Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4) Wizard and Glass discussion

Comments (showing 1-49 of 49) (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne-Marie (new)

Anne-Marie ......

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Jumped shipped on this wannabe-epic series books before.

message 3: by Joe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joe This one almost killed the series for me. I mean, it's a good story, but it doesn't FIT. I just couldn't bring myself to care, you know? There's a reason why you shouldn't start a story off by saying "all this happened a long time ago, everyone involved is dead, and none of it matters." Which is what this seemed to say. (although, honestly, I think a book starting with that quote MIGHT be interesting)

Anyway, this one almost killed the series. Then the first twenty pages of Wolves of Calla performed the coups de gras.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, well, I was reading your comment, and I hoped you'd tell me something made it all worthwhile.

But no.

Oh well. I'll always have _The Gunslinger_.

message 5: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel Russell It certainly isn't as good as the other three but it 's not in any way bad...... I'm just reading it to get to the next one, though.

message 6: by Skylar (last edited Dec 31, 2007 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Skylar Burris Hmmm...I liked it better than both two and three, but not as well as the first. I jumped ship after Wolves of the Calla. I just lost interest. It's too drawn out. I'd actually like to finish it, but it was so long ago that I read Wolves that I'm afraid I've lost the thread.

Meli it's been awhile since I have read this series... and it is one of my favorites (series that is)
only thing I can say about this particular book is during the mexician stand off in the mejis.. I felt the tension build up in my chest. I also came to care more about Roland because of his relationships with his friends (especially Cuthbert)

message 8: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Anne This is my favorite series by Stephen King. Although this book was not my favorite out of the seven books, it does tell the story as a backflash and gives insight as to who Roland is and where he comes from. If you can get past this book, then the other three books will fall in place.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Stephen King's books, and The Dark Tower is an awesome series, but Wizard and Glass is the most boring book I ever read.

Richard agree with Joe above - king thanks his wife at the start for reminding him how love feels and more importantly how falling in love feels - shame he didn't write anything like that

the first 3 books are ok - thought book one is a bit shite in all honesty, but Wizard & Glass is just awful. The Wasteland was so so good that to follow it up nigh on 10 years later with this shit was a real dissappointment - i'd been waiting years for the cliff hanger in Wasteland to be resolved and this - well i was gutted

didn't buy any of the others, just borrowed them from mates as was glad i hadn't paid for any of them, king sailed way way off course with the Tower books

Chris Freeman I loved this book. Funny that nobody who has commented before me seemed to like it. If you take a look at the GR ratings of all of the Dark Tower novels, Wizards and Glass has the highest.

Connor Luedtke Eh. I liked how it explained Roland's past, but I missed the action the other three had. SPOILER ALERT The Wizard of OZ at the end was way too weird for me.

*book*lover* I loved this series. This book wasnt my favorate out if the series, but I still enjoyed reading it very much.

message 14: by Molly (new)

Molly I'll be honest, I got bored part way through this book and skipped it. My brother had just finished reading the Wolves of Calla and told me it was related to 'Salem's Lot and I decided I would rather be reading that than half heartedly scanning the pages of Wizard and Glass waiting for the flashback to end.

James Martin Everyone who's blowing through the book just to get through it and on to the next book is reading Dark Tower wrong.

Wizard and Glass adds amazing depth to Roland's character.

Richard "Wizard and Glass adds amazing depth to Roland's character. " - nope, it turned him from enigmatic to pathetic

Wizard & Glass seems to work for some and not for others, for me it was crushingly shite and pretty much derailed the series, after Wizard the other books came off as trite

Alice I was disapointed because I had waited so long for this one I was all hyped up. Still, I enjoyed it. None of them had the impact on me that The Gunslinger did when it first came out. I still like the 1st 3 best.

message 18: by Joel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joel Wizard and Glass was a disappointment for me. It just kind of drug on as I was reading it. But I wanted to continue because I loved the series so much. It did put some more meat behind Roland's history. But overall I think King was trying to write a love story and failed. Should have stuck with what he is good at. But for those of you who jumped ship after this one, I feel sorry for you. Song of Susannah, a few books after, was the big rebound I was hoping for. Loved it. Love the series. Just too bad for this one in the middle.

message 19: by Neil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neil Hanson Wow, I'm amazed at the common thread here. Of all the 7 books in the series, this was by far my favorite. My son and I read these all together, and we both agree that this was the best by a long shot. I seemed to me that in this one, King's heart was in the story throughout the whole thing. The characters were way deeper than in the other stories. Lots more was happening throughout the story, and things tied together much better. No spoilers here, but if you can get through the first book, and find yourself finally arriving at this one, I'd say you've reached the peak of the series. Plus, of all the 7 books in the series, this one and Gunslinger are probably the two that could stand on their own - you could pick this book up and read it by itself, and enjoy it. (I think...)

