Time-Travel Romance discussion

General Discussions and Themes > Favorite Time-Travel Romance Books!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 95) (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kathrynn (last edited Feb 12, 2008 04:40AM) (new)

Kathrynn | 274 comments Mod
Do you have any favorite time-travel books. There is one by Susan Grant, "Once a Pirate" that isn't widely known and I LOVED it.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Watson | 1 comments A Knight in Shining Armor is one of my all-time favorite time travels...and then there's all those wonderful Karen Marie Moning Highlander ones.

message 3: by Kathrynn (last edited Feb 21, 2008 08:26AM) (new)

I remember bawling my eyes out to Christine Feehan's & Melanie George's anthology "A Very Gothic Christmas." Both stories were good, but "The Lady with the Locket" by Melanie George was the time-travel and it was WONDERFUL.

It's really not a Christmas book, per se...the stories are around Christmas time, but other than that...

message 4: by Kathrynn (new)

Hands down Karen Moning's Highlander series were my favorite time-travels, too.

I have her book "Darkfever," but have not read it yet. I was dissappointed in hearing it was not related to her highlander series...

message 5: by Colette (new)

Colette  (aBuckeyegirlreads) | 6 comments I have read almost all of Karen Moning's Highlander series, and love it...one of my favorite time travel authors is Lynn Kurland.

message 6: by Kathrynn (new)

Thank you for mentioning her. I didn't know...They look like great books and I'm going to pick up a few. What would you recommend from her first?

message 7: by Kathrynn (new)

Colette, I added what I thought were Lynn Kurland's time-travel books to the group, but if you know of others or other author's that have romantic time-travel books, please feel free to add them to our group.

I would like to compile an area where people can go to and find romantic time-travel books.

If you need help on how to add books to our group, please drop a note.

This goes for anyone, too.

Thank you everyone!

message 8: by Colette (new)

Colette  (aBuckeyegirlreads) | 6 comments They are all great reads, but some of the same characters keep popping up over and over again...I would start with Stardust of Yesterday. it was her first book. My favorites are The More I see of you and This is all I ask. (It's been awhile since I read them, but I don't think that they are time travel.)
Here is a reading list in order of publication date that I found on her website:

Stardust of Yesterday
A Dance Through Time
The Christmas Cat (anthology)
This Is All I Ask
Christmas Spirits (anthology)
The Very Thought of You
Another Chance to Dream
Veils of Time (anthology)
The More I See You
Opposites Attract (anthology)
If I Had You
A Knight's Vow (anthology)
My Heart Stood Still
Tapestry (anthology)
From This Moment On
A Garden in the Rain
Dreams of Stardust
Much Ado in the Moonlight
When I Fall in Love

The only anthology I've read is Tapestry-which I loved because it had Karen Marie Moning, Sherrilyn Kenyon and a couple of other authors who are now pretty well known. Her books have a lot of the same families in them, so if you fall in love with a character in a book, chances are you'll see them again. :)

message 9: by Colette (new)

Colette  (aBuckeyegirlreads) | 6 comments I added a few more of her books to the bookshelves. Thanks for directing me there. I see a lot of new books I'm going to have to put on my to read list. :)

message 10: by Kathrynn (new)

Colette, thank you for the list and for adding them to our group shelves.

If anyone knows of a time-travel romance book they are welcome to add to our group shelf.

message 11: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Sandra Hill's THE OUTLAW VIKING is a funny time travel book. She has some others but I can't recall the names.

message 12: by Inky (new)

Inky | 3 comments Sherrilyn Kenyon's Fantasy Lover is hot time travel. The main character, a Greek military leader and the son of Aphrodite, is cursed into a book and released in the modern day. His time with the Grace turns into love, doomed unless they can find a way to break the curse that binds him to the book.

I also want to give a shout out for Sandy Blair's A Man in a Kilt. It's funny and poignant, with one delicate scene that sent me into a convulsion of laughter. In this one, the heroine travels back in time to medieval Scotland.

