Beyond Reality discussion

Miles Vorkosigan Series > Some general housekeeping

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

Some general housekeeping for the series discussion:

1. The reading order for the series, and the dates we'll start discussing each book, can be found here.

2. In general, we'll start talking about each new book on the 15th of the month, so that's always your target date for finishing the next book.

3. I'll try to make several discussion threads whenever we start with a book, but feel free to add more. Please put the book's title in the title of the post and (important!) if your topic/post contains spoilers for later books in the series, make sure to indicate that clearly.

4. Anyone posting spoilers for later books in the series without the appropriate spoiler warnings will... will be... nerve disruptors... Sergeant Bothari... Well, you get the idea. Just put spoiler warnings, okay?

5. If anyone would like to volunteer to be discussion leader for any of the books, let me know. All it would entail is creating topics and posting questions throughout the month for one of the books. I don't mind doing it, but if anyone else would like to jump in, let me know!

Stefan

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) | 332 comments I'm looking for the list of books so I know which one to read next. I can't find it. :)

message 3: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (last edited Jul 30, 2009 01:10PM) (new)

Sisimka wrote: "I'm looking for the list of books so I know which one to read next. I can't find it. :)"

Take a look here:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

The next book you'd want to get is The Warrior's Apprentice, or (if you're buying them) the omnibus edition "Young Miles", which contains The Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor Game (the next book), plus the excellent short story "The Mountains of Mourning".

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) | 332 comments Thanks Stefan...just usin' my handy webscription. ;)

message 5: by Barb (new)

Barb S. (barbtrek) | 38 comments I'm about half way through The Vor Game right now and am enjoying it, but as I was looking ahead at the next few books in the series I noticed the Goodreads rating was lower for those books than the previous few.

I started to get worried that this was going to be one of those series in which the books get progressively worst as you go along. So, I looked at the ratings for entire series and was happy to discover that does not appear to happen. Here is what I found in case anyone is interested:

1. Shards of Honor (1986) - June 15th, 2009 4.15
2. Barrayar (1991) - July 15th, 2009 4.22
3. The Warrior's Apprentice (1986) 4.23
4. The Vor Game (1990) - September 15th, 2009 4.16
5. Cetaganda (1995) - October 15th, 2009 4.00
6. Ethan of Athos (1986) - November 15th, 2009 3.46
7. Brothers in Arms (1989) - December 15th, 2009 4.12
8. Mirror Dance(1994) - January 15th, 2010 4.22
9. Memory (1996) - February 15th, 2010 4.38
10. Komarr (1998) - March 15th, 2010 4.15
11. A Civil Campaign (2000) - April 15th, 2010 4.37
12. Diplomatic Immunity (2002) - May 15th, 2010 3.96

I am curious if those in this group who have finished the series agree with these ratings???

message 6: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 412 comments I don't completely agree.

Personally I would give the first 4 books lower ratings (under 4), though I consider Barrayar the best of the bunch. I suspect Ethan of Athos is dinged mostly due to the fact that Miles is not one of the characters. It's still quite good IMO.

Cetaganda happens to be one of my personal favorites (along with Memory and A Civil Campaign) so I'm looking forward to next month. :)

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 125 comments I haven't read the whole series yet (just 1-6), but just wanted to add in that the omnibus editions throw the math off for each of the novels that stand alone and are in one omnibus edition or another. Just a thought.

message 8: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1288 comments I also have noticed that there may be different ratings for different editions of the books, not just the omnibus editions.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) My wife is currently reading "A Civil Campaign" & thinks it's the best one yet. She loved his dinner party!

message 10: by William (new)

William (williamjm) | 67 comments If I was ranking them I'd probably rank The Vor Game a bit lower and Cetaganda and Ethan of Athos a bit higher. I'm curious why Ethan of Athos is so much lower than the rest, maybe some people don't like the premise?

message 11: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (last edited Sep 25, 2009 07:48AM) (new)

We're discussing these books in order, one book per month, so let's please save the discussion of later books in the series until we get to them.