For context I'm a middle-aged guy who's never read anything else by King except this series.

Dierdra Byrd I enjoyed this one. I actually loved all of them tho.

message 21: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Joe wrote: "This one almost killed the series for me. I mean, it's a good story, but it doesn't FIT. I just couldn't bring myself to care, you know? There's a reason why you shouldn't start a story off by s..."

This one was the one that made me HATE the series & then then, like you, WOLVES came along. The cliche is: "Curiosity killed the cat" but I would say the WOLVES OF THE CALLA got there first. I literally threw these books off my balcony--one followed the other--into a dumpster below. It made me truly HATE S.King! I am so done with him.

message 22: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn I love the Dark Tower series, and although there were elements about Wizard & Glass that I really liked, overall, it was my least favorite in the series. I did really appreciate the background on Roland regarding his mother/father and his friendships with Cuthbert and Alain. I've always loved the way King writes about friendships, but, still, Wizard & Glass couldn't hold my interest as much as the other books. Wolves of the Calla was my second least favorite. I'm working on the last book in the series now, and, so far, I have to say The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three and The Waste Lands are my favorites.

Rafael Of all the book, this was my least favorite. That being said, I loved all the books lol

Susan Stec Of all Kings books, this series is my favorite. Coming in second is The Stand, then (writing as Bachman) The Long Walk, which is the best character driven book I've ever read.

Thomas Barnes I actually enjoyed this one more than number six - I thought the story of Mejis was both vivid and gripping with beautiful scenery and idyllic setting juxtaposed with the unspeakable injustices of the town.

Chelseabelle Joe wrote: "This one almost killed the series for me. I mean, it's a good story, but it doesn't FIT. I just couldn't bring myself to care, you know? There's a reason why you shouldn't start a story off by s..."

I agree with you there. Books two and three were on SUCH a good roll, and then this happens and it feels like someone changed the channel. I agree that it is a well-told tale, and that it actually is important for the readers to know this history before we move on, but I didn't like how it was plopped down in the middle of the series. Thinking about it, I don't know if there is a good alternative "place," in the series it could have been done, but oh well. It was such a rush getting off Blaine and all that and then all the sudden we were rushed off back in time.. meh.

retroj Wizard and Glass was a favorite for me. The part about Blaine at the beginning was great fun (go Eddie!), and the central story, the flashback to Mejis, was dramatic and exciting. Going into Roland's past really helped put him in context and flesh out the world that he came from. Two specific things I did not like about this book were how the central story was framed as if told by Roland around the campfire in alternate-Topeka --- I felt that was unnecessary and the Mejis story could have stood on its own --- and then the bizarre, psychadelic ending in the Emerald City --- it seemed like a slapped on ending as if the author was bored and anxious to finish the book. An amusing inconsistency is this: where did all the supposedly poor townspeople get all those extra clothes to burn with the stuffyguys every year? Oh, and the 'thinnies' were not written as interestingly as I might have liked. I loved meeting Cuthbert and Alain, and many other vivid characters. Found Rhea cliché. Loved King's imagination of the pink glass and its fantastic and dangerous properties.

message 28: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary While it wasn't my favorite, it will always hold a "special" place in my heart since I read it while going through a deep personal trauma, and as a result I blanked it out completely and had to re-read it later because I couldn't remember a thing.

message 29: by Iuliana (last edited Nov 26, 2011 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iuliana I seem to be in the minority. When Roland started to tell his story, I was annoyed that after all that excitement with Blaine the Mono, here we were, going back in time to something that doesn't make much difference anymore. But I kept reading (what else can you do) and I got invested in the new story. Cuthbert and Alain felt so real and we got to see more of Roland's character, his relationship with Susan. I completely forgot about Jake, Susannah and Eddie as I read on to see how the stand-off would turn out. I loved this book truly.

The next one however, now that's another matter :)

message 30: by Drew (new) - rated it 2 stars

Drew I loved the entire series but i have too admit that this book was a real struggle to read...i just felt alot happended but the book never gripped me. I think because i already knew who lived and who died the book was just polyfiller in the series. filling in the few cracks that might have been there but that never challenged the structre of the over all series. all the others in the series...WOW. just a shame that its now finished. but what and ending eh?

retroj Drew wrote: "just a shame that its now finished."

Not so fast.. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

Emily Wow im suprised to see all the negative comments on this book, i know while i read i was on anticipation as to what happens to Roland and his Ka tet on blaine the mono but i also loved this story! I devoured it in 3 days and i feel it really made me understand some of the hardships Roland faced as a young man loosing his best friends and Love (yeah im a bit obessed with the entire dark tower series and this one was on of my favorites)

message 33: by Drew (new) - rated it 2 stars

Drew NibbledToDeathByCats wrote: "Drew wrote: "just a shame that its now finished."

