Divergent (Divergent, #1) Divergent discussion


259 views
These books are overrated

Comments (showing 1-50 of 54) (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Breanna Joy (last edited Nov 29, 2013 11:47AM) (new) - added it

Breanna Joy discuss


Emily False. End of discussion :P.


Annie They are a little bit overrated, but they're still good! (Minus the last one). Divergent is a good book, with an interesting story, it's a shame it was so poorly written and a little childish, but I still loved it all the same!

They're not as over-rated as The Fault in our Stars though! That is ONE overrated book!


Kristen I wouldn't say they're overrated, but people tend to go overboard with things. This was a good series (until the end, anyway), and so they went a little nuts with it.

I think alot of the hype and build up doesn't even have to do with Divergent itself. People LOVED Harry Potter, then that ended. Then people LOVED Twilight, then that was over. Then it was the Hunger Games, and now Divergent.
People just like getting excited over the next big thing. All those series were good, but like I said, people go overboard with stuff.


Stephanie Annie wrote: "They are a little bit overrated, but they're still good! (Minus the last one). Divergent is a good book, with an interesting story, it's a shame it was so poorly written and a little childish, but ..."

I really agree with this...the story itself is great and has a lot of potential to be an amazing dystopian story..too bad the writing level is extremely simple.
I can't help but wonder how this book would have turned out if Stephen King, Neil Gaiman or David Mitchell had written it!


line I don't think so.


message 7: by ♥ Marlene♥ (last edited Dec 05, 2013 03:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥ Marlene♥ Divergent was a very good book and not overrated, but this last book..Allegiant... OMG It was so bad and I am not talking about the ending. She did not even manage to make Trish and whats his name have 2 different voices. if you want to tell the story by 2 different narrators, try at least to make them different. (and this was just 1 problem) I was bored out of my mind.

I am appalled that this bad book still won the Goodreads Choice but I was not surprised.


message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane I am fascinated by the intricate story line, and felt that it had so much potential. I suppose its unfair deeming a young adult fiction genre to be poorly written and executed, but that bases provided a potentially broad spectrum of readers. Here is an example of many excepts and writing style found in the book.

"I looked back at my father. I jumped. When I fell I landed on my knees. I couldn't think about anything else".

All of these unimaginative, simple 3-5 word sentences. It felt very rushed and lacking. I would have urged the author to go back, ponder some of the sentences and find better and more colorful ways of describing something. It honestly felt like it was written for teenagers by a teenager.


Tris prior THEY ARE NOT OVER RATED. END OF DISCUSSION!


message 10: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat I don't think it's overrated. Yes you may think its overrated but that's just your opinion and because you don't love it the way other people love it and I mean come on!-They love these books obviously they are going to rave and say its the best thing ever.


message 11: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna The thing about these books is that they were released at an awesome time. Dystopian books were (and still kind of are) really popular, so it didn't take long for people to start getting into this series.

I liked the books. They were entertaining, at least.


Adeline personally the 1st book is the only good one. insurgent is ok, but it's a little dry and honestly i just read it and can't even tell you what it's about. and don't even get me started on allegiant. just awful. this series is a little overrated and i would've preferred just the first book.


Lucia Annie wrote: "They are a little bit overrated, but they're still good! (Minus the last one). Divergent is a good book, with an interesting story, it's a shame it was so poorly written and a little childish, but ..."

totally!!!


Lucia I'm reading Divergent right now. I think the author didn't get inside the story. There are clues that makes me think she doesn't even know the factions. For example, there's no way that people that live in the same city and go to school together don't know that in a certain faction you're not allowed to have pets. I know they say they're not supposed to talk about it, but come on, it's like the author is discovering the factions as they speak. Granted, I know is Tris the one discovering, but at 16 she knows nothing about life. It's like it started when the book started, does that make sense? And she doesn't know Marcus' son? How convenient. I don't know a lot of things don't convince me.


Lucia Doesn't the same happen with all the trilogies nowadays? Matched, Hunger Games... the 3rd book is not as good.


Lucia I personally think that they're not overrated per se but they're overly written, I wonder what else we're going to see in the next couple of months that is NEW. The Maze Runner was very interesting, but I don't know if I am interested in reading the 3 that follow. I am reading Divergent now and I have to say I don't think the author does a good job describing the world they live in. The characters don't know their own world and I find that not realistic. She's 16 and seems like her life just started when the book starts. Teens are curious, she would have known more about the other factions because when you're 16 all you want to do is live another life and you will do whatever it takes to find out about the other grass... just my opinion... thoughts?