(I mean, a short post mentioning something about them is okay, but the ones above are better saved for the discussion of the book in a month or two... which will probably end up very lively...)

message 12: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 975 comments With regard to rankings: they are not always accurate.

Often they only reflect that a book deviates from the expected pattern - which can happen if an author tries a new tack. Some of the finest books I have ever read were ones that disappointed the "usual" following for a specific author.

Ethan of Athos is one of the ones on my shelf. I will certainly be there for the discussion.

I've had difficulty with the current title as no copy was available at either branch of my local library.

message 13: by Barb (new)

Barb S. (barbtrek) | 38 comments Wow, well that certainly gives an explanation for the lower rating for book 6. Now I am looking forward to reading & discussing it when it is time.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) My apologies. I had forgotten the topic, so I deleted my messages.

message 15: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Folks, a quick reminder for people who didn't see the original thread with the reading order for the series:

The next book up for discussion (starting on Feb. 15th) is Memory. Memory, for some reason, was NOT included in the Baen omnibus editions (which are, I am guessing, how most of us are reading these books). Omnibus 3, Miles Errant, ends with "Mirror Dance", and omnibus 4, Miles in Love, starts with "Komarr". "Memory" is missing.

So! If you're reading the omnibus editions, make sure to get a separate copy of "Memory" to fill in that gap.

(All of this is also listed in the original reading order post.)

message 16: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I took the plunge this morning and created the first ten questions in a Vorkosigan Saga quiz. After lunch, I'll add more questions to get caught up to where we are in the series.

Enjoy!

Jon

message 17: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Excellent, Jon! I scored 9 out of 10 (missed the Taura question).

I really want to re-read Memory for this month's discussion, but i have so many other things I should be reading instead...

message 18: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I've only read two of the books so far, but I'm going to give the quiz a try anyway. I'm going to catch up to you all, so that I can take part in the discussion. I love the series!

message 19: by Jon (last edited Feb 16, 2010 11:39AM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I added two more questions after lunch to bring it to an even dozen. So it covers all we've read up to and including Memory. Just one question per book, novella or short story.

When I saved the quiz, I went ahead and cleared all the answers so you are free to try again with a clean slate.

Once we finish the series, I'll either add more questions or create a second subsequent quiz (so I don't have to clear the answers again at a later date).

Glad you liked it!

Jon

message 20: by William (new)

William (williamjm) | 67 comments Stefan wrote: "Excellent, Jon! I scored 9 out of 10 (missed the Taura question)."

That's the one I got wrong as well. Looks like no-one has got 100% yet.

message 21: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 412 comments William wrote: "Stefan wrote: "Excellent, Jon! I scored 9 out of 10 (missed the Taura question)."

That's the one I got wrong as well. Looks like no-one has got 100% yet.

"

I missed the one asking which planet Cetaganda had occupied. I forgot to pay attention to which book was referenced. :)

message 22: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 125 comments I did the same thing Random - and I missed the Taura question as well. Overall a great quiz Jon!

message 23: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1288 comments Fun quiz, thanks for posting it!
I got 11/12, also missing the Taura question. I got the question from Memory right on a lucky quess, given that I haven't read the book yet!!

message 24: by Jon (last edited Feb 17, 2010 07:25AM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I had my uncle confirm the Taura question (he has my copy of Miles, Mystery and Mayhem) so my answer is correct. I've got to make at least one difficult question! :)

The last question, on Memory actually spans nearly all the other books, but the chip was central to Memory's theme.

Glad everyone is liking it.

My next project may be a Recluce Saga quiz, but I don't have all sixteen books anymore so it could be tough to craft.

message 25: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

The Recluce Saga would be my choice for our next group series read! We'll probably start taking nominations and set up polls for this in a month or so, because we'll be done with the Vorkosigan series in a few months.

message 26: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 412 comments Stefan wrote: "The Recluce Saga would be my choice for our next group series read! We'll probably start taking nominations and set up polls for this in a month or so, because we'll be done with the Vorkosigan se..."