Not so fast.. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12..."

I dont know, i take my eye off the ball for two mins and a new books coming out...

Thanks Nibbled its something to keep an eye out for.

message 34: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon By far my favorite and really surprised at the separation on this. In my opinion, King was most in touch with the series at this time and never really finds it again afterwards. Still loved the journey but this was definitely the book of the series for me.

William Malmborg It's been a while since I read this one, but I remember loving it. I pretty much like everything King writes though. I say 'pretty much' because there have been some that left me shaking my head, but this wasn't one of them.

message 36: by moore (new) - added it

moore This was the best book in the series. Of all of them, I could not put this one down. I'll always remember where i was when I read this book.

message 37: by Naia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Naia This may not have been my favourite in the series, but for some reason it was the most memorable, possibly because it seemed the most coherent for me to read.

message 38: by Karen (last edited Feb 03, 2012 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen Despite popular opinion; this was actually one of my favorite of the series. I thought it was great to learn about Roland's past. Honestly, my least favorite was "Song Of Susannah"

Karen Connor wrote: "Eh. I liked how it explained Roland's past, but I missed the action the other three had. SPOILER ALERT The Wizard of OZ at the end was way too weird for me."

Yeah. I have agree with you on that. It was definitely weird. I think the most cringe-worthy part was when they all put on the "magic slippers" Even Oy. Seriously?

Iuliana Karen I agree, had no problem with Wizard and Glass but boy, Song of Susannah was really hard for me to get through...

Karen moore wrote: "This was the best book in the series. Of all of them, I could not put this one down. I'll always remember where i was when I read this book."
That is exactly how I feel about The Wastelands.

Karen Iuliana wrote: "Karen I agree, had no problem with Wizard and Glass but boy, Song of Susannah was really hard for me to get through..."
Yeah, I almost couldn't get through it, but I made an oath with myself that I would read all the books in order without skipping. Midway through Song of Susannah I really wanted to break that oath.

message 43: by Drew (new) - rated it 4 stars

Drew Sandyboy wrote: "agree with Joe above - king thanks his wife at the start for reminding him how love feels and more importantly how falling in love feels - shame he didn't write anything like that

the first 3 bo..."

Completely disagree, best fantasy series ever.

message 44: by Drew (new) - rated it 4 stars

Drew Jon wrote: "By far my favorite and really surprised at the separation on this. In my opinion, King was most in touch with the series at this time and never really finds it again afterwards. Still loved the j..."

Don't understand how people can't love all of the books, seriously, just weird.

message 45: by Drew (new) - rated it 4 stars

Drew Karen wrote: "Iuliana wrote: "Karen I agree, had no problem with Wizard and Glass but boy, Song of Susannah was really hard for me to get through..."
Yeah, I almost couldn't get through it, but I made an oath wi..."

Song of Susannah is my second favorite of them all, The Wastelands is my favorite.

message 46: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon Drew wrote: "Don't understand how people can't love all of the books, seriously, just weird. "

5, 6, and 7 definitely get out of his control. He created a universe that became bigger then him and he could no longer control ("LOST"similarly had this problem). Loved the whole series any way. Never said I didn't. Just none of the others compare to this one.

Things get a little slammed together in the final book and leaves you feeling like you just had a one night stand with the girl you've been in love with for years.

All that being said, can't wait for the new one on the 24th. Seems like it will be very similar to Wizard.

message 47: by Drew (new) - rated it 4 stars

Drew Jon wrote: "Drew wrote: "Don't understand how people can't love all of the books, seriously, just weird. "

5, 6, and 7 definitely get out of his control. He created a universe that became bigger then him and..."

Sorry, but I disagree completely, other than The Wastelands, the final three are the best IMO

Karen Drew wrote: "Karen wrote: "Iuliana wrote: "Karen I agree, had no problem with Wizard and Glass but boy, Song of Susannah was really hard for me to get through..."
Yeah, I almost couldn't get through it, but I m..."

I really liked The Wastelands. That is when the series really took off for me. I liked how it ended on a kind of cliffhanger, and concluded in W&G.

message 49: by Ben (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ben I have tried to read this book about 3 times, this time being the 3rd, i got half way!!! Now i have just skipped to part four where it gets back to the actual story. Im sorry but 500 pages of character history is riduclous! I just couldnt read anymore drivel about how beautiful susan was! Cant actually wait till this book is over! I think i will take a short break from The Dark Tower series and come back to it another day!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Wizard and Glass (other topics)