *nods* And excluding death since it was bound to have happened.

I'm wondering how many injuries were caused by a band tossing something to the crowd. Or what the worst one was.

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori Yep about Joni - up til Hejira she's my goddess.
There's one LP from Marianne Faithful, sometime in the 80s, that I love. I used to work at Island Records, and met her a whole bunch of times. Very VERY nice woman, I think she was clean at the time. Anyway, that LP was on Island.
I was at an MTV Christmas private party back when it started around Paul Simon's Graceland and he did a concert for us at a restaurant, and my waiter had a heart attack, it was awful.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments Yikes.

Was it the LP with "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan"? That was my favorite of her 80s songs, and I think technically it might have come out in the 70s, but I had it on a live album. (And I didn't realize til just now it was written by Shel Silverstein.)

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments I look forward to checking those out when I get home. I think part of the problem is that she's lumped in with folk and pop when she's always seen herself as something more evolved?

message 19: by Sarah (last edited Jun 18, 2009 01:30PM) (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments Have her feet hurt for twenty five years, Bun? I guess that *would* make me cranky.

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17267 comments Mod
RE Dave in msg 3:

Controlling threads too much has been the death of other groups. I don't try to feign control over what anyone else wants to post on a public message board, so far as it isn't a solicitation or downright cruel.

message 21: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell But you could make suggestions? Like suggesting, for instance, that we have one thread for the things Larry finds in the NY Times and/or RA finds on NPR.org. Those threads tend to spark only brief discussions.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being difficult here.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments Funny thing -- I got in the car after work, and the WTMD 'greatest artists of all time' countdown said "and now for #28: Joni Mitchell". They then proceeded to play Help Me, Coyote, Big Yellow Taxi, and California. Maybe more, but I don't have a long commute.

message 23: by Sally, la reina (last edited Jun 18, 2009 04:32PM) (new)

See, I've been in groups where the old timers would constantly heckle the newbies for posting in the wrong places, not reading all the threads, etc. But the thing is, this is a group that has now been around for nearly a year, and has some hundred or so threads, and many categories.

Expecting someone who just recently joined to know and be able to find immediately, just that particular thread, I do indeed find rather ... difficult.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments I love Adele, and Flogging Mollys

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm listening to a block of German pop from the 80s, Der Kommisar, Da Da Da, and Rock Me Amadeus.

However, I will NOT be listening to 99 Luftballons, which I can't stand.

message 26: by Sally, la reina (new)

Right now I keep listening to The Kills, their recent album. The first five songs on the set list are what I listen to constantly. Too lazy to write them out. >:)

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments To steal a page from Matt's book:
The Kills>The Killers

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments I am really into musical scores right now I have sevral addedinto my play list along with some chopin and debussy, my kids are really starting to like the diversity. I raised them on classic rock, so they are used to comping.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Comping, Michelle?

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments compromising( iwas just being lazy)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Ah, I get it now!
Yes, diversity is good for kids. It broadens their minds, and makes it possible for them to discuss music with more than just one set of people.

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Well stop it. Right now. :)

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments Duffy- is begging me for mercy

message 34: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Jackie: Rock Me Amadeus KUDOS! But but 99 luftballoons...It's 98 cause one popped from sadness. ;_; j/k

Last thing that popped in iPod was a song from the latest Cirque.

message 35: by Sally, la reina (new)

Larry wrote: "Well stop it. Right now. :)"

Stop what, who?

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments I was about to write "WHHHHHY isn't it five yet? Get me out of here!" but they just reached #5 on the WTMD countdown, and it's Bruce, so my last twenty minutes will be bearable.
baby this town rips the bones from your back
it's a death trap
a suicide rap
gotta get out while we're young
cause tramps like us...

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments baby we're born to ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Get your motor running, head out on the highway....

message 39: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sally wrote: "Larry wrote: "Well stop it. Right now. :)"

Stop what, who?"

Michelle being lazy and leaving perfectly good letters out of her words.

message 40: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments Famous last words, my chemical romance....

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Librarian - My Morning Jacket

message 42: by Sally, la reina (new)

ooooooo! Do you have my shebang on?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It's on my iPod, Sally, so it came up in the random shuffle. I heard "Cold Beverage" a little bit ago, too. :D

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments I am new, what is shebang?, I read somthing about somthing on here but really am confused.ghu..

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Michelle, a shebang is our name for a CD mix. We've done CD swaps a few times among TC members. They're fun!

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

Allright Roboto,

Check out the "shebang" section - we do a CD exchange every so often and call our mixes shebangs.

message 49: by Sally, la reina (new)

Whoops. It appears I'm excessively verbose tonight.

I'm leaving in a moment to put my kebebs on my cousin's grill and drink a tallboy of Red Stripe Lager.

Take it cheesy, easy.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Gator, later!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 47 48
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A History of Western Philosophy (other topics)
Born on a Train: Thirteen Stories (other topics)