And what about Janet Chapman's Highlander books? I especially like the first three, which deal with warring Highlanders swept into contemporary Maine by Druid magic.

message 13: by Keely (new)

Keely | 4 comments Sandra Hill's Viking series is wonderful. These aren't in order I'm sure but there is The Very Virile Viking, The Bewitched Viking, The Last Viking, Truely Madly Viking, The Blue Viking, The Outlaw Viking, My Fair Viking (one of my favorites), The Reluctant Viking, A Tale of Two Vikings, and a new one coming in November (I think) Viking Unchained. These books are incredibly funny!

I also love Karen Marie Moning, Janet Chapman, and Lynn Kurland. Although I haven't read everyone of Lynn's books yet.

message 14: by Kathrynn (new)

Shazzy, which Moning book did you read? Are you reading them in order?

I loved her Highlander series and she has some really great book covers, too.

message 15: by Kathrynn (new)

Does anyone know of any new romantic time-travel books?

message 16: by Collette (new)

Collette (vwbernie) | 4 comments Oh fun! We have two Collette's (Colette) around here now. :D Great name, isn't it? lol
Anyway I was surfing the net and found this fun site that lists many romantic time-travel novels. I have read Moning's books and LOVED them! They are keepers for me.
I thought you all might like this list too.
It's a bit long, sorry!!

Anthologies:
(Short Stories / Novellas)
Timeless Autumn - Finch, Fox, Madl
Timeless Spring - Davidson, Plumley, Thompson
Timeless Summer - Alsobrook, Benedict, Bennett, Fetzer, Kincaid, Overfield
Timeswept Brides - Balogh, Brown, Minger, O'Banyon
Veils of Time - Kurland, Ray, Shayne, Weaver

The High Seas:
Once a Pirate - Susan Grant
The Pirate's Woman - Madeline Harper
On a Wicked Wind - Linda Jones
Time-Kissed Destiny - Constance O'Day-Flannery

Middle Ages - 18th Century:
The Pleasure Master - Nina Bangs
Somewhere In Time - Barbara Bretton
The Last Buccaneer - Lynn Erickson
My Timeswept Heart - Amy J. Fetzer
Dreamcatcher - Dinah McCall
Across a Moonswept Moor - Julie Moffett
Forever His - Shelley Thacker

England:
Bewitching Familiar - Caroline Burnes
Lady of The Night - Cordia Byers
Sixpence Bride - Virginia Farmer
The Highwayman - Madeline Harper
Once a Cavalier - Linda O. Johnston
A Once and Future Love - Anne Kelleher
The More I See You - Lynn Kurland
Unforgotten - Tamara Leigh
Touch of Enchantment - Teresa Medeiros
A Knight to Cherish - Angie Ray
The Circle of a Promise - Helen A. Rosburg

Scotland:
The Enchantment - Pam Binder
A Love Through Time - Terri Brisbin
A Matter of Time - Terri Brisbin
Tempting the Highlander - Janet Chapman
Everything in its Time - Dee Davis
Love's Timeless Dance - Vivian Knight-Jenkins
A Slip in Time - Kathleen Kirkwood
A Dance Through Time - Lynn Kurland
Night Lace - Emma Merritt
Kiss of the Highlander - Karen Marie Moning
The Highlander's Touch - Karen Marie Moning
MacGregor's Curse - Julie Palella