Lucia Stephanie wrote: "Annie wrote: "They are a little bit overrated, but they're still good! (Minus the last one). Divergent is a good book, with an interesting story, it's a shame it was so poorly written and a little ..."

I agree with you, but I did like some of the comparisons the author does. I think it's better written than the Hunger games or Matched, IMO


Lucia Annie wrote: "They are a little bit overrated, but they're still good! (Minus the last one). Divergent is a good book, with an interesting story, it's a shame it was so poorly written and a little childish, but ..."

Speaking of John Green, I think Looking for Alaska was WAY better than The Fault... and why the same actress???? She's not that good!!!! Why do they chose her, who did she sleep with?? And in Divergent Tris is blonde!! hello? Ok rant over


Maddie C. i loved Shalleine woodley (is that spelled right?) and i agree that the books are OVERLY overrated. The first one was okay and the rest sucked. Just saying


Maddie C. Lucia wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Annie wrote: "They are a little bit overrated, but they're still good! (Minus the last one). Divergent is a good book, with an interesting story, it's a shame it was so poorly wri..."


btw I loved Matched. It's like the only series that I have ever read the whole series to and liked all of them.


Turtle I agree. Nothing in this book made any sense; the plot holes were everywhere. Here's some questions that, if you can answer without sounding like an idiot, I will boost my rating: What is "divergent"??? Why is it so special and dangerous? And if you're born into one faction, show signs of another, and choose yet another, aren't you already divergent? This whole "divergent" thing makes no sense. One more thing: THE HUMAN BRAIN DOES NOT WORK LIKE THIS, PEOPLE. We are more complex then just having one frickin' "feeling". The world itself doesn't make sense and can not be supported! I don't like these books not because they're overrated (though that's part of it) but because they don't make sense!


Maddie C. I COMPLETELY AGREE!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!! MY GOSH!


Belle Not overrated want an overrated book series try twilight


Dramapuppy I think they're a little overrated but I can see why people like them. The plot is great and not overrated at all, but the story tends to drag and the writing leaves something to be desired.


Wallawalladingdong Veronica Roth's writing style isn't poor or simple, she's merely writing the thoughts of 16-year-old Tris in a way that would be perceived as a 16-year-old's writing and thought processes. The writing style is genius, not simple. It only adds to the character. I mean, has anyone read The Catcher in the Rye? The writing in that is ridiculously incompetent (hence 'ironical') and repetitive, but you can really understand Holden better than if it was written articulately. Plus, Tris is from Abnegation, and if she wanted to advance her writing, she would never have asked, because that would be selfish. And since it's written from a first person perspective, there's no way she can be compared to the likes of Stephen King, who writes a majority of his books in second or third person.


message 26: by Wallawalladingdong (last edited May 30, 2014 04:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wallawalladingdong Turtle wrote: "I agree. Nothing in this book made any sense; the plot holes were everywhere. Here's some questions that, if you can answer without sounding like an idiot, I will boost my rating: What is "divergen..."

To address your question about the human brain not working that way, there is no way you can deduce that accurately. You don't know how far into the future this book is set--it could be several generations; could be several hundred years. You cannot say the human brain doesn't work like that because you don't live in that society in that time. It's a fictional story playing on fictional aspects of humanity; what we're likely to do when a time comes where there's only a small society left on earth. It's a way to control the population number without overpopulating or killing them off. Obviously there's corruption and all, but that's another aspect of humanity that Veronica played on. For all we know, humans may have been genetically mutated to have a singular ambition (i.e. one of the factions would fit them), but there are always people who won't assimilate how they want. These people are represented as Divergents in this book.
What I don't understand is why there's such controversy over the logistics of a fictional book set in a time that hasn't even been yet. She can write whatever and however she likes; it's her book and nobody else's.


Lucia It's her book but were the ones paying from read it and spending our time so we can criticize it. After all all the $$$ she's making is thanks to no other but us!!!!


Wallawalladingdong Nobody said anyone had to buy this book. There have been plenty of reviews people could have read before purchasing it. She made that money because people liked the book and recommended it to others. We as consumers had the choice whether to buy it or not. There was no law stating 'All citizens of the world must own a copy of Veronica Roth's no. 1 Bestseller Divergent or thus be tried before a court of judges' or whatever.


Lucia Don't take it so personal! Were the readers, we can talk about loco for hating a book this is still a free country with freedom of expression!! For now anyway, this is not a dystopian reality, yet.


Lucia *Loving or hating


Wallawalladingdong Haha I'm not taking it personally, I'm just tired of people bashing books that are successful and interesting. It's just annoying, you know? And I know how hypocritical that is coming from me. People can say what they like, but wouldn't it suck to be the author? I mean, fame always comes with critics and the famous have to deal with it, but we should at least try and lessen the hate or we're on a one-way ticket to Dystopiaville.


