The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society discussion

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Comments (showing 1-50 of 79) (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Weisbach I thought this book was good but not great. I think my opinion of it may be jaded by the fact that I really didn't like the author's syle of writing (using all letters). The letters were in some places confusing. Cathy probably "read" the book in the best way possible by listening to it. I'm certain the different voices would make the letters easier to follow and would give the characters more life than I found them to have on the written page. The setting, the Channel Islands, immediately after WW II was fascinating and I learned quite a bit about some of things that happened there.

Alyssa Martin I have to disagree. I fell in love with every character, and I felt like the letter-style of writing was a unique and fun change. The first several letters were a little confusing, but after that, I was hoplessly endulged. I've actually read it three times! I would encourage you to try and read it again, now that you know what to expect. Embrace Juliet's clever and witty responses. I hope that you change your mind! Please let me know!

e.c.h.a The letter-style of writing known as Epistolary Novel. At first page, I did not realize that this book written use letter-style hahaha I just think its kind of starter for the story.

After few pages read, I already enjoy the stories. Love every character, love the society too.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

This Epistolary novel was not an easy write. It was brilliant and clever. The narration was wonderful. When writing letters many things are left to the reader to deduce. Like The Color Purple, it was the same thing. I could never imagine it in a movie but it was a great movie too. Loved Potato Peel. Great book!

Tina I also loved this book. I have never read a book in this style of writing, but I really enjoyed it. Loved all the characters.

message 6: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish I feel that the style of writing made me feel closer to the characters like I was a part of their circle of friends. I found it touching and at times, LOL funny. Being interested in WWII, I also found that it was quite educational.

Hannah Sonia wrote: "This Epistolary novel was not an easy write. It was brilliant and clever. The narration was wonderful. When writing letters many things are left to the reader to deduce. Like The Color Purple, it w..."

There is a movie?!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

A very diffrent style of writing. I enjoyed the book very much. A beautiful love story. I was not aware that Guernsey island was occupied during the war. I know this island is famous for it's pottery.

Tina I have never heard of Guernsey Island so it was very interesting learning about their lives during WWII and the occupation, and how they all helped each other. Wonderful book.

message 10: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth I read this book last year and just finished listening to it today. I loved it when I read it, but I agree that listening to it with their voices and British accents was ten times better! I was so sad when it ended, both times.

Tandy After adjusting the writing style, I throughly enjoyed this book. I felt I had opened an old trunk and discovered my grandmother's letters. This is a book which is heartfelt and heartwarming.

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl I enjoyed it, both content and style - but I thought the 'voices' in the letters weren't sufficiently unique. It's like they were all taught how to write a friendly letter my the same grammar-school teacher. Sometimes I got confused who was who because of that. Different fonts might have helped, as that's what you'd experience if you were actually reading from 'grandmother's trunk.'

Julie I found this to be a very charming and entertaining book

Linda Carriveau I really enjoyed this book. I found there were a couple of things that were a little too predictable and contrived (i.e. the thief)but overall it was well written and I loved the characters. They are the kind of people that you would like to have a chat with over tea on a rainy Sunday afternoon. I knew nothing about Guernsey Island and enjoyed the geography/history lesson.

Leslie I keep giving copies to everyone I know who hasn'tt read it. I loved this book.

Clara  Baker Baldwin When I saw that it was "letter style", I almost didn't read it, as I've never really enjoyed that style. I'm so glad that I did. I really enjoyed the story. I fell in love with every character and I really want to visit Guernsey Island!

Sandie I thought this book was really good, but not until the 2nd time reading it.

message 18: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick I really enjoyed the book and the style of writing.

Avril Wilson many years ago I fell in love with a book called 84 Charring Cross road by Helen Hanff written in this letter style. I was delighted to find Guernsey just as clever and entertaining.i thought each character brought their own voice and style to their letters and had no trouble telling them apart . A very entertaing, educational and sometimes hilarious read.

Leslie Avril wrote: "many years ago I fell in love with a book called 84 Charring Cross road by Helen Hanff written in this letter style. I was delighted to find Guernsey just as clever and entertaining.i thought each ..."

How funny! I made my poor neighbor read these two together 'cos I thougt they match perfectly!

Jaime I liked it, but I didn't love it.
It was chosen as a book club selection, so I gave it the old college try.
I really liked the ending and the way it came together.
Overall it was a very easy read

Teresa Raines I love this novel, but epistolary novels are not for everyone. My family members did not enjoy the writing style, but I loved it. I recommend this book all the time.

Lebdon LOVE THIS BOOK!!! LOVE THE AUDIO VERSION TOO!!!! WONDERUFL!

Charles My review: What a fine, lovely book. Those, by the way, are words of faint praise. After all I had heard, I was disappointed; not about its goodness, but about its greatness.

message 25: by Esther (last edited Sep 22, 2011 10:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esther I always find epistolary novels quite light because most people write letters in a chatty style.
That was one of the things I love about this book.

And the fact that it was light and chatty didn't prevent it conveying the drama and emotion of a serious situation.