19th Century

America:
A Love Out of Time - Rick Adkins
A Taste of Heaven - Barbara Benedict
Reflections in Time - Elizabeth Crane
A Love For All Time - Sandra Davidson
The Heart Remembers - Sandra Davidson
Runaway Time - Deborah Gordon
My Irish Enchantress - Julia Hanlon
Bridge Over Time - Brenda Hiatt
Frankly, My Dear - Sandra Hill
Sweeter Savage Love - Sandra Hill
Time's Healing Heart - Marti Jones
Mystic Memories - Susan Leslie Liepitz
A Wife in Time - Cathie Linz
Distant Dreams - Jenny Lykins
River of Dreams - Jenny Lykins
Love Across Time - Anne Meredith
Here and Then - Linda Lael Miller
There and Now - Linda Lael Miller
Anywhere You Are - Constance O'Day-Flannery
A Time For Love - Constance O'Day-Flannery
Time-Kept Promises - Constance O'Day-Flannery
Timeless Passion - Constance O'Day-Flannery
Phantom In Time - Eugenia Riley
A Tryst In Time - Eugenia Riley
Come Back My Love - Sylvia Rochester
Awaken, My Love - Robin Schone
The Last Cavalier - Heather G. Pozzessere

American West:
A Whisper in the Wind - Madeline Baker
Feather in the Wind - Madeline Baker
The Angel & The Outlaw - Madeline Baker
Under A Prairie Moon - Madeline Baker
Windmills in Time - Victoria Bruce
A Woman's Touch - Bernadette Carr
Across the Rainbow - Victoria Chancellor
My Heavenly Heart - Christine Dorsey
Dangerous Waters - Amy J. Fetzer
Timeless Warrior - Georgina Gentry
When Lightning Strikes - Kristin Hannah
The Outlaw Heart - Vivian Knight-Jenkins
Desperado's Gold - Linda Jones
Only Time Will Tell - Sherry Lewis
Forever and Beyond - Penelope Neri
Blue-Eyed Bandit - Stobie Piel
Bushwhacked Bride - Eugenia Riley
The Cowboy - Kristine Rolofson
The Outlaw - JoAnn Ross
Blue Moon - Dawn Stewardson
A Moment in Time - Deb Stover
Another Dawn - Deb Stover

England:
The Imposter - Elaine Fox
To Tame a Rogue - Linda Kay

Scotland:
Beyond Forever - Debra Dier

20th Century:

Another New Year's Eve - Phyllis Houseman
Broken Wings - Sylvie Kurtz
Bushwhacked Groom - Eugenia Riley
The Way To Yesterday - Sharon Sala

The Hero or Heroine come to present day:
Night Games - Nina Bangs
Charming the Highlander - Janet Chapman
Loving the Highlander - Janet Chapman
Wedding the Highlander - Janet Chapman
The Last Highlander - Claire Cross
The Moonstone - Claire Cross
Beloved Warrior - Judy Di Canio
It's About Time - Charlotte Douglas
Timeswept Rogue - Amy J. Fetzer
Quinn's Way - Rebecca Flanders
Time and Tide - Eve Gladstone
Then and Now - Willa Hix
The Pirate - Kate Hoffmann
Not Quite an Angel - Bobby Hutchinson
A Little Time in Texas - Joan Johnston
A Reluctant Rogue - Pam McCutcheon
Breath of Magic - Teresa Medeiros
This Time Forever - Constance O'Day-Flannery
Here and Now - Constance O'Day-Flannery
Timepool - Susan Plunkett
The Desperado - Patricia Rosemoor
The Knight - Sandy Steen
The Pirate and His Lady - Margaret St. George

Half in the present / Half in the past:
A Knight in Shining Armor - Jude Deveraux
Flashback - Terri Herrington
A Window in Time - Carolyn Lampman
An Echo in Time - Sherry Lewis
As You Wish - Jennifer Malin
Tempest in Time - Eugenia Riley

Other:
The Scottish Rose - Jill Jones
Virtual Heaven - Ann Lawrence
Somewhere in Time - Merline Lovelace
Sam's World - Ann Williams

message 17: by Kathrynn (new)

Wow! I had know idea there were so many time-travel books. I'm going to work on adding those to the group books.

Where's that website? Looks good.