Sammy Why is this even a discussion? I think I agree with Wallawalladingdong.


message 33: by Andi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andi If I had just read the first book then I would have thought it was a tad bit overrated.

But now, after having read all three books, yes, this series is ridiculously overrated. Too many plot holes, insufficient explanations, unfocused narratives, and flat characters.


Lucia Wallawalladingdong wrote: "Haha I'm not taking it personally, I'm just tired of people bashing books that are successful and interesting. It's just annoying, you know? And I know how hypocritical that is coming from me. Peop..."

Well when you're an author you expose to people hating or loving the book. They shouldn't take it personal either. Just because they're successful doesn't make them good. But if you like it, no one can ruin that!!!


Lucia Reading more into Divergent, after having seen the movie, I think, in my humble opinion that this book would be interesting to younger tweens, that wouldn't question the world building- or lack thereof, or all the plot holes there are.


Belle ~carry on my wayward son~ no they arent. and thats that.
these books were amazing and they deserved all the hype they got. The whole series was great but i agree that divergent was the best.


Belle ~carry on my wayward son~ Annie wrote: "They are a little bit overrated, but they're still good! (Minus the last one). Divergent is a good book, with an interesting story, it's a shame it was so poorly written and a little childish, but ..."

not at all was it poorly or childishly written


Jessica First book was good leaning on iffy and the second book was terrible. The third book is to be determined for me because I have not read it yet.


Autbenj1 I haven't read the second or third books and I don't plan on it. These days you can't just sit down and say "I'm going to write a Dystopian series" because someone else has already done it, and they've done it better. I think the reason that series like The Hunger Games, Uglies and my person favorite Delirium get so popular and are so good is because they have something else to them besides the fact that their dystopian. I felt like Divergent was nothing special. I've read it before in one hundred other books.


Tayler Haha no. These books are perfect.


Babafaba(Hypnos)((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore))(((Scuttle)))((((Scar)))) I agree. They are overrated by fangirls(usually) that don't care about the writing skill. All they want is more romance and stuff like this. I've met people who like them but not because of the romance. I can relate to that. I liked this series. The first was good and the third was awesome, it was only the second that bothered me. It seemed as if a child had written the book. But they are good. I hope that the people who like it because of the book(plot, characters, writing style etc.) and not just because of a couple are more than I think they are, if you are one of these people, please, let me know.


Lucia Autbenj1 wrote: "I haven't read the second or third books and I don't plan on it. These days you can't just sit down and say "I'm going to write a Dystopian series" because someone else has already done it, and the..."

Which one of the Uglies should I start with? I've heard good things about it. Is there also the Pretties and the something else?


Autbenj1 Uglies is the first. Then Pretties. Then Specials. That's the trilogy. There is also a fourth book called Extras that is written after the events of the first three with a new perspective from a new character. That book was also very good. I might've liked it even more then the first three actually.


Tayler If you think these books are overrated, read the Maze Runner. Then you'll know what an overrated book is.


Lucia I actually liked the made runner, mix of Lost with hunger games, it was gripping for sure


Babafaba(Hypnos)((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore))(((Scuttle)))((((Scar)))) Tayler wrote: "If you think these books are overrated, read the Maze Runner. Then you'll know what an overrated book is."

Not the maze runner for sure. Better than divergent and the hunger games COMBINED.


Belle ~carry on my wayward son~ Tayler wrote: "If you think these books are overrated, read the Maze Runner. Then you'll know what an overrated book is."

so true


Brigid Divergent is very overrated. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing. Their were a lot of things in the series that bothered me. For example: Tobias and Tris. This couple has no struggle or development throughout the entire series. Sure, they disagree and argue. But that only lasts for about two minutes, and then they forgive each other. The storyline was also very sloppy. It's hard to describe what I mean. And a lot of people are like "I would rather stay at home and read then go out shopping like most teens. OMG I'm weird. I read Divergent in like a day. But reading is cool!" And sorry if I offended anyone with this post but it's my opinion.


Belle ~carry on my wayward son~ Brigid wrote: "Divergent is very overrated. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing. Their were a lot of things in the series that bothered me. For example: Tobias and Tris. This couple has no struggle or developmen..."

well I disagree with you, but I'm not offended. I mean, its your opinion, and you weren't rude or snarky about it like a lot of other people. Also, everybody is different, and you are entitled to your own opinion :)


Hannah Agreed. These books are terrible. I couldn't even finish the first one. Hopefully the movie will be better but my expectations are not that high.


« previous 1
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Divergent (other topics)