Something Borrowed (Darcy & Rachel, #1) Something Borrowed discussion

Something Borrowed

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lynda O'malley What a fantastic book about friendship and love. Any one can relate to this book. The perfect easy read for a summer vacation. Especially suited for those of us who grew up in the 80's with references to all the things that were once important to us. Once you finish this book you will want to read all her other books

message 2: by Brenna (new) - added it

Brenna Smith I agree; this a fun easy read. Thanks a ton Becca :)

Ashlyn i liked the book. i usually don't like books about love or romance ( more into action) but i wanted to see the movie and i'm the typed of person that reads the book first before see the movie. it was pretty good! but i hate to admit it--can't believe i'm saying this-- but i liked the movie better.

Judi I agree! Loved the book and I could relate to the strange friendship! Brought back memories of wanting to be liked by the "in" crowd in high school.

Kelli I know for me, reading about the kind of friend Darcy was to Rachel was difficult probably because it so closely mirrored a long friendship that I used to be in. Then I realized that part of the reason women were responding to this book the way they are is perhaps because we all know Darcy, some of us may even still be friends with her.

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Reynolds I honestly can't believe how wonderful a writer she is. I am like you Ashlyn; I don't even read these kinds of books. But I had to peak and see what it was all about. She is such an easy author to follow!

Jolene I've read both Something Borrowed and Something Blue, and have looked into reading some of her other books, but I've read mixed reviews. I don't want to be disappointed by a bad read because I think she is a great author from reading these two. Any thoughts?

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Reynolds Jolene: That is as far as I have had time to read too. We need to ask around get some feedback about the other books. I like predictable too and don't want the author to change their style. My editor tells me that about my books...especially when I want to change a storyline...she backs me off and says I'll upset the reader. And then I remind myself that she is right! :0)

Anne Hi Jolene and Kim!
I, too, was hesitate about reading the rest of Emily's book...but they are great! I've read Baby Proof, Love The One You're With, but need to catch up on the other one or two....Emily is a great author! As someone mentioned previously, these books are not my usual genre, but I love them! You won't be disappointed!!

Cindy I usually don't read romance that much but needed a change and picked this up. Loved it (i don't know about the movie though, don't think Kate Hudson fits the part)>

cindy

Kelli Cindy wrote: "I usually don't read romance that much but needed a change and picked this up. Loved it (i don't know about the movie though, don't think Kate Hudson fits the part)>

cindy"

I haven't seen the movie yet but while I was reading it I imagined Darcy as more of an Amanda Peet but I've seen Kate play a character similar to Darcy before so I feel confident that she'll pull it off but you're right looks wise she doesn't really fit.

Jennifer Some of us might even have a little Darcy in us...

Tiffany I have to say that I resisted reading this book, but I am so glad I broke down. It was extremely enjoyable and I think the others are right...we all know/knew a Darcy. Now I want to see the movie to see if it does the book justice.

Colleen Knauf Something Borrowed was the first Emily Giffin book I read and I loved it! I read Something Blue right after and liked it even more. I still need to see Something Borrowed the movie so I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD (I'm scared it's going to disappoint though because I heard it got bad reviews). As for other Emily Giffin books, I've read Love the One You're With and Heart of the Matter. Neither were as good as Something Borrowed/Blue, but I think they're still worthy of reading. Love the One You're With kind of frustrated me, but I liked the ending and I liked Heart of the Matter a lot actually. I definitely still love Emily Giffin as an author and plan on reading Baby Proof asap!

Tavia I don't know about anyone else, but when I read this book I felt so empowered. Since I was four, I was the victim of an abusive Rachel-Darcy friendship. I was definitely the Rachel of the situation, always being second to whatever was going on in her life, her random meanness jumping out for me at random moments, her diving in to steal whoever I'd been admiring lately purely because that was what she wanted at the time...

It really gave me a different viewpoint on our lives and the relationship that bound us. It really helped me to realize that maybe that isn't the best relationship for me at this point in my life, and maybe it's finally time to say goodbye.

I can't explain how much this book has changed my life, my view of myself, and my dreams of what the world could hold for me. Was anyone else greatly affected like this? I'd love to find out.

Cynthia Ellingsen Just saw the movie! I thought it was interesting that they had Ethan present the whole time but I guess he kinda had to be, as phone calls wouldn't be all that interesting on screen.
Such an interesting concept for a story! Suddenly, everything becomes very very gray...

Kelli Tavia wrote: "I don't know about anyone else, but when I read this book I felt so empowered. Since I was four, I was the victim of an abusive Rachel-Darcy friendship. I was definitely the Rachel of the situati..."

Yes Tavia I know exactly what you mean. I have been the "Rachel" in a friendship since the first grade....We didn't remain friends though and I had always mourned the loss of that friendship but reading this book and thinking back to how we had been made me realize that...she was never really a "friend" anyway.

Brianna J I saw the movie first before I read the book. I liked both.
I agree with Cynthia with the character of Ethan being more portrayed on vs. just on the phone.
I kinda wish there was a book to follow their lives without their best friends by their side after 30 years of being best friends.

Brianna J Well I guess I'll just have to read "Something Blue" and see what that book is like.

Sissy I accidentally read Something Blue first, and it didn't even matter. Emily Giffin did SUCH a wonderful job with both of these books, and I found that reading them out of order didn't ruin anything for me. Something Blue had me hooked; she is now one of my all-time favorite authors. I read Heart of the Matter awhile back; does she have any new ones coming out anytime soon?
Sissy
www.igottalaugh.com

Chloe West I just finished Something Borrowed and loved it. I can't wait to see the movie. I've watched the preview about a million times, and I think Kate Hudson seems like a really good Darcy. She has that way about her that just makes it seem like yes, she always gets what she wants. Can't wait for it. :)

Brooke Jolene wrote: "I've read both Something Borrowed and Something Blue, and have looked into reading some of her other books, but I've read mixed reviews. I don't want to be disappointed by a bad read because I thi..."

Jolene you will more than likely enjoy Heart of the Matter by her. This book has Dex and Rachel in it also but I was not disappointed in this book. I will saw I was not as impressed with Baby Proof just because I think I expected a little more from it and can not related to not wanting to have children.

Sandy I totally did not put 2 and 2 together about Dex and Rachel being in the book, Brooke! lol Thanks for that, I loved that book and will have to go back and reread it.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Something Borrowed (other topics)