Thank you for adding the info.

message 19: by Keely (new)

Keely | 4 comments My very favorite time travel author hasn't been mentioned. I don't think her books are considered romance exactly. But they are, it's one of the most beautiful love stories I've ever read.
The authors name is Diana Gabaldon. The books are
Outlander, Voyager, Dragonfly in Amber, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, and A Breath of Snow and Ashes.

Claire travels from 1945 Scotland back in time to 1746 to meet James Frasier. They are married to protect her but they both fall head over hills in love with each other.

I highly recommend them, especially if you love history.

message 20: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) The only time-travel books that I've read really are Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, which are superbly awesome, and Madeline L'Engle (NO clue how to spell it) and her Swiftly Tilting Planet books.

message 21: by Denise (new)

Denise (DShelton) | 22 comments Kathrynn wrote: "Hands down Karen Moning's Highlander series were my favorite time-travels, too.

I have her book "Darkfever," but have not read it yet. I was dissappointed in hearing it was not related to her h..."

Oh but there is some connection with the Highlanders series and the Fever series. Some characters pop up and it follow the theme of the barrier between human and fae world weakening.

message 22: by Roxy (new)

Roxy | 8 comments i have already read quite a few of those books listed. Pleasure master was one of my ultimate favorites! Once a Pirate's good too. Not to mention, anything Teresa Medeiros writes is wonderful! i myself, love the ones set in the west and the highlands. those are my favorite ones. Desperado's Gold is a gem! i loved that book so much i read it twice!

message 23: by Denise (new)

Denise (DShelton) | 22 comments I am so annoyed that the covers of many of these books are so STEAMY... yet the book is a great love story with little sex (for the most part). It would appear by the cover other book that it was full of STEAMY sex scenes.

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 20 comments Just a little self promotion. My very first debut release is this Friday. A short erotic time travel of the kilted variety. Kilt Worthy by me - Catherine Bybee. http://thewildrosepress.com/wilderros...
This is an e-book only.

My full length paperback is coming in December... I can't wait for that one to get out there, too.

www.catherinebybee.com

message 25: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 20 comments Denise wrote: "I am so annoyed that the covers of many of these books are so STEAMY... yet the book is a great love story with little sex (for the most part). It would appear by the cover other book that it was ..."

Sexy covers sell books. I'm happy to say that my cover for Binding Vows fits the inside.. Do in part by the fact that small presses ask the author for feedback.

message 26: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Lea (TracyLea) | 16 comments Denise wrote: "I am so annoyed that the covers of many of these books are so STEAMY... yet the book is a great love story with little sex (for the most part). It would appear by the cover other book that it was ..."

I know what you mean. I want to read them, but am embarrased by the cover, so I have resolved that issue, I managed to find a beautiful leather book jacket that fits over "Steamy" paperback books I like to read. I found it at a Scottish games and Clan gatherings, it has a beautiful Celtic design on the front. I am not saying everyone has to go to a Scottish games and find a leather jacket, I am sure you can find a variety of book jackets for your "Steamy" paperbacks at a local book store.

message 27: by Denise (new)

Denise (DShelton) | 22 comments Tracy wrote: "Denise wrote: "I am so annoyed that the covers of many of these books are so STEAMY... yet the book is a great love story with little sex (for the most part). It would appear by the cover other bo..."

What a great idea.... I often read with my kids and I don't even want them to see some of the covers.

message 28: by Kathrynn (new)

Catherine wrote: "Just a little self promotion. My very first debut release is this Friday. A short erotic time travel of the kilted variety. Kilt Worthy by me - Catherine Bybee. http://thewildrosepress.com/wilderro..."

Hi Catherine and welcome to the group. We have a place for self-promotions here in this group. Please post self-promotions in the Author and Publisher Spotlight Folder. Also, please take a moment and read the Posting Comments in Group/Self-Promotion Guidelines.