Darlene Jones Loved it. The first book that made me want to go visit the place where the story was set. Darlene Jones, Author

message 27: by Cate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cate Forster Like 84 Charing Cross Rd by Helen Hanff which I also class as a favourite I loved this book its episodic style. The story unfolding between the lines of the letters. The characters were wonderful.

Darlene Jones 84 Charing Cross Rd was delightful. Have you read A Cup of Tea and The Uncommon Reader? I think you'd like them. Darlene Jones, Author

message 29: by Cate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cate Forster Thanks will look out for them

message 30: by Suzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzy I loved this book and think the best way to read it is to listen. It really comes to life and the epistolary style is enhanced on audio. It led me to watch the BBC Masterpiece series, Island at War available from Netflix. Highly recommended to learn more about the Channel Islands.

Clara  Baker Baldwin Suzy wrote: "I loved this book and think the best way to read it is to listen. It really comes to life and the epistolary style is enhanced on audio. It led me to watch the BBC Masterpiece series, Island at War..."

Thanks! I'll check out that movie.

Esther Suzy wrote: "I loved this book and think the best way to read it is to listen. It really comes to life and the epistolary style is enhanced on audio. It led me to watch the BBC Masterpiece series, Island at War..."
I watched that series as a child and this book reminded me of it so much.

message 33: by Karen (last edited Jan 02, 2012 04:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen Addington Avril wrote: "many years ago I fell in love with a book called 84 Charring Cross road by Helen Hanff written in this letter style. I was delighted to find Guernsey just as clever and entertaining.i thought each ..."

I, too, read 84 Charring Cross Road but had not remembered the comparison. It is a lovely book. I do not often find reading making me laugh out loud but Guernsey has several areas that are hilarious. What a great book. So sorry we won't have more to read from her. I think I'll pick up 84 Charring Cross again and read it a second time.

message 34: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa This was one of the best books I read last year; of course recommended by Barb C. The closeness of the town made the whole story even more enjoyable. . . I didn't want the story to end.

Rachael Leslie wrote: "Avril wrote: "many years ago I fell in love with a book called 84 Charring Cross road by Helen Hanff written in this letter style. I was delighted to find Guernsey just as clever and entertaining.i..."

Leslie wrote: "Avril wrote: "many years ago I fell in love with a book called 84 Charring Cross road by Helen Hanff written in this letter style. I was delighted to find Guernsey just as clever and entertaining.i..."

It's funny to hear these two books referenced together. I read 84 Charring Cross Road only days after reading TGL&PPPS and couldn't get enough of either! I'm making an effort to write more letters because of these two lovely books.

message 36: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy So interesting to learn about Guernsey and what it's history was during the war. I loved the syle of writing which I learned has a name actually.

Bronwyn I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and wanted it to go on for another 300 pages or so. I felt like I'd made some new friends and wanted to know more of what happened in their lives. I also felt like I had really learned something of their lives and situations and that it was real and believable. Iloved the style of writing and learning about what it was like at this time in history.

Franknannie I loved this book. It was fascinating and educational. I could tell where the author changed, but thought it had a good transition.

Clara  Baker Baldwin The author changed? I didn't know that. Explain, please!

Shelly Sanders I absolutely loved this book...the characters, setting, story...but also didn't know the author changed.

Diane-OP LOVE LOVE LOVE this book - and recommend it to everyone who asks me what to read! Actually, the book was co-authored by a mother and daughter (as I recall) - I think it was the only book they wrote together, as the mother passed away shortly after the manuscript was finished. Sad from that perspective, but I loved the characters, the pacing of the book, and the epistolary style of writing.....

Margaret Actually it was an Aunt and a Niece who wrote the book. It was the Aunt's first book (I think) and when she became ill, she asked her niece, who had written children's books, to finish the book. I couldn't tell where the author changed, so will the person above who can please tell me where and I'll go back and reread it to see if I can this time. (I've already read it twice! Great book!)

message 43: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary E I really enjoyed this book. I avoided reading it because of the time period and not the style. It was an interesting book because it brought to life some of the changes that occurred because of the war but didn't make the war the main topic. I became engaged with the characters immediately.

Diane-OP Margaret is absolutely right - I was doing it from (failed) memory..... Thanks for setting the record straight!

Rebecca I like to read a variety of things so this was a refreshing change for me and I appreciated the fact that it wasn't written in a typical way.

Nicki Beard I got this for Christmas from my mother two years ago. I put it aside...she rarely reads or chooses anything that appeals to me. I picked it up not long ago while between books...it was awesome. An easy read at a great pace and a wonderful story

message 47: by Hoda (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hoda Marmar It was a very fun book to read, I chuckled at times and laughed as I read. It has some wit in it as well, I appreciate that :)

Pamela This is one of my all time favorite books. I recommend it to all I know who like to read.

message 49: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth I loved this book. Found myself caught up in the lives of each of the characters and loved learning this history of Guernsey. I was sorry to have the book end. Loved the humor.

message 50: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat I did enjoy this story. I did not even mind the letter fashion that it was written in. Some stories like that, I find are just too hard to follow.
Happy and sad. It could be a good movie. If the movie is true to the story!

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (other topics)
84, Charing Cross Road (other topics)