Wonderful, I'd love to do another group series read. Its been so much fun. :)

message 27: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1015 comments I got 8 out of 12

message 28: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1288 comments Is there a place I can read "The Borders of Infinity" w/o buying an omnibus? I think reading that short story would have added to my enjoyment of _Memory_.

message 29: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Kathi, it looks like it's available on Fictionwise (and probably a few other ebook vendors too).

message 30: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1288 comments Great, thanks.

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Here's something real interesting: http://links.freesfonline.de/authors/...

Free ebooks of all the Vorkosigan novels.

message 32: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Wow, I'm surprised. Those CDs were included with first edition copies of certain novels, and with some ARCs for reviewers (I have the one with all of David Weber's Honor Harrington books but have never gotten around to reading any of them because I don't like reading large chunks of text on a computer screen). I wasn't entirely sure if Baen would appreciate these being made available like this, but taking a look at the introduction to one of the disks, it looks like, yes, they're okay with copying and sharing the material - just not with selling it.

Here's the first part of the Vorkosigan CD's introduction:

You are about to start playing with a new Baen CD-ROM. Welcome! It includes not only the latest book in the series, Cryoburn, but the ENTIRE Vorkosigan Saga in several formats—and The Vorkosigan Companion—all of it beautifully unencrypted and unencumbered. But wait, there’s more! Also on this disk are interviews with author Lois McMaster Bujold, and various other interesting tidbits including a sample of the French language Miles Vorkosiagn graphic novel! More than fourteen novels for free—and with no stupid codes to work around. Think of that.

What’s the catch? This disk and its contents may be copied and shared, but NOT sold. All commercial rights are reserved. That’s it.

Why are we being so generous? Simple: we think the more people who read Ms. Bujold’s works the more people will buy them. Say, one set of hardcovers for yourself, a set of paperbacks to lend out, possibly even the next ebook when it comes out. And if you like the Vorkosiverse, we’re pretty sure you’ll like other Baen books, too.

message 33: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 125 comments Yes, Jon kindly sent me a copy of the disk when she got her book, so that I could read Cryoburn too (since it hadn't come into my library yet.)

One thing though, the disk does not include Memory, which was also left out of the omnibus editions. A crying shame, really, as it leaves a pretty big hole, so that you don't really have the 'ENTIRE' Saga on the one disc. = (

I love that it is copyable and sharable - just like a real paper book! Baen is pretty awesome that way!

message 34: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 308 comments I would normally wait for paperback but their logic works on me. I will now try to get hardcover with disc.

message 35: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments Apparently Memory was left off of the disc by accident. . . it isn't in the omnibus editions because Bujold couldn't make it fit thematically with anything else (understandable!) but then when they put the disc together I guess they were just pulling from the omnibuses so. . . whoops!

I do love Baen's philosophy here though. . . I don't have an e-reader myself but I've definitely recommended the book more easily to people because I can tell them that they only need to buy the one (well, two). . .

message 36: by Christine (new)

Christine | 319 comments Would anyone be willing to send me a copy of the CD?? I'd be glad to pay the mailing costs

message 37: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 451 comments Christine, if no-one else offers, I will. But I'm in New Zealand, so if someone more local can do it, you might prefer that.

message 38: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Christine, if you follow the links to the cd page, look near the bottom. There is a zip file that has the cd's contents there. That's what I downloaded.

message 39: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Christine wrote: "Would anyone be willing to send me a copy of the CD?? I'd be glad to pay the mailing costs"

I've got extra copies sitting on my desk just waiting for someone to send them to as an early Christmas gift.

Message me your snail mail address and I'll get it in the mail this week.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Memory (other topics)