Again, welcome to the group. :-)

message 29: by Denise (new)

Denise | 32 comments I have just joined this group after reading my first time travel romance (A Time For Us by Christine Holden (which is a pen name for a mother/daughter writing team).

I noticed that Colette (message 20 above) referenced a really good website www.wereallydig.com/romancenovels). I went out and looked at it; it has some really great info.

I have found a couple other websites that members might want to go out and look at:

http://historicalromancewriters.com (this is pretty self explanatory--in the very first drop down box titled Romance Community Hub it has a Time Travel page that you can go to)

Another website that I found is www.authorsden.com. This is not romance specific but it has a great amount of information and there is a romance section.

Here is another website that has an enormous amount of information: www.writersspace.com. The best thing to do with this site is to click on the Sitemap button at the top of the page. That will take you to a screen that shows everything on the site.

One more site that I found that I think looks pretty good is www.allromance.com. If you go down the left hand side there is a Time Travel selection under Categories.

message 30: by Andee (new)

Andee (andeed) | 10 comments Tracy wrote: "Denise wrote: "I am so annoyed that the covers of many of these books are so STEAMY... yet the book is a great love story with little sex (for the most part). It would appear by the cover other bo..."

I solved this problem by purchasing a Kindle.

message 31: by Andee (new)

Andee (andeed) | 10 comments Kathrynn wrote: "Shazzy, which Moning book did you read? Are you reading them in order?

I loved her Highlander series and she has some really great book covers, too."

Amazon had some of them in Kindle format but not the first two. Wierd, huh? If I order the paperback books, everyone in my family will see the cover and give me a hard time for reading "steamy" books. Not good when you have a husband and teenage kids.

message 32: by Denise (new)

Denise (DShelton) | 22 comments I am getting one for a friend who had surgery on her arm and can't hold a book open. I am waiting to hear what she has to say. My husband wants to get me one for Christmas but I'm not sold on it yet.

message 33: by Andee (new)

Andee (andeed) | 10 comments Denise wrote: "I am getting one for a friend who had surgery on her arm and can't hold a book open. I am waiting to hear what she has to say. My husband wants to get me one for Christmas but I'm not sold on it yet."

I love mine but there are other types of "net books" that work well, too. Some people download books on their blackberries. I wouldn't trade my Kindle for anything and I don't go anywhere without it.

message 34: by Denise (new)

Denise (DShelton) | 22 comments I have read 1-5 of the Janet Chapman (Highlander series) there are a total of 7 in the series. I really enjoyed them. They are about a group of highlanders that end up 800 years in the future and the loves they meet and the families they start and the 'druid' that got them there. Not all of them involve actual time travel but they are entertaining and enjoyable to read.

message 35: by Andee (new)

Andee (andeed) | 10 comments Denise wrote: "I have read 1-5 of the Janet Chapman (Highlander series) there are a total of 7 in the series. I really enjoyed them. They are about a group of highlanders that end up 800 years in the future and ..."

I read the first one and I'm reading the second one right now. So far so good... I'm so glad my niece told me about this website because it's great to get recommendations and opinions on books I haven't read yet.

message 36: by Andee (new)

Andee (andeed) | 10 comments I liked Until Forever by Johanna Lindsey and A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux. These are both time travel romance novels where the characters travel back and forth from one time period to another.

My daughter really enjoyed The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen. In this book, a young girl travels back to WWII and experiences what it's like to be a Jewish person in a concentration camp.

message 37: by Kathrynn (new)

Picked up "The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance" today. Twenty short stories...all about time-travel. Can't wait to dive into it. :-)

The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance (Twenty Stories of Timeless True Love) by Trisha Telep

message 38: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (CarolynHughes) | 14 comments Kathrynn wrote: "Picked up "The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance" today. Twenty short stories...all about time-travel. Can't wait to dive into it. :-)

The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance (Twenty Stories of Timeless True Love) by Trisha Telep"

I saw that book on Amazon. I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

message 39: by Kathrynn (new)

I'm looking forward to getting to it. Most of the author's I have never heard of, so should be interesting.

message 40: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (CarolynHughes) | 14 comments Kathrynn wrote: "I'm looking forward to getting to it. Most of the author's I have never heard of, so should be interesting. "

How is this book so far? Have you had a chance to read any of it yet? I received a gift card from Amazon for my birthday and I was thinking of purchasing it. (Some people know the best gifts to give!)

