The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel discussion

movie/books

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a confession, when I first read the Scarlet Pimpernell I saw him as an ugly short fat guy and Margritte as a middle aged short, not very pretty, woman. After I watched the movie, which was really good, their appearances got much better. Anyone here who had the same experience? How do you guys see the characters in the books?

message 2: by Alena (new)

Alena (AVAAntares) | 9 comments Mod
Hmm. I never had that kind of image of the characters, primarily because (unlike many authors) Baroness Orczy is very descriptive when it comes to her characters' appearance! In the first book, Marguerite is described as about 24 years old, taller than average, and exceedingly beautiful, with curling red-gold hair. Percy is around 28, 6'3" tall, with smooth blond hair, blue eyes and a wide forehead. Because she describes them so clearly, I never thought of them any other way. In fact, it really bothered me when some adaptations (*cough*RICHARD GRANT*cough*) diverged from this description and made Percy dark-haired, or short, or otherwise physically inaccurate. (I eventually forgave Anthony Andrews for having brown eyes, though.) :)

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments the 1982 version of the Scarlet Pimpernel, in my opinion, was the closest to what they actually look like. Richard Grant was just horribe.

message 4: by Alena (new)

Alena (AVAAntares) | 9 comments Mod
Agreed. Leslie Howard, Marius Goring and Anthony Andrews were all pretty close to the book's description (Goring's ridiculous wig notwithstanding), but Richard Grant just never looked (or acted) like Percy to me.

There's a new British version slated to come out soon; we'll see how well it does!

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne (Cinderella16) | 5 comments The only version I've seen is the one with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymore. It's really good. I actually saw it before I read the book.

unread topics | mark unread