Thanks!

message 41: by Kathrynn (new)

I'm about half way through with it (page 170ish). Some neat (very short) stories and some ho-hum stories. Sadly, finding more ho-hum than neat.

Great reading when you don't have time to devote to an entire novel, so I read it when I'm between books. Been logging my thoughts on the stories in MS Word, then I'll post one review for each story. :-)

I don't think I'm going to rush out and buy anymore of these mammoth books, though.

Be sure to post what you think if and when you decide to buy or read it. :-)

message 42: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (CarolynHughes) | 14 comments Kathrynn wrote: "I'm about half way through with it (page 170ish). Some neat (very short) stories and some ho-hum stories. Sadly, finding more ho-hum than neat.

Great reading when you don't have time to devote..."

Thanks so much for your input. It is much appreciated.

I'll skip this one and wait until I see it at a used book store. From the sound of it, I have plenty of books waiting on my Amazon wish list I'd rather buy.

;)

message 43: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (blackrose1989) Sadly enough, while I absolutely LOVE this genre...I haven't read a really, REALLY good time travel romance in a L-O-N-G time! :(

message 44: by Kathrynn (new)

Me, either! :-(

message 45: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I know, I read some Constance O'Day-Flannery which were poor to middling. I also read a couple of Janet Chapman and those were just okay. The only one (so far) that I absolutely love is Diana Gabaldon. However, now that I think about it, I do like Dara Joy. A couple of her books where they hero goes back in time were really funny.

message 46: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (blackrose1989) It is a very sad state of affairs, indeed :(! Thank GOD for the internet, though, because if it weren't for goodreads I wouldn't even have the ability to find time travels to begin with. That's something that irritates me to no end, that when just browsing books, you have to really use some deductive reasoning to even find this subgenre! *Sighs in frustration*

message 47: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. And reviews listed on the books appear like family wrote them. Sometimes I think that from the reviews this will be a fantastic book and then finish and think what the hell were they reading, because it wasn't this book. I usually find a friend on Goodreads who likes the same books, and then will go by what they say too.

message 48: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (blackrose1989) I'm with you, Carolyn!

I know, of course, that we all have different opinons and tastes, but it can make it frustrating when seemingly countless reviews are raving a book, and you read it, and think..."What in the wide wide world of Barbie and Ken were these people THINKING?!"...or something along those lines anyway, lol.

message 49: by Kathrynn (last edited Feb 11, 2010 01:01PM) (new)

I've wondered why there's not a better way to find time-travel books, too. Sometimes the title will have (time passage) or something in parenthesis on GRs, but most of the time, not.

I've run into the same thing for finding colonial frontier or American Indian books. Frustrating.

Agree that the best way to find them is through trusted friends on GRs and groups. At least that pulls something into my radar and I can research it more myself. :-)

message 50: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (blackrose1989) What I'd really wish is that publishing companies would start lableing the spines the same way the do as "novel," "historical romance," "paranormal romance," "Suspense," ect. And note Time Travels as just that.

Boy THAT would make hunting them down in brick-and-mortar/internet stores SO much easier.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fantasy Lover (other topics)
A Time for Us (other topics)
The Devil's Arithmetic (other topics)
A Knight in Shining Armor (other topics)
Until Forever (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jude Deveraux (other topics)
Johanna Lindsey (other topics)
Jane Yolen (other topics)
Diana Gabaldon (other topics)
Constance O'Day-Flannery (other topics)
More...